Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2017, 09:38   #1651
Team-BHP Support

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Got my car's Fastag sourced through Paytm activated.

Sept 23 - Applied online and sent a copy of the RC in JPEG format.

Oct 3 - Received the Fastag through Blue Dart. Affixed it to the windshield the same day.

Oct 4 - Drove through a toll and realised the tag isn't activated as the scanner displayed some 'blacklisted car' error.

Oct 6 - Sent a mail to customer support (fastag@paytm.com) requesting them to activate it. Attached the RC copy in the mail. Activated same day evening.

Oct 7 - Tested it on the earlier toll. Got the deduction message and the deduction shows up on the app as well.

This thread helped a lot - many thanks to Rajeevraj (for the customer support mail), Paragbhai (for the application on the windshield hack), audioholic (for the responses to the Paytm related queries) and Suhas for the guide.

Our upcoming drive next week should be a little less taxing I hope.

Here's where I have affixed it:

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-img_20171004_092829.jpg

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-img_20171004_092807.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 7th October 2017 at 09:42.
Gannu_1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th October 2017, 08:17   #1652
Distinguished - BHPian

While the intent is good, the means is not. To ensure that the FASTag is easily visible to toll booth operators etc., NHAI is making the tags bigger and bigger. End result is that it takes up more and more space on the windscreen.

Wish the tag looked better too.
Old 8th October 2017, 09:46   #1653
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
While the intent is good, the means is not. To ensure that the FASTag is easily visible to toll booth operators etc., NHAI is making the tags bigger and bigger. End result is that it takes up more and more space on the windscreen.

Wish the tag looked better too.
Do you mean to say that the newer tags are bigger? Both the tags I have are of the same shape and size, and the only visible difference between them is the logo of issuing bank. Once this system becomes more organised, I am going to peel off the white background and leave only the antenna and tag IC on the windscreen. In that form, its barely noticeable.
Old 8th October 2017, 12:32   #1654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
.......After reading tag and car manual instructions, I have pasted it on the mottled/shaded area of the glass, factory tag being on the other side. Picture below.
Attachment 1672286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Got my car's Fastag sourced through Paytm activated.
Attachment 1683027
I think you should have pasted it on the mottled/shaded area of the glass as I have posted last month. Because it is clearly visible to the toll booth boys and perfectly scans by the booths, more importantly keeping the glass area infront of you clutter-free.

Here is a video of my first tag use, day before at Devanahalli Toll Plaza.
Old 8th October 2017, 13:51   #1655
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Do you mean to say that the newer tags are bigger? Both the tags I have are of the same shape and size, and the only visible difference between them is the logo of issuing bank.
Yup, the 2016 tags were smaller and identical to the OEM ones. On my cars the ICICIB tag is from early 2016 while the Paytm one is brand new.
Attached Thumbnails
FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-1507450789649.jpg  

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-1507450801941.jpg  

Last edited by itwasntme : 8th October 2017 at 13:53. Reason: Clarity
itwasntme is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2017, 16:12   #1656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Works very perfectly and as expected.

So the first time you pass a booth, it charges one way fare from your account. You return back and pass the same booth before 24 Hours, it will charge only the remaining part to make up for the "return" fare.

So your problem of buying a return ticket is solved here. Earlier one had to plan to return back before its 24 hours (or even 12 in case of few booths in Bangalore). With FASTag, you need not worry on that. So if you had a bought a return ticket and get delayed, you had to again buy a one way ticket. It may also happen that you returned via different route. It is exactly here that the FASTag comes to benefit.

If you return back before 24 hours is when you will be charged appropriately for the return amount else it will deduct full one way fare if you pass after 24 hours as usual.
Is it 24 hours or same day?

Same day means if your outward journey happens on a particular date on or after 00:00:00, you must complete the inward journey on that same date latest by 23:59:59.
Old 8th October 2017, 16:15   #1657
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post

Same day means if your outward journey happens on a particular date on or after 00:00:00, you must complete the inward journey on that same date latest by 23:59:59.
24 Hours for all NHAI booths except few booths like Nelamangala, BETL etc where the cut off is 1159.

Here an example from my recent drive to Hyderabad and back. The second time I was charged only remaining amount passing many toll Plazas. Shown here is Raikal:

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-20171008-16.18.45.png

Last edited by paragsachania : 8th October 2017 at 16:20.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2017, 16:45   #1658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
It's 24 hrs.

Recently had a journey from Trichy to Coimbatore via Kangeyam, Sengampalli on the same day. There were 3 toll booths at Thiruparaithurai, Manavasi near Karur and Kaniyur near Coimbatore. All had Fastag lanes and allowed only vehicles with tags. The process was automatic and smooth.
Old 8th October 2017, 17:34   #1659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Got the deduction message and the deduction shows up on the app as well.
Which app? PayTM app or Fastag app? Also was the non-activate tag an error or does it come non-activated by default?
Old 8th October 2017, 17:37   #1660
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
24 Hours for all NHAI booths except few booths like Nelamangala, BETL etc where the cut off is 1159.

Here an example from my recent drive to Hyderabad and back. The second time I was charged only remaining amount passing many toll Plazas. Shown here is Raikal:

Attachment 1683536
Yo Paragbhai, I was charged the single trip's fare during my return journey yesterday!

Name:  1.PNG
Views: 5899
Size:  22.5 KB

Can't seem to find a way to raise a flag with Paytm. Looks like I'll have to send a mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Which app? PayTM app or Fastag app? Also was the non-activate tag an error or does it come non-activated by default?
PayTM app. Haven't installed the Fastag app yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I think you should have pasted it on the mottled/shaded area of the glass as I have posted last month. Because it is clearly visible to the toll booth boys and perfectly scans by the booths, more importantly keeping the glass area infront of you clutter-free.
The black patch on the Polo isn't as big as on your BMW so part of it would jut out which looks awkward. Plus, the way I've pasted it right now, doesn't cause any distraction as the mirror hides it.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 8th October 2017 at 17:39.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 14:06   #1661
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
The Fastag setup at Vaikundam toll booth on NH544 between Salem and Coimbatore is behaving erratically...
Quote:
It's been over 10 days...
Quote:
...Have written to them.
Quote:
Since nothing has happened after all these many days, I ended up posting a grievance at the PG Portal...
Finally, the incorrectly debited amounts have been credited to the Tag account.

I had started from NHAI. They passed the ball to IHMCL. IHMCL wrote to ICICI. ICICI claimed that the toll operator uses SBIPSPL as the provider for the Fastag toll recovery system, and they have to refund the amounts first. After making a couple of phone calls, SBIPSPL have asked Hitachi Payment Services Pvt Ltd, who handles the system for this particular toll booth, to initiate a charge-back.

What really gets my goat is, an incorrect debit doesn't go through all these many hoops. But the moment a charge-back is requested for such a reason as simple as this one, these nincompoops keep sitting on it for eons until someone decides to offer their posteriors an application of force with our lower appendages. I hope mine is an isolated incident and NHAI does ensure quality of service.
silversteed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 16:29   #1662
BHPian

Hi Guys,
I filled up and applied online thru HDFC for a Fast Tag. This was on 07/10, and today 09/10, I got a sms from HDFC stating that my Fast Tag account has been successfully charged for Rs 1000/-, which was the amount I had asked to be charged. What I would like to know is if the Fast Tag sticker will be sent to me by HDFC by courier, which I hope. This query because there is no mail as such from HDFC, and their help line is useless.
Thanks.
Old 9th October 2017, 16:42   #1663
BHPian

I just got my Paytm fastag sticker a couple of days back. The process was quick . Received it in 6 days after applying online.
My query is, there is now an additional tab in my paytm passbook called "fastag" and has the initial amount of Rs.150. I understand that it will be debited every time the vehicle passes through a fastag lane. But, what happens when that depletes? Will the money be debited automatically from my paytm wallet? Or should I transfer some of the money from my paytm wallet to the fastag sub-wallet?
Old 9th October 2017, 20:14   #1664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcan123 View Post
.....has the initial amount of Rs.150. I understand that it will be debited every time the vehicle passes through a fastag lane. But, what happens when that depletes? Will the money be debited automatically from my paytm wallet?
As long as you have money in your main wallet, it will keep deducting without any issue. Fastag wallet always show 150 for some unknown reason, even the support guys may not know why its that way.
shajufx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 22:12   #1665
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Used SBI fastag during last week hyderabad trip. Loaded the tag with 1400 towards both sides toll.

At some other places it says blacklisted tag. Very next booth it detects normally

At Pullur, they don't want Fastag at all. They told me tag not working. refused to bring hand scanner stating supervisor not present. I have refused to vacate the lane until it is scanned. Then supervisor came argued the same. They gave me NHAI official number to call and check. I had called the given number(NHAI hyderabad office) The lady officer told me " these guys are creating lot of problems" . Because of her, they brought hand held scanner in power off position. When it was powered on , it asked for password. Toll supervisor said no pasword and scanned the tag. Scanner could not read the tag. Finally had to pay and leave

Biggest surprise is Bagepalli toll. The Fastag lane was completely closed and i was asked to pay. I had paid accordingly. That was around 8.23 AM. I have got SMS stating Rs 85 deducted as toll as Bagapalli at 1.12 PM. At that time i was at Pullur toll plaza arguing with them. My Pullur toll plaza receipt time is 1.14PM.

How was that possible?

Raised a complaint with SBI. SBI replied " refund will be initiated upon receipt of a copy physical toll receipt"

At Devanahalli, during return journey, Fastag was not working. I was just waived off without even scanning. Same thing happened with another guy in front of me

Most Viewed