Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2021, 09:15   #5596
BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

The fact that TeamBHP has been on the topic of 'Fastag' since it became mainstream just amazes me! Special thank to our fellow BHPian who started this thread a while back.

FASTag process was a breeze after reading this post!
Old 28th February 2021, 10:03   #5597
Distinguished - BHPian

Still waiting for my second tag from ICICI. Request raised 5 Feb, amount paid same day. I have been asking them to give me another tag for my second car, so that I have a single account. There was no response for 15 days so I tweeted to them. Then there were a few mails, but one week later usual acknowledgements of my mails apart from one mail asking for my tag details - which they themselves can find on my account.

Just that I dont expect this car to travel much out of city immediately, but want to get it done asap.
Old 2nd March 2021, 10:01   #5598
BHPian

As per the Govt calculations, the FASTag implementation will lead to a fuel saving of 20,000 Crore, and also bump the revenue by 10,000 Crore

[Source]

Logic says, the better the FASTag implementation, the lesser the delays and higher the savings.
Old 2nd March 2021, 11:10   #5599
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Just that I dont expect this car to travel much out of city immediately, but want to get it done asap.
For ICICI, there is an option to request for second tag for another car under same account through there online portal.

I have checked this option, however haven't requested yet. In my case too, there was no urgency for second tag, hence thought will try after current rush.
Old 2nd March 2021, 11:11   #5600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
As per the Govt calculations, the FASTag implementation will lead to a fuel saving of 20,000 Crore, and also bump the revenue by 10,000 Crore
I am just thinking that if only they removed the tolls across all the national highways, the savings could be even higher than the 20K crores. The road tax is paid by all the vehicle users, perhaps, increase the road tax % slightly and knock down all the tolls.

The tolls these days also serve as a way to track when a vehicle may have crossed which toll gate at what time, and this is particularly useful for the police in solving crimes. To that extent, I would say that they keep the tag sensors active, but knock off the rest of the infrastructure, keep the roads smooth and save more on fuel as a nation.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 11:40   #5601
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
I am just thinking that if only they removed the tolls across all the national highways, the savings could be even higher than the 20K crores. The road tax is paid by all the vehicle users, perhaps, increase the road tax % slightly and knock down all the tolls..
My tuppence. That's not a very practical method. Firstly tolls operate on the basis of 'pay per use'. It would be unfair to load a particular car owner if he/she uses the NH/SH system sparingly compared to someone who uses these roads frequently. Also, how do you distribute and apportion the taxes in a fair method to each road operator? Some stretches of road have very heavy traffic for e.g. NH4 (now NH48) that runs from Mumbai to Bangalore sees very heavy traffic. Also, there are different segments of operators on any stretch of highway. We have to see their PoV as well.

Quote:
The tolls these days also serve as a way to track when a vehicle may have crossed which toll gate at what time, and this is particularly useful for the police in solving crimes. To that extent, I would say that they keep the tag sensors active, but knock off the rest of the infrastructure, keep the roads smooth and save more on fuel as a nation.
Tracking crimes is just one of the positives from a toll system. The car has to slow down for the tag to be recognized. A S-BHPian here whose car was stolen was alerted to the route by the deductions on his Fastag. Though It's a different matter the car wasn't recovered.

Last edited by R2D2 : 2nd March 2021 at 11:41.
Old 2nd March 2021, 11:56   #5602
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
My tuppence. That's not a very practical method. Firstly tolls operate on the basis of 'pay per use'. It would be unfair to load a particular car owner if he/she uses the NH/SH system sparingly compared to someone who uses these roads frequently. Also, how do you distribute and apportion the taxes in a fair method to each road operator? Some stretches of road have very heavy traffic for e.g. NH4 (now NH48) that runs from Mumbai to Bangalore sees very heavy traffic. Also, there are different segments of operators on any stretch of highway. We have to see their PoV as well.
I also don't understand why bikes and autorickshaws are not charged tolls? They also use the same space.

One argument is poor man's transport. Then why are taxi's charged and why are public buses charged? In mumbai BEST and ST buses pay lumpsum toll. The rickshaws are still luxury for a bus traveller.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 12:54   #5603
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I also don't understand why bikes and autorickshaws are not charged tolls? They also use the same space.

One argument is poor man's transport. Then why are taxi's charged and why are public buses charged? In mumbai BEST and ST buses pay lumpsum toll. The rickshaws are still luxury for a bus traveller.
That's right. Charging bikes and ricks is a politically charged decision because of the "poor man's transport" tag. I understand vehicles whose owners are living within 10 km of the toll booth are not charged. Whether that is followed in practice or not is a different matter. As for public transport like taxis and buses, well, they are commercial activities and will be charged. In Pune taxis inter city buses & trucks are charged a toll if the enter the Cantonment area whereas private vehicles and of course 2 wheelers are not.
Old 2nd March 2021, 13:05   #5604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post

One argument is poor man's transport. Then why are taxi's charged and why are public buses charged?
A person who can afford taxi for long journey can definitely afford toll.
Autos and bikes are usually not meant for long journey. Government collect tax for all vehicles. So, they are expected to give alternate path for people who don't travel long journey but need to cross the toll. This becomes too complex to manage.

Hence they don't collect toll from autos and two wheelers if we ride two wheelers for long journey

But I agree to your logic, when it comes to superbike users. If one can afford to maintain superbike, he can definitely afford to pay toll.

Last edited by gkveda : 2nd March 2021 at 13:07.
Old 2nd March 2021, 13:36   #5605
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
For ICICI, there is an option to request for second tag for another car under same account through there online portal.
I spoke to cust service, and their agent put up the request. It's been a month, and last 2 weeks of escalation. Poor service I would say. Today also the escalation team person called back. On more than one occasion I have been asked to provide my details - which they could have picked up from my account itself. I told her if they cant resolve it, I will move both my tags out of ICICI to another service provider.

Last edited by condor : 2nd March 2021 at 13:39.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 10:42   #5606
Senior - BHPian

On 2nd February I recharged my FasTag for 1500 through the ICICI App using UPI , the payment went through & I immediately got a payment-successful message on PhonePe as well as an E-Mail from RazorPay confirming it. However somehow the tag didn't get topped-up and I came to know after the next toll was deducted. So I immediately recharged again and that 2nd top-up went through as usual.

Never had such an issue in the 2.5 years I had FasTag, so I thought the refund would be automatically credited back / topped-up. Neither happened upto 8th Feb, so I raised a request on their Toll Free Number. The CC confirmed the same & said it'll be refunded in a week. Sadly no joy.

18th Feb I called again & they said that the CC-Exec hadn't sent the mail internally(!) and they'll escalate the issue to close within 2-3days. Again, nothing happened.

27th Feb I call and they repeat the same 2-3day story.

2nd March I call & they say system is down, pretend to note down my concern & promise "resolution" as soon as system is online again.

Today my phone is unable to connect to their number.

Its been more than a month and its getting hard to remember & follow-up. I see no refund in sight, so I just wanted to ask here if its generally meaningful to persist ? Do they have any e-mail ID where I can seek help ?
Old 3rd March 2021, 13:10   #5607
Distinguished - BHPian

I drove down from Bhubaneswar to Bangalore over the past weekend. I crossed several tolls on the route and could see some difference after the Fastags have been made mandatory. Some observations from my end:

- Waiting time has reduced slightly (since my last trip 3 months ago on the same route).

- The processing time for each car is still high. Most likely the tags are to be blamed as my tag was always detected in a second while it took much longer for others.

- Many lanes are closed and not operational. If they are opened, the congestion would reduce.

- People are still paying cash. Not sure if they end up paying double or the toll guys are 'lenient on regular cars'. Some attendants direct or even force these cars to go to the fastag kiosks near the toll gate and get a tag.

- People do turn up with blacklisted tags (insufficient balance or otherwise) and argue with the attendant. Some even block the lane and charge the tag on the spot.

- In case the car is unwilling to pay double toll as fine, the attendant asks the car to return. This impacts all the cars lined up behind this 'faulty' car. Near Nellore, there was this instance where an Etios turned up without sufficient balance and then started calling up folks to recharge his tag. I was just behind him and there were 4 other cars behind me. All 5 of us had to back out, wait and enter the next empty lane. In this 15-20 mins were lost.

- People turn up with special passes, Govt. ID cards, etc. or even VIP movement. The VIP lanes are blocked or used up by normal vehicular traffic and hence, these group of vehicles are forced to go via the fastag lanes. This sometimes leads to jam, arguments and bad lane discipline.

- Even today, it takes one 'nut' to break the line and try to jump the queue. A swarm of other vehicles follow suit to create a new line

Last edited by ashis89 : 3rd March 2021 at 13:12.
Old 3rd March 2021, 13:39   #5608
HKP
BHPian

Quick help needed!

I was using HDFC FasTag from 2019 Jan and worked well, though I hate that portal. Now, today when I was about to recharge - it says Credit freeze and needs KYC!! No, email, message or any prior notification, they just did that and I came to know only while recharging.
So, It won't let me recharge. Called customer care and they say every 2 years we need a new KYC and it will take 2 days to reactivate.

The problem is I need to travel tomorrow.
What happens if I travel and reach the Toll in this case, will I have to pay a fine or double the amount, etc?

Any suggestions based on your experience are welcome.

\\hkp
Old 3rd March 2021, 14:03   #5609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKP View Post
Quick help needed!

The problem is I need to travel tomorrow.
What happens if I travel and reach the Toll in this case, will I have to pay a fine or double the amount, etc?

Any suggestions based on your experience are welcome.

\\hkp
If you were recharging through HDFC website, try other mediums like GooglePay or Paytm. The recharge might get successful.

Otherwise, with a low FastTag balance, you'll need to pay double the amount for the tolls.

Quote:
“As per NH Fee Rules 2008, any vehicle not fitted with FASTag or vehicle without valid, functional FASTag entering into the FASTag lane of the fee plaza shall pay a fee equivalent to two times of the fee applicable to that category,” the Ministry said.

Last edited by Tojo_GotBhp : 3rd March 2021 at 14:06. Reason: Typo
Old 3rd March 2021, 14:14   #5610
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKP View Post
Now, today when I was about to recharge - it says Credit freeze and needs KYC!! No, email, message or any prior notification, they just did that and I came to know only while recharging.
Hoping it wont stop your fastag trip: try recharge via netc.xx - the UPI way, or recharge at any HDFC fastag counter. Hope one of this works

Most Viewed