Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2016, 17:58   #16
BHPian

Re: Hilarious parody: Bangalore ORR

Lol.. this is hilarious but it is also so very true! I have been to Ecospace once, a long while ago for an interview, and I declined the offer after seeing the traffic condition. Having said that, I worked in Prestige Tech Park in the neighborhood for almost 4 years after that, and that stretch with its underpasses and flyovers is an equally terrible mess!

Not to forget, another wonderful (NOT) such flyover, Bangalore's very own Hanging Bridge again at ORR.. I personally the Hanging bridge flyover is one of the worst in India. What with an X intersection on both sides, umpteen bus-stops and a railway station to moot, all in a span of a few kilometers!

Phew!
arch_hornet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 18:16   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch_hornet View Post
Not to forget, another wonderful (NOT) such flyover, Bangalore's very own Hanging Bridge again at ORR.. I personally the Hanging bridge flyover is one of the worst in India. What with an X intersection on both sides, umpteen bus-stops and a railway station to moot, all in a span of a few kilometers!
Not to forget that the road leading up to the flyover is even more interesting. IF you want to take the right turn towards Whitefield/ORR you need to go LEFT on a divided road appx 1 km in advance of the point where the bridge actually begins.

If you make the mistake of getting onto the flyover - you cross and go a few km before you can find a U-turn and then come back - but then you cant take a left to fix the problem. Oh no. You need to go ahead another 3-4 km and take a U-turn again under the next flyover and find yourself back at the same point (same traffic jam too) that you had just pushed through. This time hopefully you will remember to go left so you can take the right turn.
TwistedFaith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 18:32   #18
JD1
BHPian

Yeah ORR gets it's own parody thread. That's bumper voluminous
JD1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 22:06   #19
BHPian

Very creative.
A replica of this mess is coming up just a few km down the ORR at the Doddanekundi junction which has all the essential ingredients in place already: a mall (and another one coming up), a tech park with multiple IT companies' offices, a hotel, a hospital and some residential complexes too to add to the mix.
mustang_shelby is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2016, 09:15   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
I am not Kidding -- I have handled interview calls (cannot disclose company inside ecospace) - people have turned down offers because of the Eco-Mess-Space!

It is that bad, for those who dont know.
Although I don't work in that part of town, I have indeed heard of people rejecting job offers due to the location of the workplace. This mess is not just limited to Freako Space!
CAC444 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2016, 10:18   #21
BHPian

LOL . This is so brilliantly written. I was so glad when I had moved into Ecospace in 2013 but was far more happier when I moved out of it in 2015. Its a nightmare out there. I remember sitting in the office bus at 7.30PM as was still in the campus until 8.30PM, the bus had moved just a wee bit during this one whole our. Reason - traffic chaos on the ORR right outside the Ecospace campus and to make things worse, it was raining cats and dogs!
palsaumik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2016, 11:50   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAC444 View Post
Although I don't work in that part of town, I have indeed heard of people rejecting job offers due to the location of the workplace. This mess is not just limited to Freako Space!
That is very true! I can claim to be one of the people who rejected the offer in Ecospace only because of the jams and the time taken to get out of office. It is absolute mayhem to take the U turn! Dreading that I took up another job a km away from EcoSpace, but now this junction also (thanks to the one-ways) is turning in to nightmare to get out of office
Old 1st July 2016, 12:05   #23
BHPian

. This is hilarious. Very well written. Bus stops at the beginning and at the end of flyover - Almost 90% of flyovers across Bangalore fits into this category. Yes, BMTC can park in any lane even if there are designated bus bay!.
AutoInt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2016, 12:07   #24
BHPian

Extremely well written and each of us part of this crème-de-la-crème of traffic jams would relate to it on a daily basis. I had a customer meeting at Eco Space and from 4 pm till 5 pm I was blissfully stuck within the Tech Park. Situation is very sad and to make it worse, there is a foot over bridge which is coming up over this chaos for pedestrians. However, you will be surprised by its width - it is suitable for 1 fat person or 2 moderately nourished individuals who could share the same step at the same time. How could there not be a jam on the foot over bridge?? Adding to the woes, the drain which separates the service road from the main road has been dug up with trucks and earth movers parked on the 1st lane leaving users with even less options. Did we miss the lane-less outlawed TT, Cab Drivers and Autowallas? Mr.CM are you listening?
harishF1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2016, 12:21   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishF1 View Post
Did we miss the lane-less outlawed TT, Cab Drivers and Autowallas? Mr.CM are you listening?
Ask not whether the CM is listening. Ask when he is going to get up from deep slumber.
Old 1st July 2016, 13:03   #26
Senior - BHPian

Buhahahahaaa. Can totally relate mate. Totally.

Infact I used to work in EcoSpace while this flyover was under construction(2009-12). Entire 2 years 9 months was pure torture and to save some pain I had explicitly changed by office timings from 9-6 to 11-8. Still barely any respite as I used to come from JP Nagar(hence, Silk-Board had to be negotiated everyday). When the flyover finally became operational intial few days were hunky-dory but soon it got back to usual business. Post that took a job in EC(as its closer to home) and now I dread taking up any job in the ORR or worse Whitefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAC444 View Post
That's a very common trend now in Bangalore . People prefer jobs closer to their home as traffic time eats up a good 3-5 hours per day easily if you stay 10-20kms(within city) away from office. And that proves why the real-estate prices keep shooting up in specific areas more than others.

Last edited by SoumenD : 1st July 2016 at 13:08. Reason: Proof-reading
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2016, 14:00   #27
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJITHAAA View Post
A small update to the ORR ecospace situation. These are just the routine ones.
You have missed out the hotels, coffee and tea shops, star biriyani centers which have come up on both sides of the service road. How much inconvenience do these people create by encroaching on service roads? There is no allocated place for pedestrians to walk on ORR from Iblur to Cessna Park. The big opportunity which nobody probably thought was linking all IT parks on both sides of ORR through a common internal road or underpass and letting them out onto ORR at 2 or 3 junctions. This way they could have made the roads signal free and also avoid traffic jams at least near the junctions and ramps before the flyover. So much of space has been wasted in every IT park on the ORR. Take a clue from NIMHANS or Defense Area near EGL, they have internal roads to move from one side of the road to other, it is also cost-effective than building a flyover.

Last edited by deehunk : 1st July 2016 at 14:10.
Old 1st July 2016, 14:47   #28
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Extremely well written, sadly this depicts the state of the so-called urban planning that goes into the building of such road projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
ORR is a perfect example of how not to plan and build roads/flyovers.
Sadly, these failures never seem to be used as a feedback loop/mechanism for improvement and similar mistakes are repeated over and over. We have so many examples of these right here in Bangalore - Silk Board, Hebbal junction, Tin Factory, Kundalahalli junction, Bellary Road (magic boxes) etc.
Some of these are also cases of short-term vision - building the road with certain assumptions and those assumptions quickly prove to be wrong with further "development" of residential/commercial properties around those roads.
At least if these developments are controlled with better planning & restrictions there can be better outcomes (the building plan/licensing process should actually take care of this to a large extent but we all know that isn't the case, and the results are here to be seen!)

Last edited by NPV : 1st July 2016 at 14:50.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2016, 22:38   #29
BHPian

You know why Bangalore has so many ambulances?

Because people are so sure of traffic jams that they call an ambulance even for minor emergencies. This is not a joke, it happened to me. Even ambulances struggle here; I can't imagine how somebody in an emergency would manage on his personal car.

It never fails to amaze me that anytime I travel for half an hour on Bangalore roads, I cross 2-3 ambulances. I have never seen anything like that in any other city.

Last edited by shobhit.shri : 1st July 2016 at 22:42. Reason: sentence structure
shobhit.shri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2016, 07:47   #30
BHPian

Hilarious parody: Bangalore ORR

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishF1 View Post
to make it worse, there is a foot over bridge which is coming up over this chaos for pedestrians. However, you will be surprised by its width - it is suitable for 1 fat person or 2 moderately nourished individuals who could share the same step at the same time. How could there not be a jam on the foot over bridge??

after a couple of years of using it and understanding how thoughtfully this was designed, the foot over bridge will be made one way with three traffic police manning the three exits to control pedestrian traffic flow or may-be-first-of-it's-kind traffic lights to enable one-way pedestrian flow on the bridge

Last edited by chakri400 : 2nd July 2016 at 07:51.

Most Viewed