Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2018, 07:35   #2161
Senior - BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Hi All,

I received my Fastag on the weekend. I installed it behind the IRVM , but it is not in a straight line. It is slightly titled to the top. I hope it works.

Please confirm.
Old 10th January 2018, 07:48   #2162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
but it is not in a straight line. It is slightly titled to the top. I hope it works.

Please confirm.
Won't matter much as long as you aren't hampering the RFID frequencies.

The Tags on these trucks are never in straight line even if they are pasted right and they work :

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-img_5382.jpg
paragsachania is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th January 2018, 15:11   #2163
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Fastag update from recent Bangalore-Kanchipuram-Bangalore Trip:
Onward:
Used the designated Fastag lanes at all tolls and tag was scanned automatically at all tolls except Vaniyambadi where the attendant used a hand held scanner.
I entered the lane very slowly but he said that sometimes unless you pause/stop momentarily at the pole that has the scanner fixed to it (just before the toll booth where attendant sits), it does not recognize.

Return:
Used the designated Fastag lanes at all tolls and tag was scanned automatically.
Krishnagiri and Attibele tolls were crowded and badly managed (as usual).

Note:At Krishnagiri (in the direction towards Bangalore), lane numbering starts from right and Lane 4 is the Dedicated ETC (& Fastag signaged dedicated lane) lane, and also Lane 6 (second from left) now has "ETC/Cash" signage and can be used by Fastag vehicles.

*On this route, I'm not sure if any toll plazas have the support for Fastag on all lanes yet (I thought 31 Dec 2017 was the deadline for it ?)
Old 10th January 2018, 16:57   #2164
BHPian

My friend got a PayTM fastag and he has sticked it outside the windshield. Is this how PayTM fastag has to be put. ICICI fastag I am using is on the inner side of the windshield.

KK
Old 10th January 2018, 17:07   #2165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
My friend got a PayTM fastag and he has sticked it outside the windshield. Is this how PayTM fastag has to be put. ICICI fastag I am using is on the inner side of the windshield.

KK
KK, I suspect something is not right and your friend ended up pasting it wrongly?

I am sure these FASTag irrespective of whichever institution you have purchased are all meant to be pasted inside of the windscreen. No two thoughts about it.

If your friend can indeed confirm this with a picture where the RFID Tag is still facing the outside with the tag pasted outside, then it would certainly be a QC issue and a manufacturing defect.

I am again sure that no one would come up with a Tag that is meant to be pasted outside knowing that it will have to face a lot - Rains, Bird Drops, Stone/Pebble hits, Insects etc.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 08:47   #2166
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

KK
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I am sure these FASTag irrespective of whichever institution you have purchased are all meant to be pasted inside of the windscreen. No two thoughts about it.
+1 to Parag. Both the fastags that I got (one from Equitas and the other from PayTM) have one common instruction:

"Paste the Fastag such that the toll free number faces the cabin".

I am sure it is impossible to stick it from outside unless your friend read it as "the toll free number now faces the toll booth operator".
moralfibre is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 15:07   #2167
BHPian

Quote:
KK, I suspect something is not right and your friend ended up pasting it wrongly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
+1 to Parag. Both the fastags that I got (one from Equitas and the other from PayTM) have one common instruction:

"Paste the Fastag such that the toll free number faces the cabin".

I am sure it is impossible to stick it from outside unless your friend read it as "the toll free number now faces the toll booth operator".
Thanks for your responses, he checked and confirmed he has posted it outside by mistake, thinking bar code has to be faced outside.

KK
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 16:18   #2168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your responses, he checked and confirmed he has posted it outside by mistake, thinking bar code has to be faced outside.

KK
And that means I only hope he is able to remove that without damaging that Tag. It's almost impossible to peel that off without damaging the tag. I presume he will have to order again!
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 16:35   #2169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It's almost impossible to peel that off without damaging the tag. I presume he will have to order again!
True, it gets damaged easily. Better to get the tag replaced with a new one.
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 17:34   #2170
BHPian

Wont RFID work even if pasted on the outside? I feel he can continue to use the tag instead of trying to remove, which will definitely damage it.
Old 11th January 2018, 17:40   #2171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makin Rulesz View Post
Wont RFID work even if pasted on the outside? I feel he can continue to use the tag instead of trying to remove, which will definitely damage it.
The Biggest problem in pasting that way:

The Guard manning that FASTag lane will allow you only upon visibly noticing the Tag (Logo). Else he will simply ask you to take the cash lane.

So more importantly, pasting the tag that way is more to get 'noticed'

This is the very reason why most of us here insist that the tag be pasted in a manner that the logo is visible to the guard outside more than the scanning part.

A colleague with a Duster went overboard, but the Tag exactly to its border and pasted and every time he drove to KL, he had a tough time to prove it to the guard that its is indeed a FASTag and not a manufacturer RFID Tag.

Last edited by paragsachania : 11th January 2018 at 17:41.
Old 11th January 2018, 21:15   #2172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makin Rulesz View Post
Wont RFID work even if pasted on the outside?
It is at the mercy of all sort of vandals though. Based on where you are, you might have to replace it weekly.
Old 11th January 2018, 21:42   #2173
Distinguished - BHPian

The other problem of pasting the tag outside is in case it comes in the path of the wiper, it will lead to early failure of wiper blades demanding frequent replacement.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 22:09   #2174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

KK
KK, Since he has already pasted this, if it is not in the way of the wiper, perhaps, he can look at a small piece of Paint Protection Film from 3M that can be applied on top of this, so that you can extend the life of the tag.
Old 12th January 2018, 05:14   #2175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
KK, Since he has already pasted this, if it is not in the way of the wiper, perhaps, he can look at a small piece of Paint Protection Film from 3M that can be applied on top of this, so that you can extend the life of the tag.
PPF on top of fastag is a no go, tag stops working. I have tried it in my XC90. The glass in XC90 is too thick for fastag to work from inside, so I had to stick it outside with the circuit facing towards toll booth and applied PPF on top of it. The tag did not work at multiple toll booths during a recent drive. I removed PPF, applied clear cellotape on it and it starts working again.I am unable to understand the reason behind it. One may say it was the toll booth issue but that has been ruled out as my friends's car with fastag was able to pass through same toll booth without any issue.

Last edited by mjumrani : 12th January 2018 at 05:23. Reason: Typo.
mjumrani is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks