Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2021, 12:25   #5626
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
I have three duplicate charges from a recent round trip from Chennai to Coimbatore.

ICICI had earlier sent a link to my phone, which could be used to claim for double charge claims. They message says click on Help and then support in the below link.
Look up earlier posts on this thread and follow it to dispute the transactions. As part of the process, you will also need to download and attach the PDF of transaction history and use the reference number for each disputed transaction from the document.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 20:51   #5627
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I installed Paytm only to buy their fastag. I bought their tags for two cars. I never have to fiddle anything related to tags, just add money to the wallet and both my cars are ready to go. I think Rs 300 is blocked as minimum balance for both tags and rest of the money is available in the wallet to be used for tolls among other things. This is exactly how I wanted it and hence opted for Paytm. Single payment and all my tags work smoothly. No glitches so far.
There are tolls in my vicinity which cost 320, 455 as a single charge. Wonder how that will be handled.
Old 5th March 2021, 21:42   #5628
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
There are tolls in my vicinity which cost 320, 455 as a single charge. Wonder how that will be handled.
Rs 300 I mentioned is just blocked, like a security deposit or something. The toll is deducted from the regular wallet balance, so there is no limit to the toll amount.

If you are wondering what happens if the toll amount is more than current balance, I believe you will pass though and end up with a negative balance and won't be able to use the tag anymore till you recharge. Fastag doesn't check amount real time, it only checks if the tag is valid or not. Any valid tag will pass through even if the toll amount is more than available balance.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 22:43   #5629
BANNED

Quote:
I believe you will pass though and end up with a negative balance
The PayTM Fastag is quite weird over here, it simply gets blacklisted. And I have had the experience of it getting blacklisted with even 135 rupees balance, as soon as it came under 150, it used to get blacklisted in the initial days.

Now a days it uses balance till rupees 50 I suppose, after which, it again gets blacklisted.

So, with a PayTM Fastag, I don't take the risk any more, I keep it well over charged before the long journeys (I simply look at Google maps and recharge my PayTM wallet with an amount that is slightly higher than total kms*2).
VKumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 22:47   #5630
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Will try to find and enable this option. Hope I can change the threshold amount to my liking. By default it is INR 300, I guess.
Quote:
I installed Paytm only to buy their fastag. I bought their tags for two cars. I never have to fiddle anything related to tags, just add money to the wallet and both my cars are ready to go. I think Rs 300 is blocked as minimum balance for both tags and rest of the money is available in the wallet to be used for tolls among other things.
I believe the 'security deposit' is Rs.150 per tag.

The way it works for me - let's say I have Rs.1000 on my wallet then Rs.850 is available for use as my Fastag balance. Or the whole Rs.1000 is available for Paytm payments.

If my wallet balance goes below 150 then my tag is inactive.

Has been flawless across tolls across states.

Quote:

If you are wondering what happens if the toll amount is more than current balance, I believe you will pass though and end up with a negative balance and won't be able to use the tag anymore till you recharge.
Yes, that's how it behaves. As long as the balance is above 150, tag works and the amount is deducted, even if it becomes negative or just falls below the threshold security deposit level of 150.

Once balance is below threshold, tag is blacklisted. Restore balance above 150 and tag is back in business.

Last edited by ashis89 : 5th March 2021 at 22:53.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 00:56   #5631
BHPian

My experience with FASTags

First fastag - PayTM: worked fine for few weeks and all of a sudden showed as blacklisted even with sufficient balance in the wallet (around 1k), I was under impression that the toll guys have deliberately blocked the Paytm FASTags and I got into arguments many times with them, later on, I was told many PayTM customers are facing a similar issue and I was advised to change to a different provider.

Second FASTag - Indusland Bank: after getting frustrated with the experience I had with PayTM, I moved to Indusland bank FASTag, it has been over 2 months now, and never had a single issue till today, FASTag works perfectly in every toll and even the recharge is a breeze via PhonePe (one aspect I make sure is to have a min of 200rs balance in the wallet just to be on the safer side)
Old 7th March 2021, 08:50   #5632
Oxy
BHPian

Got the PayTM fasttag delivered. There's a physical application form that came with it. Am I supposed to fill it and mail it somewhere? Apologies for the noob question.
Old 7th March 2021, 10:32   #5633
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Got the PayTM fasttag delivered. There's a physical application form that came with it. Am I supposed to fill it and mail it somewhere? Apologies for the noob question.
You need to call them to find out. Sometimes eKYC can do the job so just send them your KYC via email. If your KYC is already done for your PayTM account then it probably won't be necessary. Please do this ASAP because they will block your tag in the event of delays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanasu View Post
My experience with FASTags

First fastag - PayTM: worked fine for few weeks and all of a sudden showed as blacklisted even with sufficient balance in the wallet (around 1k), I was under impression that the toll guys have deliberately blocked the Paytm FASTags and I got into arguments many times with them, later on, I was told many PayTM customers are facing a similar issue and I was advised to change to a different provider.

Second FASTag - Indusland Bank: after getting frustrated with the experience I had with PayTM, I moved to Indusland bank FASTag, it has been over 2 months now, and never had a single issue till today, FASTag works perfectly in every toll and even the recharge is a breeze via PhonePe (one aspect I make sure is to have a min of 200rs balance in the wallet just to be on the safer side)
It's not just the balance but KYC which causes blockage. And they do it suddenly too. This is independent of which fastag issuer you are with. So please check if your KYC is ok. Also, NHAI has now done away with the minimum balance but I'd recommend keeping a few 100 rupees as a balance at all times like you're already doing.

Last edited by R2D2 : 7th March 2021 at 10:37. Reason: added reply
Old 11th March 2021, 07:24   #5634
BHPian

Folks, new car is on the way. I have ~INR 300 in the tag(ICICI).

1. How do I salvage this balance ? Can I move it from the tag to the wallet and thereafter move it to the new tag ?
2. Will reg not happen without fast tag ? How to purchase prior to reg ?
Old 12th March 2021, 19:45   #5635
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Folks, new car is on the way. I have ~INR 300 in the tag(ICICI).

1. How do I salvage this balance ? Can I move it from the tag to the wallet and thereafter move it to the new tag ?
That tag balance = wallet balance. You cannot transfer it. Call up the helpline and ask them to do a refund to your bank account. There will be paperwork. I had an ICICI bank acc. but TBH didn't check if they actually refunded me the balance. I was so upset with ICICI.

Quote:
2. Will reg not happen without fast tag ? How to purchase prior to reg ?
Registration doesn't require fastag. For the tag, you need your RC and a POI/POA for e.g. a PAN card. Docs require vary from issuer to issuer. Please check with them

Alternative is you buy a 2nd tag under the same wallet. Tell them to cancel the old one and issue a new one for the car once your docs are in place.
Old 17th March 2021, 07:22   #5636

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitkuch View Post
I was using HDFC in my previously owned Punto. On 1.12.2020 I got 2 messages for manual debit of Rs. 70.00 and 155.00.
Update:
I have got the credit of 225.00 Rs today. Around one month ago, I was asked to submit the photo of RC and car itself to process. Due to busy schedule, I was unable to send these. I felt it is idiotic to ask for photo of car, and RC was already uploaded on their system. So I had given up. I don't know what happened suddenly and HDFC sent me a refund without submitting the docs.
Now I am not able to see the option of closing the fastag on the portal. Anyone know how to close the HDFC fastag.
Old 17th March 2021, 11:50   #5637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitkuch View Post
Update:
I was asked to submit the photo of RC and car itself to process
HDFC bank is known for asking customer to visit branch for small things, like resetting pin you need to rush to ATM, upgrading card you need to write letter to Chennai or visit branch. All these can be done sitting at home in other banks.

I guess this disease of HDFC has reached its Fastag also, asking to write letter with proof of photo and RC for refund
Old 17th March 2021, 13:06   #5638
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
HDFC bank is known for asking customer to visit branch for small things, like resetting pin you need to rush to ATM, upgrading card you need to write letter to Chennai or visit branch. All these can be done sitting at home in other banks.
OT but since you have mentioned, are you sure about this?

I remember HDFC from early 2000 when they were perhaps the most lazy banks to have anything online but now they are at par with most of the other banks too, including Generating instant PIN or resetting your PIN and more.
Old 17th March 2021, 13:13   #5639
BANNED

Got the fastag. Is there anything else that needs to be done - like some topup or some thing else, or just paste it and it is ready to use?
Old 17th March 2021, 15:10   #5640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
Got the fastag. Is there anything else that needs to be done - like some topup or some thing else, or just paste it and it is ready to use?
1. Check what is the balance available on the FasTag. As per latest orders there is no need to maintain minimum balance.
2. Check if your KYC is complete, and there are no blocks set on the usage because KYC was not completed. If KYC is not complete, submit documents to get it done.
3. Fix the tag to the windshield using cello tape at first. Choose a position which suits you first. Then make a couple of 'dry runs' and check if the toll booth sensors are able to read the tag. Then you can decide to permenantly fix it on the windshield or just stick it there using cello tape only.
4. Understand how top up can be on FasTag. Some have UPI IDs etc. which makes top up easier. Configure your bank's mobile app accordingly so that Top Up can be done easily during journeys.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed