Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2018, 06:06   #2626
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
So that means i need to put the fastag near the drivers corner as the factory fitted one is near the passenger.
I have placed at centre, behind rear view mirror. No issues so far.
Old 18th May 2018, 07:23   #2627
BHPian

Quote:
So that means i need to put the fastag near the drivers corner as the factory fitted one is near the passenger.

Not necessarily. I've put my FASTag on the passenger side at the top of the glass & it works just fine.

As long as the tag is pasted correctly & in a neat manner there won't be any issue.
Old 18th May 2018, 11:07   #2628
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Quoting myself and I really hope this should help in terms to the confusions that you have regarding the placement of the tag:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Guys, paste the tag 'anywhere' on the front windscreen and it won't really matter. The System would still scan it anyway.

The reasons for the placement of the Tag near the IRVM on right hand side:
- It is easier for the Toll attendant to manually scan it in case the automated scanner is not functioning/absent by just stretching his hand out of the window

- It is also easier for the automated scanner to detect these tags because the pillar on which this is hosted is mostly on your (driver's) right hand side

- It is easier for the man guarding the booth to spot your tag with that FASTag logo and hence allow you to pass into the dedicated lane meant for FASTag

- It is easier to fix the tag on the right hand side and leave the left side for a lot of other stickers, including the OEM RFID that comes in all cars post 2013
Hence, don't worry too much on placement as long as you walk outside your car and are able to spot the tag easily from a distance.
Regarding the scanner not being able to read when RFID is present, to me it was quite a regular affair when I had BETPL RFID and FASTag and I used to pass the 2 booths on a particular route. It always failed to scan at first attempt and at once the booth staff also asked me to remove the other tag.

Last edited by paragsachania : 18th May 2018 at 11:08.
Old 18th May 2018, 11:20   #2629
Senior - BHPian

I have just ordered a FastTag through ICICI,

Not sure if this was answered already, but does this thing work if the windshield has sunfilms on it? I have the 3M CR70 on my windshield!
Old 18th May 2018, 18:47   #2630
BHPian

Hi everyone, What perpose does that factory fitted RFID serve? I don't know about it as my old K10 Alto doesn't have it.
Old 18th May 2018, 18:55   #2631
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
I have just ordered a FastTag through ICICI,

Not sure if this was answered already, but does this thing work if the windshield has sunfilms on it? I have the 3M CR70 on my windshield!
It works .

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
+1 works fine with the film. No need to cut or do anything else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoInt View Post
I have also pasted on CR70 film behind IVRM. It works fine. No issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavu75 View Post
I have 3M CR 70 sun-film on my Innova's windshield and pasted the tag just behind the mirror. It's working through the film and not giving me any issues.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
Hi everyone, What perpose does that factory fitted RFID serve? I don't know about it as my old K10 Alto doesn't have it.
It was supposed to serve multiple purposes including toll as well as Service records but unfortunately it is only occupying a place on the windscreen for now.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2018, 09:08   #2632
BHPian

Just came back from Coimbatore road trip and got rapped by boom gate.

The boom gate at Veeracholapuram Toll Gate is manned by impatient attendants. It was about 1 Noon and Sun was at its peak. I was about 2-3 cars behind the queue in FASTag lane. Suddenly the attendant signalled all vehicles to proceed without the mandate slow pace and I followed them.

But I felt something was wrong and slowed down and allowed the car before me to proceed leaving behind a healthy 4 meter gap and just rolling at walking pace.

Just as I crossed the gate, it just crashed with a loud thud on my windshield. Got twisted and recoiled on made a scruff mark on the bonnet and rear right side wheel arch.

I called the attendant and gave him a piece of mind for making people hurry and as usual the guy was grinning and saying it falls automatically. Asked him if he will be OK if the same happens to him, his car with his family in it.

The problem that I am seeing is that, automation though getting implemented, maintenance and quick skilled workforce is lagging behind. Far far behind. Inspite of knowing that the gate is malfunctioning, the staff is silent and allowing the queue to pass through.

Will he have the same grin had this happened to a local MLA, MP or any political bigwigs ?

Beware of the boom gate. The slower you move, no matter how loud the honking behind, or how hurridly the attendants call you. Just move at snails pace. There is no going back on the damage that these gates inflict on your vehicle.
prithm is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 09:37   #2633
Distinguished - BHPian

Bangalore - Hubli:

I started from Bangalore at 2:45 AM, Fastag worked on all tolls but it was slower than the normal lanes. At some tolls Fastag is enabled in other lanes as well but there is no sign board indicating the same.

During the return, Tumkur Fastag lane had huge queue of trucks, so I took the lane next to it which had just 4-5 cars and toll guy let me go as soon as I said Fastag. So far the amount is not deducted as well.

Overall, I couldn't zip through the tolls
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 10:31   #2634
Senior - BHPian

While driving towards Kerala on 16th, I ended up in a non-FASTag lane of the Krishnagiri toll booth during day time. Partly my mistake, because I assumed that all lanes had the reader and wasn't attentively looking for the signage in the lane I was in - the adjacent lane had such a board while my view ahead was blocked by a container lorry. The toll booth operator demanded that I pay cash, or reverse out and move to a FASTag enabled lane. Just as I slotted to reverse, to make things interesting, a trailer lorry and a few more trucks queued up behind me. The operator wanted me to make my way out of the lane. Seeing the queue building up, I requested that they scan the tag using the handheld scanner. But they came up with some cock and bull story - it wasn't working, then, it was locked in some cabin, finally, it was not allowed to be used when there are not many vehicles. Meanwhile the lorry driver walked up to the toll booth to find out what's causing the inordinate delay. The security staff tried to make the other vehicles move to the adjacent lanes and also requested the trailer lorry to reverse out. He obliged. So did I. Shifted to reverse and moved about a few metres, and I saw a guy holding the handheld scanner waving at me in the very lane I was blocking traffic (it was the supervisor). Went ahead, got the tag scanned and I was off in less than 10 seconds. Had they been a little sensible, all of us would've had to wait 10 minutes lesser and also avoided pollution. The toll booth operator was unapologetic while the supervisor was.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Not all lanes are FASTag enabled in Krishnagiri. Always look for signage. Don't believe everything that the toll operators dish out
silversteed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 11:49   #2635
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
MORAL OF THE STORY: Not all lanes are FASTag enabled in Krishnagiri. Always look for signage. Don't believe everything that the toll operators dish out
These are the 3 lanes with Fastag @ Krishnagiri(this is towards Salem/Chennai), one dedicated lane and two hybrid lanes.

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-img_20180317_062654011.jpg
arun_josie is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 13:02   #2636
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
Just came back from Coimbatore road trip and got rapped by boom gate.

I am always very cautious of these automated barriers. Sorry to hear about your ordeal, people get very impatient on roads. I hope your windscreen is not damaged. Did you filled any complaint ?
Old 22nd May 2018, 13:10   #2637
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
These are the 3 lanes with Fastag @ Krishnagiri(this is towards Salem/Chennai), one dedicated lane and two hybrid lanes.
Wouldn't it have been better to have the 2 hybrid Fastag/ETC lanes, one on either side of the dedicated Fastag/ETC lane ? And then maybe replicate this pattern across toll plazas so that it becomes easier for folks with Fastag to end up on one of these lanes in the middle ?

This can help during heavy traffic days like holidays and weekends when locating the lane becomes a big challenge with the long line of vehicles.

It sucks when it comes to standardization at NHAI toll plazas, even lane/toll booth numbering isn't standard, some go from left to right and others from right to left
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 14:24   #2638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who_are_you View Post
I am always very cautious of these automated barriers. Sorry to hear about your ordeal, people get very impatient on roads. I hope your windscreen is not damaged. Did you filled any complaint ?
Windscreen is not damaged, but there are scruff marks on bonnet, door and wheel arch.

There is no way they will attend to this. There is no process to lodge a complaint since this is a remote spot and utter waste of time trying to reason out with anyone.

They are so lazy and utterly insensitive to customer issues. There was not a ounce of remorse on that face. Rather a useless grin which only adds to your anger.
Old 22nd May 2018, 15:02   #2639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
Just as I crossed the gate, it just crashed with a loud thud on my windshield. Got twisted and recoiled on made a scruff mark on the bonnet and rear right side wheel arch.
I am missing something here. Did you cross the gate before the gate closed down? Arent we suppose to cross it only after the gate closes and reopens again after the vehicle ahead crosses the same?
Old 22nd May 2018, 15:38   #2640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Wouldn't it have been ...
There are a many different ways to improve the FASTag experience. But we are after the initial hype and the implementation part is a hit or miss affair. If they were half as serious as they ought to have been with the RFID tag affixed on all new vehicles, the procurement part could've been improved. If the NHAI had some forethought, they would have started with making the lane numbering uniform (either L to R or R to L all over the country), then assigned the same lane number(s) for FASTag. Less said about the customer support, the better.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed