Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2019, 21:26   #4261
Senior - BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgupta View Post
I got my Fastag from ICICI. Pretty straight forward experience, went to their website applied and in 7 days the tag was in my hand. Yet to stick it and test though. They have an app to for easy recharge etc. hope things work in future too.
You can also top up your ICICI FASTag balance via UPI by making a payment to:

netc.(vehicle number)@icici

Example: netc.mh01ab1234@icici
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 22:47   #4262
BHPian

In most of my outstation drives i used to enjoy the exclusivity of the Fastag and zip across the toll both with less or no waiting.
But on this weekend drive from Bangalore to Hosur it was very troublesome as all the lanes were Jam packed with mixed type of vehicle both Fastag / non-fastag with some Fastag working/not working , causing lot of delay and long queues.
It looks like it will take more time to adapt , until then expect long delays.
Old 15th December 2019, 23:29   #4263
BHPian

I applied for the FASTag through Axis Bank website. The application was straightforward and simple. I just had to give my ID and address proof for which I typed in the Voter ID number. There was no requirement of uploading of the document. Paid Rs 200/- + GST.

The application was on on 28 Nov. On 29 Nov I received a SMS that the order for the FASTag was placed and would be shipped within 7 days. On 05 Dec received another SMS that the FASTag for vehicle no XXXXX was processed and would be despatched soon. On 11 Dec I received the AWB of Bluedart through SMS and received the FASTag on the same day. So, overall it took 13 days to receive the FASTag. Never followed it up at any stage of the process.

Created an account on etc(dot)axisbank(dot)co(dot)in and all was in order. Will try to load the wallet in the next few days.

Coming to the FASTag charges, during the application time I had noticed that Axis bank charged only Rs 200/- + GST. Since during the same time there was announcement that the tag issuing charges were waived till 30 Nov, I took that Axis Bank had also waived the issuance charge and the Rs 200/- was the security deposit. But after creating the FASTag account at Axis website after receiving the FASTag, I saw that the security deposit amount and Wallet balance were both Rs 0/-. This meant that Axis Bank has charged Rs 200/- as Tag issuing charges.

However, NPCI (National Payments Corporation of India) has mandated that FASTag issued by banks can charge maximum of Rs 100 for each tag. Now, is this not in violation of the NPCI mandate?

I have raised a ticket for the same through the Axis FASTag account and look forward to their response.
Old 16th December 2019, 11:06   #4264
Senior - BHPian

All this mandatory Fastag nonsense is now only a pain for regular users. why? Because now the dedicated lane is no longer being manned (atleast in NH45). Vikravandi did man them on the onward, but none on the return.

There are boards indicating which are the Fastag and which are the cash lanes. Almost all had 2 cash lanes. Yet the 'known it all' enter the Fastag lane and talk 'family history'.

All 12 tolls had working scanners that I breezed through in 1st-2nd gear. And this is in the worst Fastag compliant state in South India.

I now dread the upcoming weekend drive!
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 11:35   #4265
BHPian

Hi! I'm in a pickle right now as I haven't found a concrete answer to my query yet. Then realized this would be the best place to ask my question

We purchased a pre-owned Ertiga a couple of days back and plan to take it on a road trip on the coming Saturday. As it turns out, the car doesn't have a FASTag and unless the RC transfer doesn't happen, we cannot procure one. We thought of purchasing a FASTag on the first owner's name, but banks say it'll take 7-10 working days for it to arrive.

One person suggested buying a prepaid FASTag at the toll booth and using it for the trip, and then replacing it with a new one once we get it on our name. I had a few doubts regarding this:

1. Can a FASTag be procured at the toll just like that? What documents would be required?
2. Can it be recharged again, or is it a one-time thing?
3. Is there any validity on this?
4. I heard the mandatory implementation is extended until the 15th of January, 2020. Is it true?
5. Is the price already doubled if we opt to pay via cash?

Any light on this would be highly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 16th December 2019, 11:42   #4266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
All this mandatory Fastag nonsense is now only a pain for regular users.
This has become a big mess. At pallikonda and vaniyambadi the boards still say fastag lane is on the left but now the dedicated fastag lane has become a cash lane and the fastag lanes are on the right. Several trucks seem to have been taken by surprise. I also got stuck yesterday until a guard opened a barricade and allowed me cross over to the fastag side.

The one good thing however is that the Nemili toll seems to have upgraded their sensors. First time ever I didn't have to stop at the toll. The chennasamudram toll is as bad as ever though.
Old 16th December 2019, 12:43   #4267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepsc View Post
This document is available on ICICI Fastag website since long back. With the help of same document I created login ID credentials in 2017.

As far my automatically tag detection is concerned, I have now cut the portion of sunfilm and pasted the tag over there behind the IRVM. Let's hope now it will be automatically detected without any fuss.
So did it get detected ? Because I am also going to do the same.When my replacement tag arrives
Old 16th December 2019, 13:01   #4268
Senior - BHPian

Finally, after waiting 32 days, I have received the Fastag from ICICI bank today.
Old 16th December 2019, 13:07   #4269
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrikon_454 View Post
1. Can a FASTag be procured at the toll just like that? What documents would be required?
2. Can it be recharged again, or is it a one-time thing?
3. Is there any validity on this?
4. I heard the mandatory implementation is extended until the 15th of January, 2020. Is it true?
5. Is the price already doubled if we opt to pay via cash?

Any light on this would be highly appreciated. Thanks.
All Fastags are 'pre-paid' as such. There is no difference in the property of tag which you buy from any toll booth / PoS or from a bank.

Till Jan 15th, there will be 25% of toll booths which will be accepting cash (compared to earlier plan of just one toll booth at each toll). Hence apart from the rush due to vacation period + Fastag implementation, you will still be able to go ahead with your trip plan without tag.

Double toll amount is not implemented anywhere I guess. Haven't seen any comments on that and also the same is mentioned in news article today.

It is possible to get tag without the vehicle number, the same way all dealers get the tag fixed before vehicle delivery.

Procedure of the same was mentioned in this thread few months back by a member, I am not able to find the post. However, you can check the same at ICICI Bomanahalli branch for the same in case its near to you. I remember that the member had received the tag from there.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 13:10   #4270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
At pallikonda and vaniyambadi the boards still say fastag lane is on the left but now the dedicated fastag lane has become a cash lane and the fastag lanes are on the right.
So there is no consistency on which side is Fastag and which is not then. So Lovely!

Nemili and Chennasamudram have been having Fastag on all lanes for atleast 6 months now. I don't remember the last time I paid cash. Chennasamudram does play tricks, their scanners do work.

Correct implementation would be to ramp up the dedicated lanes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Also, let me add that SBI FASTag does NOT have an app.
There is. It is just god-awful that you'll rather recharge from phone browser than that contraption

Last edited by narayans80 : 16th December 2019 at 13:24.
Old 16th December 2019, 13:18   #4271
BANNED

Experience SBI FASTag

Wife had opted for SBI FASTag (declining g dealer provided one) in June 2019 when we got out new Jazz. During purchase, the vehicle engine number and chassis number was required and it took couple of days for the tag to arrive. Since temp reign was done and we opted for a specific number on Parivahan site, production of vehicle for registration was delayed by a few days, and tag reached in time for registration.
Once registration was over, a copy of the RC and a photo of the car was needed. In KL, parivahan was having teething troubles, and the RC came almost 2 months later. Obviously, this went out of our mind. Highway travel also was not involved for our need.
Yesterday, wife finally got around to logging on to https://fastag.onlinesbi.com/ the username is the mobile number and an OTP will be sent at first login. You create a password here.
Some .months back, I had posted how the tag was successful at Paliyekkars (Trichur) plaza on the onward journey and failed in the return. It turns out that in spite of NOT submitting the RC, the tag is valid. That is, no vehicle number is linked to this tag. There was Rs. 100 balance available, and 70 was deducted in the onward journey. Balance of Rs 30/- was insufficient for return journey and the tag failed. I had made a post about this earlier, but did not have the statement then.so,

1. If you have a tag, linked to your mobile and there is money in it, ought to work. And you can charge money to it too - we have charged Rs 200 now.

2. Till you add the vehicle registration details, the chassis number or engine number will be shown as the vehicle number.

Also, let me add that SBI FASTag does NOT have an app. Do let me know if there is. A search on the play store does not show any. And YONO doesn't support FASTag.
Old 16th December 2019, 13:59   #4272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
All Fastags are 'pre-paid' as such. There is no difference in the property of tag which you buy from any toll booth / PoS or from a bank.

Till Jan 15th, there will be 25% of toll booths which will be accepting cash (compared to earlier plan of just one toll booth at each toll). Hence apart from the rush due to vacation period + Fastag implementation, you will still be able to go ahead with your trip plan without tag.

Double toll amount is not implemented anywhere I guess. Haven't seen any comments on that and also the same is mentioned in news article today.

It is possible to get tag without the vehicle number, the same way all dealers get the tag fixed before vehicle delivery.

Procedure of the same was mentioned in this thread few months back by a member, I am not able to find the post. However, you can check the same at ICICI Bomanahalli branch for the same in case its near to you. I remember that the member had received the tag from there.
Thanks for the reply, mpksuhas.

I contacted the manager of the ICICI branch where I hold multiple current and personal accounts, but he told me upfront that it'll take over a week for the FASTag to arrive. And, he also said that the RC card must be in the name of the account holder, else they can't do much about it. I was a little surprised, but thought I'll get back to him with a little more clarity on the same.
Old 16th December 2019, 14:30   #4273

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post

Unfortunately, we ended up paying double toll yesterday at the Krishnagiri toll. The taxi we were travelling in had a non-functional fast-tag. So if you don't have functional fast-tag, use cash only lane.
Also, there was a nearly 20min traffic snarl before Attibele toll yesterday at 8PM. I wonder why we cannot have a toll waiver if there is long traffic jam

Last edited by aramosfet : 16th December 2019 at 14:38. Reason: remove incorrect information
aramosfet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 14:32   #4274
BHPian

I have one query. What if there is not enough balance in the Fastag account? Will the scanner at the toll booth reject passage or will the excess amount show as negative balance in Fastag account ?
Old 16th December 2019, 14:46   #4275
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prafful_Rathod View Post
I have one query. What if there is not enough balance in the Fastag account? Will the scanner at the toll booth reject passage or will the excess amount show as negative balance in Fastag account ?
The scanner doesn't check your tag balance. It only checks whether tag status is Active or Blacklisted.

Blacklisted is when the balance goes to negative.

Say you have 20 INR and the toll booth you pass has a fee of 50, you will cross this without issue but soon after the balance will go negative and tag status to Blacklisted and you won't be able to pass the next one.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed