Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2016, 09:49   #1
BHPian

Child pops head out of the sunroof; killed by manjha!

Letting your kids peep through the sun roof, could be fatal. Child killed by manjha ‘couldn’t even shout, died in father’s lap’

Apparently, the kid's throat got slit by manjha (kite string) while she had her head out of the sunroof in a moving car. Heart wrenching to say the least!

Child pops head out of the sunroof; killed by manjha!-death_7c1f778663e311e698ff20252d6fa197.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 17th August 2016 at 15:09. Reason: Adding pic & moving out
Masda is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 15:11   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Child pops head out of the sunroof; killed by manjha!

Thanks for sharing, Masda! Moving your post out to its own thread; there are many who need a reminder of just how dangerous this practice is. On a recent trip to Lonavla, I lost count of the number of kids (sometimes two together) with their heads out of the sunroof.
GTO is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 15:12   #3
Team-BHP Support

Unfortunately, there were two such cases within hours of each other.

http://www.ndtv.com/delhi-news/chine...es-ban-1444989

Last edited by Eddy : 17th August 2016 at 15:45.
Eddy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 15:25   #4
BHPian

I was out on the ring road on 15th of August. Weather was indeed pleasant and there were actually too many kids standing in the cars with heads out of the sunroof, I spotted at least 4 in 30 minutes of my journey. And also too many kite flyers all over the place. There could have been more such deaths/ incidents like these that day. Ideally there should have been none, but alas.

Last edited by avingodb : 17th August 2016 at 15:30. Reason: made it more appropriate
Old 17th August 2016, 15:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

Very very sad to know about the incidence.

No point in criticizing the grief stricken parents now. They have lost the invaluable life of their child. Let us at least spread the news of this incident everywhere on social media including whatsapp. This shall help to avoid such incidents in future.

Since long, the T-BHP has been already warning against such practices. It is better if the car dealers too warn against this during the pre-delivery briefing.
Old 17th August 2016, 15:30   #6
BHPian

That is really saddening, but could it not happen to just about any two wheeler rider as well???
crdi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 15:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

It could happen to a two wheeler rider and would be just as sad. But what makes this ironic is that people are buying expensive vehicles equipped with airbags and the like and then exposing their children to the same level of risk that a two wheeler carries with it.
Sawyer is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 15:37   #8
BHPian

Very sad news indeed.

The idea of sticking out your head from sunroof is very alluring, also the glorification of such acts on silver screens or by people around us doesn't help much. Though I don't own a car with sunroof but I always long for it to own.

A thought always runs through my mind, are there any traffic rules for such things? Are there any restrictions on way how to use sunroof anywhere in the world? Any Do's and Don't's?
Old 17th August 2016, 15:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

I think this manjha crap needs to be handled very fast urgently. A long time killer of birds, now even humans are victims. I have heard similar news peaking in Jan-Feb.

The kids peeked out of the sunroof, but a biker/bicyclist is ever at risk with these killer threads. My wife's eye was spared by a few milimeters but she got cut on the nose on a motorcycle. While flying kite is a great old tradition and culture and all, it is high time to curb it and limit it to designated open spaces, because roads are not for threads that kill, period.
ani_meher is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 15:56   #10
Team-BHP Support

Awful.

I see small kids with half their bodies sticking out of the sunroof far too often these days; parents should know better.

Kids typically stand on the hand rest which itself is barely enough support. A sudden acceleration/braking by the driver can lead to further accidents due to injury to the neck/spine.

Agree that the sunroof is an attraction for the kids; shouldn't parents understand the risks and be firm?!
libranof1987 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 15:58   #11
BHPian

Very sad incident and can't just imagine the situation of the parents. Manjha is a deadly bird killer and now a child killer too. After all, it is high time the authorities ban Manjha in their respective States.

Just to mention, Karnataka has banned use of Manjha very recently and hope other States follow suit.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/53311070.cms

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 17th August 2016 at 15:58. Reason: Edit
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 15:58   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
because roads are not for threads that kill, period.
Our problem is how our past and present is being rapidly telescoped into the future with radical consequences everywhere, and this is just one example. Cows on the road are another - I would love to see them disappear as well, but this too isn't going to happen overnight. A cow coming in the way of a two wheeler can have equally fatal results for the humans involved.

Things will become a lot worse before they get better, unfortunately. One can only remain alert, careful and even then, pray for the best.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 16:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

OT : My blood boils at few of the things happening in our country where everyone wants it banned and they are still happening.
One is Chinese Manjha, Acid attacks, Milk and Food Adulteration & Fake Medicines.
All these offences must carry Capital punishments.
carwatcher is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 16:15   #14
BHPian

I thought riding on a bike with a kid was more risky, now a days I am hearing lot of such instances with the car as well, this is reaching out to a whole new level of treacherous act.

Just today I heard from my friend that, his cousin's kid [boy of 2.5 years] opened the car door while the car was running at minimum speed and passenger along with the kid fell down and where the kid was unhurt and passenger suffered fracture on the left shoulder.

This is surely a mistake for not locking the door or lack of vigilance, but imagine the consequences if this had happened on a highway or busy road.

Regards,
-Badri
Old 17th August 2016, 16:34   #15
BANNED

I just cannot understand as to how parents can allow kids (or almost infants) to stand with their heads out on the top of the cars. These fellows are Criminals imho.

Yes, manjha is a social issue, has always been. A sturdy thread coated with a mixture of glass powder and glue is pretty lethal. But then it has always been that way. I think it has been banned, but how well and how will the ban be enforced.
sgiitk is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed