Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2018, 14:59   #2431
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
I have always failed to understand the logics of the implementations in our place
Its fairly simple

Toll operators doesn't want it to be successful.

There are two scenarios what you face now as Fastag users -
a) You end up in a long line of vehicles in the single 'dedicated' fastag lane while cash lanes are empty.
b) 'Dedicated' lane is closed since they have enabled hybrid lanes, so you end up behind vehicles paying toll in cash.

NB: I have Email ID of KA NHAI in-charge and that of IHMCL. However, can someone share Email ID's of NHAI and surface transport minisitries contact ID's if available. Thinking of sending across a mail with the issue mentioned above. Specific toll booth I am planning of mentioning is Hebbalu toll booth. I got a picture taken last Saturday with scenario a mentioned above.
Old 19th March 2018, 15:07   #2432
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Specific toll booth I am planning of mentioning is Hebbalu toll booth. I got a picture taken last Saturday with scenario a mentioned above.
Both Hebbalu and Chalageri to be precise. These booths have no dedicated FASTag lane and they remain closed permanently. I remember this since at least 4 months now ever since they got all lanes with Hybrid scanners.

I had also mentioned here how I once noticed long queues, went to the FASTag lane where there was till someone manning but upon asking why they have closed the FASTag lane, his response was 'All lanes are FASTag lanes now, take whichever lane you want'.

The ask here is simple : Don't make a fool out of the FASTag user by having a dedicated lane and still allowing cash vehicles even on a normal day. And Don't have a FASTag lane if all lanes are Hybrid. We will stop complaining!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
At few places (Chalageri and Hebbalu booths), they had closed down the FASTag lane fully and when I asked the guard to move the barricade, he responded that 'All lanes are FASTag'.

Last edited by paragsachania : 19th March 2018 at 15:09.
Old 19th March 2018, 15:52   #2433
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The ask here is simple : Don't make a fool out of the FASTag user by having a dedicated lane and still allowing cash vehicles even on a normal day. And Don't have a FASTag lane if all lanes are Hybrid. We will stop complaining!
I am asking a bit more

Have dedicated Fastag lane, so that we Fastag users can exit the toll soon. However, do have hybrid lanes too. So that if there are more vehicles in dedicated lane, we can select any lane with less vehicles.

A PIB report on the same

NHAI had around last year end mentioned that around 20% of toll collection was through Fastag.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2018, 16:07   #2434
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Have dedicated Fastag lane, so that we Fastag users can exit the toll soon.
Here is where it all starts. There is no dedication for the dedicated lane as we have been witnessing from the past. Let that dedicated lane, if in place, cater to FASTag users only at any cost. But that doesn't happen and its so inconsistent.

Quote:
However, do have hybrid lanes too. So that if there are more vehicles in dedicated lane, we can select any lane with less vehicles.
Yes I agree. In fact my last 2 back to back trips from Pune has been at night and its exactly where you realise how bad it is to have just one lane for FASTag. The Hebbalu and Chalageri booths moved super fast because most of the traffic at 2AM were either private buses or National Permit trucks, all of these with FASTags. I loved this set-up. with just one lane, I may have preferred paying in cash like I did at Tumkur.
Old 19th March 2018, 22:33   #2435
Distinguished - BHPian

This is what I was saying of, take a look at the non Fastag booths-
FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-suh_3609.jpg
mpksuhas is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th March 2018, 22:55   #2436
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is what I was saying of, take a look at the non Fastag booths-
A very common scene these days when you know you are driving along with trucks. Come April-May, the scenes will be equally bad when you drive at night as truck traffic will be highest then due to summer conditions.

I recollect Arun's pic soon after you posted from Krishnagiri toll booth:

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-kgiri.jpg

This is the sole reason why they must have hybrid lanes now (I guess Krishnagiri has extra lanes where FASTag is allowed). With just one lane and dedicated, its going to be super chaotic!

And the last thing you want to do is cut the long line and enter into the dedicated lane. Its an irritant to self and others who are patiently waiting. Here was a typical scene where I had made up my mind that I wont enter the FASTag lane.

paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 07:19   #2437
BHPian

Highway ministry is aiming at making all toll lanes hybrid by April. Overall Aim is to e-collect 50% toll.
See the article from economic times -
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/63387892.cms
Old 21st March 2018, 10:44   #2438
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarirules View Post
Highway ministry is aiming at making all toll lanes hybrid by April. Overall Aim is to e-collect 50% toll.
I guess this is re-cycled news.

Earlier there were articles mentioning about the deadline as Dec 2017. So, either the news gets re-published or the deadline gets pushed.

Also, have mailed to NHAI about lack of implementation of both dedicated and hybrid lanes along with the picture I shared few posts earlier. Two days and no reply, in case I don't get any response by this weekend, will escalate it through PG portal.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 12:41   #2439
Senior - BHPian

I had quite a dream run yesterday on my way to Calicut. Attibele - the one with all hybrid lanes - had only one vehicle ahead of me, and everywhere else the dedicated lane worked as expected with the person manning the lane taking a no-nonsense approach. I probably saved nearly an hour till Palakkad if not more.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 13:49   #2440
BHPian

This thread is all about using a Fastag on our cars. When the car with a Fastag is sold, is there a process to change the ownership of the Fastag too? If the new owner makes some trips on tolled roads. The charges will reflect on our account.
Old 21st March 2018, 13:54   #2441
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavGTI View Post
This thread is all about using a Fastag on our cars. When the car with a Fastag is sold, is there a process to change the ownership of the Fastag too? If the new owner makes some trips on tolled roads. The charges will reflect on our account.
You can suspend/close the account once the car is sold and the balance amount will be paid back to you by the bank/institution.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 08:56   #2442
BHPian

Hi, what is the ideal location for placing the fastag?
I just received my Paytm fastag.
Above the irvm is what the instructions say. But I have a dashcam as well over there.
Also how do the handheld scanners work. Does the operator hand over the scanner to us (asking since it will help in determining the location for pasting the fastag?)
Old 22nd March 2018, 13:02   #2443
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi2390 View Post
Hi, what is the ideal location for placing the fastag?
I feel this is one topic we all get too much concerned about. I don't think placement of RFID anywhere on your windshield is going to create any difference.

However, having the tag next to IRVM helps you in avoiding it causing any obstruction to your view. More importantly, in lanes which which are manned to prevent non Fastag vehicles from entering, security will be able to identify your vehicle easily by checking at the popular (and suggested location by NHAI) position next to IRVM.

Regarding dashcam, you can check the same after getting the tag and sticking it temporarily using a tape. I too have dashcam installed next to the tag, however it is not causing any obstruction. Since, it will depend based on tag size and cam model, you may have to change the position of both to get an optimal position.

You can find the camera mount in my car in below pic
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 17:51   #2444
BHPian

Another question I have on Fastag is, why the tags being used are so small and feeble?

I have used Ezpass and its variants in USA and they always work flawlessly without scan issues or issues being reported here like allowing the previous vehicle in the queue etc. I never had a single problem during my time there and I used it everywhere. The transponder/tag on the car is a little bigger but not noticeably obtrusive. The same tag even works in Ezpass Express lanes which deducts tolls at highway speeds without need for slowing down.
Attached Thumbnails
FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-ezpass.jpg  

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 22nd March 2018 at 17:53.
Old 22nd March 2018, 18:19   #2445
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
Another question I have on Fastag is, why the tags being used are so small and feeble?

I have used Ezpass and its variants in USA and they always work flawlessly without scan issues or issues being reported here like allowing the previous vehicle in the queue etc. I never had a single problem during my time there and I used it everywhere. The transponder/tag on the car is a little bigger but not noticeably obtrusive. The same tag even works in Ezpass Express lanes which deducts tolls at highway speeds without need for slowing down.
There are two different parts to your query-

Though I never used the same. Ezpass, from the pic seems to be an active RFID device. Active RFID devices have its own power source (a small battery) with help of which it emits radio waves which are picked up toll booth sensors. This helps in having enhanced range. Draw back to this is that you need to change battery as and when it drains out.

Similar system was used in BETL road (under NHAI) earlier. They later changed to passive RFID system and then to Fastag (again another passive RFID system).

Few members had faced issue with the RFID tag emitting strange beeping noise when battery is low.

You can read my earlier post about the same here

You can find the details on how BETL changed to RFID system here.

Second part of your query, the reason why we are unable to zip past through Fastag lanes is since there is authentication done on real time basis. Again, no idea about Ezpass, however similar systems in middle east nations, as per my friends doesn't check your account balance on real time basis.

Meaning, you can still drive through even if your balance is nil. However, on doing that you are forced to pay fine next time you recharge. Now, try implementing a similar system here. People will just buy a tag for Rs 200, drive without charging the tag account and then will throw the tag away.

I guess, due to the challenges in enforcing fines for violators, NHAI has come up with the process for Fastag where account balance is checked in real time. So when you are nearing the toll plaza, your tag is read by the sensor and it checks the balance against your prepaid account. This takes time, since its almost similar to say, making a card purchase.
mpksuhas is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks