Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2019, 07:14   #4351
BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I also checked my Amazon App - though an old customer of theirs and a Prime Member, I have not got this FasTag recharge option.
I think it is quite possible that the option being offered selectively.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Spot on. Am a prime member too using amazon app on iOS. Tried all possible refreshing methods. It just doesn't appear. Quite tricky!
Don’t think they would have over engineered this app. I too use the IOS version. My wild guess is we need to be KYC compliant and should have an active wallet/pay balance.
Old 19th December 2019, 08:31   #4352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Don’t think they would have over engineered this app. I too use the IOS version. My wild guess is we need to be KYC compliant and should have an active wallet/pay balance.
That's not correct. There are many offers which are selectively available to some users in Amazon app. They don't need to over engineer the app to do that. I am fully KYC compliant, with enough Amazon Pay money, holding Amazon Pay ICICI credit card Prime member but don't have this option in my account but some accounts which are less used, non-kyc, non-prime accounts have it.
mukeshgoel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 11:14   #4353
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
I am KYC compliant and always have some money in my balance because I am regular kindle books buyer. And I do quite a bit of shopping on Amazon. Yet, I am NOT a regular cross border road user. I’m sure with all that analytics power and algorithm creation ability, they must have figured I’m not the right sample customer for them to test their FasTag recharge process with.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 13:43   #4354
Senior - BHPian

I have a Pondicherry trip planned for 28th Dec. Which Fastag is my best bet to receive before that? My main bank is HDFC, but they say it will take at least 15 days.

It seems they are selling NHAI Fastags at their toll plazas. Anyone used this before?
Old 19th December 2019, 13:53   #4355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I have a Pondicherry trip planned for 28th Dec. Which Fastag is my best bet to receive before that? My main bank is HDFC, but they say it will take at least 15 days.

It seems they are selling NHAI Fastags at their toll plazas. Anyone used this before?
hi Gansan,
Thanks to earlier suggestions in this thread, I think one of the quickest way to get fastag is via Paytm KYC stores near your home. You can open the Paytm app and search for KYC stores near you and start calling them.

I stay in T nagar and did call 4-5 shops listed for KYC and got confirmation on availability in Chennai Xerox in Rajabathar street at 7pm yesterday. Walked in with Aadhar, PAN and RC card and Paytm Balance of Rs.500 and walked out with Fastag in 10 min. Today morning it is ACTIVE already and ready to go
concorde24 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 13:59   #4356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post

Are there Fastag-enabled toll booths on the Chennai-Pondicherry ECR route? Specifically, is the toll booth at Uthandi Fastag-enabled? Or for that matter, any of the OMR toll booths?

I thought Fastag is enabled only on the GST Road-Tindivanam-Pondi route.
Old 19th December 2019, 14:15   #4357
Senior - BHPian

With compulsory fastag, what happens if the system fails or slows down. Is there a point beyond which vehicles will be let through?
During earlier trips there were multiple toll booths which had glitches causing delays.
Old 19th December 2019, 14:25   #4358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Are there Fastag-enabled toll booths on the Chennai-Pondicherry ECR route? Specifically, is the toll booth at Uthandi Fastag-enabled? Or for that matter, any of the OMR toll booths?

I thought Fastag is enabled only on the GST Road-Tindivanam-Pondi route.
ECR is a state highway. I always take the GST Road which is much better and nearer for me.
Old 19th December 2019, 14:52   #4359
BHPian

I finally took the plunge and applied with ICICI for a fastag.

Process was pretty smooth. Fastag was delivered home withing 3 days.

Now to plan a trip to start using fastag
luvDriving is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 16:41   #4360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
With compulsory fastag, what happens if the system fails or slows down. Is there a point beyond which vehicles will be let through?
During earlier trips there were multiple toll booths which had glitches causing delays.
From an NHAI document that I received on WhatsApp:
FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-screenshot_20191219162132__01.jpg

In short, if a car has a functional Fastag with sufficient balance, then the toll operator has to use it to deduct money or let the vehicle pass free. They should not demand payment through any other options.
BigBrad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 16:52   #4361
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
That's exactly what happened to me last weekend. Automatic scanner failed to read my tag and the dude with the manual scanner didn't know what he doing. Scanned it and then was typing something on the scanner. Since the barrier was open, I drove off. Cash wasn't deducted from my account.

naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 17:09   #4362
Senior - BHPian

May be this is already been discussed to death in the forum, in that case @Mods please delete my question.

When I bought my car in September 2017, it came with an RFID Tag on the windshield. Question - is this FastTag? Or, can it be used as FastTag?
Old 19th December 2019, 17:25   #4363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
May be this is already been discussed to death in the forum, in that case @Mods please delete my question.

When I bought my car in September 2017, it came with an RFID Tag on the windshield. Question - is this FastTag? Or, can it be used as FastTag?
No this isn't Fastag. Its a tag that contains info about your car, to be used internally by the car company.
Vikalp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 18:28   #4364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikalp View Post
No this isn't Fastag. Its a tag that contains info about your car, to be used internally by the car company.
From what I know, the idea of mandating RFID tag in new cars by the Govt. was to make it work for electronic tolling at a later date. But the technology standards adopted for Fastag was probably a version ahead. Hence they were incompatible.

I have been reading about user complaints of double deductions or non-detection of tags at toll booths. My hunch is this could be due to mis-alignment of the the Reader sensor. So if a reader of a particular lane is mis-aligned and points towards an adjacent lane, then following issues may arise:

1. cars passing through the adjacent lane may have double debits as Readers of 2 lanes are reading the tag simultaneously.
2. Cars passing through the lane where reader is mis-aligned will not have the tag detected.

Since the tag is mounted at varying heights at the operator end as well vehicle, the reader sensors have to point at an optimum angle to read correctly for all types of vehicles - cars, trucks, etc.

So clearly its the quality of installation and insufficient testing which is at fault. I hope the NHAI is analyzing the no. of complaints by toll operator and penalizing the bad ones.
risga is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 18:52   #4365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by risga View Post
From what I know, the idea of mandating RFID tag in new cars by the Govt. was to make it work for electronic tolling at a later date.
Yes, this is the reason why I asked the question. Heard from another source that the RFID tags used in some cars can be 'programmed' to work as FastTag, but I have no idea whether this is doable, and if so, in which all cars.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks