Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2019, 10:25   #3886
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Posting a query on behalf of a colleague who stays within 10 km of a NHAI toll plaza:

1. Can he port his current smartcard based concessional local monthly pass to FASTag?
2. Once done, can he renew it online (via his FASTag provider) instead of having to visit the concessionaire monthly for a cash recharge, as he is being forced to do now?
Old 27th November 2019, 10:39   #3887
BANNED

We have taken Fastags for two of our cars, Civic with our son, and Amaze with our daughter-in-law. only my wife(s) Brio remains. Never goes our of town.
Old 27th November 2019, 10:39   #3888
Senior - BHPian

I just received my Paytm Fastag today. It was scheduled to be delivered on the 5th December, so it has come 8 days early. Ordered it on the 22nd so its 5 days flat. Pretty quick IMHO.
Pancham is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 11:59   #3889
UMe
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
I just received my Paytm Fastag today. It was scheduled to be delivered on the 5th December, so it has come 8 days early. Ordered it on the 22nd so its 5 days flat. Pretty quick IMHO.
I have ordered paytm fastag just yesterday. Your post has given me some hope of receiving the fastag before 4th Dec, as I need to pass through a toll on 4th Dec.
Let's hope that I get it delivered and activated before that. I don't want to wait for hours in a single queue for cash payment
Most of the airport cabs I observed are running around in Bangalore are still without fastag. Just imagine the situation and chaos at the toll booth post 1st Dec.
https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...w/72249518.cms
UMe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 12:31   #3890
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMe View Post
Just imagine the situation and chaos at the toll booth post 1st Dec.
https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...w/72249518.cms
I despair for this country and our jugaad 'last-minute-waiver-expected' mindset. There is simply no excuse to do this kind of brinkmanship. Even though ordinary people like me will be impacted, there should be no exemption shown to the taxi operator mafia.

Frankly, airport cabbies sometimes con unsuspecting passengers by charging higher tolls and/or diverting via the Begur Road. This will put a stop to this minority freely cheating visitors.

Last edited by itwasntme : 27th November 2019 at 12:56.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 13:28   #3891
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
the Fastag is for National Highways. So for your Mumbai entry/exits points (5 I guess) needs a separate MEP tag.
Thats correct. But, from Feb or Mar 2020 even these toll points will begin accepting Fastag. Eventually all tolls (NHAI, State tolls, etc.) will be Fastag enabled. This can be extended to Parking etc. also as Technology supports this. Recently I read that Hyderabad airport has enabled Fastag for parking payment. Its currently enabled for ICICI Fastag, but will eventually be bank independent.

https://www.livemint.com/news/india/...411495829.html
risga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 14:39   #3892
Senior - BHPian

As usual expected lack of co-ordination between governing bodies. There is confusion around giving fastag for free, non availability of fastag. Gadkari said 150 rupees security deposit will be borne by NHAI but I see that PAYTM is charging 250.

They should have followed a simple process. Every month half the number of non-fast tag lanes, so in around couple of months time people would have gradually moved over to fastag than sudden chaos on 1st Dec.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...le30091238.ece
Quote:
Admitting that FASTags are currently not being distributed free at counters opened near toll plazas, S.P. Somashekar, General Manager and Project Director of NHAI, said that measures are being taken to rectify this. “We have placed an order for 11,000 FASTags. We have received 3,000, which we will distribute from Wednesday onwards to motorists without charging the fee. Motorists will save ₹100, but will have to pay the security deposit and recharge amount by linking their bank accounts.”

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/72172802.cms
Quote:
FASTags are being given free of cost only where NHAI has established POS.
“NHAI will also bear the Rs 150 security deposit of your FASTag,” Gadkari said. “We only want to encourage people to adopt electronic tolling, so they don’t have to stop at toll plazas.”
recshenoy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 20:34   #3893
sbm
BHPian

Hello guys
My 2015 Baleno came with a RFID tag pasted on the left top corner of the windscreen. The Manual says that the tag has to be registered with a authorized agency for use in toll collection. Where can I get that tag registered to a fasttag account. Also if the tag would not work and I have to buy a new one, do I have to remove the original tag or leave it there.
Old 27th November 2019, 20:53   #3894
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm View Post
. Where can I get that tag registered to a fasttag account. I have to remove the original tag or leave it there.
Though the initial idea was to get factory fitted tags registered with banks, it doesn't work out that way.

So you will have to get new tag from any service provider of your choice.

Regarding old tag, it's better you remove it since few members had complained about it interfering with reading of proper tag
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 21:03   #3895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello guys
My 2015 Baleno came with a RFID tag pasted on the left top corner of the windscreen. The Manual says that the tag has to be registered with a authorized agency for use in toll collection. Where can I get that tag registered to a fasttag account. Also if the tag would not work and I have to buy a new one, do I have to remove the original tag or leave it there.
I found the service centers scanning this tag before service. I think they are using it for tracking the service history. Not sure if that needs to be removed. I am going to paste the Fast tag near to it. If it interferes with fastag, need to inform the service center and remove their tag. I did not find any such tag in Tiago though.
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 21:09   #3896
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw a news item that Fastag is being issued at many PoS in the cities. Any idea of such locations in Bangalore South ?
Old 27th November 2019, 21:21   #3897
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
I am going to paste the Fast tag near to it. If it interferes with fastag, need to inform the service center and remove their tag.
Don't paste your Fastag close to the factory fitted RFID sticker that comes with most cars (I think since 2011 when it was made mandatory) since it can interfere with the Fastag. Paste your Fastag close to the center or towards the driver side below the ceramic strip/frit on the windshield. In fact, do not paste the Fastag directly onto windshield without experimenting a bit with the position to confirm that it works - look up earlier posts to see how you can paste the Fastag onto a plastic sheet and then paste that sheet to windshield with cellophane tape so that you can move it when experimenting.

Last edited by NPV : 27th November 2019 at 21:23.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 22:30   #3898
sbm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Don't paste your Fastag close to the factory fitted RFID sticker that comes with most cars (I think since 2011 when it was made mandatory) since it can interfere with the Fastag. Paste your Fastag close to the center or towards the driver side below the ceramic strip/frit on the windshield. In fact, do not paste the Fastag directly onto windshield without experimenting a bit with the position to confirm that it works - look up earlier posts to see how you can paste the Fastag onto a plastic sheet and then paste that sheet to windshield with cellophane tape so that you can move it when experimenting.
I wonder how someone who doesn't have much idea about fastag and its proper placement would cope with this? Normal folks (those who are not auto geeks) could get the fastag issued from a provider but how would they place the tag at the correct position? They would be solely dependent upon the service provider for pasting the tag and if the service provider makes a mistake, they would only come to know about it when their tag will not get scanned at a toll and they would have to bear the inconvenience.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 27th November 2019 at 23:22. Reason: Corrected typos and punctuation. Please proof-read posts before submitting.
Old 28th November 2019, 06:19   #3899
BHPian

I have ordered for one on Paytm on 24 Nov. Got a notification that it will be delivered by 04 Dec. When I clicked on my Fastag account on Paytm, I was surprised to see 750 rupees of available balance. I am wondering as to how that is possible at all as I have not loaded or recharged my account.
Old 28th November 2019, 08:30   #3900
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I wonder how someone who doesn't have much idea about fastag and its proper placement would cope with this? Normal folks (those who are not auto geeks) could get the fastag issued from a provider but how would they place the tag at the correct position?
Short answer - by simply looking up on internet before pasting the tag arbitrarily

Search and ye shall find - Team BHP forum threads have a lot of first hand accounts from various members about how/where to paste the tags.

There is a Maruti Suzuki pdf document with guidelines on the ideal position for the Fastag, likewise there may be others from other manufacturers as well, though I'm not sure, nevertheless there are posts on the forum that cover many other cars and how the Fastag has been pasted on them.

Maruti Suzuki document for Fastag placement - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ml#post4324409 (FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!)

Last edited by NPV : 28th November 2019 at 08:33.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks