Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2017, 09:06   #1801
Senior - BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
The fasttag lanes at PamPamPallam at walayar also did not have dedicated lanes.
Pampampallam/Walayar tollbooth also has dedicated FASTag lanes to the best of my knowledge, 3rd or 4th from the right while driving towards Coimbatore, and 2nd or 3rd from the left while driving towards Thrissur.

Last edited by silversteed : 3rd November 2017 at 09:07.
silversteed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2017, 09:33   #1802
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
FASTag mandatory for all new 4-wheelers from December 1: Road Ministry.
I think this a good move, but more than anything else it fixes the gaps with the government's earlier mandate on all cars having factory-fitted RFID tags. While the manufacturers supplied the new cars with RFID tags, they were just for display purposes and even the FasTag providers weren't able to (or did not want to!) integrate with that tag, instead they supplied their own tags so could charge customers and get some revenue from the initiative.

This is now ensuring that the next step of actually getting a valid tag associated to that RFID is done at the time of purchase of a new car
However, it does not spell out specifically if the factory-fitted RFID will integrate with FasTag or not (I have my own doubts if that will be integrated), so probably the various FasTag providers will now tie up with different dealers and have their tags sold and affixed on new cars.

Here's another news article in today's Indian Express, Bangalore - Link

With more vehicles being FasTag ready, it is really time the earlier news that came out couple of months ago is implemented - all toll booths in every toll plaza must support FasTag OR fewer booths must accept cash and cards, more booths for E-Payment (Fastag, Paytm, etc).
Old 3rd November 2017, 10:37   #1803
BHPian

I have a different question on Fastag.
Why is the Fastag tied to the car? It's just a payment mechanism to pay tolls digitally rt? Wouldn't it be good to make it easier to buy - like a separate card/tag which can be used by any car. Now procuring it is a difficult task - upload RC, license etc.
Is there any advantage of linking it to the car?

(I have seen TouchNGo in Malaysia which is a digital payment card/device which anyone can buy from lot of places including convenience stores. It is the main digital payment mechanism for tolls there. It is not tied to a specific car, you can use it to pay toll for any car.)
Old 3rd November 2017, 10:48   #1804
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyBoy View Post
More than linking it to a specific car, their intention is to link it to a specific class of vehicle, ie Car, Truck, Bus and so on. To prevent any cheating, they ensure that the tag is pasted onto the vehicle and cant be changed from vehicle to vehicle. Consider the scenario if a car owner obtains a tag and then uses it for a bus or truck. That will lead to him benefiting from cheap toll rates since the system cannot currently verify if the class of vehicle is correct or wrong. Currently only the colour of the tag can tell what class of vehicle it is meant for. This again is not enforced strictly I guess, since its difficult to spot the colour of tag and the security staff should be educated about this.

Hence, to prevent such mischief, the tolls usually are pasted and verified by an authority to enable them. Hence its made to be permanent and vehicle specific.
Old 3rd November 2017, 10:49   #1805
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have a different question on Fastag.
Why is the Fastag tied to the car? It's just a payment mechanism to pay tolls digitally rt? Wouldn't it be good to make it easier to buy - like a separate card/tag which can be used by any car. Now procuring it is a difficult task - upload RC, license etc.
1) Else people start buying a tag for 'Passenger Car' category and use it on a truck / multi-axle vehicle to save the toll fee (on a man-less fastag lane)
2) To track the vehicles (in case of theft, mishap, etc)
Old 3rd November 2017, 11:33   #1806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
More than linking it to a specific car, their intention is to link it to a specific class of vehicle, ie Car, Truck, Bus and so on. To prevent any cheating, they ensure that the tag is pasted onto the vehicle and cant be changed from vehicle to vehicle. Consider the scenario if a car owner obtains a tag and then uses it for a bus or truck. ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
1) Else people start buying a tag for 'Passenger Car' category and use it on a truck / multi-axle vehicle to save the toll fee (on a man-less fastag lane)
Won't keeping a height barrier on the Fastag Lane solve this? Only cars can go through the lane, lorries and buses have to go to the manual lane. Something like in the picture below.

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-tng.jpg
JohnyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2017, 11:38   #1807
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Won't keeping a height barrier on the Fastag Lane solve this? Only cars can go through the lane, lorries and buses have to go to the manual lane.
Possible, only for cars.
In case of 2 axle and multi-axle commercial vehicles it is difficult to manage.
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2017, 11:42   #1808
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Won't keeping a height barrier on the Fastag Lane solve this? Only cars can go through the lane, lorries and buses have to go to the manual lane. Something like in the picture below.
Maybe in the long run, but in addition to what Mr. Boss has mentioned, the tolls are struggling or rather adamant to implement a single dedicated lane for Fastag. Asking for more than one lane will be too much in the current scenario. Also, forcing commercial and oversized vehicles to use other lanes will defeat the purpose of Fastag since on a rough estimate, I can guess that the usage of Fastag will be more by commercial vehicles than private cars since the CVs cover a lot of distance and pass through a lot of tolls more than what an average PV would do. Hence, in the longrun it would work the way you said. For the current state, its not possible.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2017, 11:49   #1809
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I think this a good move, but more than anything else it fixes the gaps with the government's earlier mandate on all cars having factory-fitted RFID tags. While the manufacturers supplied the new cars with RFID tags, they were just for display purposes and even the FasTag providers weren't able to (or did not want to!) integrate with that tag, instead they supplied their own tags so could charge customers and get some revenue from the initiative.

This is now ensuring that the next step of actually getting a valid tag associated to that RFID is done at the time of purchase of a new car
However, it does not spell out specifically if the factory-fitted RFID will integrate with FasTag or not (I have my own doubts if that will be integrated), so probably the various FasTag providers will now tie up with different dealers and have their tags sold and affixed on new cars.
This is the problem, they themselves are not sure on what exactly they want out of this RFID fit by the manufacturer or the Fastag. Its really silly that thousands of vehicles run with these RFIDs which is of no use.

Quote:

Here's another news article in today's Indian Express, Bangalore - Link
In my opinion, fitting Fastag with new cars/trucks is not going to make any difference because, these new vehicles is going to be a very minute percentage considering the number of cars and trucks already on the highway. And it’s not a guarantee that all these new cars will enter the highway.

If they really want to make a difference and improve the current situation,
  1. Transport Ministry should understand on what they really want to achieve, are they happy with those nice posters with their pics which says "Easy to Cruise" and "Zip through the tolls"? OR do they really want to implement/improvise the situation at ground-level as well?
  2. They should enhance their current equipments and sensors with more powerful ones. Despite two years, there many booths that still depend on hand held devices because the automated scanner is not able to detect the tags, booths where trucks struggle to get and booths where these equipments have already failed.
  3. Then enable fastag at all lanes.
  4. Make Fastag mandatory for all vehicles, of course give some time and strict deadline.
Fitting the tag for just the new vehicles is really not a solution nor it is going to improve the current situation.

Last edited by arun_josie : 3rd November 2017 at 11:57.
arun_josie is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2017, 12:51   #1810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Possible, only for cars.
In case of 2 axle and multi-axle commercial vehicles it is difficult to manage.
Quote:
Maybe in the long run, but in addition to what Mr. Boss has mentioned, the tolls are struggling or rather adamant to implement a single dedicated lane for Fastag. Asking for more than one lane will be too much in the current scenario. Also, forcing commercial and oversized vehicles to use other lanes will defeat the purpose of Fastag since on a rough estimate, I can guess that the usage of Fastag will be more by commercial vehicles than private cars since the CVs cover a lot of distance and pass through a lot of tolls more than what an average PV would do. Hence, in the longrun it would work the way you said. For the current state, its not possible.
So multiple classes of vehicles is what makes it mandatory to tie/link the tag to specific vehicles. Ok.
Old 3rd November 2017, 14:27   #1811
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Won't keeping a height barrier on the Fastag Lane solve this? Only cars can go through the lane,
Many booths between Mumbai and Ahmedabad have a "width barrier" that ensures only cars can enter those lanes.

Given the fact that this sector ha's as many cars are trucks, I kinda loved this arrangement during pre-fastag days.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2017, 14:06   #1812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Especially the Hoskote guys deserve appreciation for giving their best efforts to keep the Fastag lane working and exclusive.
Second that, it was my best FASTag experience so far. Here is the video:
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2017, 14:46   #1813
BHPian

In my opinion, major issues can be solved if they set up dedicated fastag lanes separated from at least two kilometers before tollplaza. Also set up the scanner at the very entrance. In this way, non tag and faulty tag users can be avoided blocking the lane.
Old 4th November 2017, 14:54   #1814
Senior - BHPian

Since my usage of tolled highways are few and far between, I had not seriously looked at acquiring a FasTag till now. But the relative ease with which a majority of FasTag enabled vehicles pass the toll booths while I am struggling to locate the exact change, has forced me to get one.

The sceptic that I am with regard to the services of private banks, I have done the unthinkable. Yes, I have requested for a FasTag from SBI. Not sure whether the service really exists or is just a lip service / PR exercise. Will update the thread on the experience. Meanwhile, you too can kick start the process by filling this form.
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2017, 16:29   #1815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Second that, it was my best FASTag experience so far. Here is the video:
Nice to see Hoskote being appreciated, not one but by 2 users.

I have still to ever have been debited at Hoskote while entering Bangalore till date since I started using FasTag in June 2016. I by-pass the toll by using Devanahalli - Hoskote road while going towards Kolar so cannot comment on experience in that direction.

Have either of you used Bagepalli? On the highway between Bangalore and Anantpur.

No need to halt at the boom barrier. Of course, you would anyway not be zipping and would have slowed down due to speed breakers there. The best maintained toll for near flawless user experience.

Comment is based in multiple uses spread over near 18 months of FasTag experience.

Last edited by Aditya : 8th November 2017 at 08:03. Reason: Deleting video in quote
hyd_traveller is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed