Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2016, 14:15   #1
BHPian

Woman and minor raped, robbed on the Delhi-Kanpur National Highway

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/53471706.cms

This news, on the front page of Times of India, sent shivers down my spine. If things like this are happening on national highway, how can one feel safe driving in state roads at night. The shocking thing is that the Police didn't even care to go to the crime spot after registering the complaint.

I wish the culprits get caught and get severe punishment fast.

Last edited by chandra1 : 31st July 2016 at 14:17.
chandra1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2016, 19:58   #2
BHPian

re: Woman and minor raped, robbed on the Delhi-Kanpur National Highway

Here is the news in TOI
Quote:
MEERUT: A gang of a dozen robbers gang-raped a 35-year-old Noida woman and her 14-year-old daughter for close to three hours near Bulandshahr late Friday night. The rape survivors were headed for Shahjahanpur from Noida and driving down the Delhi-Kanpur National Highway 91 with four of their family.
The family had started from their Sector 68 home after midnight and were going to attend the terahnvi (rituals held 13 days after a death) of a relative. As they neared Dostpur village, the robbers who were hiding in the bushes along the road flung an iron rod at their car that hit it with a clang. The driver slammed the brakes and got down to check for damages. This was when the attackers emerged and took the family at gunpoint.

The robbers forced the driver to pull off the road and drive into a slushy field, isolated the four others of the family and gang-raped the woman+ and her daughter. Later, they snatched Rs 11,000 and some jewellery from the victims and melted into the darkness. The family remained stranded on the deserted stretch, their car stuck in the mud. On Saturday morning, the distraught family managed to reach the nearest police station and lodge an FIR.

"We have formed six teams, three of them headed by circle officers, to probe the case and have launched a manhunt," DIG (Meerut range) Lakshmi Singh said. "A case has been lodged against unknown men under Sections 376 D (gang-rape), 397 (robbery or dacoity with attempt to cause death or grievous hurt) and 395 (punishment for dacoity)." A medical examination of the rape survivors has been conducted and the UP Special Task Force's help sought, Bulandshahr SSP Vaibhav Krishan added.

As news of the incident+ spread, there was an outpouring of anger from locals. Subsequently, the Kotwali Dehat station officer Ram Sain Singh and night duty officer Lalit Kumar were suspended. An inquiry will be initiated against circle officer (city) Himanshu Kumar. This departmental probe will be conducted by the SP (crime), Ghaziabad, police said.

DIG Singh said the crime seemed to be the handiwork of a particular Rajasthan tribe. "The modus operandi is quite similar to that employed by a tribe from Rajasthan's Hanumangarh region." But she did not rule out the possible involvement of a gang from Ghawana region of Aligarh.
chandra1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2016, 22:10   #3
BHPian

As they neared Dostpur village, the robbers who were hiding in the bushes along the road flung an iron rod at their car that hit it with a clang. The driver slammed the brakes and got down to check for damages. This was when the attackers emerged and took the family at gunpoint.

This is plain old fashioned foolishness. Driving at night with family/women on board, you just dont stop no matter what. If they throw a rod/rock/eggs/branches or even a goddamn PokeBall, you just dont stop. If someone blocks the way, man or woman, run 'em over. I feel very sorry for the victims, but the driver is quite responsible too.
GeneralJazz is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 31st July 2016, 22:27   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandra1 View Post
Way back in 2003 - 04 I was required to travel for work to Badayun in UP and we had to drive from Delhi to Badayun. We had strict instructions that irrespective of the emergency - You didnt start from Delhi later than 4 PM. Bulandsehar area was notorious for cars getting robbed at night. I remember one of the office guys acting against this and forcing the taxi fellow to drive him to Badayun from Delhi railway station at 6 PM. He was stopped after Bulandsehar - a tree trunk laid across the road - robbed down to his undergarments. Luckily he was let go with only the robbing, it could have been much worse.

Things dont seem to have improved in the last 13 yrs. Its common knowledge there that night travel must not be done under any circumstances. If these were local people to NCR, they would have known of this. I feel sorry for the family who were already in trauma of having lost a family member recently having to go through the ordeal and the circus of the press will only make it more excruciating.

I read that 14 odd people have been rounded up. Hoping law takes a swift course and the guilty are sent to the gallows.
GJ01 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st July 2016, 23:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

Its horrifying. Sad state of affairs. Just goes on to show how safe or unsafe our highways are even today.

I have a rule for long distance travel specially if traveling with females. Do not start till you won't need the head lamps and plan to stop for the night before you need to switch them on again.

If for unavoidable reasons this rule needs to be broken, then no matter what, do not stop at night on the highway.

Hope the culprits are found soon and given strictest punishment possible.
vibbs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 00:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ01 View Post
Way back in 2003 - 04 I was required to travel for work to Badayun in UP and we had to drive from Delhi to Badayun. We had strict instructions that irrespective of the emergency - You didnt start from Delhi later than 4 PM. Bulandsehar area was notorious for cars getting robbed at night. I remember one of the office guys acting against this and forcing the taxi fellow to drive him to Badayun from Delhi railway station at 6 PM. He was stopped after Bulandsehar - a tree trunk laid across the road - robbed down to his undergarments. Luckily he was let go with only the robbing, it could have been much worse.

Things dont seem to have improved in the last 13 yrs. Its common knowledge there that night travel must not be done under any circumstances. If these were local people to NCR, they would have known of this. I feel sorry for the family who were already in trauma of having lost a family member recently having to go through the ordeal and the circus of the press will only make it more excruciating.
Can't say about Badaun today but I think you are grossly generalizing all of UP with the same brush. That's a rather out of date and ill-informed opinion. Lots of threads exist on the forum itself about safe night travels esp in these parts. Here are a couple of links on Kanpur / Lucknow:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...e-queries.html

How do I know? My wife hails from Lucknow and I've made some 15-20 odd round trips there, via Kanpur, esp during 2008-13, and then last in May 2015 (when the NH2 resurfacing ruined the timing for me). Every single trip was an overnight drive. Post Agra, there is less traffic on the road but it is never unsafe IMHO.

Would I drive on NH2 for Lucknow with family again overnight? You bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
As they neared Dostpur village, the robbers who were hiding in the bushes along the road flung an iron rod at their car that hit it with a clang. The driver slammed the brakes and got down to check for damages. This was when the attackers emerged and took the family at gunpoint.

This is plain old fashioned foolishness. Driving at night with family/women on board, you just dont stop no matter what. If they throw a rod/rock/eggs/branches or even a goddamn PokeBall, you just dont stop. If someone blocks the way, man or woman, run 'em over. I feel very sorry for the victims, but the driver is quite responsible too.
Pretty much Spot on. I'm not one to blame the victims, and hence disagree with the tone of the last phrase, but agree that one must be eternally vigilant on our highways at all times.
phamilyman is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 10:00   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Can't say about Badaun today but I think you are grossly generalizing all of UP with the same brush. ///
Here are a couple of links on Kanpur / Lucknow:
///
@phamilyman: I do not imply that all of UP roads are a no-go zone. I myself have driven through UP in the night from Delhi all the way to Bokaro - in the night - and with women and children in the car.
But that was on GT Road and the references you give are also of mainly NH roads. All of these however have pockets of areas where one has to be very careful.
I specifically gave the example of the bad situation referring to Bulandsahr and implied that area still seems to be a bad one for travelling at night.

Off-topic: This incident reminds me of the movie NH10 and makes me realize how close to reality that film is
GJ01 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 10:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is as good as blaming the rape victim cos she was wearing 'revealing' clothes. People have the right to go anywhere at whatever time they please. Doesn't mean they deserved to be raped for that.

Blame the victim for anything - I absolutely detest this attitude - this is the reason India is still in the dark ages .
reignofchaos is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 10:20   #9
Team-BHP Support

Some developments:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/53482532.cms

Good thing the top police for that area have been suspended. This is disgusting to admit, but since UP is poll-bound, there is hope that those responsible for this are given harsh punishment.

Nothing short of hung-until-death.

Quote:
[/i]This is plain old fashioned foolishness. Driving at night with family/women on board, you just dont stop no matter what. If they throw a rod/rock/eggs/branches or even a goddamn PokeBall, you just dont stop. If someone blocks the way, man or woman, run 'em over. I feel very sorry for the victims, but the driver is quite responsible too.
reignofchaos has put into words what I wish to say. Someone's innocence (getting down to check damage) *cannot* be used as an excuse to not put the entire blame on those who committed the crime.

I don't intend to single you out but I'm sure there are many, both on and off the forum, who would have thought the same way: the guy is stupid to have stopped the vehicle.

Also, let's be honest: it's only because now we know of this modus operandi (throwing something or saying the car has a flat and then looting) that we can be smart in expecting something fishy. Otherwise, it is a very natural response to stop your car when hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
This is as good as blaming the rape victim cos she was wearing 'revealing' clothes. People have the right to go anywhere at whatever time they please. Doesn't mean they deserved to be raped for that.

Blame the victim for anything - I absolutely detest this attitude - this is the reason India is still in the dark ages .
Thank you for putting it the way you did.
libranof1987 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 10:32   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

Also, let's be honest: it's only because now we know of this modus operandi (throwing something or saying the car has a flat and then looting) that we can be smart in expecting something fishy. Otherwise, it is a very natural response to stop your car when hit.
Exactly. People can call me stupid too, but I too would've stopped the car to check if everything was alright if hit by something. Oil sump, tires etc. It has just become a fashion nowadays to pass on comments from the comfort of one's chair or bed through the laptop or cell without trying to get a realistic picture of the situation they were in.
TD_GHY is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 12:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD_GHY View Post
People can call me stupid too, but I too would've stopped the car to check if everything was alright if hit by something. Oil sump, tires etc. It has just become a fashion nowadays to pass on comments from the comfort of one's chair or bed through the laptop or cell without trying to get a realistic picture of the situation they were in.
I agree that it's quite natural to react the way you mentioned but I dont think this is the first time such an incident is happening in our country. Atleast now we know that such incidents do happen and will still continue to. So we need to be vigilant especially while travelling with family. No point in 'blaming' the driver here but how I wish if he could have been a little more careful and not stopped the car there. Hope the culprits gets what they deserve.

Last edited by Anand123 : 1st August 2016 at 12:07.
Anand123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 12:34   #12
BHPian

We have to be aware of the dangers of travelling in unknown places at night. Even know places have no guarantee that they will be safe. Most of the time we may get away, but the danger is always there. Feel terrible for the traumatic experience they underwent.
So, be careful and expect the worst to happen and take precautions.
Old 1st August 2016, 12:59   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How do I know? My wife hails from Lucknow and I've made some 15-20 odd round trips there, via Kanpur, esp during 2008-13, and then last in May 2015 (when the NH2 resurfacing ruined the timing for me). Every single trip was an overnight drive. Post Agra, there is less traffic on the road but it is never unsafe IMHO.
I travel from Gurgaon to Agra regularly as my parents live there. Around three years ago I was driving to Agra with family on busy Delhi-Mathura-Agra (now AH1). At around 9:00 PM after crossing Mathura, a brick came flying and hit my windscreen (luckily just below the wiper blade) and punched a hole in it. I was driving at 100km/h and decided not to stop there. My parents later told me that this is a regular trick adopted by robbers to loot the travelers.

All in all I will never advise people to travel in UP at night though I am from UP and do regular trips to various parts of this state. It is always a risk when you are in UP.
sourabhzen is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 13:34   #14
BHPian

What a sad incident! Such incidents are becoming common throughout our country but my pessimistic self says things won't get any better unless drastic measures (death penalty) are put in place.

Quote:
Here are a couple of links on Kanpur / Lucknow:

I do hail from Kanpur itself and have been moving between Delhi and Kanpur for the past 10 years.

Have I ever travelled at night? No. And that has been my suggestion to anybody who asks me about my experience (see my post on the Delhi -> Kanpur thread). Why? I don't anticipate this to happen every single time but better safe than sorry. Sadly, UP has a notorious reputation and it is down to us to ensure our and our family's safety (this speaks very highly of a competent government and law enforcement agencies).

Again, really sad and terrified to hear about such an incident on a route that I frequent!
TheDesertRat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 13:38   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
All in all I will never advise people to travel in UP at night though I am from UP and do regular trips to various parts of this state. It is always a risk when you are in UP.
I am from Agra and living now in Bangalore, I can second that. My father who is in Agra, never encourages us to travel overnight from Delhi-Agra under any condition. It is a safety precaution mandated from his side but I normally abide by it. I always take a morning flight from Bangalore to Delhi and reach home before sunset. The same holds true for my inlaws place in Roorkee. I tend to avoid Gzb-Mzn-Roorkee belt overnight even with public transport. You never know, why you want to take a risk of this nature. The best option should be to start early at 5am but not during winters.

Last edited by GTO : 1st August 2016 at 16:19. Reason: Typos
adi_gt is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks