Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2019, 16:44   #3331
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Traveled to a place just beyond the Bangalore airport today, so had 2 experiences at the Devanhalli toll (Hyderabad/Trumpet exchange side):

Onward:
Stuck to the right most ("Exclusive" Fastag) lane that had 2 other cars in front both of who paid cash! Attendant inside the booth looked at me in shock when I said Fastag The person had to come out and use the scanner (scanner actually touched the windshield glass area right on top of the RFID tag, not sure if that was necessary though as I've seen many scanners that can do the job from a distance!)

Return:
Again used the rightmost exclusive Fastag lane that was manned by a guard who had placed a plastic cone and moved it to let my car in. Drove very slowly, first sensor did not detect and then at the boom barrier also nothing happened, so I exited to the adjacent lane and the attendant punched in something on the computer and the barrier opened up.

Got an SMS message for the onward toll but not the return as yet, hope there is no mess up.

Also, with effect from Apr 1 2019, the toll rates at Devanahalli have been revised from the earlier Rs.80 (single) and Rs.120 (return) to Rs.90 and Rs.130 respectively

Last edited by NPV : 17th April 2019 at 17:00.
Old 17th April 2019, 16:53   #3332
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Onward:Stuck to the right most ("Exclusive" Fastag) lane that had 2 other cars in front both of who paid cash! Attendant inside the booth looked at me in shock when I said Fastag The person had to come out and use the scanner (scanner actually touched the windshield glass area right on top of the RFID tag, not sure if that was necessary though as I've seen many scann
In fact this is one funny booth with FASTag. It works few times and doesn't on other occasions.

Regarding the scanner being held closer to the tag, that's again one of these many tricks these chaps try. I have had similar experiences and finally they even try to scan it from inside.

Although this video is from the KIAL booth (and not the one leading to HYD), you can still see how after 40 sec the operator tries in vain to scan the tag using the hand-held device multiple times, then I reverse and again come forward, he tries again and finally it is detected after he tries to scan from the inside!!!

If I were to write stories about such iffy behaviour of these tags, I wonder I can merge videos and make a movie out of it .

It is really sad to see such a pathetic implementation of simple technology that still makes FASTag a mixed bag full of experiences like these.

Last edited by paragsachania : 17th April 2019 at 16:57.
Old 24th April 2019, 09:14   #3333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
In months to come, I will expect them to completely remove the cashback and introduce "user fee" because it is hitting their revenues for the simple reason that their aim to automate and reduce workforce ironically resulted in increase in expenditure to have 2 more guards man the FASTag lanes all the times .

A classic example of super bad implementation called FASTag!!
Exactly, Start charging service charge of Rs 10 for cash payment, whole of india will start using FasTag in a months time. There is no need to give discount for FasTag.

I dont know why transport minster and his bureaucrats can think of this small thing. Again horrible implementation by govt of a good idea .
shamanth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2019, 09:24   #3334
BHPian

I had the unfortunate experience of paying cash and having toll amount deducted from my fast tag balance this morning. Is there a way that the fasttag deduction can be reversed?
Old 27th April 2019, 09:29   #3335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post
I had the unfortunate experience of paying cash and having toll amount deducted from my fast tag balance this morning. Is there a way that the fasttag deduction can be reversed?
Yes! Email to the their customer service department or some companies like PayTM have "need help?" link to raise a dispute for the same. You need to attach the toll receipt and they'll reverse the amount after few days.

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-20190427_092856.jpg
batish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2019, 10:28   #3336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Exactly, Start charging service charge of Rs 10 for cash payment, whole of india will start using FasTag in a months time. There is no need to give discount for FasTag.
Just curious. Why should a person who does not trust an idiotic tag and prefers to deal through cash be forced to pay extra? I do have better adjectives to describe this effed up tag and its implementation but given this a public forum I would like to limit my choice of words.

For me, this is just stupid tag that is another means of payment and is supposed to be a convenience and not a norm. I, for one, do not trust this crap tag and prefer to pay in cash. Dealing in cash helps me keep control of my spending and definitely helps avoid crap customer service of the tag providers.

I feel instead of penalizing a particular sect of people; cash paying ones to be precise, in this case the majority, the minority fastag holders should learn to accommodate cash paying folks and learn to wait for their turn to cross the toll gate.

Last edited by arunramaswamy : 27th April 2019 at 10:46.
Old 27th April 2019, 11:04   #3337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunramaswamy View Post

I feel instead of penalizing a particular sect of people; cash paying ones to be precise, in this case the majority, the minority fastag holders should learn to accommodate cash paying folks and learn to wait for their turn to cross the toll gate.
Why can't the cash paying folks who have 80% lanes for them leave out the 20% lanes for folks who trust the tag system and believe it to get better when the cash paying folks start following this simple rule?
ank.nsit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2019, 11:14   #3338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
Why can't the cash paying folks who have 80% lanes for them leave out the 20% lanes for folks who trust the tag system and believe it to get better when the cash paying folks start following this simple rule?
Because:

1) Cash payers pay the same toll as every other road users.
2) Cash payers pay the same Road tax as every other road users.
3) Cash payers pay the same tax on fuel as every other road users

So the cash payers have all the rights to use the entire 100% of the road, pretty much like the fastag users. I mean I cannot understand from where is this sense of entitlement coming from? Just because some people decided to contribute to the bottomline of these "digital payment" companies, is there a need for private roads for such users?

I am not against any fastag users. So humbly requesting not take my comments personally. But I am just wondering why should some people who choose a particular mode of payment be punished while others who have opted for other payment mode enjoy privileges?
Old 27th April 2019, 12:22   #3339
BHPian

Quote:
Because:

1) Cash payers pay the same toll as every other road users.
2) Cash payers pay the same Road tax as every other road users.
3) Cash payers pay the same tax on fuel as every other road users

So the cash payers have all the rights to use the entire 100% of the road, pretty much like the fastag users. I mean I cannot understand from where is this sense of entitlement coming from? Just because some people decided to contribute to the bottomline of these "digital payment" companies, is there a need for private roads for such users?

I am not against any fastag users. So humbly requesting not take my comments personally. But I am just wondering why should some people who choose a particular mode of payment be punished while others who have opted for other payment mode enjoy privileges?

Well this practice will force to get all commuters on Fastag which can resolve our waiting time on tolls.
Safari_Beast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2019, 12:37   #3340
BHPian

Quote:

Why is this a punishment? It is just a segregation of two types of payment methods.

Fast tag won't work in cash lane and cash won't work in fasttag lane.

Considering the percentage of cash users is more - hence 80% lanes for them.

I don't understand the concept of punishment n privilege in following the simple lane rules.
Old 27th April 2019, 13:25   #3341
BHPian

Quote:
Why is this a punishment? It is just a segregation of two types of payment methods.

Fast tag won't work in cash lane and cash won't work in fasttag lane.

Considering the percentage of cash users is more - hence 80% lanes for them.

I don't understand the concept of punishment n privilege in following the simple lane rules.
My response was for suggestions that there be surcharges or other cess' for cash payments, which makes no sense. I have no issues with people choosing their own mode of payment. Now implementation of separate lane for fastag users, I will leave it in the capable hands of competent authorities.
Old 29th April 2019, 00:38   #3342
BHPian

Quote:

Fast tag won't work in cash lane and cash won't work in fastag lane.
Sluggishly, they're making all lanes fastag enabled. From Delhi to Chandigarh all lanes have tag readers now. In coming years, hopefully all lanes throughout highways will have readers.
Old 29th April 2019, 10:47   #3343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My response was for suggestions that there be surcharges or other cess' for cash payments, which makes no sense. I have no issues with people choosing their own mode of payment. Now implementation of separate lane for fastag users, I will leave it in the capable hands of competent authorities.
I dont think you understood why govt started Fastag?

Fastag is a move to make all tolls as automated, so that no one need to stand in big queue to pay toll. Fastag is not for privileged it will become necessity in near future. Just like some bank charge you for using counter service, instead of using ATM or online banking, for using their manpower which they have to pay salary. Similarly when you pay cash, toll booths have to employee people and pay them salary. Now you say who is using privileged service, Fastag user or manual cash payer ?

Or dont know if you have seen how these tags work in Western countries. There are mostly no manual toll collection, even if they have, they would cost more than using tag. For people who don't have tag they get charged higher where automated camera takes picture and send bill to your home or in some European countries if you drive without smartag on highways you get fined for 100 Euros.

Fastag might not be great solution as its not very efficient, maybe something else will replace it. But slowly but surely cash payment will get replaced to automated in future.

If you think Fastag user are privileged, maybe govt think so, that is why govt is giving 2.5% cashback.

Last edited by shamanth : 29th April 2019 at 10:49.
shamanth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st May 2019, 11:35   #3344
BHPian

I ordered Fastag via ICICI Bank and have had no problems thus far. However, for my father in-law, I ordered the Fastag via the Paytm app and it appears he's been having some trouble getting to use it in Hyderabad while travelling on the ORR. I know he has the threshold amount of Rs. 150 in the Fastag wallet and a sufficient amount in his Paytm wallet... our understanding being that any toll charges would be deducted from the Paytm wallet. However, he was informed at one of the toll plazas that there wasnt sufficient balance to deduct charges from.

Has anybody using a Paytm Fastag faced a similar problem? If yes, how did you get it resolved?
Old 1st May 2019, 16:11   #3345
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnieshwartz View Post
Has anybody using a Paytm Fastag faced a similar problem? If yes, how did you get it resolved?
I once traveled with no balance in my PayTM wallet and yet the amount was deducted from the FASTag reserve. The amount in the reserve is now Rs 120 and even if I recharge my PayTM wallet, the reserve still remains 120. This is for emergency situations like this one.

In your case, since you already have the reserve and wallet with ample cash, it should be a problem with that toll scanner.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks