Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2017, 17:54   #886
BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Has anyone managed to get it in the ICICI bank branch at Bommanahalli? If so, can you please provide a contact so that I can verify availability.
Please call Mohan @ 97383 86180 - ICICI Bank. He is the executive responsible. He is very helpful and supportive.

If you go there on a weekday and can make online transfer instantly there from your bank account using your mobile or laptop, you may get the tag on the same day.
nareshtrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2017, 18:56   #887
BHPian

Re: Axis Bank FASTag Login ID Creation and Recharge Process

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Actually none of these are that big issues to require photography etc. The first the toll booth staff are expected to catch.
Not all the toll booths are equipped with the required information of whether the tag is for car or for a truck. Most of the toll display says, Just Thank you or Valid Tag or Invalid Tag. So its not really a toll booth staff's job to validating the tag and vehicle, after all the idea behind the FASTag is automation without any user intervention.

Quote:
The second can happen even with wallets and paytm and is not tag-specific.
How it can happen with PayTM? Isn't we need to scan the QR code at the toll location and enter the amount? If you drive a truck and pay the amount intended for car, how the toll both operator will allow to pass?

Quote:
You can't attach it with cello tape like arun_josie suggests? And in my case, ICICI Bank just delivered the tags to me without any concern. I pasted them myself (as a matter of fact, went in my scooter to pick up the tags).
This is the reason NHAI very clearly given instructions to paste the tags by the sales guys itself and not handover to the vehicle owners. I agree not all the sales people were following that strictly, but at least during earlier stages, ICICI guys in bangalore has followed it.
Old 9th May 2017, 19:23   #888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smnrock View Post
This is the reason NHAI very clearly given instructions to paste the tags by the sales guys itself and not handover to the vehicle owners. I agree not all the sales people were following that strictly, but at least during earlier stages, ICICI guys in bangalore has followed it.
These days more than one sales guy just asks to take a photograph of the front of the car, showing the tag pasted on the windshield + car license plate, and whatsapp it to them.

That pic is all that concerns NHAI / fastag regarding whether the tag has been used on the correct vehicle or not. So no particular need for a sales guy to turn up personally for something as simple as pasting a sticker
Old 9th May 2017, 19:55   #889
BHPian

Forget the legality aspect. The tags are a bit tricky to install for an uninformed user. And you have to install it right the first time.
Old 9th May 2017, 20:14   #890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is the reason NHAI very clearly given instructions to paste the tags by the sales guys itself and not handover to the vehicle owners.
If it is NHAI's instructions then that's all there to it. Can you please paste a link to these instructions?
Old 9th May 2017, 21:32   #891
BHPian

Quote:
Not all the toll booths are equipped with the required information of whether the tag is for car or for a truck. Most of the toll display says, Just Thank you or Valid Tag or Invalid Tag. So its not really a toll booth staff's job to validating the tag and vehicle, after all the idea behind the FASTag is automation without any user intervention.
Tags are color coded for each category of vehicle ex. Purple for Cars and hence Toll Booth staff can notice if a truck or LMV has a purple tag.
Old 9th May 2017, 22:26   #892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Forget the legality aspect. The tags are a bit tricky to install for an uninformed user. And you have to install it right the first time.
The agent had sent a sample car's photo with the fastag pasted correctly, asked me to do the same. And all said and done pasting a sticker is not rocket science.
Old 10th May 2017, 08:13   #893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
The agent had sent a sample car's photo with the fastag pasted correctly, asked me to do the same. And all said and done pasting a sticker is not rocket science.
I am not here to discuss the legality of pasting tags using cello tape etc. or even speak pro/against chance of abuse.

Agree. Pasting the tag is not a a skilled job. But we are auto enthusiasts. We love our machines and know a thing or two about blind spots and location of the tag and its corresponding effect on RFID reader not reading it/reading it too soon etc.

If someone does paste the tag and then tries to remove it (to place it at a different location) he is going to end up damaging the chip. It will cost INR 200 to get a replacement. I think Banks want to avoid fuss and just prefer to send their executives to paste it right the first time everytime.

I think we are going out of topic.

Peace.
Old 10th May 2017, 08:20   #894
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Agree. Pasting the tag is not a a skilled job. But we are auto enthusiasts. We love our machines and know a thing or two about blind spots and location of the tag and its corresponding effect on RFID reader not reading it/reading it too soon etc.
Fair enough but I doubt whether any bank exec knows about RFID or blind spots either

Anyway as long as fastag gets their implementation together both at the issuing / crediting of balance side as well as at the toll gates I'll be glad. Right now it all leaves much to be desired.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 09:56   #895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
My first experience with using the Fastag.
I was returning from KIAL. When I took my car to the dedicated Fastag lane the boom barrier did not open. So I went to the adjacent toll booth and told the attendant that I have a fastag. He groaned a bit, took a handheld scanner and showed it at my Tag. Not sure what happened, but the light turned green and the boom bar opened, thus allowing me to pass through without paying cash.
Its been three days, I've not yet received any SMS on the deduction. And when I try to login to the Axisbank ETC website from work, it doesn't show the captha required to login. Need to try from home to see if the amount has been debited. Will it be Rs.85 or Rs.125, anyone experienced this and what amount got debited?
I am a frequent user of this toll and fastag. The fastag reader is erratic and most of the times fails to work automatically. In those cases the staff use the manual reader is used and the amount gets debited in a day. However I too haven't received the debit since 8th May. For some strange reason on using Fastag only a 1 one way toll of Rs85 is debited against Rs 125. I guess at some point they will wake up and realize this.
Old 10th May 2017, 11:05   #896
BHPian

Quote:
NEW DELHI: To ensure seamless travel at toll plazas and a big push to digital economy, the Centre has issued a draft notification making it mandatory that vehicles manufactured after July 1, 2017, shall be fitted with FASTag to ensure electronic tolling at all national highways across the country.

