Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2021, 18:29   #5926
Senior - BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashman View Post
Not sure if this has been discussed before but here goes…
So I have experience with FasTag procurement, top up, damage, and replacement for 2 new vehicles and it has been driving me mad, so figured what better place than here to vent!

As I understand it, manufacturers have been informed that no new vehicle can be delivered without a FasTag being issued against it. So the dealer gets the FasTag issued against the VIN of the vehicle. And this leads to a litany of issues
So there’s my rant. Happy to hear the community’s thoughts on whether I am overreacting or if others have faced this issue as well, and solved it with more alacrity and less frustration than I have.

Cheers,
Gnashman
Well, I completely sympathize with you having gone through some of the hiccups myself for my new car. My experience goes like this.

I had ICICI Fastag for my old car and wanted to stick with same bank as I had good experience with them. I was not comfortable with govt banks like SBI as I have heard horror stories about KYC related issues. However, that was not the case as my new car dealer had tie up with only Karur Vysya bank. However he was ok for me to purchase it myself from bank of my choice and share proof with him prior to delivery. So far so good I thought. So I contacted ICICI bank who directed me to buy it either online from their site or from desk at a nearby toll plaza. Now comes the twist. It so happened that I had to travel outstation (highway) on the very next day of delivery. So I had to have the tag ready in my hand before that. I went to the bank site and there was option to order it online without any proof of documentation but I had to wait for the tag delivery which unfortunately was not looking possible by the delivery date. So I had to drop that idea and instead was thinking of buying it on the spot from ICICI desk at toll plaza. However, it required me to take the car and documents there, both of the options were not feasible before the car delivery itself. Hence I had to let go of that option as well. Eventually I had to go with dealer choice - but even he was not sure if he could arrange the tag on the day of delivery Anyway after lot of pestering, I could get the tag ontime and ready to go. Tag was issued on VIN number and there was option to charge it from GPay or Bank app by using VIN number. Luckily tag worked fine and also I could top up using above options. However, looking up and typing such a long VIN number every time was very cumbersome. So I visited the KVB branch in the town I traveled to for updating registration number but they simply refused to take my request and asked me to contact branch from where tag was purchased

Anyway, since the tag was working fine and I was able to top-up, I did not follow up immediately. After about 40 days, I got my RC card so I decided to visit nearest KVB branch for updating the account. Surprisingly they just asked me to submit an application on plain paper along with RC copy and my ID proof. Job was done in 5 minutes and later in the day, RC number was reflecting in my Fastag account !! So now the tag is all set and I do not have to remember / type long VIN number anymore.

However, having gone through this experience, I also think that there should be better way to handle Fastag issuance for new car. Customer should have option to chose and there should be timeframe provided. Hope someone is listening !!

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 14th December 2021 at 18:38.
Old 14th December 2021, 19:31   #5927

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
AXIS Bank is different. I don't have a Savings or Current account with Axis Bank. But their mobile app makes FasTag recharging quite easy. Another advantage is that Axis bank allows you to configure UPI IDs for all bank accounts irrespective of where the account actually is. They also give a unique UPI ID for FastTag account so recharging is also quite simple.

They do a round of KYC, but again what is mostly required are the vehicle details like RC Card etc.
So it looks like there is some minimal KYC but one is able to use the mobile app without having an account. So Axis Bank wins this round! Thanks, this information should be helpful in deciding (if there is a choice) on which bank to use.

Re configuring multiple UPI IDs, I may be mistaken but I think all apps permit this.

Separately, for the FasTag UPI ID, are you able to change details on the app itself (from VIN to RC, for example)?

Quote:
Axis Bank came to my rescue here as well. When I got the tag activated, it was based on VIN. But their customer support staff could get it changed to the Vehicle Regn Number. Now at toll booths my vehicle number gets displayed on the devices placed near the barriers.
IDFC wins this round! Their desktop portal (while designed poorly) allows you change the VIN to the RC. So no human interaction needed there.

Quote:
From my experience (mainly on toll booths at Attibele and at Elevated Highway). No amount of incentiviation will work - unless it is like people get paid for using this roads instead of them paying any thing. There are still people who barge into all lines without having FasTag; and then starts arguing as well. I have this uncanny ability to be next in line behind such vehicles (and thus lose out on any FasTag advantage).
True, but mandating FasTag for new vehicles (or for that matter older vehicles) does not seem to have inconvenienced these people (or for that matter made them change their ways). The implementation process has only inconvenienced the average user.
Having said that, agree with you that my suggestion of mandating FasTag only after getting the RC will lead to more such incidents and so is not a good solve to this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
So I contacted ICICI bank who directed me to buy it either online from their site or from desk at a nearby toll plaza. Now comes the twist. It so happened that I had to travel outstation (highway) on the very next day of delivery. So I had to have the tag ready in my hand before that. I went to the bank site and there was option to order it online without any proof of documentation but I had to wait for the tag delivery which unfortunately was not looking possible by the delivery date. So I had to drop that idea and instead was thinking of buying it on the spot from ICICI desk at toll plaza. However, it required me to take the car and documents there, both of the options were not feasible before the car delivery itself. Hence I had to let go of that option as well.
If you need the FasTag immediately, buying at a booth at a toll plaza is the best option. I did in fact use that option once (as you can see, my FasTag escapades are multifarious!).
Took the vehicle (with no FasTag on it) through the toll plaza.
Paid double the toll with cash (because the FasTag booth was after the toll plaza).
Went to the booth, bought the Tag and fixed it - process took about 20 minutes.
Enjoyed the rest of the journey!

Quote:
Tag was issued on VIN number and there was option to charge it from GPay or Bank app by using VIN number. Luckily tag worked fine and also I could top up using above options. However, looking up and typing such a long VIN number every time was very cumbersome. So I visited the KVB branch in the town I traveled to for updating registration number but they simply refused to take my request and asked me to contact branch from where tag was purchased

Anyway, since the tag was working fine and I was able to top-up, I did not follow up immediately. After about 40 days, I got my RC card so I decided to visit nearest KVB branch for updating the account. Surprisingly they just asked me to submit an application on plain paper along with RC copy and my ID proof. Job was done in 5 minutes and later in the day, RC number was reflecting in my Fastag account !! So now the tag is all set and I do not have to remember / type long VIN number anymore.
Like I said earlier, the IDFC desktop portal seems to be the best for updation of VIN to RC - though a white paper application is not too cumbersome. So next time, if you have the choice, go with IDFC perhaps?!

Quote:
Hope someone is listening !!
If only my friend, if only.
Old 16th December 2021, 19:14   #5928
Senior - BHPian

Just received a SMS today in the evening that 70 Rs has been dedcuted from myFast tag wallet at Anewadi Toll Plaza which is close to Satara in Maharasthtra while my car is parked at my home in Mumbai.

Called up the HDFC fast tag helpline about the same, they asked to submit via mail pics of the car, RC book and a statement of the wallet to their disputes department. Have submitted the details and awaiting response.

My car is not even used much due the pandemic situation. Since Mar 2020 till date it has done only ~600 kms more. Magically it has travelled to Anewadi which is more than 250 kms from my home.

I hope the issue gets solved.
Old 16th December 2021, 19:35   #5929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Just received a SMS today in the evening that 70 Rs has been dedcuted from myFast tag wallet at Anewadi Toll Plaza which is close to Satara in Maharasthtra while my car is parked at my home in Mumbai.

Called up the HDFC fast tag helpline about the same, they asked to submit via mail pics of the car, RC book and a statement of the wallet to their disputes department. Have submitted the details and awaiting response.

My car is not even used much due the pandemic situation. Since Mar 2020 till date it has done only ~600 kms more. Magically it has travelled to Anewadi which is more than 250 kms from my home.

I hope the issue gets solved.
This is the reason I didn't get my FastTag connected to any bank account. My Paytm fastag is like prepaid recharge, if I top-up then only the amount gets deducted at toll plaza else not.

Check if you could transfer your hdfc fastag to prepaid system like Paytm fastag. This will be the ultimate solution.
Sushil Pingua is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2021, 21:01   #5930
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushil Pingua View Post
This is the reason I didn't get my FastTag connected to any bank account.
Your FasTag account need not be linked to your bank and you can still expect the amount to get deducted if the operator/NCPI processes the payment on a later day/date from the date of your travel. This is even when you don't have balance, the amount will still get deducted from the associated tag and can even go negative. So the next time you recharge, the negative balance is adjusted accordingly.

As an example, you may have Rs.x as balance in the tag which is still active but when you cross the next toll booth when the amount is more than Rs. x, the tag balance will be debited with this amount with the balance going below the threshold (even negative).

At a toll booth, the system doesnt check for the balance in your tag. It checks whether your tag is "Active or Blacklisted", the former happens when the balance drops below the threshold (negative as of today).

Last edited by paragsachania : 16th December 2021 at 21:20.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2021, 19:01   #5931
BHPian

Getting delivery of my XUV 700 early next week. The dealer just activated the PayTM Fastag that they are giving along with the vehicle. I will anyway be using an ICICI Fastag that will be pasted on the windshield, instead of the PayTM one.

Just wanted to know whether the dealer gives some added balance in the PayTM Fastag during delivery, since they have charged 500/- for it; guessing 100/- is security deposit itself. I am planning to manually show this tag at Toll Plazas to first exhaust any balance in it, especially since I have paid some bucks for it and then activate my ICICI one.

Thanks in advance.
Old 19th December 2021, 11:46   #5932

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsroy View Post
Hi Jasraj, Can you please share your experience? Did you face any problems? I had also made the same mistake of sticking Fastag on left side like usual parking stickers and didn't travel on the highway since then. Now really worried if I need to replace it with a new one since I am driving to Goa from Bangalore in 10 days.
Hi,

Not travelled yet. So do not know how it goes. But based on earlier replies it should work. And a follow up query, do they still accept cash. I know we might have to pay double amount but it's ok
Old 19th December 2021, 13:29   #5933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasraj_jog View Post
And a follow up query, do they still accept cash. I know we might have to pay double amount but it's ok
I went to Karjat from Mumbai a month or so ago without a fast tag in my Civic. I was charged the normal toll amount everywhere. There were quite a few cars without a fast tag in queue and everything was like before fast tags came into existence.

Cheers
Old 19th December 2021, 14:04   #5934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
I went to Karjat from Mumbai a month or so ago without a fast tag in my Civic. I was charged the normal toll amount everywhere. There were quite a few cars without a fast tag in queue and everything was like before fast tags came into existence.
I hope you did not pass through the Fastag lane in that case, while paying cash. I have encountered a lot of cars which hold up the Fastag lane since they pay in cash, defeating the very purpose of dedicated Fastag lanes. Unfortunately in Maharashtra, I have not seen Toll Operators penalising people for entering the dedicated Fastag lanes without a tag; unlike in other states where the fine is strictly enforced. All Toll Plazas in Maharashtra just have signboards that denote penal action for offenders, but no real action is ever taken. Every time I have confronted the guy at the window for not taking any action against a certain errant car, the typical reply always is "Sir, hum kya kare!"
IamNikhil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2021, 16:58   #5935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
I hope you did not pass through the Fastag lane in that case, while paying cash
I did not, took the extreme left lane and as mentioned earlier all the cars before me were paying cash. There was no question of holding up anyone else.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 18:12   #5936

Quote:
AXIS Bank is different.
====
From my experience (mainly on toll booths at Attibele and at Elevated Highway). No amount of incentiviation will work - unless it is like people get paid for using this roads instead of them paying any thing. There are still people who barge into all lines without having FasTag; and then starts arguing as well. I have this uncanny ability to be next in line behind such vehicles (and thus lose out on any FasTag advantage).
Hi Sachin,

I have downloaded the axis Bank mobile app, how do I recharge my fast tag ? I am not an axis Bank customer. When i login it shows my old multi currency forex card :-)

Thanks
Jasraj

Last edited by Jaggu : 20th December 2021 at 18:50. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
Old 20th December 2021, 19:35   #5937
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have downloaded the axis Bank mobile app, how do I recharge my fast tag ? I am not an axis Bank customer.
No need for the app. Just use your UPI app to pay <netc.vehiclenumber@axisbank>.

I use it seamlessly on HDFCB & ICICIB, and assume AxisB will be the same.
Old 21st December 2021, 11:36   #5938
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When i login it shows my old multi currency forex card :-)
1. Do you see an Add Account option in the App? Use that to add any other Savings Bank account (it can be from another bank).
2. You need to configure a UPI ID, which would be like abc@axisbank.
3. Then you need to add a beneficiary using Manage Beneficiary option.
4. Create a beneficiary with the UPI option in the following format netc.<<vehiclenumber>>@axisbank (eg: netc.KA03XX1234@axisbank).
5. Now use the "Send" option to transfer the money from the account you have setup in Step #1. Choose the vehicle beneficiary you have configured in Step #4 as the recipient.

NOTE: One Advantage of using AxisBank App. I have configured all my Savings bank accounts with AxisBank UPI IDs. Can send and receive funds to all these accounts quite easily.
Old 21st December 2021, 17:50   #5939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post

Just wanted to know whether the dealer gives some added balance in the PayTM Fastag during delivery, since they have charged 500/- for it; guessing 100/- is security deposit itself. I am planning to manually show this tag at Toll Plazas to first exhaust any balance in it, especially since I have paid some bucks for it and then activate my ICICI one.

Thanks in advance.
Your Paytm fastag would have costed 100 for Tag, and 150 in reserved balance. Assume you may have a balance of 250 in the wallet for usage from the 500 you had paid for it.
Old 22nd December 2021, 13:09   #5940
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Not travelled yet. So do not know how it goes. But based on earlier replies it should work. And a follow up query, do they still accept cash. I know we might have to pay double amount but it's ok

Even I want to know. Are there non-Fastag lanes in Toll-Plazas on NH8 between Bangalore and Hubli ? If yes, do they charge normal or double ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks