Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2020, 12:08   #4696
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
On my recent trip, I calculated the toll and did top-up accordingly to make sure that Rs.150 are left after last toll plaza. But I missed the last toll plaza. I did an instant top up (UPI) of Rs.100 while waiting in queue at the toll plaza. The toll was Rs.135. It didn't show any blacklisted thing and I passed smoothly. Now, balance is Rs.115. So, as mentioned by someone, minimum Rs.200 as threshold amount is not correct, at least for ICICI fastags.
Since Axis Bank never let me complete KYC, I couldn't recharge the wallet for more than Rs.500 (no KYC, hence). And in the course of every highway trip when my wallet would dip below Rs.200, I'd get blacklisted at a toll booth and get cursed and honked at. I'll never forget the "200" figure! It is curious as to how this threshold seems to vary...as someone else pointed out earlier, this could be set by each issuing bank whose wallet we end up using.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 12:48   #4697
BHPian

On my HDFC Bank FASTag, the minimum balance required for a toll deduction to go through is Rs.100

If I reach a toll gate and the balance is Rs.99, it will show the tag as Blacklisted even if the toll debit amount is Rs.20.
Old 17th January 2020, 13:29   #4698
BHPian

This "blacklisting" is a wrong term, it is bound to scare people and will end up making them feel bad/cheated.

Remember, not everyone has the time or inclination to be fully literate on "behind the scenes, this is what it means" stuff.

If this is the minimalistic effort NHAI/MoRTH is going to put into such an important rollout, then I wouldn't be surprised to see a major backlash/protest a few weeks from now and the whole initiative is forced to be junked.
vharihar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 13:44   #4699
BHPian

Another fastag scam alert on pune-mumbai expressway
On 10 jan 2020
I was charged Rs 266/- instead of Rs 173/- at the Talegaon toll plaza so i stopped the car at the khalapur plaza and asked about the excess charge. The attendant told me that my car is registered as a tempo and i had to contact my bank for refund. Same thing happened on my return journey i had to pay higher amount.
I then contacted my bank HDFC and asked for refund and clarification about class. Bank confirmed that my vehicle has been registered as a car and i was charged extra.
On my next trip on 17 jan 2020
I stopped the car at the toll and the amount displayed was Rs 266/-.
I told him that i am a regular user and have been charged Rs 173/- on my previous trips. And i will not move the car unless right amount is deducted.
Today he charged me Rs 173/- and let me pass through.
I guess these toll operators have found a new way of extracting money and then make u run for refunds
architkarpe is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 13:55   #4700
Senior - BHPian

In major setback, FASTag increases wait time by 29%

Quote:
Even as digital toll payments through FASTags across national highways increased to at least 60% of total toll collections from December 2019 to January 2020, the average waiting time of vehicles at toll plazas went up by 29%.

To be sure, much of this is because not everyone has moved to FASTags yet, and the data mainly highlights teething troubles in the digital payment method across national highways.

Electronic toll collection at highway plazas has gone up by at least 60%, the transport ministry said. This is only to be expected since the rules mandate electronic payments. Data on whether there was an increase in overall toll revenue isn’t available yet — this will show whether FASTags have met one of their objectives, preventing leakages in the system.

According to data from the central toll plaza traffic monitoring system, which is currently live at 488 plazas, the average waiting for a vehicle between November 15, 2019 and December 14, 2019 was 7 minutes and 44 seconds. This went up to 9 minutes and 57 seconds between December 15, 2019 and January 14, 2020.

The average waiting time is calculated by the time travelled by each vehicle to cross the toll plazas and is calculated within 1km distance of the plazas. The average wait time at toll plazas in 2018 was 8 minutes 16 seconds as compared to 9 minutes and 12 seconds last year (till November 2019).

On December 17, Hindustan Times reported that on the day FASTags started being used, December 15, the average waiting time of vehicles at plazas increased from 10 minutes and four seconds on December 15, 2018 to 12 minutes. The average waiting time of vehicles on December 14, a day before the implementation, stood at 10 minutes and 57 seconds.

Live monitoring of the traffic is done by an online monitoring website tolltimezero.com, a Noida-based startup launched by two IIT-Kanpur alumni.
Source: https://www.hindustantimes.com/india...0zKfOjyLI.html

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 17th January 2020 at 13:58.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 19:40   #4701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Looks like this is only for the "NHAI issued FASTag". It doesn't seem to work for other FASTags. It'd be good....
Please try using this no. 80109 28888.
I am using it for my ICICI Fastag.
Old 17th January 2020, 20:25   #4702
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by architkarpe View Post
Another fastag scam alert on pune-mumbai expressway

Today he charged me Rs 173/- and let me pass through.
I guess these toll operators have found a new way of extracting money and then make u run for refunds

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
This "blacklisting" is a wrong term, it is bound to scare people and will end up making them feel bad/cheated.

Remember, not everyone has the time or inclination to be fully literate on "behind the scenes, this is what it means" stuff.

If this is the minimalistic effort NHAI/MoRTH is going to put into such an important rollout, then I wouldn't be surprised to see a major backlash/protest a few weeks from now and the whole initiative is forced to be junked.
As I said earlier, the tolls are a major source for generating black money, and people want to defeat it. If a semi literate attendant at a toll can override the vehicle classification on the RC, and the tag database, it is with instructions from the operator. And the system has built in loopholes. Such operators should be debarred summarily.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 20:50   #4703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Please try using this no. 80109 28888.
I am using it for my ICICI Fastag.
I know. Anyway stated here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ml#post4731971 (FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!)
Old 17th January 2020, 21:50   #4704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post

One of the problems seems to be that in a lot of tolls the demarcation itself causes delays even before the split to cash and fastag lanes. This is a video at Attibele toll in December. The video starts 15 minutes after the initial sign stating there's 1 km to toll. The first 2 minutes show the traffic blockage before we reach the entrance to the fastag lane. With lots of honking and shoddy handling of this point the driver in front of me actually got out to fight with the people manning this entrance. I lost the 2 minute segment after that, but you can see that even after that I'm still waiting for fastag to actually work on the vehicles in front of me which was hit or miss. The driver in front of me was ready to come out and fight.

Overall in addition to the glitches that the old technology of the fastag creates, with corrupt toll collectors and the usual traffic it looks like the use of manpower and physical measures to regulate traffic is far from optimised. The present fastag system is tuned to work well when traffic is light.
And don't forget that last year there was a promise to switch over to a new technology etag system soon.
BenjiRoss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2020, 07:50   #4705
BHPian

Like I have stated many times before, the politicians and the toll operators do not want a completely automated system till they can figure out how to misappropriate money from it.

The solution to the technical problem of accessing the tag details "instantly" is to have a "pre-read" of the tag much before your vehicle reaches the toll gate. So basically another tag reader reads your tag a couple of minutes before and caches the data for the tag reader at the toll gate - " instant read" accomplished! Zero delay and invisible unobtrusive toll "gate".
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2020, 10:37   #4706
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
And don't forget that last year there was a promise to switch over to a new technology etag system soon.
If I remember correctly, there were 2 technologies under consideration when electronic toll system was proposed. The one offered by the present vendor through Axis bank won. Can't remember who the other one was.

Edit:-
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elec...oll_collection

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 18th January 2020 at 10:41.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2020, 20:00   #4707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Transfer of funds from main wallet to FasTag wallet was seamless.
When I recharge my paytm the amount credited in my paytm wallet. My doubt is how it transfer to fastag balance. It shows the initial balance as Rs 150.
Old 18th January 2020, 20:07   #4708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukanta73 View Post
When I recharge my paytm the amount credited in my paytm wallet. My doubt is how it transfer to fastag balance. It shows the initial balance as Rs 150.
You don't need to transfer. Keep your paytm wallet loaded. Toll charges will first be deducted from Rs.150 and then toll amount will be transferred from your main wallet to fastag balance at its own.
mukeshgoel is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2020, 05:42   #4709
Senior - BHPian

This is related: Cybersecurity expert conned by Fastag Scam

While the con itself is not about FASTAG, fastag is being used as bait. And it is credible enough that a person trained to be skeptical about it fell for it.

I have seen enough people asking for help here. While the community itself might be vetted, it is also accessible to anyone with internet access. So this site and this thread can be the an excellent start point for this attack vector.

So beware, folks. There are really bad people out there.
  1. Don't click random links.
  2. Dont share otps.
  3. Dont search for support sites or phone numbers.
  4. Enable 2FA where ever possible.
  5. Opt for an authenticator app over sms where possible for 2FA

Last edited by sridhu : 19th January 2020 at 05:51.
sridhu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2020, 08:36   #4710
BHPian

Do I need to complete the KYC for Paytm to avail the fastag facility?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks