Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2018, 17:33   #2791
BHPian

FastTag works seamlessly on the highway from Jodhpur to Ahmedabad. Except two tolls run by the state nearing Pali sectors all others till Ahmedabad work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Applied for FASTag for my car through ICICI bank since I already have an active account there and use it more than the rest. All paperwork etc done, I received the tag in 2 working days. Just picked the tag today and will fix it tomorrow.

Hope to have cashless drives hereon. I am not expecting 'fast' progress through toll gates but the main motto is to go cashless (I know many will say use PayTM etc for going cashless rather than the FASTag but I'll prefer this over PayTM). In my recent two trips to Vijayawada, the FASTag lanes were working as required and I could see many users (including FASTag'ed trucks going through) whereas I was waiting in the queue.
There is a paytm FastTag as well.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd August 2018 at 18:56. Reason: Typo + back to back posts merged.
Old 5th August 2018, 11:01   #2792
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Applied for FASTag for my car through ICICI bank since I already have an active account there and use it more than the rest. All paperwork etc done, I received the tag in 2 working days. Just picked the tag today and will fix it tomorrow.
After unsuccessfully trying to get a FASTag twice from the a toll booth on the outskirts of Pune on the Pune - BLR hwy, I was happy to know the process could be completed online. I proceeded to apply and they have created my account and tag #. Just waiting for the tag now.

But I notice that these new tags are bar-coded and do not seem to be RFID at least by the looks. Can you confirm the presence of a chip? I've seen booth operators walking with what seem to be bar-code scanners in the FASTag lane.
Old 5th August 2018, 11:08   #2793
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
But I notice that these new tags are bar-coded and do not seem to be RFID at least by the looks. Can you confirm the presence of a chip? I've seen booth operators walking with what seem to be bar-code scanners in the FASTag lane.
Please post a pic of the FASTag from the non bar coded side. As far as FASTag is concerned, all tags issued by any financial institution is RFID/Chip based.

However, latest ones from many banks have the RFID as part of the FASTag logo itself.

Regarding the scanners, they indeed scan the RFID and not the bar code. Only once they scanned the bar code (inside the car) when it failed to recognise the tag at a booth near Coimbatore for which they used the same device and brought it very close to the bar code.

The handheld scanners can easily read your RFID if held at a distance of 5 feet and at an angle too.

EDIT:In Anurag's pic posted earlier, you can see the Black spot in the front side of the tag (non bar coded side). That is the RFID:

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-icici-fastag.jpg

And now check this tag issued by ICICI that has RFID as part of FASTag lettering itself:

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-20180315-18.38.47.jpg

I had mentioned about this few months back here (FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!).

Last edited by paragsachania : 5th August 2018 at 11:18.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 14:18   #2794
BHPian

The Fastag which came as part of my new Vehicle Purchase has finally been activated by my Tata Dealer. It took a cool 2 months for them to do this, with a string of visits, calls and a final complaint on the Tata Motors Service app which did the trick.

The reasons given were various like Paytm Tieup with Tata is not complete, Paytm Fastag Website for dealer is down, Dealer account on Paytm Fastag has not been created(but why do they need one?) and activation page on Paytm Fastag Dealer page is giving errors on entering the OTP.

I am able to finally see the Fastag section in my Paytm Fastag, but the vehicle details still shows the Chassis Number. Could this be an issue going forward?
Old 7th August 2018, 00:54   #2795
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Please post a pic of the FASTag from the non bar coded side. As far as FASTag is concerned, all tags issued by any financial institution is RFID/Chip based.

EDIT:In Anurag's pic posted earlier, you can see the Black spot in the front side of the tag (non bar coded side). That is the RFID: And now check this tag issued by ICICI that has RFID as part of FASTag lettering itself:
Thanks for the info and clarifications Parag. I'll wait for the tag to arrive and share photos. Though I must admit I was a little confused when the toll booth staff used hand held scanners. The tags I had experienced in the US were read by remote readers whilst passing through the booth & without having to stop the vehicle.
Old 7th August 2018, 06:12   #2796
BHPian

Friends, I recently procured FASTag for my vehicle and went through the opening post to learn how to use it (did not have patience to go through all posts ).

Recently I was at the Ketkawale Toll Naka, Pune and wanted to see if it works properly. I entered the FASTag lane and ensured that I did not tailgate the car in front and wanted to check if the barrier opens up. It did not. I asked the Toll booth assistant and he said that FASTag reader is active but there may be issue in reading your tag and tag may not be active. I ended up paying in cash. I checked the ICICI account and it is active.

Query - Before checking the tag installation, I wanted to know from fellow bhpians if FASTag is functional at Ketkawale toll naka.
Old 7th August 2018, 06:23   #2797
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The tags I had experienced in the US were read by remote readers whilst passing through the booth & without having to stop the vehicle.
They are seamless here in India too but the problem is poor implementation. Many booths allow you to pass without stopping while many use hand held scanners as an alternate.

The video posted below will give you an idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
Query - Before checking the tag installation, I wanted to know from fellow bhpians if FASTag is functional at Ketkawale toll naka.
By Ketkawle you actually meant Khedshivpur Toll on the Pune-Satara road ? If yes, then I must say that the toll is equipped with FASTag and that works.

Regarding issues with FASTag, they seem to be never ending. During our return drive from Pune a week before, at one of the booths in Karnataka they said my Tag is blacklisted (usually for low balance) and made me pay cash. I was surprised as I had enough balance only to get an SMS later that the same amount was also deducted by FASTag .

In this video, Khedshivpur booth is seen around 1:24:

Last edited by paragsachania : 7th August 2018 at 06:28.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 07:59   #2798
BHPian

Quote:

By Ketkawle you actually meant Khedshivpur Toll on the Pune-Satara road ? If yes, then I must say that the toll is equipped with FASTag and that works.

In this video, Khedshivpur booth is seen around 1:24:
Yes. I meant the KhedShivpur Toll Naka. Thanks for the video. I will check my installation and try again.
Old 7th August 2018, 17:28   #2799
Distinguished - BHPian

The FT was delivered today. This one has an oh-so-tiny (about 1 to 1.5 sq mm) little bump in the middle of the tag which I think is the RFID chip.

I had to call the ICICI helpline for my account # which is not mentioned on the documentation. Once I had that info I proceeded to create an account & top it up using my CC. The tag will be installed this week.

A near 3 year wait (courtesy the idiots at the Khed-Shivapur toll booth who failed to provide the tag despite documents being provided TWICE) has finally come to an end.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2018, 18:17   #2800
BHPian

I applied for payTM fastag, received the SMS to upload the RC copy. When I tried to: you know what, after all these years, still the same bloody error -- "Registration failed try again later" flashing.
With someone mentioning the upload worked after a delay, I waited for a day and two days - still the same error.
That is one shoddy piece of code still running.
I wonder after all those calls to help desk from almost every single person who had applied online, don't they have anyone to "think" and fix this irritating bug?

PS: As suggested by heldesk sent an email with RC copy to fastag@paytm.com. Now just waiting for any status update.
Old 8th August 2018, 18:22   #2801
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamswift View Post
I applied for payTM fastag, received the SMS to upload the RC copy. When I tried to: you know what, after all these years, still the same bloody error -- "Registration failed try again later" flashing. That is one shoddy piece of code still running.
Don't waste your time, just apply at ICICI Bank. Works like a charm. I applied on Fri 3rd and got my tag on the 7th.

HDFC is also an option. Unless of course you are keen on only Paytm.
Old 8th August 2018, 18:33   #2802
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamswift View Post
I applied for payTM fastag, received the SMS to upload the RC copy. When I tried to: you know what, after all these years, still the same bloody error -- "Registration failed try again later" flashing.
Fully agree with what R2D2 sir says. I applied with ICICI and got the tag in 2 working days. Straightforward process and fast in processing speed. Gave a Xerox copy of Aadhar and Car's RC alongwith the NEFT payment of ₹600.

Quote:
Don't waste your time, just apply at ICICI Bank.
+1.
Old 8th August 2018, 18:44   #2803
BHPian

Quote:
Regarding issues with FASTag, they seem to be never ending. During our return drive from Pune a week before, at one of the booths in Karnataka they said my Tag is blacklisted (usually for low balance) and made me pay cash. I was surprised as I had enough balance only to get an SMS later that the same amount was also deducted by FASTag .
So what do you do in such cases? How much time does it takes for resolution?
Maybe someday law of averages will make things even.
Old 8th August 2018, 19:09   #2804
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, a FYI. If any of you have a Digilocker account with the relevant PDFs you can upload them in lieu of scan jpgs. I uploaded my digitally signed RC and DL PDFs as proof. They were accepted and my account # & FT # assigned within minutes. Quick work!!

I'd advise going in for ICICI and HDFC tags instead of Paytm's. Having done business with both those well established Banks for ~2 decades I somehow trust them more than the Johnny-come-lately Paytm with whom I also have an account.
Old 8th August 2018, 19:10   #2805
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Did any message flash on the display outside the toll booth saying tag is blacklisted ?

If tag is really blacklisted, the portal will also show the status as "Blacklisted", so you can quickly log in to the site and check. Of course, you will lose valuable time on the drive if you did it right there

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks