Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2020, 16:13   #5116
BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
The bigger toll plazas have Automatic Number Plate Recognitions Systems (ANPRS) which processes...
Can some third party read some public data off the Fastag? Like, say the apartment security? What data is public? What can be read by a normal RFID scanner?
How can Fastag be used as an identification system?
Old 15th July 2020, 17:46   #5117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Can some third party read some public data off the Fastag? Like, say the apartment security? What data is public? What can be read by a normal RFID scanner?
Not as per design. The scanner reads only the identification string on the Fastag (which I believe is also printed on the tag). The supporting software then packages this string into an API request and sends it off to an NPCI server along with its (the software's) authorisation info. If the authorisation is verified then the NPCI server responds with the vehicle details (number, make/model, blacklisted or not etc.). Without valid authorisation nobody can retrieve this information from NPCI.
binand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 18:25   #5118
Distinguished - BHPian

The ANPRS simply reads the number plate and waits for the NPCI system to revert with the stored vehicle details. Sounds simple now but was cutting edge till a few years back :-)
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 20:44   #5119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .HEM View Post
I passed through it and was debited Rs.50 and the balance amount in the Fasttag account was Rs.56. I returned after 3 hours and the return charge is Rs.25. But, the Fasttag was not functioning and the operator said it was blacklisted due to insufficient funds. I had to pay the full single entry toll manually and then proceed.
I don't think that account will be blacklisted if balance falls below threshold (100 or 150 whatever). What I want to ask is, did you have Rs.56 in your account before paying the Rs.50 toll or after paying?

If you had Rs.56 after paying Rs.50, then you had enough balance to pay even the single entry toll while returning. According to the rules, it should only take a total of Rs.75 for your circumstance.

You should call up 1033 (NHAI complaints number) and file a complaint. There are hundreds and thousands of complaints pending with the NHAI only concerning the fastags. Charging two single tolls instead of one multiple and not accepting inspite of sufficient funds are among the top most cases.
Old 18th July 2020, 18:50   #5120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabkaraja View Post
Then goto consumer helpline http://www.consumerhelpline.gov.in/ and upload all the information (you have to create an account).
Could you please inform what Industry and Category did you select on this website?

BTW, I have complaint regarding Khalapur Toll Plaza for Paytm Fastag.
Old 21st July 2020, 09:17   #5121
BHPian

Hey guys! I have a fastag from Hdfc which was affixed by the showroom during delivery. I think it had Rs. 500 loaded and i used most of it. So now can i place a order for another fastag with PayTM since its more easy to use and also the Hdfc one sends sms to my Dad's mobile number and its difficult to keep track of all the transactions. Do i have to close the previous fastag account or simply removing the sticker will do?
Old 21st July 2020, 10:13   #5122
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj_RD View Post
Do i have to close the previous fastag account or simply removing the sticker will do?
Close the HDFC tag account by calling them and requesting firstly for deactivation of tag, followed by full closure of the wallet (and ultimately a refund. You can immediately remove the old tag but retain it just in case HDFC wants a picture of the same etc.

Parallely, get the new tag from any issuer and start using the same.
Old 28th July 2020, 12:43   #5123
BHPian

Hi.
I've booked a Jeep Compass and have made the payment / handed in the exchange car to the dealer. All was well till the time they started the registration process. That's when things have come to a halt.
Apparently the dealer is not able to get a Fastag linked to the vehicle , because the fastag provider's system cannot accept a chassis number / vin number with special characters.
Jeep has an asterisk in its chassis number in its 18th character ( total length of chassis number is 20 digits)
Everyone is stumped and they're trying to resolve it with the banks who are providing the fastags.
Has anyone else faced this issue ? and are there any known solutions for this ?
Thanks.
Cheers !
Old 28th July 2020, 16:59   #5124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMKAM View Post
Jeep has an asterisk in its chassis number in its 18th character ( total length of chassis number is 20 digits)
Everyone is stumped and they're trying to resolve it with the banks who are providing the fastags.
Please try omitting the chars from star onwards and resubmit, most likely they are the manufacturing month / year for giving clarity and transparency to customer. Same for my Crysta too. The standard length of VIN / chassis number is 17 cars only.
haisaikat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 17:07   #5125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
Please try omitting the chars from star onwards and resubmit, most likely they are the manufacturing month / year for giving clarity and transparency to customer. Same for my Crysta too. The standard length of VIN / chassis number is 17 cars only.
Yes, you're right.
But the problem , as I have now found out more about it, is also complicated.
Apparently Jeep ( and Toyota) have registered their vehicles on the parivahan site using the full 20 digit chassis number ( which includes the last 2 digits to identify month-year of mfg). And recently, parivahan site database is linked to fastag providers' portals.
Now, the issue is that while fastag portals are accepting only 17 digit chassis numbers , the parivahan database has 20 characters. And that's creating a mismatch.

Fastags therefore are not getting generated and as a consequence, car registrations are stalled.

The dealers have asked RTO to allow registration without fastag , till such time as this issue is sorted out. But the question of how and when this matter will get sorted remains pending. What will happen if I agree to proceed with registration without Fastag and later the issue persists ?
AMKAM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 17:30   #5126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMKAM View Post
What will happen if I agree to proceed with registration without Fastag and later the issue persists ?
Did you ask dealer to try with a different provider? Try checking with SBI Fastag, they are usually slower and used to support offline activation too until last year
haisaikat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 20:06   #5127
Senior - BHPian

Had a strange experience with my Axis bank Fastag at BETL toll booth at Electronic City this morning. I took the BETL from Hosur road side towards Silkboard early in the morning. The detector recognized my tag and the amount was deducted immediately. I took the BETL back towards Electronic City after an hour. I entered the express lane and the display showed that my tag is blacklisted. The balance in my Fastag account was around Rs.1500/-. Fortunately there were no vehicles behind me. The toll booth operator asked me to backup and enter the cash lane to pay through cash. As soon as I entered the cash lane, the detector in that lane detected the tag and opened the barrier. The amount too got deducted immediately. No idea why the detector in the express lane showed my tag as blacklisted. I am new to Fastag and not sure if this issue is something normal for all users.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 28th July 2020 at 20:28.
Old 28th July 2020, 21:32   #5128

Hello T-BHP'ians,

I am narrating my very pleasant, seamless, touch n go and needless to say, Cashless experience with SBI fastag so far. I am that kind of the person who doesn't move until last moment. So until Central govt made it mandatory, I took Fastags very casually just like another futile exercise and had not even bothered to know deeper about it. I was living under the impression that NH Toll Booths did not have the scanners capable of reading fastags but I must also say that it was my hearsay knowledge.

So finally when there was no way around it and that once I had to wait for about 20 full minutes crawling in the only cash lane, I decided to get one for my Duster. I went straight ahead for SBI Fastag as I do have SBI Netbanking with full transaction rights for my savings account. I thought the SBI Fastag account could be linked directly to my SBI Netbanking account and auto debits would happen from my savings account whenever there is shortage of balance in the Fastag account. But such was not the case.

After receiving Fastag with OTP on my registered mobile number, the first thing I did was logged in my fastag account using OTP and created a complex login password for future login and recharged it immediately. Recharging SBI Fastag is a very hasslefree experience as my savings account is also with SBI. It takes hardly 3 minutes. And Yet SBI charges relatively higher transaction fee while recharging SBI Fastag.

But except this, there is no other shortcoming in SBI Fastag. It works perfectly fine. Just you have to ensure that there is always enough sufficient balance in your Fastag account before starting the journey on NH. If you place it at the centre top of front windshield, it takes only couple of seconds to get scanned at toll booth and red signal turns green within a moment and barricade goes up instantly to let your car pass through. SBI fastag account keeps all the data and reports of all Credits and debits made right from first transaction itself. Pretty much similar to Netbanking facility. Very Nice. You also receive text messages on your registered mobile number about all debit and credit transactions meaning whenever you cross NH toll booth successfully or whenever you recharge the Fastag. Overall Pretty much Satisfied as a customer.

PS - I request all fellow T-BHP'ians to link their PAN with Fastag account on or before 31 July 2020. Failing which your Fastag won't work although having enough balance. Linking process is very simple. Once you log in your Fastag account, it asks to upload a low resolution picture of your PAN. you can reduce the size by online compressors and then after you manually type your PAN number, it cross verifies with the central govt data and voila, PAN has been verified.
DusterBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 11:34   #5129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DusterBoy View Post
PS - I request all fellow T-BHP'ians to link their PAN with Fastag account on or before 31 July 2020. Failing which your Fastag won't work although having enough balance
Wait a minute. When did this happen ? I don't remember receiving any notification on the same. I am checking my Fastag provider - Equitas as we speak and there is no provision to link Pan Card

Last edited by Sk8r : 29th July 2020 at 11:34. Reason: Type corrected
Old 29th July 2020, 11:54   #5130
MSC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DusterBoy View Post
Link their PAN with Fastag account on or before 31 July 2020. Failing which your Fastag won't work although having enough balance.
[/i]
When did this started? I used an ICICI fastag till some months back and now I am using Paytm fastag. Noone demanded such PAN linkage.
If I am not wrong, without PAN you can't load money in excess of ten thousand in the tag wallet. But not linking PAN is leading to blacklisted tag? This is something new about which I have no idea nor I saw any such information in media.
Can you please provide screenshot for the same?

Most Viewed