Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2016, 12:18   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: How to handle rowdies on the road and teach them a lesson!

I opened this thread thinking the best way to 'handle' these rowdies is staying away from them, even if they come our way on purpose. But Nitin seems to have handled it really well and thankfully, has got the justice he deserved too. I only hope that these thugs *don't* note his car's number down and retaliate in future This is always a fear I have, as those low lives might not have nothing better to do after all.

Last edited by noopster : 3rd August 2016 at 11:33. Reason: Added *don't* :)
aravind.anand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 12:26   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Hats off to you Nitin, very few have the courage to do the right thing and approach the cops. Kudos to cops also for taking immediate actions, more they take such swift actions, more this city will become hospitable and matured.
+1
Such support by cops will instil faith and make them more approachable. And for sure the city will benefit many fold.

Today when we get out with our cars it always feels that we are entering a war zone of intolerance and egos!
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 13:16   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
I would recommend you to install a Dashcam as this has helped me many a times in tricky situations. The moment I have shown the Dashcam to few rowdy bikers & Cabs, they disappear from the scene.

Regards
From a legal standpoint, is the video recorded from a dash cam admissible in our courts?

I read somewhere that in India, dashcam videos are cannot be admitted as evidence as per some law. Is this true ?
Old 2nd August 2016, 13:19   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
I read somewhere that in India, dashcam videos are cannot be admitted as evidence as per some law. Is this true ?
As a supporting evidence, it is allowed is what i understand. But i think things are going to change for good soon, since more and more electronic evidence have started to be accepted by courts. Maybe our Lawyer or Legal friends can comment more on this.
Old 2nd August 2016, 13:30   #20
Team-BHP Support

These days police actually insist that all public areas like hotels, and office buildings must have CCTV cameras all around with long recording cycles. So yes, they do count as evidence.
Samurai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 13:31   #21
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
From a legal standpoint, is the video recorded from a dash cam admissible in our courts?
I'm not sure about the legal aspects but personally feel that having timestamp & GPS coordinates (you need a dashcam that supports GPS) will help corroborate when used as evidence.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 13:39   #22
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
As a supporting evidence, it is allowed is what i understand. But i think things are going to change for good soon, since more and more electronic evidence have started to be accepted by courts. Maybe our Lawyer or Legal friends can comment more on this.
There is no Law w.r.t Dashcam in India. As per the constitution unless until it is forbidden by law, its legal in India.

However if the same dashcam is used to spy on someone, then it becomes illegal.

All said and done, since there is no Law on Dashcam its up to the Court to accept it as an evidence or not.

However, there is lot of positive ruling in the past though not directly related to dashcam. There have been some cases where the court has accepted the recording from the spy camera in divorce cases and ruled in favour of the person who has recorded.

I would personally suggest to have a Dashcam as it make the case strong and also in today's online world, the media will love such proceeding even before the courts.

Regards
chandrda is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 13:46   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post

I would personally suggest to have a Dashcam as it make the case strong and also in today's online world, the media will love such proceeding even before the courts.

Regards
Yes. Dashcams do make a lot of difference.
I saw, in my own experience, that when they notice that they are in the glare of a camera, they usually do not bother to create a scene as they are being recorded.
FORTified is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 14:13   #24
BHPian

Good way to handle these kind of goons.
There are some notorious stretches in Bangalore where these kind of activities have reached organized crime levels.
Madivala is one such area and those goons become active after 8PM. Just so that enough darkness will provide cover.
Ejipura is another area where a lot of Auto drivers pull these stunts on private cars (no matter if a KA registration or some other).

These stunts are not about locals or outsider in Bangalore, but more as organized crime.
Old 2nd August 2016, 15:30   #25
BHPian

Hats off to you Nitin, I live a stones throw away from the spot you mentioned. I see many of these morons moving around the barricades even Autos, two wheelers jumping over the kerb at that spot. Both the cross roads on either sides (Benaginahalli and Nagavarpalya) have good number of thugs and wannabe thugs(the 'chamchas' of the actual thugs). I usually let them have their way and cross, but I have had a few altercations there as well. I give them a mouthful of the choicest abuses and move on.

Good job done dragging them to the station!

Last edited by anand.shankar : 2nd August 2016 at 15:33.
Old 2nd August 2016, 15:52   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunki View Post
Good way to handle these kind of goons.
There are some notorious stretches in Bangalore where these kind of activities have reached organized crime levels.

These stunts are not about locals or outsider in Bangalore, but more as organized crime.
Off late I am hearing stories where the autowalas are knowingly hitting vehicles having outside state registration and threatening the car owners of beating them because they are outsiders.
redcruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 16:00   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
This incident happened to me a few months ago:
I must say both the Indira Nagar traffic police (ACP) and the Byappanahalli police station officers were really cooperative and helpful.
Kudos and Hats Off to you.
This is exactly what I should have done
Here is my experience

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3931349

This was at the same area, right below the KR Puram Flyover on the auto stand, PWD Road
Old 2nd August 2016, 16:55   #28
BHPian

I Really appreciate the calmness you've displayed here, specially when they started to damage your car. Kudos to that. I, for sure would have panicked and perhaps lost my cool. And its so refreshing to see the attitude of the police and the insurance company.

The sad thing on the roads these days is that people who commit the crime themselves, shout at you and abuse you. They jump signals, they drive on the wrong side, they take turns where it is prohibited, and if you just point it out to them. Just a wave of the hand, they turn really aggressive and start shouting at you in return.

Have just learnt to ignore and live with such instances these days, no use disrupting my peace of mind by getting into an argument in such scenarios, its of absolutely no use. India being a vast land with massive population and diversity, there'll be all kinds of people on the road and you just have to accept it.
Old 2nd August 2016, 16:57   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I'm not sure about the legal aspects but personally feel that having timestamp & GPS coordinates (you need a dashcam that supports GPS) will help corroborate when used as evidence.
Yes video evidence can be used as evidence. Not just in traffic violation cases but also in criminal and civil disputes.

Indian law, antiquated in many areas is actually right up there when it comes to video evidence. I found this out during one of the legal proceedings that I had to attend where I had video recordings that could be filed as evidence and was accepted at the District Court level. Many times the legal counsel is at fault for the video evidence to be thrown out. It is another matter if the evidence helps the case or not.

DISCLAIMER - I am not a lawyer, so take the below statements as anecdotal and always consult an attorney.

The video evidence to be submitted by way of a CD or DVD is accepted as long as there is a clear chain of evidence from source to destination. What I mean here is that this DVD for example if burned from the video from a dashcam which was copied onto your laptop and you did all the work. Then you will need to provide an legal affidavit stating that you own the dashcam (with serial number) which recorded the said incident which was copied to your laptop (Make, serial number) and then burned into a DVD using the DVD writer in the same laptop.

If anyone calls the evidence for cross examination or objects to the veracity of the video this affidavit and any of the electronic gadgets used in the process will need to submitted. If someone else performed the recording and burning of DVD for you, then they provide the affidavit and should be available to come to court to confirm your statements.
Old 2nd August 2016, 17:12   #30
BHPian

Really appreciate your attitude and presence of mind Nitin . Also appreciate the quick actions taken by Police. You are really fortunate to get their help on time.

I was dashed by an errant biker in Feb 2016. Lodged the complaint with Shil Phata Police Station on Kalyan-Navi Mumbai road but still no word from them.

Now-a-days I drive in Pune/PCMC almost daily. I was wondering what to do if I hit someone going triple seat on bike and your post has shown me the correct way to deal with them. However, I still follow the "you go first" approach which has saved me many times from conflicts. Prevention is always better than cure .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks