Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2017, 14:55   #901
BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Can you please post a link to this NHAI mandate? Been looking for it but haven't found it.
Have you been able to login to NHAI site?
Quote:
If it is NHAI's instructions then that's all there to it. Can you please paste a link to these instructions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by smnrock View Post
It was there in nhai.org with some video instructions as well, but now i see the site itself down.
NHAI site has been down since some time now.
Old 11th May 2017, 22:38   #902
BHPian

Got my FASTag delivered at home in 7 days flat.

Called up ICICI bank customer care placed a request for fastag. no documentation required.Guess they use the KYC docs submitted to them.
ad75 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2017, 22:58   #903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad75 View Post
Called up ICICI bank customer care placed a request for fastag. no documentation required. Guess they use the KYC docs submitted to them.
Do you maintain an account with ICICI Bank? What about the tag charges, are they auto debited from your account?

Didn't they ask you for any vehicle documents?
Old 12th May 2017, 11:16   #904
BHPian

KSRTC(Karnataka State) is also implementing fastag.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/58634835.cms
Hope all the Public transport corporations implements it and toll plazas increase the no. of fastag lanes.
One thing which surprises me is that the government is not giving much promotion for fastag.
Many people still doesnt know fastag.

Last edited by AshiqueS : 12th May 2017 at 11:18.
AshiqueS is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2017, 11:38   #905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshiqueS View Post
One thing which surprises me is that the government is not giving much promotion for fastag.
Many people still doesnt know fastag.
The toll contractors have no interest in fastag, it creates a trail which can give an accurate count of vehicles using a road and the toll collected. The same people fund our elected representatives, there is a lot of interest to keep things as they are, longer contracts, lots of hard cash and most of it unaccounted.

Fastag must be the least publicized initiative, I came to know of only through team-bhp. The convenience is great, but the operators of some important tolls deliberately block the lane and try to prevent cars using fastag, especially the Krishnagiri toll which strangely doesn't have two way tickets for fastag
Old 12th May 2017, 11:53   #906
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
The toll contractors have no interest in fastag, it creates a trail which can give an accurate count of vehicles using a road and the toll collected. The same people fund our elected representatives, there is a lot of interest to keep things as they are, longer contracts, lots of hard cash and most of it unaccounted.
Slightly OT, in fact most of the toll roads are built by firms owned by politicians (Navayuga, Lanco, Madhucon etc)
rkg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2017, 11:41   #907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Do you maintain an account with ICICI Bank? What about the tag charges, are they auto debited from your account?

Didn't they ask you for any vehicle documents?
One does not need to maintain an ICICI bank account but if one does and utilizes ICICI cheque for payment, the Tag gets generated and issued within 24 hours and loading money onto the Tag does not cost any transaction fees via ICICI bank login.

You pay Rs 200 for Tag charges and Rs 200 as Tag deposit and at the least Rs 100 or in multiples there-of, for the initial amount to be loaded to the Tag. I issued a cheque of Rs 1000/., and Rs 600/. was loaded into the Tag promptly.

Yes, an ID proof, Address proof and the copy of the RC card of the vehicle(s) that need the tag(s) are needed. One person can get multiple tags, one per vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
You are right, that's very true but Govt of India and Courts are taking special interest in this. To the extent, that irked by annoyed customers on the Delhi Gurgaon toll-way. All toll collection was banned for a month on that route by the courts. The contractors were reprimanded for not implementing automated toll collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad75 View Post
Got my FASTag delivered at home in 7 days flat.

Called up ICICI bank customer care placed a request for fastag. no documentation required.Guess they use the KYC docs submitted to them.
In Hyderabad, I got my Tag in flat 3 days time. I used ICICI cheque for payment and within 36 hours of the document collection by the agent, the account was created and the Tag issued.
kalyan_hyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2017, 16:56   #908
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post

Yes, an ID proof, Address proof and the copy of the RC card of the vehicle(s) that need the tag(s) are needed. One person can get multiple tags, one per vehicle.
Small clarification, each separate registered owner needs to have a separate FASTag account. For example, we have 2 cars but one in my name and one in my wife's name.

We need 2 separate accounts.
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2017, 17:07   #909
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post
loading money onto the Tag does not cost any transaction fees via ICICI bank login.
Is this something new ? I've always had to pay transaction fees when loading the tag from the fastag portal after logging in (even when I used an ICICI bank account for the transfer). Due to this reason, I simply use a credit card now as the transaction fee is lower.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2017, 18:35   #910
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Is this something new ? I've always had to pay transaction fees when loading the tag from the fastag portal after logging in (even when I used an ICICI bank account for the transfer). Due to this reason, I simply use a credit card now as the transaction fee is lower.
Looks like there is a new option added with no transaction fees (CIB). Not sure if there is any difference between normal ICICI internet banking and CIB. Even I am using credit card payment only.

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-capture.jpg

Last edited by arun_josie : 13th May 2017 at 18:37.
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2017, 19:03   #911
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Looks like there is a new option added with no transaction fees (CIB). Not sure if there is any difference between normal ICICI internet banking and CIB. Even I am using credit card payment only.

Attachment 1638395
They recently introduced free recharging from icici internet bank. Even the 4th option is free. I recently used it to recharge my fastag and was not charged any money. So i have stopped using a credit card now.

CIB stands for corporate accounts. RB stands for Retail Banking . RB is what we should use to recharge personal accounts.
ngauravmalhotra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2017, 08:16   #912
BHPian

Folks, Need advice.

I used the Tag for the first time on BETL Elevated Road to Electronic city yesterday. Onward and return were back to back as I was trying the Tag placement on the windscreen.

However, after a while I got 2 SMSes stating Rs. 45 has been deducted for each trip. So instead of Rs. 65 for a return trip by cash, I am charged Rs. 90 in total.

I was under the impression it does auto-calculation for same day return.

What is the normal recourse in such situation? While this is a small amount, the fact that this will happen at higher toll plazas means I will be shelling more just because of Tag.

Advice and suggestions please. Thank you.
Old 14th May 2017, 08:51   #913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
For a Rs. 500 recharge, my credit card was charged Rs. 6.33 extra (Rs. 5.50 + ST I guess). That is a small price to pay for not having to deal with ICICI Bank, in my opinion.
Old 14th May 2017, 19:32   #914
Senior - BHPian

Now that my honeymoon period with the Fastag is over, I'm somewhat ambivalent about its utility. In fact, I'm quite exasperated by the step-motherly attitude of NHAI to this feature.

When it works, it is incredibly useful. But for that feeling, it has to work flawlessly. That is:

- Quick entry to the dedicated lane at all times. I'm fine with the lane being access controlled. But the controller has to be physically present all the time and has to ensure the hoi polloi are turned away quickly. What actually happens is this: random car/truck/traveller arrives at the lane, finds it blocked. Honks. Guard tells him can't enter. Driver looks left/right. Tries a full-steering turn. Can't complete. Engages reverse. Waits till he can squeeze through. Phew!

- Protected entry to the dedicated lane, even at peak traffic times. I think the best solution would be to designate the two leftmost lanes as tag lanes and control access from at least the 500m point.

- Incorrect entry to be punished as per the rulebook - which is twice the toll rate. Altogether too many non-tag vehicles enter the lanes. The guard also needs to bear some blame for this.

- Police presence at the toll booths (which is not strictly related to Fastag, but generally a necessity).

Right now, when the booths are heavily crowded (access to the dedicated lane is blocked) or moderately crowded (inefficiencies in the tag process) the non-tag lanes are what we end up taking. And when the booths are empty it doesn't matter at all.

This rant, because I did a return trip to Chennai over the weekend. While it was fine till Krishnagiri, the booths on NH 46 tested my patience - so much so that on my return, I shouted at the booth staff at Pallikonda - "ithu fastag-a slowtag-a?".
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 11:00   #915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now that my honeymoon period with the Fastag is over, I'm somewhat ambivalent about its utility. In fact, I'm quite exasperated by the step-motherly attitude of NHAI to this feature.
While it was fine till Krishnagiri, the booths on NH 46 tested my patience - so much so that on my return, I shouted at the booth staff at Pallikonda - "ithu fastag-a slowtag-a?".
I agree with you. In fact many of the new schemes launched have lost its effectiveness due to lack of publicity or insufficient publicity. FasTag was launched, but NHAI or Govt. of India should have taken out full page advertisements on local and English dailies, clearly explaining the benefits and the Dos & Don'ts. Here these folks launch a scheme, and then just leave it to the people to sort out the mess among themselves.

Also at times it is embarassing to explain your co-travellers about this grand scheme of FasTag, and then end up at a non-working FasTag toll booth counter (with your co-travellers sniggering) which never works!.

Most Viewed