Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2018, 07:27   #2671
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
After a short time of resistance, he whipped the handheld unit out of his desk and scanned me through - lazy guy!!
When I drove back from Nagpur last month, at a booth before reaching Hyderabad I asked for Hand-held unit (as same was used here during onward) and he replied sheepishly that there was no electric charge left in the device .

We never fail to hear enough of these reasons and the low charge reason was first time ever in last 2 years of using FASTag!!
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 08:53   #2672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Transparent tape is just tape, but sun-film has more components in it.

Is any one facing issues with fast tags placed below sunfilm ? ( Fastag on the Sunfilm - Sunfilm on the windshield ?

Yes / no ?
which brand of sunfilm ?
Which Fastag ?

( I am not facing issues with the ICICI Fastag on Garware film )
I did not face any tag detection issues in the last one year of usage. My tag is held on the CR70 film using transparent sellotape. My tag is from ICICI.
Makin Rulesz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 09:40   #2673
Distinguished - BHPian

Why should the functioning differ for a FASTag that employs the same RFID technology but provided by different banks. It should work just like any other.

Just to reiterate this, I am again quoting few members who have on earlier occasions mentioned that FASTag works without issues when stuck behind Sun films (CR70 and likes) on their front windscreens!

Few instances below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
+1 works fine with the film. No need to cut or do anything else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoInt View Post
I have also pasted on CR70 film behind IVRM. It works fine. No issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavu75 View Post
I have 3M CR 70 sun-film on my Innova's windshield and pasted the tag just behind the mirror. It's working through the film and not giving me any issues.

Thanks
However, there have been few cases where issues were reported by owners of high end cars like Volvo XC90 where tag wasn't functioning due to thicker glass and 3M/PPF film:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
PPF on top of fastag is a no go, tag stops working. I have tried it in my XC90. The glass in XC90 is too thick for fastag to work from inside, so I had to stick it outside with the circuit facing towards toll booth and applied PPF on top of it. The tag did not work at multiple toll booths during a recent drive. I removed PPF, applied clear cellotape on it and it starts working again.I am unable to understand the reason behind it. One may say it was the toll booth issue but that has been ruled out as my friends's car with fastag was able to pass through same toll booth without any issue.
Hence, in general, we must lay speculations of tags related to particular banks working (or otherwise) to rest when it comes to regular cars which have sun films installed on the front windscreen.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 10:11   #2674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
...Will it be OK to install new FASTag above the dashcam (on the shaded area shown in below image) ? I want to utilize the otherwise unused space.

My concern : As per my understanding, this dotted shading (sun-block) is made of ceramic material. Will it obstruct the RFID function of FASTag and create issues while detection at toll booths ?
The marked area is fine, but you will face another problem - the security manning dedicated FASTag lanes at toll booths will not be able to see the tag clearly at the location they expect it to be seen, and consequently they will have to come close enough to make sure you have that tag. My preferred location to paste the tag is the top left or right corner, so it's visible to the toll booth attendants and easier for them to use the hand-held scanner if necessary, than craning over the bonnet to the middle of the windshield.

Ceramic material and Sun film do not block RFID. However, some windshields have metallised coatings or invisible coils (for heating/insulation, antennas, HUD etc) that foul with RF signals, and the tag, if pasted inside, will not work. The only solution in such cases is to paste the tag outside. I'm yet to see such a feature-rich windshield in a car that costs less than ~30L, so unless it's a big marque, the windshield will be the least of your worries.

Last edited by silversteed : 31st May 2018 at 10:16.
silversteed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 11:02   #2675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Transparent tape is just tape, but sun-film has more components in it.

Is any one facing issues with fast tags placed below sunfilm ? ( Fastag on the Sunfilm - Sunfilm on the windshield ?

Yes / no ?
which brand of sunfilm ?
Which Fastag ?

( I am not facing issues with the ICICI Fastag on Garware film )

My fastag pasted under the Garware windshield film did not work from day 1. Every time the handheld scanner was required. It too detected after 2-3 attempts,sometimes from inside the car. The car is XUV 500 btw. Planning to cut the sunfilm and order a new tag. Its an ICICI tag.
inder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 12:27   #2676
BHPian

I had pasted the FASTag first & then applied the 3M CR70 film.

Totally by-passed any such scanner related issue.

The water around the FASTag area evaporated eventually. Works like a charm.
catchdoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 19:05   #2677
Senior - BHPian

During my drive last week from Kolkata to Bangalore, I was pleasantly surprised that literally each and every toll plaza enroute accepted Fastag

However the catch was that till after Vijawada there were no specific lanes for fastag so you had to wait behind cars paying cash, the only advantage being it was cashless.
Old 31st May 2018, 22:27   #2678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
My fastag pasted under the Garware windshield film did not work from day 1. Every time the handheld scanner was required. It too detected after 2-3 attempts,sometimes from inside the car. The car is XUV 500 btw. Planning to cut the sunfilm and order a new tag. Its an ICICI tag.
IMHO, sunfilms cannot obstruct the RF signals. My Accent had the Fastag paster over the Icecool sunfilm and never had any issues.
Maybe an issue withe the tag itself?
nerd1200 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 16:21   #2679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
I have my tag stuck in precisely the spot that you are considering. It works just fine. In fact, I would even say that it works better than the earlier "behind the mirror " spot possibly due to most readers being roof mounted.
OK. Infact as suggested by many members here, I was thinking to stick the tag on a plastic film, and paste to this location. Then, in case any issue happens, move around to other suitable location. But I am not sure about legal implications as FASTag is designed to be tamper proof so as to prevent removal and reuse. So, in a way, this method is bypassing the primary intent.
Quote:
Use some spirit -the residual adhesive will come off easily.
I usually have isopropyl alcohol handy for such situations. But this time none was left. The damn thing evaporates very fast and probably I hadn't tightened the cap sufficiently last time. So, instead, I had to use Nail polish remover, which wasn't that effective on tag's strong adhesive.
Quote:
the black dots are called frits.
Thanks for clarifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
the security manning dedicated FASTag lanes at toll booths will not be able to see the tag clearly at the location they expect it to be seen, and consequently they will have to come close enough to make sure you have that tag.... toll booth attendants and easier for them to use the hand-held scanner.
This is a good info, will keep in mind while deciding the tag location.
Old 1st June 2018, 18:52   #2680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navneet View Post
Could you resolve this issue? Yesterday I got charged twice at two tolls during a drive from Delhi to Chandigarh. What procedure did you follow to get the payment reversed? I too have PayTM FASTag. Thanks.
I have exactly the same problem, I travelled from Hubli to Bangalore on May 27th, and my paytm wallet was debited again on 29th for the same transactions . How do i get the amount refunded. Any ideas ? Paytm customer care is not familiar with the refund process.
Old 1st June 2018, 22:28   #2681
BHPian

Guys, if you have problems in Paytm fastag, raise a ticket in the Paytm app via 24×7 help option. You will get a ticket number and then call them persistently for a week. You will get refund after a week or 15 days. I got my cash back after 15 or 20 days. This cash back is added to the reserved amount in fastag not Paytm wallet.
Attached Thumbnails
FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-img_20180601_223401.jpg  

Last edited by _chikku : 1st June 2018 at 22:36.
Old 4th June 2018, 14:06   #2682
BHPian

It was quite surprising to know that both the tolls, on the Chennai to Pondicherry highway don't have Fasttag. The attendant said "nobody uses it, only cash!" Then I forced him to take my debit card

Seems like the corporations that have constructed the roads don't want to share the profits
qr20de is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2018, 14:13   #2683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qr20de View Post
Seems like the corporations that have constructed the roads don't want to share the profits
Any automation in India, has invariably led to more accountability. And once that sets in, age old practices like fudging accounts etc. cannot be done easily. No fudged accounts, no slush funds hence no money to be siphoned off to shady characters.
Old 4th June 2018, 15:01   #2684
BHPian

Quote:
Now I have a query. Will it be OK to install new FASTag above the dashcam (on the shaded area shown in below image) ? I want to utilize the otherwise unused space.

My concern : As per my understanding, this dotted shading (sun-block) is made of ceramic material. Will it obstruct the RFID function of FASTag and create issues while detection at toll booths ?

Attachment 1765716
1. The shaded area is a No-No. The RFID antennas may not work properly leading to issues at scanners at booths.

2. It is fine to paste it on either side of the windshield - contrary to Fastag advice - as I have tried it and it works fine as long as it is on the windshield. I have it on my Endeavour at top right on driver's side and I have figured that even the handheld scanners find it convenient as they are normally standing on the driver's side.

Recently I did a long trip with 16 Fastag booths (both gantry mounted scanners and handheld scanners) and I had no issue at any.

By the way I also have a A 119 dashcam mounted exactly in the center. Just like yours.

Hope this helps.
nareshtrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2018, 00:11   #2685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
1. The shaded area is a No-No. The RFID antennas may not work properly leading to issues at scanners at booths.
Thanks for the feedback. I am still in two minds for deciding new location of FASTag. If you have any info, guide me on the following as well :
Quote:
I was thinking to stick the tag on a plastic film, and paste to this location. Then, in case any issue happens, move around to other suitable location. But I am not sure about legal implications as FASTag is designed to be tamper proof so as to prevent removal and reuse. So, in a way, this method is bypassing the primary intent.
If this plastic film option is a go, then I can try out both the locations.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks