Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2016, 13:59   #1
Senior - BHPian

Now schedule Uber rides up to 30 days in advance

Uber India has introduced a new 'schedule your ride' feature in its platform that allows users to book a ride, up to 30 days in advance. This feature is currently available in 20 cities in the country, out of Uber's current operational base of 28 cities. It will also be available for users who use Uber for Business, which is the company's dedicated corporate travel management platform.

Uber's regular cancellation policy will be applied to the scheduled rides as well. Customers can cancel their rides at any time, provided the driver hasn't started for picking them up. In order to ensure seamless communication and management, Uber will be sending two ride reminders to the customer, one before the day of the ride, and the other 30 minutes before the scheduled ride time.

Interestingly, just before the scheduled ride time, the app will also notify the users whether or not they need to pay for the ride in advance, as per Uber's dynamic pricing scheme. Under dynamic pricing, the app measures the ride fare even before the trip begins, by taking into account the travel time, distance, traffic, surge, and tolls applicable. Regular payment options, including cash and wallet, will be available in the schedule the ride feature as well.

Ola had launched a similar ride scheduling provision in 2013, even before Uber's official entry into the Indian cab aggregator space.

Source: MediaNama

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 23rd September 2016 at 14:24.
dZired is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 15:09   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
re: Now schedule Uber rides up to 30 days in advance

Doesn't seem to have gone live yet. In Bangalore. Trying to schedule a ride this evening.
Not happening.
Old 26th September 2016, 15:01   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Now schedule Uber rides up to 30 days in advance

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Doesn't seem to have gone live yet. In Bangalore.
Likewise. Not seeing it out here either.

Can be a useful feature for those early morning airport runs where you absolutely need a cab. Although, whatever the day or time, 99% I wanted an Uber, I got one in less than 10 minutes. This could just add that peace-of-the-mind factor via a guaranteed booking.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2016, 15:30   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Doesn't seem
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Likewise
This update shows in Delhi. Became active after the last app update couple of days ago.
Old 26th September 2016, 15:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

https://www.uber.com/info/scheduled-rides/
talk about misleading advertising
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Ad
Peace of mind
Even when you have a flight to catch at the crack of dawn, rest assured your Uber will be there when you need it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Disclaimer
Uber actively monitors availability to ensure that a car will arrive during the period you schedule a ride, but does not guarantee your scheduled ride.
So much for peace of mind. At least traditional operators will apologize if a cab is not available, and try to do something about it.
greenhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2016, 23:44   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Funny

My average Uber scheduling experience goes as follows :

ETA - 4 mins > 2 mins later - 15 mins ETA> 5 minutes later - Now Arriving > 6 more minutes later - Arrived.

They can't work their way out of delayed scheduling with minutes left and they're introducing advance booking? May the cosmic powers help the customer.

BTW I don't see the big deal here, they merely schedule an auto-request signal to be sent out to cabbies nearby (maybe with a cushion of 30-60 mins prior for better accuracy of arrival). I don't think cabs will be scheduled immediately as their point of location will be an unknown.

Not blaming Uber too much here, as I depend on them quite a lot too. I just believe they work BEST when ordered whenever necessary and also by keeping a 15 minute cushion for either delay or early arrival. The software even though miles better than OLA, is not at all accurate.. its just a computerised guesstimation rather than real-world numbers. Useful a night prior for airport-travellers this one indeed is.
Old 27th September 2016, 00:11   #7
BHPian

I've used this feature in Pune for an airport drop. Worked as expected, there was a 1.2x surge though, as it was around 730PM on a Friday night. They give a 15 minute window for the cab's ETA, so generally the cab arrives within that band.
Old 10th November 2016, 02:54   #8
Team-BHP Support

With the Rs 1000/500 ban, I booked an Uber for midnight. First guy pulls ups sees suitcase and says he is too sleepy. I tell him to cancel. Get a message that he could not find the apartment.

Luckily, I book again and get a cab willing to take me! A close shave. Will still stick with Meru/Mega once the currency issues ease up

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks