Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2017, 13:55   #1846
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
Parag, are you sure about the 24hrs thing? I thought it was till midnight only. Have you verified this in any of your innumerable highway trips?
Regards
Shailesh
Depends upon the toll booth or not sure if its a Govt. prescribed system. But at least in Hoskote toll booth which I use frequently and the Mulbagal Toll booth on the way to Tirupathi, the return journey is valid for 24Hrs. I pass through the toll booth once in the evening on the way to my village and return next day morning. Yet on the return journey it deducts only the balance amount for the 2 way toll price.

In the Mulbagal toll booth, we once crossed this at 6PM one evening on the way to Tirupathi, and while returning the next day at 430PM the return toll was applied automatically.
Old 8th November 2017, 14:34   #1847
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Depends upon the toll booth or not sure if its a Govt. prescribed system.
In general, unless otherwise applicable, all NHAI toll booths on highways have 24 hours validity for return journey toll tickets purchased.

I am not sure if you will be able to recall but the BETL toll at Electronics city also had 24 Hours validity before when it opened to public in 2010. But here is what happened:

Daily users purchased return tickets and then used it for their onward and return journeys on Day 1 and made sure to pass that booth 5-10 minutes before the validity expires on Day 2. That way, they ensured a return ticket was used for at least 3 one way journeys. I also did that quite regularly .

This became a very common practice and knowing that this will hit the revenues of the of consortium, they abolished this system and changed the validity to 00:00 Hours of the same calendar day!

The NBTL booth I think kicked off with a 00:00 Hours window on day 1 itself.

Since both these booths are almost part of the city, the users would be daily office goers and company buses and hence changing the validity to 00:00 Hours actually made a huge difference. Let us also not forget that while almost all NHAI booths don't levy toll for 2 wheelers, the BETL one does. If they don't, they know they are at loss again because thousands of them take the tolled route every day.

These 2 examples below are from booths that won't see huge incoming and outgoing traffic along with daily office goers compared to Hosur Road and Tumkur Road. So ideally it is following a standard practice of 24 hours validty:

Quote:
But at least in Hoskote toll booth which I use frequently and the Mulbagal Toll booth on the way to Tirupathi, the return journey is valid for 24Hrs. I pass through the toll booth once in the evening on the way to my village and return next day morning. Yet on the return journey it deducts only the balance amount for the 2 way toll price.
Quote:

In the Mulbagal toll booth, we once crossed this at 6PM one evening on the way to Tirupathi, and while returning the next day at 430PM the return toll was applied automatically.
Again, the KIAL booth cannot implement this 00:00 Hours validity mainly because Taxis will protest or even those employees headed to work at the Airport with odd shifts too because for most of then, they may never do a same calendar day return.

Last edited by paragsachania : 8th November 2017 at 14:35.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 15:32   #1848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Daily users purchased return tickets and then used it for their onward and return journeys on Day 1 and made sure to pass that booth 5-10 minutes before the validity expires on Day 2. That way, they ensured a return ticket was used for at least 3 one way journeys. I also did that quite regularly .
I am in the impression that the return ticket purchased gets automatically expired when we use it for return journey. But by reading your post, I am getting an impression that the return ticket can be used any number of times (within 24 hours). Did I got it wrong? can you please clarify .
Once I also asked a toll guy whether it is for multiple journeys or single, and he replied me that it can be used only once with in 24 hours.
Old 8th November 2017, 15:40   #1849
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsun View Post
I am in the impression that the return ticket purchased gets automatically expired when we use it for return journey.
This is true and no one is denying that.

Return Journey = One Onward Journey and One Return Journey.

Quote:
But by reading your post, I am getting an impression that the return ticket can be used any number of times (within 24 hours). Did I got it wrong? can you please clarify .
I don't think I typed so poorly to give you that impression . I was only answering the fact that FASTag takes care of your return journey toll by deducting exact amount as applicable in case of a return toll ticket.
Query: If I have a FASTag, will it take care of appropriate deduction if I return back within 24 hours (or before 00:00 wherever applicable)
Answer : Yes
Then, one need not get confused between a "Return journey Ticket" and "Day Pass Ticket" where the latter is what gets used on BETL if you buy a return ticket and have multiple runs before 23:59 on BETL expressway.

Quote:
Once I also asked a toll guy whether it is for multiple journeys or single, and he replied me that it can be used only once with in 24 hours.
Already explained earlier.

Last edited by paragsachania : 8th November 2017 at 15:46.
Old 8th November 2017, 15:48   #1850
BHPian

Has anyone got the cashback for FasTag? Since I started using my FasTag in July, I have not got a single month's cashback. Is this something wrong with my account or is there a general delay associated with the Govt. process?
Old 8th November 2017, 15:50   #1851
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeetSC View Post
Has anyone got the cashback for FasTag? Since I started using my FasTag in July, I have not got a single month's cashback. Is this something wrong with my account or is there a general delay associated with the Govt. process?
With my ICICI FASTag, I have regularly received cashback every month without fail.
Old 8th November 2017, 15:59   #1852
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeetSC View Post
There is some delay but I too have received cashback for every month.
Reposting my earlier post on this thread (#1721). Will give you an idea of the delay in cashback credit.

Quote:
Received Cashback towards the toll usage for the period 01st - 31st May, 2017 on 1st August.

Received Cashback towards the toll usage for the period 01st - 31st July, 2017 on 10th October.

In both cases, it was 7.5% cashback.
Note - I did not have any Fastag activity on my tag for the month of June.
Old 8th November 2017, 16:34   #1853
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I don't think I typed so poorly to give you that impression.

Yes my friend, you did not typed so poorly . Its me who do not know the concept of the "Day pass Ticket".

Last edited by ampere : 15th November 2017 at 07:35. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
vsun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 21:52   #1854
BANNED

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

I had applied for FASTag via Hdfc .On online payment I received an e-mail asking to sign and upload copy of form .I did that but havenot heard from Hdfc .It is nearing a week now .
Old 10th November 2017, 00:49   #1855

Applied for the ICICI Fastag on 2nd November night. Got it delivered on 9th Novemebr. Both account and fastag account was activated on 3rd November itself.

Will install it tomorrow. Lets see if it works as expected.
Old 10th November 2017, 09:14   #1856
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Bad luck continues
Getting the below error from Equitas site
Finally managed to complete the payment last night
Old 12th November 2017, 12:52   #1857
BHPian

I received my Fastag about three weeks ago, but did not have the opportunity of trying it out. Last night I called up Tacho9000 to ask him if he is interested to join me for a breakfast drive to Azad Hind Dhaba, tomorrow, also told him the objective. It was very nice of him to agree.

This morning (12th November 2017), after pasting the tag, left home at 6.10 AM, picked up Tacho9000 and started for the drive.

The experience is as below

Rajchandrapur Toll (Rs 45 deducted), (this one is after crossing Nivedita Setu), 4 trucks in front of me in the Fastag lane. Other lanes had a queue of about 3 to 4 vehicles. Automatic reading of the tag, maybe a wait of 10 mins. SMS came after 15 mins. Two SMSs came both having the same txn Id number.

Dankuni Toll (Rs 75 deducted), we had 5 trucks ahead of us. Since we had ample time on us, the 14 mins wait did not disturb, but it felt strange since most of the other toll gates were empty. SMS came in 20 mins.

Return Trip

Dankuni Toll (Rs 40 deducted), 3 trucks ahead of us, standstill for 5 mins, then an employee of the tax company told us to reverse and drive to another toll which was empty. We did so, only to wait for 3 mins as the person in the toll booth did not realize that we had a fastag. Tacho9000 got off the car, told him, the barrier opened immediately. SMS came after 25 mins.

Rajchandrapur Toll (Rs 45 deducted), surprising no concession on to and fro trip. Here the tag was scanned using a hand held device. The toll gate was empty, it was a quick process. SMS came after 2 hours.

The summary

Encouraging to see trucks using fastag.

With the increased number of vehicles using fastag, the number of counters should be increased as it would be pretty frustrating to see many cash lanes empty and a queue on the fastag lane.

Apart from buying the Fastag for Rs 500, I had loaded Rs 500 in my Paytm account. The total amount of the tax paid today (Rs 205) has been deducted from the Paytm account as the balance now shows as Rs 295.
ALTIMAed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2017, 14:32   #1858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivasnvns View Post
I received the second tag today; and Paytm sure knows how to goof up. The tag does not show up in the account. On calling them, even they were not able to see the tag at their end. The lady on the call took a complaint and promised a resolution in 48 business hours.

I think I have fallen into the 48 hours resolution vicious trap.
The issue did not resolve after the promised 48 hours. Every time I call, they used to mention that the team is working on the same and I was asked to call back after 24 hours if it did not get resolved. So I called 3-4 times, every 24 hours. On one of the calls, I even mentioned about escalating the issue to Paytm CEO and service head. I think it fell on deaf ears.

However, on 9th November, a lady manning the service desk at Paytm promised a resolution in 4 hours. The issue did get resolved and the tag showed up as active in 2 hours with a couple of SMSes coming my way. But not before another goof up.

A wrong tag # got associated with my Paytm account. A couple of emails and more than couple of calls later, the same lady (coincidentally the call on 10th November connected to her) mentioned that the correct tag has been dispatched and asked me to expect it in 2-3 days. Now onto more waiting.

Some notes from this Paytm Fastag debacle:

1. Whenever I call them, I ensure that they make a note of the summary of the call in their case history.

2. I also raised a couple of complaints and made sure they gave me reference #s regarding the same.

3. The customer service desk guys have access to fastag@paytm.com email inbox and I send them the information they request (say tag photos) on the call itself and ensure they have received it.
Old 12th November 2017, 16:45   #1859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivasnvns View Post
The issue did not resolve after the promised 48 hours. Every time I call, they used to mention that the team is working on the same and I was asked to call back after 24 hours if it did not get resolved. So I called 3-4 times, every 24 hours. On one of the calls, I even mentioned about escalating the issue to Paytm CEO and service head. I think it fell on deaf ears.
Good luck dealing with Paytm on this.

I ordered my fastag on 8th September.

They shipped me the wrong tag (another users tag which was linked to another car's registration) .
every time I call paytm support, it sounds like I'm talking into an IVR.

"Sir, your case is our priority, I have escalated it and you will receive a response in 24 hours"

The government of India should do background checks on such shady companies which does not have the back end to support a huge government project such as fastag.

Last edited by ampere : 15th November 2017 at 07:36. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
vinaydas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2017, 22:01   #1860
BHPian

Great news for users for Paliyekkera / Thrissur toll. I drove from Bangalore to Kochi on Saturday. The dedicated toll lane for FASTAG is now exclusive for FASTAG users!!! They have barricaded this lane now and a person has been posted there making sure that no other vehicles enter. There are some souls who still try to pry in; but they were not entertained. So, one pain point regarding tolls taken care of. The only bastion left is the LnT by-pass, Coimbatore.

Last edited by glenmz : 12th November 2017 at 22:03.
glenmz is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed