Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:03   #5371
BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Guys, I haven't got a fastag installed yet on my car but I'd like to install one soon as I'll be doing a long road trip in the next 2-3 days. I'm not looking to buy online as I'm afraid it won't reach me on time.

I understand we have the option of buying fastag from toll plaza's. Would it get activated instantly? Do I get a choice of which provider to opt for?

Any other suggestion to get the fastag quick? Do banks sell fastag's at branch offices?
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:07   #5372
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalidiot View Post
I understand we have the option of buying fastag from toll plaza's. Would it get activated instantly? Do I get a choice of which provider to opt for?
Yep, there are mobile stalls at most toll plazas selling ready-to-use Fastag. If you have a toll booth nearby, I'd suggest you get it done in advance so there's no last minute surprise.

Funnily, all these toll stalls have been after you cross the toll.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 11:05   #5373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijeet View Post
H All,

... car RC is lost (Trying to get a duplicate but its taking its own time) so not able to get the Fastag?

-Ijeet
Try pgportal, see the several successes listed at:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...me-you-do.html (Heard of pgportal.gov.in? About time you do)
Old 22nd December 2020, 19:49   #5374
BHPian

Summing up my Fastag experience:

Bought 2 in Dec 19 when launched. Failed to work. Both ICICI & official helplines and emails helpless. Frustrated, deactivated them.

A year on, bought one at Charoti toll plaza for 100 bucks. Did a 1000 recharge and drove on. Didn't work. Again got pissed. What infuriated me more was wrong pronunciation of my surname on my dashboard despite all details on my Aadhar card being correct. Raised numerous requests to get it rectified...none worked! Called the Charoti toll plaza sales chap, no response. Always get the complaint number has been resolved. DUH!!! Called helpline...again useless! On return journey at Baroda expressway got a replacement. That too failed to work!!! Returned to Mumbai, filed mails to nodal officer Mr. Vinayak More at ICICI BKC, no reply! Standard response for social handles: Sent me a new tag.

Went to Vashi...the new tag didn't work as well! Fun fact: I don't even have a sun film installed. Will most probably be sending a legal notice to ICICI & NETC for sheer mental harassment. This whole program could have been executed in a smoother fashion. I also noticed cash lanes and faster lanes moving at equal speeds. Whats the point?!

PLEASE DONT BUY ICICI FASTAGS EVEN THOUGHT THEY MIGHT BE GIVING THE BEST DEALS.

Harrowing experience when you are out on a nice long drive only to end up piling a km of cars honking behind you while the toll chaps try their best to scan your card!

Last edited by coolmel : 22nd December 2020 at 19:51.
coolmel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 20:31   #5375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post

Harrowing experience when you are out on a nice long drive only to end up piling a km of cars honking behind you while the toll chaps try their best to scan your card!
I'm sorry to hear about your repeated bad experiences with the ICICI Fastag. I can understand your frustration, particularly with the poor customer service.

But I ordered one about two years ago, and have had no real problems since. Occasionally I've had to have it scanned by the hand held scanner, but even that hardly ever happens now. I regularly use the Expressway and the Vashi bridge, and occasionally use the Sealink.

I've noticed that the scanners mounted directly overhead do the best (i.e. quickest) job of reading my tag.

I have not pasted the tag directly to the windshield. I have used tape to stick it (I used it as received, I did not pull off the protective film to use the tag's own adhesive) in the lower right corner.

Is it possible that your placement of the tag has something to do with your problems? Though I imagine you have tried multiple locations on your windshield, given how much agony the tag has given you.
Perhaps there has been a very faulty batch of tags procured by ICICI recently.

I fully agree that sometimes the tag lanes seem to move slower than the cash lanes!
RadixLecti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 21:27   #5376
Team-BHP Support

At the airport tool, my wife HDFC tag would not work. They told her to use the wipers and washers a few times. Hey presto, it started working!
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 00:04   #5377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadixLecti View Post
I'm sorry to hear about your repeated bad experiences with the ICICI Fastag. I can understand your frustration, particularly with the poor customer service.

But I ordered one about two years ago, and have had no real problems since. Occasionally I've had to have it scanned by the hand held scanner, but even that hardly ever happens now. I regularly use the Expressway and the Vashi bridge, and occasionally use the Sealink.

I've noticed that the scanners mounted directly overhead do the best (i.e. quickest) job of reading my tag.

I have not pasted the tag directly to the windshield. I have used tape to stick it (I used it as received, I did not pull off the protective film to use the tag's own adhesive) in the lower right corner.

Is it possible that your placement of the tag has something to do with your problems? Though I imagine you have tried multiple locations on your windshield, given how much agony the tag has given you.
Perhaps there has been a very faulty batch of tags procured by ICICI recently.

I fully agree that sometimes the tag lanes seem to move slower than the cash lanes!
My man you have no idea about the experiences. I don't believe in it at all! Been vocal about it on Twitter too. The take it or leave it attitude is just so sad.

Yes I tried nearly 4 places until now, no luck at all!

Isn't the RFID side sticky? Please guide me how to do the install you performed. I hate ruining the windscreen!
Old 23rd December 2020, 00:23   #5378
BHPian

A senior citizen relative of mine uses a feature phone ie a dumb phone. She has to enroll for FasTag because its being made mandatory.

How can I facilitate? Can I apply for a FasTag on get 8 behalf from my paytm account?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 01:08   #5379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post

How can I facilitate? Can I apply for a FasTag on get 8 behalf from my paytm account?
Yes. All you need is the rc book. The person getting the fastag doesn't need to be the same as the name on the rc book.
anandhsub is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 08:05   #5380
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, just got one from my paytm account using the RC copy(owner name is different) extracted from the parivahan site.

Also noticed UPI recharge option for paytm tag using, netc.xxxxxx@paytm
smnrock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 11:15   #5381
BHPian

Quote:
You are absolutely right pal. I had bad experience too while recharging and tag detection. Once they ate my 50 rupees in recharge and they demanded bank statement to refund it. I sent UPI screenshot but they wanted bank statement and after sending bank statement only they refunded 50 rupees.

I always do a 10 Rs. recharge first by UPI to netc.<mycarno>@icici and if it works then I do the rest. Such faulty their systems are that your recharge has to be done at least 24 hours before your journey else there might be a chance that you loose money also and tag not recharged, so toll plaza will again charge you double.

Their android app is equally pathetic and doesn't show full history of travel. Only last 30 days history is shown. I will stop here because there are numerous other issues including worst customer care but people know that already.
turbodude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 11:41   #5382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodude View Post
You are absolutely right pal. I had bad experience too while recharging and tag detection. Once they ate my 50 rupees in recharge and they demanded bank statement to refund it. I sent UPI screenshot but they wanted bank statement and after sending bank statement only they refunded 50 rupees.

I always do a 10 Rs. recharge first by UPI to netc.<mycarno>@icici and if it works then I do the rest. Such faulty their systems are that your recharge has to be done at least 24 hours before your journey else there might be a chance that you loose money also and tag not recharged, so toll plaza will again charge you double.

Their android app is equally pathetic and doesn't show full history of travel. Only last 30 days history is shown. I will stop here because there are numerous other issues including worst customer care but people know that already.
Which tag do you use now? Is there any tag which works smoothly, end to end? Question for all.
Old 23rd December 2020, 12:14   #5383
BHPian

Quote:
Isn't the RFID side sticky? Please guide me how to do the install you performed. I hate ruining the windscreen!
Here are two pictures of how I've mounted my tag. I apologise for the picture quality, my basement carpark is poorly lit.

This is the location of the tag. Lower right corner when seen from inside (i.e. lower corner, driver's side).
FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-img_20201223_114319026.jpg

This is how I've attached it. I did not peel off the protective film from the RFID side (it was thin, transparent plastic in my case). I have just stuck it reasonably neatly using two strips of sellotape.
FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-img_20201223_114409843.jpg

The initial reason for doing it this way was so that I could easily change the location if necessary, but I've not found any reason to change it.
RadixLecti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 12:48   #5384
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
Yes. All you need is the rc book. The person getting the fastag doesn't need to be the same as the name on the rc book.
+1.

Quote:
A senior citizen relative of mine uses a feature phone ie a dumb phone. She has to enroll for FasTag because its being made mandatory.
My father's fastag is linked to my PayTm account. He lives in a different state and the name in RC is different than my PayTM account.
Currently, my PayTM has two different fastag accounts linked to same wallet.
PetrolRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 14:13   #5385
BHPian

Quote:
Which tag do you use now? Is there any tag which works smoothly, end to end? Question for all.
I've been using the Paytm tags for our two cars and they've worked flawlessly so far. Top ups were also hassle free, but recently they've added a 2% charge on wallet topups via credit cards.

Most Viewed