Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2023, 13:25   #6301

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Does anyone here have recieved KYC request from IDBI for a fast tag? My friend recieved an sms to do kyc from idbi and he was confused as no account was maintained with idbi, he later realised his fastag is linked to a wallet with idbi but is not sure if this is a genuine sms. He is able to recharge the fastag so presuming this would be spam msg as otherwise without kyc the digital wallet ideally shouldbot operate. Request estemmed members to throw some light on this matter.
Old 16th May 2023, 14:08   #6302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I’ve put fastag sticker on my windshield put it doesn’t scan from the outside inspite of using a handheld scanner up close. The toll attendant then made me scan it from inside and it worked fine.
I have a similar issue. But this happens only on the Veerasandra Toll Plaza end (on the Bangalore Elevated Highway). But the tag can be scanned from outside using a hand held scanner. My FasTag is not exactly on the middle of the windshield, but slightly towards the left side of the vehicle.
Old 16th May 2023, 15:01   #6303
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I am almost certain it's because of the type of the glass used that blocks IR/heat. You can check with BMW folks to suggest the correct spot to fix the tag.

Attachment 2451805
Access to this area is not possible from inside as there are sensors behind the rear view mirror that are fixed on to the windshield area marked. My fastag sticker is right below it.
Old 16th May 2023, 15:38   #6304
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Access to this area is not possible from inside as there are sensors behind the rear view mirror that are fixed on to the windshield area marked. My fastag sticker is right below it.
This is not the 7 series windshield, just some BMW model I found on the internet but I am very certain you will find the designated spot next to the interior rear view mirror (not below the mirror but to the left or right). You can spot this area by shining your phone torchlight from inside - you will see some subtle change of pattern in the see through glass. Best to check the user manual or ask the service staff. Most cars in this segment have windshields with special coating that blocks radio transmission and they keep small clear sections on the windshield suitable for placing the tag. Tag will not work if pasted anywhere else. Here is a discussion on this topic:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post4981054

Last edited by androdev : 16th May 2023 at 15:46.
Old 17th May 2023, 20:41   #6305
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
This is not the 7 series windshield, just some BMW model I found on the internet but I am very certain you will find the designated spot next to the interior rear view mirror
Finally found it in the car manual. But the area marked has black dots on it. Hope the fastag sensors can scan through them?
Attached Thumbnails
FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-img_9730.jpeg  

Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 21:33   #6306
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Finally found it in the car manual. But the area marked has black dots on it. Hope the fastag sensors can scan through them?
It should work. Just to be sure, use the tag without sticking it for the first time, just hold the tag in that spot next to the rear view mirror when you pass through the toll. The tag works even if it has the adhesive sticky paper on it. You can stick it in the spot after verifying that it works. I have a Polo that I rarely take it out of the city - I just keep this tag in the glovebox and hold it up while passing through the toll. Works without any issues.

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-593713d9f1df4c958f426a9a4445cba9.jpeg
androdev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 23:22   #6307
Distinguished - BHPian

That's interesting!

So, when I get my new windscreen, I can put my tag on the black-dotted part of it. I had put the existing one just below it, thinking some sort of visual process was involved. But I guess... it is not visual at all.
Old 23rd May 2023, 16:55   #6308
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
That's interesting!

So, when I get my new windscreen, I can put my tag on the black-dotted part of it. I had put the existing one just below it, thinking some sort of visual process was involved. But I guess... it is not visual at all.
My problem got resolved. Stuck it in the place mentioned and it's working smoothly at all automated fast tag lanes.
Sahil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 10:30   #6309
Senior - BHPian

Axis Bank FasTag - I was using Axis Bank's FasTag for the last 5 years. Off late, it was NOT getting detected in toll booths. First, I thought it was only at one booth (BETL), but on a trip to Kerala it goofed up on all the toll booths.

So I ordered a replacement tag. I was told that the new tag would reach me in 7 days. On Saturday (3rd June), I had to rush to my home town. Enroute I get a message that my new tag has been issued. At the Thoppur toll booth, I get a rude shock. My tag was being shown as blacklisted. I had to pay the toll by cash.

Immediately I called Axis Bank's customer support. The woman there bluntly told me that, as soon as a new tag is issued the old one gets blocked. This fact was NOT informed to me when I requested for a new tag (through the web site, or when I had spoken to a customer support person to understand the process of replacement).

So at Omalur toll booth, I find a small FasTag outlet which promised 'immediate activation'. The person manning this outlet was quick and efficient. The new FasTag was from ICICI bank. My previous vehicle's FasTag was from ICICI, so they still had all my data. So no KYC process needed as well. There was balance amount on my old vehicle's FasTag account, and that was transferred to the new tag.

In around 15 minutes I was on my way again. So it is bye bye Axis Bank for now.
sachinpk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 16:27   #6310
BHPian

Anyone have experience with SBI Fastag? I bought the SBI Fastag at a toll plaza & I want to surrender it now (SBI services are too bothersome) but I'm unable to do so. The surrender form on their online portal does not work & raising a complaint with them is of no use as they just say clear browser history & cookies & try again. (A very good reason why I stay away from such govt banks & the incompetent folk they employ)

I'm wondering if anyone has surrendered their tag issued by SBI or anyone know of another way to get this closed. My tag wallet has a few hundred rupees & at this point I dont even care about the balance, just want the darn thing closed out so I can get the tag from ICICI or some other bank which isn't as incompetent as SBI.
amitgupta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 22:56   #6311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitgupta View Post
Anyone have experience with SBI Fastag? I bought the SBI Fastag at a toll plaza & I want to surrender it now (SBI services are too bothersome) but I'm unable to do so. The surrender form on their online portal does not work & raising a complaint with them is of no use as they just say clear browser history & cookies & try again. (A very good reason why I stay away from such govt banks & the incompetent folk they employ)

I'm wondering if anyone has surrendered their tag issued by SBI or anyone know of another way to get this closed. My tag wallet has a few hundred rupees & at this point I dont even care about the balance, just want the darn thing closed out so I can get the tag from ICICI or some other bank which isn't as incompetent as SBI.
You will be lucky if you are able to close SBI fastag successfully. One of my relatives had same issue and after trying all options (even talking to nearby branch and also talking to contacts mentioned on sbi fastag website ), finally he gave up.

I'd recommend you to go for ICICI Bank Fastag. Seamless experience and prompt customer service right from tag issue to tag closure.
Old 16th June 2023, 23:16   #6312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
You will be lucky if you are able to close SBI fastag successfully. One of my relatives had same issue and after trying all options (even talking to nearby branch and also talking to contacts mentioned on sbi fastag website ), finally he gave up.
That sucks! I knew SBI service is pathetic but not this much! The helpline number just says open a ticket on the CRM portal. Why the heck is there a helpline number when all it does is redirect to CRM portal & the support tickets are closed without looking into providing resolution.

The person on helpline kept saying I should clear my browser cookies etc & try again & finally I had to tell her that I know how these things work as I've been designing & building such software for almost 2 decades & I was not this incompetent even when I was starting out as a freelancer in my 3rd year of graduation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
I'd recommend you to go for ICICI Bank Fastag. Seamless experience and prompt customer service right from tag issue to tag closure.
Is it allowed to get another tag even when previous one is not closed out? I thought only one tag is allowed per vehicle.
Old 17th June 2023, 10:05   #6313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitgupta View Post
From my experience with AxisBank FasTag. Just destory (peel off) the SBI FasTag. There is NO rule that you can only have one FasTag account. Get a Tag from ICICI or any other vendor. They will do a fresh registration and you may have to give the KYC forms again. The new bank will not say that you have a FasTag with SBI and you should only use that.
Old 17th June 2023, 11:58   #6314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
There is NO rule that you can only have one FasTag account.
This was my understanding too (in fact, I had two fastags for one of my cars for many years). But recent posts here suggest otherwise. A quick search brings up this:

https://www.indusind.com/iblogs/cate...-on-a-vehicle/

Quote:
...it is forbidden to purchase and use more than one FASTag in one car.
This is IndusInd Bank, in a poorly worded article - it does not make it clear whether the restriction is on pasting multiple tags on one vehicle or simply possessing them, and whether it is a policy for this one bank or for the entire fastag ecosystem.
Old 17th June 2023, 13:19   #6315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
This is IndusInd Bank, in a poorly worded article - it does not make it clear whether the restriction is on pasting multiple tags on one vehicle or simply possessing them, and whether it is a policy for this one bank or for the entire fastag ecosystem.
It seems it is bank policy (every bank) that they won't issue more than one fastag for a vehicle. HDFC Bank website says the same. But it also seems that there is no rule stating one can't get another fastag from another bank. See the screenshot below.

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-morethanonefastag.png

Here's the link to the PDF with FAQs from Indian Highway Management Company Ltd website.

Most Viewed