The Ministry of Road, Transport and Highways has come out with a draft notification on May 3, 2017 seeking suggestions to amend the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989. The draft rules shall be taken into consideration after expiry of a period of 15 days.

“Categories M and N motor vehicles manufactured on and after the July 1, 2017, shall be fitted with FASTag,” said the rules.

Category M vehicles include motor vehicles with at least four wheels designed and constructed for the carriage of passengers while category N Motor vehicles with at least four wheels designed and constructed for the carriage of goods.

The rules further say provided that in case of any vehicle which is sold in the form of drive-away-chassis without windscreen, such FASTag shall be fitted in the windscreen by the dealer at the time of providing such windscreen.

“The fitment of FASTag shall be verified by the registering authority at the time of registration. For the purposes of this rule, FASTag means an onboard unit (transponder) or any such device fitted on the front windscreen of the vehicle,” added the rules.

As on March 2017, the participating banks are SBI, KVB, ICICI, AXIS, IDFC and Equitas SF Bank and a total 3,47,200 electronic tags have been issued for fee collection on National Highways.

As of now, about 352 toll plazas have FASTag facility with dedicated lanes. For making an electronic payment at toll booths, a prepaid Radio Frequency Identification Device (RFID) tag known as FASTag is affixed on the windscreen of a vehicle. Toll payments are made directly from the pre-paid account linked to it and as a vehicle crosses a toll plaza, the information written on the FASTag is captured by a reader installed at the toll plaza.

The immediate use of FASTags will entail a 10 percent discount on the toll fee, in addition to faster movement through dedicated lanes at the Toll Plazas. The cash back amount for a particular month is credited back to the FASTag account at the beginning of the next month.

National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) had rolled out cashless payment mechanism (FASTag) on toll plazas on National Highways in April 2016.
Source : FASTag must for vehicles manufactured after July 1 for toll collection

Instead of making use of existing RFID tags , they want to sell another tag.
Old 10th May 2017, 11:28   #897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
Tags are color coded for each category of vehicle ex. Purple for Cars and hence Toll Booth staff can notice if a truck or LMV has a purple tag.
Not sure how easy to spot the color in the tags which is fixed in windscreen at certain height. Also older tags does not carry this coloring.

May be its possible if the lanes are separated by road width, so that truck cannot drive on the lanes intended for car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
That pic is all that concerns NHAI / fastag regarding whether the tag has been used on the correct vehicle or not. So no particular need for a sales guy to turn up personally for something as simple as pasting a sticker
Could be they have changed these guidelines now. But it was not the case earlier when ICICI was alone giving the tags. The guy from bommanahalli branch travelled to my place to fix the tag and told me they are very strict about it. But i already had BETL tag which had some balance left, so he had to just handover to me

Quote:
If it is NHAI's instructions then that's all there to it. Can you please paste a link to these instructions?
It was there in nhai.org with some video instructions as well, but now i see the site itself down.
Old 10th May 2017, 12:06   #898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
Source : FASTag must for vehicles manufactured after July 1 for toll collection

Instead of making use of existing RFID tags , they want to sell another tag.
Good Move.

Next step should be to make FastTag compulsory for all 4 wheel vehicle, else they cannot travel on national highways. Which is implemented mostly in Europe.
Old 10th May 2017, 12:32   #899
BHPian

All new vehicles to have "Fast-Tag" for e toll payment.
Attached Thumbnails
FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-1.jpg  

Old 10th May 2017, 13:09   #900
BHPian

Mumbai - Delhi - Mumbai Route Update:

Did this a week ago. Here are some facts.

Onward Journey
  • Mumbai - Vadodra - Godhra - Shamlaji - Udaipur - Rajsamand - Beawar - Ajmer - Jaipur - Delhi
  • Toll Paid by Fastag: Rs. 794 (Free pass where Fastag scanners did not work)
  • Toll Paid in Cash: Rs. 105 (Rajsamand to Beawar, ~100kms undivided two lane roads. No Fastag scanners)
  • Total Toll Plazas: ~32
  • Always used the lane with minimum cars irrespective of Fastag lanes.
  • Handheld scanning done in other lanes else I was allowed to pass toll free
  • Most Toll plazas had restricted Fastag only access but many trucks have not installed the Fastag so doesn't really help that much in terms of saving time
  • Best Tarmac: Godhra - Shamlaji Gujarat SH (Toll free road) and Kishangarh - Jaipur Expressway.
  • Worst Tarmac: Neemrana - Dharuhera - Manesar

Return Leg. Took a slightly different route.
  • Delhi - Jaipur - Kishangarh - Bhilwara - Rajsamand - Udaipur - Shamlaji - Godhra - Vadodra - Mumbai
  • Toll Paid by Fastag: Rs. 479 (Free pass where Fastag scanners did not work)
  • Toll Paid in Cash: Rs. 100 (Bhilwara to Rajsamand, ~100kms. Fastag will start soon)
  • Total Toll Plazas: ~31
  • Best Tarmac: Bhilwara to Rajsamand
  • Worst Tarmac: Udaipur Bypass, Manesar to Dharuhera

Last edited by ragh_bhushan : 10th May 2017 at 13:25.

Most Viewed