Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2019, 23:42   #3736
Team-BHP Support

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Thanks, I'll call up SBI Fastag support and follow whatever cancellation procedures they recommend.

@NPV: I never stuck the fastag on my windscreen (I don't do it for any stickers like parking tags etc. either). I laminated the sticker side of Fastag with clingfilm and it sits with the other tags in a dashboard cubbyhole. I insert the relevant one in the windshield ticket holder when needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I would suggest canceling the earlier one from SBI (I don't think it's mandatory to or a pre-requisite to cancel the old one to get one from another provider, but hopefully you will get the refund as well), removing the tag sticker from your windshield and destroying it and then pasting the new one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
FASTAG being a payment instrument just like a credit or debit card(in a minor way) and also a tracking instrument it is mandatory to cancel it officially to avoid misuse and disputes....

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 20th November 2019 at 23:43.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 23:49   #3737
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I applied for Fastag yesterday from HDFC bank.
Try with Equitas, account details reached next morning and tag on the 2nd day. I had to replace my windshield, the replacement tag reached next day.

Their cashback system was also fast. The app is also decent.

Currently have SBI for a year that came with my current car on purchase. The cashback isn't that fast. No problems with usage though. SBI's Fastag app is crap though.
Old 21st November 2019, 06:53   #3738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos636 View Post
can he now get a new fastag from ICICI/HDFC without closing the current replacement tag which is nowhere to be seen? Would this cause any problems or tag issues in the future because of the other account still being active/non suspended ?
Confirmed with ICICI fastag department that we need to close the previous fastag from SBI and then only apply for the new fastag from ICICI for the same car.
Old 21st November 2019, 09:34   #3739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Tried ICICI but the site isn't working, says technical snag try later so have applied for Paytm, it worked well and have placed an order.
I had also checked with a couple of friends who have been using the PayTM FASTag and they were quite happy with it. Not sure about customer service/support etc. One advantage is that you only need to have balance in your PayTM wallet and the amount will automatically get added to your Tag account or will be deducted directly from the wallet. There is no need to add money separately into the tag account (this could be good or bad depending on the situation)
pjbiju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 12:43   #3740
BHPian

If the vehicle is in somebody else name, should we buy the fastag only in that person's name or can I buy with my name? Since I am the user..
Old 21st November 2019, 12:52   #3741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanan.skr View Post
If the vehicle is in somebody else name, should we buy the fastag only in that person's name or can I buy with my name? Since I am the user..
Mine is on my father's name but i had given my documents such as Aadhar and Pan for Fastag Registration. But when you login your Fastag account, user name will be owner's name.
sandeepsc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 13:08   #3742
Team-BHP Support

Apparently fastag usage has a built-in scam. My colleague who has Fastag told me this. If you are returning back the same toll plaza within 24 hours, usually you can avail the return ticket option, which is cheaper. For example, if each way is ₹35, two way price could be ₹50.

However, if you use Fastag, it will deduct ₹35 both way even if you travel within 24 hours. So if you want to save money, you have to take the cash lane. However, when you take the cash lane, just because there is a fastag in the car, it is also deducting from the Fastag in addition to the cash he is paying. It is a bloody nightmare.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 13:09   #3743
BHPian

Do you guys face problems with Fastag at Bankapur toll? (between Haveri & Hubli)

By default, the tags are displayed as "Blacklisted" in all lanes at this toll and they ask you to pay cash. They will get a hand-held scanner, scan & still claim its blacklisted. I was adamant and they made me switch lanes and the tag worked magically.

Is this some scam to make people pay cash? Anyone has experienced this at this toll?
null is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 13:12   #3744
BHPian

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Apparently fastag usage has a built-in scam. My colleague who has Fastag told me this. If you are returning back the same toll plaza within 24 hours, usually you can avail the return ticket option, which is cheaper. For example, if each way is ₹35, two way price could be ₹50.

However, if you use Fastag, it will deduct ₹35 both way even if you travel within 24 hours. So if you want to save money, you have to take the cash lane. However, when you take the cash lane, just because there is a fastag in the car, it is also deducting from the Fastag in addition to the cash he is paying. It is a bloody nightmare.

This is not true for all tolls maintained by different infra companies. But its true for tolls maintained by L&T. For Eg. in Bangalore if you use electronic city elevated road and return within 24hrs you are charged appropriately for 24hr rates. However if you use L&T maintained tolls like pallikonda on Blore-Chennai highway or thoppur on Blore-Salem highway it charges full rate for onward as well as return journey even if you return back within 24hrs. This is a known issue ever since fastag started in this stretch.
kiran_cr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 13:38   #3745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I applied for Fastag yesterday from HDFC bank.
Most of the banks I guess have not really given any serious thought to integration of their fastag system with the rest of their banking IT infra. Hence these sort of issues. I had applied with them for my Polo but they delayed it so much that I got a second tag from Paytm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_cr View Post
However if you use L&T maintained tolls like pallikonda on Blore-Chennai highway or thoppur on Blore-Salem highway it charges full rate for onward as well as return journey even if you return back within 24hrs.
These are all tolls I take frequently. I have never faced this issue. The return trip's deduction has always, without exception, been Return toll (less) Single toll provided I return within the time limit.
binand is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 13:40   #3746
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The implementation of multi-journey toll fares itself isn't standard - at some tolls it is 2 journeys within 24 hours and at others it is 2 journeys before 12:00 midnight. My observation has been that Fastag deductions on my tag have been consistent with the toll plaza charges based on whatever multi journey scheme they follow. I had to dispute only one transaction so far when there was a double deduction (2 consecutive transactions few minutes apart) at the BIAL toll.

Last edited by NPV : 21st November 2019 at 13:42.
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 13:43   #3747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_cr View Post
This is not true for all tolls maintained by different infra companies. But its true for tolls maintained by L&T. For Eg. in Bangalore if you use electronic city elevated road and return within 24hrs you are charged appropriately for 24hr rates.
I think the electronic city toll booth has a cut off at midnight and not 24 hrs. So if you cross at say 8 PM and return post midnight you will charged the single fare twice.

Or is it 24 hrs if you use fastag?
Old 21st November 2019, 13:53   #3748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
if you use Fastag, it will deduct ₹35 both way even if you travel within 24 hours. So if you want to save money, you have to take the cash lane.
That's not true. First time you cross you cross it deducts single journey toll. When you cross on return, it deducts the difference. Further crossings within 24 hours, won't deduct anything.

Happened to cross Attibele multiple times in May this year and this is what happened.

Even on a recent trip to Trichy, return tolls were perfectly deducted. I can send you a screenshot if you are interested.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 13:55   #3749
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
That's not true. First time you cross you cross it deducts single journey toll. When you cross on return, it deducts the difference. Further crossings within 24 hours, won't deduct anything.
Other members have early confirmed that it depends on the contracting company. My colleague's experience is on NH66 in Udupi-Mangalore stretch.
Old 21st November 2019, 14:48   #3750
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Apparently fastag usage has a built-in scam.
Not exactly. It can happen only if you cross a lane which has a reader but it doesn't show and you end up paying. The message always comes after some time to actually know if money has been deducted. Thus you have paid even by cash as well as FasTag.

The 2 routes frequented by me have different toll system. On one route, charges are Rs.45-/ for one way and Rs.65/- for both ways if you return within 24 hours. On the other route, its Rs.55/- both ways whether you return within 24 hours or after 24 days.

This is with FasTag. And its the same with cash lane too.

The most frequented route had no FasTag working for last 2-3 weeks leading to chaos. While returning last Sunday, the money got deducted and I crossed the boom barrier. Just then the toll operator started shouting asking me to pay. I stopped the car and asked him why, he said I didn't pay. I told him to recheck and then tell me. All this took over 5 minutes and line was getting longer. And his tone was not good. Later I raised a complaint on pgportal as similar thing had happened last year where they hurled abuses. I had raised a complaint and they had apologized. Let's see what happens this time around.
BoneCollector is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed