Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2018, 15:14   #2731
BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Some tags (ICICI's latest ones) has this Logo as part of the RFID itself that the letters F-A-S-T-A-G make up the RFID chip.

I have been using the ICICI Fastag on my Thar, and recently I needed a new tag.

I had replaced the Thar's mirror with a prismatic TUV3OO mirror which needs the mirror mounting clamp to be stuck on the windshield, and the old Fastag had to be removed.
Used the 'Help Desk' option on my ICICI Fastag account webpage to request for a replacement.
Request raised on the 12th of June and received a reply on the 13th June saying that the new tag would be delivered in 7 to 8 working days. Having not received the tag by 24th June, I corresponded with them on the same page, requesting a status update. Yesterday evening I received the new Fastag via courier, and the tag was issued from a Chennai branch, which was dispatched yesterday morning. So much for those 7 to 8 working days.

The new tag is completely different from the older version and I had to make a call to the ICICI Fastag customer care number to get a confirmation that the new tag has the RFID on the 'FASTAG' lettering.

Couple of photos of the new tag are below.

The 'Help Desk' page
FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-icici-fastag-1.jpg

The back of the tag
FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-2-icici-fastag-2.jpg

The front of the tag. The black spot encircled in red could be the chip.
FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-4-icici-fastag-4.jpg
CAPTAIN REX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2018, 15:38   #2732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN REX View Post
I have been using the ICICI Fastag on my Thar, and recently I needed a new tag.

Request raised on the 12th of June and received a reply on the 13th June saying that the new tag would be delivered in 7 to 8 working days. Having not received the tag by 24th June...
Even I had to replace my Tag as I had to change the windshield due to a crack.
Tried pasting the same tag on the new windshield but it would not work.

I visited a POS terminal here in Bangalore, and they issued it on the spot against a fee of Rs 200/- . Whatever balance on the a/c was transferred to the new tag. i.e. Account remains the same.
Fillmore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2018, 16:15   #2733
BHPian

Yesterday I used Fastag first time. Worked perfectly at all the tolls between Bengaluru and Chennai.

Fastag was an Axis Bank issued one, procured by the dealer (Advaith Hyundai, Bengaluru) for my company leased New Verna. So I was a little worried whether it would work since I hadn't submitted any KYC documents.

Axis Bank has a really weird and pathetic website. Even trainee engineers can write better software than this:. They also charged rs 15 + GST as "convenience fee" for recharging for Fastag. Do other banks also charge this? If yes, government should discourage this; Goes against promotion of a cash-less economy.

Also do all the toll-booths now accept Fastag? Or only the marked ones? Only at one place did I see a board that said all the booths are Fastag activated.
DigitalOne is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2018, 17:56   #2734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
Yesterday I used Fastag first time. Worked perfectly at all the tolls between Bengaluru and Chennai.
Last weekend drove between BLR > HYD and back. One observation is that the scanners on all the Toll Booths are outright pathetic.

For the scanner to detect the tag
1. You have to drive at dead slow speed almost crawling on 1st Gear
2. The scanner detects the tag when the bonnet of your car is literally about 30 centimeters away from the boom barrier. ( most of them )
3. At times it does not detect even if you do the above then you need to reverse and retry the crawl speed drive towards the barrier

Very few have the scanner couple of feet away from the boom barrier.
Old 2nd July 2018, 12:04   #2735
BHPian

Guys I have a query regarding the use of Fastag.
Can I use one fastag for multiple cars ? Is that even possible ?
Old 2nd July 2018, 12:06   #2736
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepjaju View Post
Guys I have a query regarding the use of Fastag.
Can I use one fastag for multiple cars ? Is that even possible ?
For sure you cannot do that but, yes you can have 2 fastags under one account for ease of use
Old 2nd July 2018, 12:12   #2737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
For sure you cannot do that but, yes you can have 2 fastags under one account for ease of use
Thanks. But what if I sell my car can I atleast update my fastag to the new car ?
Old 2nd July 2018, 12:14   #2738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepjaju View Post
Thanks. But what if I sell my car can I atleast update my fastag to the new car ?
Yes, you can do that. Pls go through this thread in detail. There are a few who have done that. The procedure may vary marginally from service provider to service provider.
pareshraheja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2018, 10:55   #2739
BHPian

Used my PayTM Fasttag on a round trip from Bangalore to Coimbatore between 5-8 July and was pleased to see that the Fasttag worked almost seamlessly at all toll plazas. On the onward leg, being a weekday, there was very less traffic so I probably did not save more than 5-10 mins due to the existence of Fasttag but the luxury of just driving through the toll plazas without having to stop, lower the window, exchange change and then start is worth it. All plazas had dedicated lanes and these were manned - security would let the vehicle in only when he sights the tag.

On the return, similar seamless experience except at Krishnagiri where the Fasttag lane was also very slow. Moved at almost same pace as other lanes. Not sure why, perhaps an issue with the tag at an earlier vehicle as it was smooth for my car and the couple of ones ahead of us. Again, all tolls had manned lanes for Fasttag and the security was not allowing anyone without Fasttag to enter. At Attibele, however, we did have to wait for a couple of mins to get into this lane as there was usual weekend mayhem with total lane indiscipline and some traffic even before the lanes started. All in all, would have saved 10-15 mins due to the Fasttag. Can imagine this being much higher over long weekends where there's massive pile-up at the tolls

All in all, satisfied and Fasttag is worth it. Hope there's wider acceptance and there is more than 1 dedicated lane in every toll plaza to further encourage users to use this and make travel faster.

Last edited by aroonanand : 9th July 2018 at 10:56. Reason: added specifics
Old 9th July 2018, 12:42   #2740
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Recent Fastag experience:
Crossed the BIAL airport toll first time (after it was re-introduced recently) and was heading towards Chikballapur (Hyderabad direction). Stuck to right most lane that does not have a toll booth. This lane eventually goes beside the airport ramp heading straight towards the next toll plaza near the BIAL trumpet junction. At the next toll plaza, stuck to right most lane as it is the dedicated Fastag lane and the tag worked just fine when we stopped near the toll booth.

On the return journey (same day), again stuck to right most lane as it is the dedicated lane for Fastag. Saw a truck just pass the booth ahead without any trouble, so entered next after the security guard waved us in. The first light inside the lane remained red indicating tag wasn't detected and there is an automatic boom barrier midway in the lane which did not open. The security guard came over and asked us to back the car up to the entrance where he was stationed and then try again. After a couple of attempts, the first light turned green but boom barrier refused to open
The guard now asked us to use the opening to the left of the boom barrier that would take us to the next lane. There, the attendant at the booth entered something on the computer and the display showed "Valid Tag" and we moved on.

Some questions on the Devanahalli toll plazas:
1.For vehicles heading in the Hyderabad direction, should they always stick to the right most lane at the airport toll plaza ? In other words, of the multiple lanes there, just one lane is for vehicles heading towards Hyderabad ?
2.Are multiple/all lanes Fastag enabled at the airport toll plaza ?
3.Are multiple/all lanes Fastag enabled at the trumpet junction toll plaza ?

Last edited by NPV : 9th July 2018 at 12:46.
Old 9th July 2018, 16:00   #2741
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Recent Fastag experience:

1.For vehicles heading in the Hyderabad direction, should they always stick to the right most lane at the airport toll plaza ? In other words, of the multiple lanes there, just one lane is for vehicles heading towards Hyderabad ?
Had traveled 2 weeks back to Banglore and back.

As you pointed out there is only one single tag exit for Hyderabad bound travelers.
In fact I had to reverse my car into the fast tag right most lane.
They have a hand held device if the person does not come out of his cabin and waves you to go then lucky its not charged it has happened twice to me.
Old 9th July 2018, 17:26   #2742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
Had traveled 2 weeks back to Banglore and back.

As you pointed out there is only one single tag exit for Hyderabad bound travelers.

In fact I had to reverse my car into the fast tag right most lane.

They have a hand held device if the person does not come out of his cabin and waves you to go then lucky its not charged it has happened twice to me.
If we are talking about the Toll Plaza meant for cars coming from Bangalore City and going to Devanahalli (not the Toll Plaza meant for cars coming from Bangalore Airport and going to Devanahalli), the rightmost lane is FasTag enabled. The next 2 lanes on it's left have hybrid boards marked on the glass of the toll booths for those lanes which become visible only when you are very close to them. This said, I have always stick to rightmost lane.

As mentioned earlier, no comments on other toll booths at the Plaza or the other Plaza connecting the Airport.
Old 9th July 2018, 17:41   #2743
Distinguished - BHPian

I had put up a detailed post about the arrangement at the KIAL Plaza few weeks back with Dashcam videos:

Quote:

Dedicated FASTag lane when traveling towards Airport from Bangalore

There is a dedicated FASTag lane for onward (towards Airport from Bangalore) and here is how you indentify that :
And last weekend, I drove to Ananthapur and since I knew there are signages put up right at the Signal before toll asking vehicles heading for Hyderabad to stick to the right, I did that and easily bypassed the toll meant for Airport and reached the next one meant for Hyderabad.
Old 9th July 2018, 18:32   #2744
BHPian

Quote:
easily bypassed the toll meant for Airport and reached the next one meant for Hyderabad.
The Hyederabad bound FastTag lane accepts both cash and the card. The cashier by default stick his hand out ask for Cash. I have seen this twice in broad daylight. The whole purpose is defeated. BTW Bangalore bound traffic on the same toll gets a barricaded stoppage before entering into the FastTag lane.
Old 9th July 2018, 19:04   #2745
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_gt View Post
The Hyederabad bound FastTag lane accepts both cash and the card.
Yes I noticed this on the weekend too. No manning and anyone can just enter irrespective of cash or FAStag. I was referring to the booth before this meant for KIAL which has a dedicated lane as well as few hybrid lanes.

Most Viewed