Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2018, 20:15   #3001
BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
+1
Recently I have done a trip on Bangalore-Pune highway. Fastag implementation has been horrible.
Bangalore - Pune Highway indeed is one of most horrible fastag implemented highway. On my recent trip to Mahabaleshwar, 90% of the time either I had to pay through cash with the answer like 'System not working', 'Internet is down' blah blah or got stuck behind sloth speed trucks who probably chit chat with the toll staff or maybe negotiating for the bribe to pass through hefty toll.

On the other hand, Bengaluru - Hyderabad highway and Bengaluru - Mangaluru highways have most efficiently implemented the Fastag.
ThilakNex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 13:37   #3002
Senior - BHPian

This: http://morth.gov.in/showfile.asp?lid=3415 - seems to make Fastags mandatory for issuance and renewals of Fitness Certificates for transport vehicles. Let us be prepared for gradual increase in traffic through Fastag lanes.
Old 22nd November 2018, 13:50   #3003
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
This: http://morth.gov.in/showfile.asp?lid=3415 - seems to make Fastags mandatory for issuance and renewals of Fitness Certificates for transport vehicles. Let us be prepared for gradual increase in traffic through Fastag lanes.
Now that they have made fastag mandatory for new cars and then this one, I am not sure which great mind has not yet made two fastag lanes mandatory in every toll. And perhaps, a separate Fastag lane for trucks or commercial vehicles. This will be a good step to ensure higher amount of cashless transactions in toll booths. I hope they give a serious thought about this and push towards more Fastag exclusive lanes.
Old 22nd November 2018, 17:45   #3004
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Now that they have made fastag mandatory for new cars and then this one, I am not sure which great mind has not yet made two fastag lanes mandatory in every toll. And perhaps, a separate Fastag lane for trucks or commercial vehicles. This will be a good step to ensure higher amount of cashless transactions in toll booths. I hope they give a serious thought about this and push towards more Fastag exclusive lanes.
Not to worry. In the past few months, i have seen many new cars take the non-Fastag lane or are forced out of the Fastag lane because of invalid tags because of low balance. This seems to infer that not many people want to be technologically enabled and many have spoken out against fear of auto debits and possible frauds.
Old 22nd November 2018, 21:46   #3005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthacharya View Post
Not to worry. In the past few months, i have seen many new cars take the non-Fastag lane or are forced out of the Fastag lane because of invalid tags because of low balance. This seems to infer that not many people want to be technologically enabled and many have spoken out against fear of auto debits and possible frauds.
I have been forced to reverse out of the FastTag lane not because of low balance, but because the stupid reader was not able to scan the tag. This is despite reversing and coming forward at dead slow speed.

You have to go to the cash lane , then they ask you to turn at the side after the cash lane and stop. Then a guy comes with a manual hand held scanner and scans , and viola the tag is fine.
Old 22nd November 2018, 23:58   #3006
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I hope they give a serious thought about this and push towards more Fastag exclusive lanes.
On my recent trip on Delhi-Kalka Highway, I was pleasantly surprised to find few tolls, where all lanes have now been made FASTag enabled. Earlier it was just one dedicated lane. I don't remember the names of the tolls now, but the one near Murthal was one of them.

It seems in future more lanes would be FASTag enabled, though progress remains slow.

Last edited by AutoNoob : 23rd November 2018 at 00:00.
Old 23rd November 2018, 07:54   #3007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
On my recent trip on Delhi-Kalka Highway, I was pleasantly surprised to find few tolls, where all lanes have now been made FASTag enabled. Earlier it was just one dedicated lane. I don't remember the names of the tolls now, but the one near Murthal was one of them.

It seems in future more lanes would be FASTag enabled, though progress remains slow.
In September, Nitin Gadkari had said that all lanes would have FASTTag in four months.

https://auto.ndtv.com/news/all-toll-...adkari-1912385
Old 23rd November 2018, 08:05   #3008
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suku_patel_22 View Post
In September, Nitin Gadkari had said that all lanes would have FASTTag in four months.
Definitely. We have been now waiting since Nov 2017 with the same promise and nothing really has changed.

Instead of a commitment like this (4 months), they should say we will get back to you. All of us here will get it clearly that nothing will happen. We are tired of these promises really.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 09:27   #3009
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now that they have made fastag mandatory for new cars and then this one
The Fastag in new cars has become just another "formality", part of a checklist at the time of buying a car

I know of instances where the dealership does not provide details of the tag for the customer to register the account and top up with money to use the tag at tolls. Despite follow ups, the dealership finds some excuse to not give this simple piece of information to the customer (and the customer does not take them to task).

In some other instances, the customer (for their own personal reasons) has a preference for one of the providers and doesn't wish to use the provider whose tag was given by the dealer! I mean why even take it to that stage ? Why not tell the dealer about this and make arrangements themselves ?

Given this, one can imagine how long it is actually going to take before a large majority of private vehicles start using Fastag.

Add to this, despite several announcements, how long will it actually take to make all lanes capable of accepting FasTag ? The deadlock continues.

Last edited by NPV : 23rd November 2018 at 09:29.
Old 23rd November 2018, 11:13   #3010
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Definitely. We have been now waiting since Nov 2017 with the same promise and nothing really has changed.
I have a feeling this project has proceeded quite well in areas south of Bangalore (TN, mainly). Can't talk about north side though.
Old 23rd November 2018, 11:25   #3011
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have a feeling this project has proceeded quite well in areas south of Bangalore (TN, mainly). Can't talk about north side though.
It has done well in quite a places around West and Central India as well. I say this as I took up quite a few drives to Pune and then Nagpur in the last 6 months.

However, the point in question is about these commitments on the timelines that is irking. The Deadline was always Oct 2017 or Nov 2017 If I recollect. After this, the respective authority has made innumerable such promises on nationwide implementation and with different dates during each communication. Hence the rant.

You will be surprised that even a booth like this has FASTag on all lanes that I passed between Hyderabad and Nagpur:

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-03-fastag-near-hyderabd.jpg

Last edited by paragsachania : 23rd November 2018 at 11:33.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 12:20   #3012
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post

I am a frequent traveler on NH44 (erstwhile NH1), primarily my route remains New Delhi to Pathankot and I found Fastag very convenient and easy to use.

All the tolls on this stretch are very well quipped with dedicated FASTag lanes. Each toll let you pass-by with such a ease !! Most importantly you save lot of time not getting stuck in long queues. Surprisingly, I haven't encountered any single FASTag lane with RFID sensor not working. They are all very well maintained.
Old 27th November 2018, 09:59   #3013
BHPian

Hi All, Considering procuring a Fastag for my vehicle. Reviewed the thread to understand the concept(s), and pros and cons of Service Providers. Summarizing it for easy reference:

1. ICICI
Pros:
Widest network base
Slightly quicker issue time
Cons:
Recharge thru UPI/Other banks chargeable or problematic.
Forced to become ICICI bank customer for easy use

2. AXIS
Pros:
Relatively quicker issue time
Easy recharge options
Cons:
Complaints on Tag quality

3. Equitas
Pros:
Ease on recharge
Online registration option
Cons:
Unsure about service in Hyderabad

4. SBI
Pros:
3 year Tag guarantee
Online registration
Cons:
Government run bank - all associated cons.

5. HDFC
Pros:
Easy to register
Cons:
Easy to register - Too easy sometimes.

Overall Cons for all service providers: Post Issue Customer Care has been outsourced to third parties, with HDFC rating the worst. Other seem to be at equal level.

Due to this my question is only one - the Tag issued by any bank will work at all tools as it is NPCI backed and issued? My guess is yes but want to reconfirm.

Based on this, would take a call on the bank - but leaning to SBI as am an existing customer, so should ideally be easier with the KYC aspect. Please advise.
Old 27th November 2018, 11:07   #3014
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalEagle View Post
Due to this my question is only one - the Tag issued by any bank will work at all tools as it is NPCI backed and issued? My guess is yes but want to reconfirm.
Yes, irrespective of the bank, Fastag will work in all tolls under NHAI.
And you can find the list of banks that issue Fastag here, http://www.fastag.org/
Old 27th November 2018, 11:29   #3015
BHPian

ICICI Bank's Fastag has removed the NEFT option to recharge the tag. It used to be convenient because NEFT was the only option that did not incur extra charges for recharging. All other options (Netbanking, debit card, credit card etc.) had extra charges, and now they removed the NEFT option.

I spoke with ICICI Fastag customer service and they had no idea why this has been done, just that kit has been done.

Cheers

Most Viewed