Team-BHP > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2019, 13:45   #3961
Distinguished - BHPian
 
hemanth.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,014
Thanked: 11,354 Times
Default Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkothak View Post
Hello Friends,

I have a query, I have purchased Vento TDI on November 22nd. And here in Hyderabad, first you would get a Temporary registration number and to get a permanent RC, it takes at least 2 to 3 weeks time. And I am planning for a 600 Kms trip on November 30th. So, my query is, can I get a Fastag at any NHAI tolls based on the Temporary registration number?
My friend had a Fastag from ICICI Bank and he had requested a special number which took some time. Till that time, the tag had Chasis number in place of the registration number and there were many trips done in that state. It worked flawlessly. He later updated the registration number by raising a ticket in the account. he uploaded the RC card picture and they updated it.

The only issue till the registration number was updated was that UPI recharging was not possible. The tag could however be recharged by logging into the ICICI Fastag account.

In fact once he made the UPI recharge of a small amount just to check. I was debited from the account but not credited to the tag. It took another ticket and couple of calls to the customer care to get that refunded.
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 13:56   #3962
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,746
Thanked: 2,838 Times
Default Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkothak View Post
can I get a Fastag at any NHAI tolls based on the Temporary registration number?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Till that time, the tag had Chasis number in place of the registration number and there were many trips done in that state.
My car, purchased last December, had the dealer-default Paytm tag activated by way of VIN. I had a special number request which took about a month the come through. The tag though stayed active and to this day it is shown in my Paytm account with the VIN only (I have not bothered to update the actual registration number there). I have so far driven through maybe 20-25 fastag-enabled toll booths in 3 states; not a single issue.
binand is offline  
Old 29th November 2019, 13:58   #3963
Senior - BHPian
 
nairrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kannur
Posts: 2,249
Thanked: 171 Times
Default Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikalp View Post
Bank neutral Fastags are available on Amazon for Rs.1 (+Rs.80 Delivery charge). Just ordered 2 for Rs.82.
Link if anyone is interested: https://amzn.to/2ryUyvu
Be warned that they keep on getting out of stock very fast.

Just checked. It's out of stock, as of now.
nairrk is offline  
Old 29th November 2019, 14:33   #3964
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Chennai
Posts: 146
Thanked: 384 Times
Default Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Hi All,

I have not yet applied for the Fastag but I suspect I might have to travel from Chennai to Bangalore on 1st December. Most of the online article are not talking about "Pay cash" counters. Those will be open as usual right? I will be able to travel by paying cash at tolls right?

Thanks!
nivatakavacha is offline  
Old 29th November 2019, 14:38   #3965
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 18
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Can we rotate and use one fastag on 2-3 cars?

Seems unnecessary overhead to get individual fastag when we don't use tolls often and we know ahead of time which car will use tolls for the day.
seltos98 is offline  
Old 29th November 2019, 15:16   #3966
BHPian
 
Tygerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: PNQ-BLR-CNN
Posts: 39
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

I believe that this is a great initiative if executed rightly. I hope that we do not end up in a situation where there are no stern measures of checking non Fastag cars coming into the fastag lanes. I understand that there would be one or two or more lanes that would be still functioning for non tagged cars and that they would pay a lot more than the vehicles with tags. Also the infrastructure - It shouldn't happen that the tag readers end up defunct without regular maintenance and that we end up in a situation where there will be manual effort to read the tags. A streamlined process is always welcome.

I have ordered a Fastag through Paytm. The ordering experience has been great. Just had to upload a picture of the RC. I paid 500 INR and I can already see 150 in the fastag wallet. However I think there is a major delay in delivery. I am in Pune and I ordered it on Nov 17th. The fastag is supposed to be shipped only today (Nov 29th) and I am supposed to receive it only on Dec 2nd. But I think once I have it, its going to be breeze to use it given the user friendliness of paytm.

I cant wait to stick that up and go for a long spin. This is the first time I will be using a fastag. I am going on a very long round trip (Pune-Goa-Kannur-Coorg (Nagarhole)-Bangalore-Pune) starting Dec 19th. Perhaps I can share my experience of fastag usage once I am back. Also, I wish to write my first travelogue
Tygerman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 15:25   #3967
BHPian
 
ank.nsit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 617
Thanked: 304 Times
Default Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seltos98 View Post
Can we rotate and use one fastag on 2-3 cars?
...
Yes, I have not seen the check of car number vs tag being done anywhere.
ank.nsit is offline  
Old 29th November 2019, 15:38   #3968
BHPian
 
risga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 230
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
Yes, I have not seen the check of car number vs tag being done anywhere.
This might be illegal as the Tags are supposed to be linked to the registration. Please check to avoid unnecessary complications later.
risga is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 15:42   #3969
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 6,445
Thanked: 7,864 Times
Default Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivatakavacha View Post
Most of the online article are not talking about "Pay cash" counters. Those will be open as usual right? I will be able to travel by paying cash at tolls right?
The plan announced in June/July this year by NHAI was that there would be just one non-fastag lane that accepts cash. There was also another news that any non-fastag vehicle entering a fastag lane will have to pay double the regular toll charge. Remains to be seen how this will be implemented from Dec 1. I've also heard that all cash payments (in the cash lane) will also be double the regular toll charge, though I'm not really sure about this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seltos98 View Post
Can we rotate and use one fastag on 2-3 cars?

Seems unnecessary overhead to get individual fastag when we don't use tolls often and we know ahead of time which car will use tolls for the day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
Yes, I have not seen the check of car number vs tag being done anywhere.
No, you should have a separate tag for every car. The tag is linked to the vehicle (and it's RC/Chassis etc, so it should be easy for them to verify later if the registration plate matches with the tag that passed through the toll). Sometimes, when the toll plaza attendant is operating the lane, the tag that is detected will show up details of the vehicle on their computer screen and they can decide to allow it or not

Also, since the larger commercial vehicle types like trucks, etc have higher tolls, this "sharing" of tag could possibly lead to lot of evasion/misuse.

We have this entire thread dedicated to the Fastag topic since 2015-16, please read up on the initial few posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risga View Post
This might be illegal as the Tags are supposed to be linked to the registration. Please check to avoid unnecessary complications later.
Yes, indeed!

Last edited by NPV : 29th November 2019 at 15:44.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 15:50   #3970
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 2,158
Thanked: 1,421 Times
Default Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivatakavacha View Post
Hi All,

I have not yet applied for the Fastag but I suspect I might have to travel from Chennai to Bangalore on 1st December. Most of the online article are not talking about "Pay cash" counters. Those will be open as usual right? I will be able to travel by paying cash at tolls right?

Thanks!
You have to pay double the charge in case you do not have FASTAG. So watch out.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 15:58   #3971
BHPian
 
Geo_Ipe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vellore
Posts: 747
Thanked: 1,648 Times
Default Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivatakavacha View Post
Hi All,

I have not yet applied for the Fastag but I suspect I might have to travel from Chennai to Bangalore on 1st December. Most of the online article are not talking about "Pay cash" counters. Those will be open as usual right? I will be able to travel by paying cash at tolls right?

Thanks!
Just drove to Bangalore from Vellore and back yesterday. Attibele and Electronic City Flyover tolls had 'cash' counters marked at the extreme left lanes. Pallikonda & Vaniyambadi tolls did not have any marking. Expect the 'Cash' lanes to be super busy if NHAI actually implements Fastag on December 1.
Geo_Ipe is offline  
Old 29th November 2019, 15:59   #3972
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Chennai
Posts: 146
Thanked: 384 Times
Default Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The plan announced in June/July this year by NHAI was that there would be just one non-fastag lane that accepts cash. There was also another news that any non-fastag vehicle entering a fastag lane will have to pay double the regular toll charge. Remains to be seen how this will be implemented from Dec 1. I've also heard that all cash payments (in the cash lane) will also be double the regular toll charge, though I'm not really sure about this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
You have to pay double the charge in case you do not have FASTAG. So watch out.
Thanks for the information; I guess I will take the train instead to be on the safer side!!
nivatakavacha is offline  
Old 29th November 2019, 16:01   #3973
BHPian
 
praveen_v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 486
Thanked: 162 Times
Default Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
My friend had a Fastag from ICICI Bank and he had requested a special number which took some time. Till that time, the tag had Chasis number in place of the registration number and there were many trips done in that state. It worked flawlessly. He later updated the registration number by raising a ticket in the account. he uploaded the RC card picture and they updated it.

The only issue till the registration number was updated was that UPI recharging was not possible. The tag could however be recharged by logging into the ICICI Fastag account.

In fact once he made the UPI recharge of a small amount just to check. I was debited from the account but not credited to the tag. It took another ticket and couple of calls to the customer care to get that refunded.
I am in the same boat right now. The icici tag has my chassis number instead of the vehicle number and I raised a ticket in the website to update it. That ticket is still stuck for 3 weeks now without any updates. Based on what you say I am wondering if I should go ahead with the number update since it is working fine as of now and I dont want them to screw it up.

As you said recharge through UPI is the only issue with vehicle no not updated. But when i checked the ICICI fastag mobile app, it says I can use netc.chassisno@okicici as the VPA for UPI recharge but I havent tried it yet.
praveen_v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 17:01   #3974
Distinguished - BHPian
 
BoneCollector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: BIHAR
Posts: 2,373
Thanked: 6,176 Times
Default Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

To all those who are trying to get a FasTag, try your nearest PayTM KYC center. Apparently they've got FasTags. Someone known bought it from them and it's linked to their PayTM.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 18:17   #3975
Distinguished - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 4,395
Thanked: 10,583 Times
Default Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seltos98 View Post
Can we rotate and use one fastag on 2-3 cars?

Seems unnecessary overhead to get individual fastag when we don't use tolls often and we know ahead of time which car will use tolls for the day.
If there is a mismatch in the vehicle number and the number registered in the tag, your tag can be blacklisted by the toll operator if they notice a mismatch. Instead of that, just get a bunch of paytm tags so that its all linked to a single paytm wallet and gets deducted from there so that you do not have to individually recharge each tag. This will be easier to manage in the longrun.
audioholic is online now  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks