Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2016, 11:57   #46
BHPian

Re: Video: Karnataka man comes up with innovative parking solution for his Zen

This is really an amazing and intelligent way to utilize space which often go unused .In Bangalore particularly with ever increasing vehicles and population ,this innovative way is a good way to save space and keep road parking clutter free.
Old 8th October 2016, 01:02   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Back to the drawing board! Another day, another challenge.

Real drivers put one hand on the passenger seat and look over their left shoulder

Seriously, though, that is what I was taught, very strictly to do: look in the direction the car is going in, and not use the mirrors for reversing. The stiffness of age is making this harder, but I actually find it hard to reverse for any distance looking in the mirror. But I'd say that, for very close work, mirrors are good for lining up.
True, with stiffening neck and back, I too find it difficult to stay twisted backward if the reversing process is long, yet have not learnt to go simply by looking into mirrors. So I keep doing calisthenics -- look left, peer out right ,into mirror, twist backwards etc. Guess it depends on how you have been trained ! But I still stop and watch when anybody backs into a narrow slot simply by using mirrors, particularly if it is a modern SUV with a tiny rear window (and without parking aids like sensors & camera). Then I tell myself, what about truck, delivery van, and bus drivers ? They have no view over the shoulder, but have to rely on outside mirrors and helper only.

I do not think an Estilo will fit in there, unless he demolishes the stairs, not even a Nano ! He may have to go back to M800, or maybe Datsun Go ! I would hate to be forced to restrict my choices like that , is all.
Hats off, all the same !
SnakemanJohny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2016, 02:42   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny View Post
... Then I tell myself, what about truck, delivery van, and bus drivers ? They have no view over the shoulder, but have to rely on outside mirrors and helper only. ...
You have me there! In fact what about an articulated truck

Whilst I could say that they get appropriate training, the same difficulties and skills are there with a car towing a large trailer.
Old 8th October 2016, 07:12   #49
Senior - BHPian

I've yet to see the SUV sold for personal use where the dealer doesn't throw in parking sensors or reverse cam as an accessory.

If you don't buy that it is at your own risk. Hell, my last car was a ritz but with the same high stance and tiny rear window issue, and while backing out of my apartment parking I managed to run over a stray dog that was sleeping in the path.

She usually hung around there but again usually had the sense to move away, and I couldn't see it at all as I have to back down a slight incline to get to the road. Ran over her - after years of feeding her up and petting her (would have made her a house pet except that I have a small apartment and my wife doesn't really like dogs) :( Reverse parking sensors weren't of much use - that was a small dog and liked to sleep under cars on a hot day so the sensors would completely miss her.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2016, 17:13   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I've yet to see the SUV sold for personal use where the dealer doesn't throw in parking sensors or reverse cam as an accessory.
True, mostly. Agree with the tiny rear window on Ritz. In fact, most cars are also going in for small rear window and smaller rear door glasses... maybe to cut the sunlight input in a mostly hot country. Add to that the neck restraints, and you have very little visibility.

Sad about the dog ! Even though I usually drive a 5-door Gypsy with enormous rear window and excellent view with the rear backrest folded when only the front seats are occupied, I fitted both sensors and camera, to avoid running over stray dogs, or even bumping into any other low/small obstacles. I have five dogs of my own and about ten strays outside the house who keep reproducing. Recently read in The Times Of India that the Supreme Court has ordered that all new cars from 2018 should be equipped with both camera and sensors, and old cars will also have to comply, as a private petitioner had argued that children are not always visible in RVMs, and tend to get run over ! Anybody else seen this ? Smells like some manufacturer taking help of the courts to sell his wares ! So during the Dussehra breaks, I have put in sensors and camera myself, with the help of AMAZON.IN, on my wife's Alto, too. Our third four-wheeler, The Dzonga(Jonga), will not be so easy to tackle, with thick steel bumpers, so I will let it be for the time being.

As for Ginathome-saab's observation, I wonder how trailer towing amateurs manage, in the US or elsewhere ? Do they get special training before they are allowed to tow ? Or do they just 'crash & learn' ?
SnakemanJohny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2016, 23:23   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... As for Ginathome-saab's observation, I wonder how trailer towing amateurs manage, in the US or elsewhere ? Do they get special training before they are allowed to tow ? Or do they just 'crash & learn' ?
Haha, I always wanted a Saab car!

When I was about five years old, my parents, who were quite adventurous, gave up hotel holidays and bought a caravan that they towed behind the car. I reckon it was pretty difficult to control in reverse. My father picked it up as he went along. Which, I suppose, is how he learnt driving in the first place.

(British driving test, it seems, 1934; he was born in 1913)
Old 9th October 2016, 17:04   #52
BHPian

Had he parked the car outside, the zen would have looked dull.Really appreciate him because many times I had heard people telling ideas to tackle parking situation like these.But this man made that step, especially considering the fact that this has been designed for a home environment and not for a business venture.
Modifications and fine tunings can be done,but really appreciate him.Hope more experiments will follow.
spoiler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2016, 22:22   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Haha, I always wanted a Saab car!

When I was about five years old, my parents, who were quite adventurous, gave up hotel holidays and bought a caravan that they towed behind the car. I reckon it was pretty difficult to control in reverse. My father picked it up as he went along. Which, I suppose, is how he learnt driving in the first place.

(British driving test, it seems, 1934; he was born in 1913)
Those were the days, Ginathom Saab, of large petrol engines and cheap fuel, when most cars could tow. I had always dreamt of owing a caravan/motorhome/RV, to save hassles of hotel booking and freedom to stop for the night at remote villages without tourist-shelters. But retired now, can only own/drive tiny cars which can barely haul their own passengers ! Real SUVs with powerful engines are rare and expensive ! Motor caravans are not made here (except by customisers like DC - Dilip Chhabria) and you cannot haul without special permit, I hear. And trailer-camp facilities not being available is the smallest of problems. One way out would be to customise a Force/Tata Microbus, but an expensive vehicle like that would be lying idle most of the time !!
Old 11th October 2016, 00:40   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Those were the days, Ginathom Saab, of large petrol engines and cheap fuel, when most cars could tow.
My memory is unclear, but it would have been around 1957-ish, and I think that my parents were driving Ford Consul or Zephyr at that time. I don't think it was anything super-powerful, and there were some hills that beat the combination if Dad had to stop and start again.

We travelled some steep and narrow lanes. Manoeuvring, forwards and reverse, was absolutely prime requirement. I have never been as good a driver as my father or my mother were. Mum would probably have reversed onto that guy's parking machine in her 80s. Me... it's all I can do to park neatly these days
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2016, 21:39   #55
BHPian

That's one insane parking. When he moved the ramp with car on it under the stairs, it seemed like a climax of a movie. I watched the end of this whole act with one eye closed with a fear that it may scratch.

But, commendable! Thanks for sharing
mksureshhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 20:04   #56
BHPian

Another parking hack here:
Pferdestarke is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 21:07   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
Another parking hack here:
Wow. I wouldn't try that on a surface three times the width.
Old 9th August 2017, 23:39   #58
Senior - BHPian

OMG

How can someone do that daily ? These guys in the hills are nothing short of awesome. I am a regular to Darjeeling, their skills and precision are second to none in the city.
Old 10th August 2017, 02:10   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
How can someone do that daily?
Because they do it daily

Except, of course, that that is something one could not afford to do by trial and error.

And, perhaps, because they do it all day. Even here, I creep through a gap with over a foot on each side, where many a cabby would barely even slow down. Judging exact width, or precise position of tyres on ground, and not my best skills. I not only know it, but have paid the price for overestimating them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks