Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2016, 09:14   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hilarious parody: Bangalore ORR

Is there a thread about Companies in Bangalore, their location and traffic scene around that location?

I mean such an information can be a goldmine for someone deciding to come in from another city. Besides, potential joiners cribbing about traffic scene may whip the company HR and Admin into some activity (thus benefiting the existing employees of that company)
alpha1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2016, 10:02   #32
vns

ROFL, and this idea they're extending to complete stretch of ORR
vns is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2016, 11:35   #33
Team-BHP Support

Bangalore is also famous for our suspended flyovers, and I don't mean hanging in the middle and connected at the ends. We have many flyovers that are supported in the middle and unconnected at the ends like this for years.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2016, 12:32   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We have many flyovers that are supported in the middle and unconnected at the ends like this for years
And the highway/local department waiting for the flyover to complete so they can lay that much needed road finally. This is the state of infrastructure everywhere in the country i guess.

Chennai is no different. Brainless flyover designs simply based on the direction of the flyover.

Chamiers road flyover, pallavaram by pass road flyovers are constructed in the wrong road/direction, Tambaram Flyover still does not eliminate the traffic in that road and now wait for it, the perungalathur flyover. If people think this will eliminate the traffic in this area, you will be in for a surprise that it will be as badly designed as the tambaram one and the only benefit will be for people going into perungalathur.
VW2010 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2016, 13:28   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
And the highway/local department waiting for the flyover to complete so they can lay that much needed road finally. This is the state of infrastructure everywhere in the country i guess.
Very true. We, in Bangalore, too have a flyover at KR Puram. It has been aptly named as a flyover, because it flies over the entire route while most of the traffic squeezes through under it creating massive jams.

I feel Delhi and Hyderabad have much better flyovers compared to Bangalore and Chennai. I do not know about Mumbai and Kolkata.
Old 4th July 2016, 14:15   #36
BHPian

Kudos to you for taking out the time. This post is just epic. I do hope the witty sarcasm is highlighted. I have shared the link with a few friends who pass this way and they too (being non-members) have thanked and applauded the effort.
ambivalent_98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2016, 14:41   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I mean such an information can be a goldmine for someone deciding to come in from another city. Besides, potential joiners cribbing about traffic scene may whip the company HR and Admin into some activity (thus benefiting the existing employees of that company)
I think it's a matter of demand & supply, and we all know how it is in the Indian IT Scenario today.
Do you think that the HR/ADMIN really gives two hoots about how difficult/easy it is to commute to work?

Refusing to join an org because of it's location can at most be a tweeny tantrum and isnt the most professional way of going about.
Old 4th July 2016, 17:02   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
I think it's a matter of demand & supply, and we all know how it is in the Indian IT Scenario today.
Do you think that the HR/ADMIN really gives two hoots about how difficult/easy it is to commute to work?

Refusing to join an org because of it's location can at most be a tweeny tantrum and isnt the most professional way of going about.
Demand by the companies and supply by the laborers.
I am not aware of the scene with Bangalore folks, but if you are on the road for 4-5 hours everyday - you need to either change your homes or your offices.

I am surprised that people joining organizations haven't thought of putting this point across to the HR for the fear of appearing unprofessional!
alpha1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2016, 17:52   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Demand by the companies and supply by the laborers.
I am not aware of the scene with Bangalore folks, but if you are on the road for 4-5 hours everyday - you need to either change your homes or your offices.

I am surprised that people joining organizations haven't thought of putting this point across to the HR for the fear of appearing unprofessional!
Ha ha.
It is a little more complicated than that.
When I was in London, I have seen people commute daily from Brighton to London (approx 1.5-2hrs one way), come rain (almost everyday! British weather), come shine (very very rare). It'd mostly be cold and blustery and yet people do make it to their workplace.
So, it is not a regular Bangalore problem. People have been commuting long hours to & fro their workplace regularly. When I was in Mumbai, I had friends at work coming in daily from Thane & Vashi to Andheri. I am pretty sure they spent equal amount of time on the road/train.

To understand the Ecospace riddle, one has to be a part of it (Matrix comes very close )
Ecospace hosts multitude of Software companies. It has ONE main entrance and ONE main exit. There are 2 side exits which are hogged by two global big boys.
The total number of people working in Ecospace : (wait for it...!) : Approx 120K!
Now imagine only 10% of them trying to get out of a SINGLE exit and merging onto a road which already has flowing traffic (including buses stopping and hogging the left lane).

So, what can organizations do about it?
We have some active members of ORRCA in this forum who are constantly working to ease things out.
The fact that only 10% of the people are trying to leave at one time is because of these orgs working together to skew their work timings.
They understand and acknowledge the problem. However, one could probably try to drive across the ORR in Bangalore and would realize that the planners definitely hailed from either Oregon or Washington(cannabis is legalized there!).
A lot of those jokes have already been cracked by drive2eternity.

Generally, it takes approx $15-20Mn to set these offices up and companies can't just write it off and move on. Plus, with our country churning up 1.5Mn engineers every year, the gap between the demand and supply is indeed very very vast. It's not being unprofessional, its just common sense
aqualeo2040 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th July 2016, 19:27   #40
Senior - BHPian

Specific to EcoSpace, which happens to cause the bulk of the mess on ORR, I am led to believe that there can be only one exit because its a SEZ.

Is that true or is this a technical point that the developer is taking shadow of?
Old 4th July 2016, 21:22   #41
BHPian

Funny & Hilarious on such a problematic topic.
I go through this pain every time. A U turn of 1 KM takes around 30-40 mins.
vijaymishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2016, 21:28   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Specific to EcoSpace, which happens to cause the bulk of the mess on ORR, I am led to believe that there can be only one exit because its a SEZ.

Is that true or is this a technical point that the developer is taking shadow of?
Its a long property that has a narrow frontage to the ORR(if you consider length to breadth ratio) and unless there is a rear exit to some other road wide enough to handle heavy traffic, it wont help. And to add to this, the plots in that region are all having similar shape. Everyone wants a roadside property, so whoever divided land in this area made long and deep properties which had a narrow frontage.

I am not sure why the police cant try a dedicated two lane stretch from Kadubisanahalli Underpass to all the way beyond ecospace till the Bellandur Flyover or even beyond. It will help vehicles passing through that area, and vehicles entering or exiting in this stretch will have to take the other two lanes or the service lanes. This will contain the spillover of traffic caused near ecospace, and hopefully organise traffic better. They could try it for a few days with the usual barricades and see if it works.

OH WAIT, the Ecospace owner will not allow this and demand a U turn right in the middle of the whole stretch
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 09:28   #43
BHPian

Although I have never been to Bengluru, still I can very well relate this to condition in Bombay.

In fact this is a very similar situation outside my office in Saki-Naka junction, Andheri.

Rated 5 stars to the thread. Thank you for sharing
pankajn1702 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 12:58   #44
BHPian

<yesterday, noon>

Interviewer - Mr DS, tomorrow you have a F2F discussion for the HR round, at our company W in Electronic City at 10 AM. Be there by 9:45 AM sharp.
DS - Sure sir! Thanks.

<later, in the evening>

DS thinking to himself. It's raining and I can't risk getting wet on my bike for this job interview. I would take the car.

But how do I reach EC from New BEL road? 3 routes I know - one is via Mekhri circle - Windsor Manor - MG Road - Bannerghatta road - Adugodi road - Forum (Kormangala) - EC, another is through ORR all the way till EC flyover underpass and lastly via NICE road.

Mekhri circle route goes through city almost all the way and it will be a giant pain in the gluteus maximus. There will be huge traffic snarls at: Ganganagar (Bellary road), Mekhri circle, near Cauveri theatre, after Windsor Manor, before Le Meridian, near Indira Gandhi war memorial, near commercial street, at brigade road, near garuda mall, near bannerghatta road, near jayanagar road, at adugodi road all the way to hosur road, then before Forum mall, after Forum mall and then all the way in EC since it would be peak office hours.

What if I take ORR?
There will be huge traffic snarls at: Bellary road, before the flyover towards Hebbal/ITPL (diverting airport going traffic and office goers), after the flyover, near Lumbini gardens, at the Manyata Flyover all the way till Nagawara flyover, then again randomly all the way to kalyan nagar, then again at kasturi nagar, then comes the daddy of all snarls, all the way from Tin Factory flyover extending for a few kilometers till the underpass near KRPuram Railway Station and free road opens for Marathahalli. But after a km, there would be a snarl at Megastore, at Total Mall/EMC2, at New Horizon college entrance, at Prestige tech park, then randomly all the way to RMZ Freakospace, err Ecospace, then towards Sarjapur main road, at Agara, near Silkboard, in the streets if one tries bypasssing Silkboard and joining EC through bylanes and then finally all the way in EC since it would be peak office hours.

This route is no good either.
What if I take NICE ring road?

There will be traffic snarls at: Sadashivanagar, behind IISC gate, before Yeshwantpur, on the flyover towards Tumkur road all the way till the elevated toll road towards NICE road, at NICE road bifurcation, at the toll booths and finally all the way in EC since it would be peak office hours.
But, toll amount charged would be a lot just for the interview.

Also, in the hindsight, DS has started doubting if he should (even if he could) travel all the way from EC to new BEL road daily.

<today>

Book an UBER! 7:30 AM. Nobody agrees to come hearing the destination.
Book an Ola! 7:40 AM. Nobody agrees to come hearing the destination.

Repeat... Cry foul at their customer care helpline.

DS thinks about dropping a mail stating some excuse, but that doesn't even sound remotely professional. So, he takes his car via NICE road to EC, attends the interview, takes the offer, comes back home via the same route and then starts hunting for jobs near his house! Manyata Tech Park, if possible.

Last edited by Divya Sharan : 5th July 2016 at 13:01.
Divya Sharan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 15:44   #45
BHPian

hilarious ! What a description of road traffic & planning !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks