Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2016, 01:37   #16
BHPian

re: Video: Karnataka man comes up with innovative parking solution for his Zen

In the process of creating rail for his car-stower is he not making the footpath not accessible to public. Would have preferred a cleaner solution for rails like we have for at grade crossing
DWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 04:56   #17
BANNED

re: Video: Karnataka man comes up with innovative parking solution for his Zen

I wonder what happens when the tree gets taller, and the trunk gets wider. I am sure he would invent some contraption to deal with that as well. Need to wait and watch.

BTW, the Zen is registered with Karnataka/Mangalore RTO (KA19). The owner Vinod Kumar has subscribed to TV9 Kannada and such. I think he is a Karnataka man, and not a Kerala Man.
prasadee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 06:04   #18
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fortuner: Insane parking!

Footpath accessible to the public doesn't seem to be a thing here - it is a narrow lane with houses and barely enough space for two cars and god help you if it is a tata ace or school van that is coming from the other side, it requires cooperation between the riders to drive at the extreme sides of the road and stop while the other inches past.

This is quite common for people who live in narrow lanes AND have to park a car. Very similar situation whenever I park outside my uncle's home in a crowded part of Bangalore.

And in my home - there's a narrow corridor - barely inches more than a car's width - through which I have to drive forward or reverse and then turn at an angle - because of 3 cars parked in a row on one side, and the building wall on the other. Take a look. Oh, there is a bullet parked a bit ahead of my car so the amount of space I have to go forward before I reverse out at an angle is severely limited.

I lost count of the number of minor scratches (usually against the wall - I prefer that to scratching someone else's ride and having to shell out for that too!!) I had before I got the hang of what needed to be done here.

Video: Karnataka man comes up with innovative parking solution for his Zen-image3.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 5th October 2016 at 08:14. Reason: Rotated image and uploaded.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 11:37   #19
BHPian

Re: Video: Karnataka man comes up with innovative parking solution for his Zen

Not sure why he took so much trouble spending time and money for this. Look closely the front gate of his house is easily 15 feet wide and the distance between the front door and the gate must be close to 10 feet.

He could have easily made this as his parking lot and the area below stair case for 2 wheeler parking. May be he dint want the porch to be occupied

But I have to agree though that what he is has done is very clever and neat, which doesn't obstruct anyone.

Regards
Old 4th October 2016, 12:05   #20
Senior - BHPian

A friend commented after seeing this video on whatsapp "this person has spent more on this contraption than the price of the car itself!" Good thing that he saved the tree though. But given the small trunk of the tree, it could have been cut and similar sapling planted at a better location, I think.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 12:24   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
"this person has spent more on this contraption than the price of the car itself!" Good thing that he saved the tree though. But given the small trunk of the tree, it could have been cut and similar sapling planted at a better location, I think.
Maybe it gave him more fun and satisfaction than the car itself! The satisfaction factor must be enormous!

And if he really is an engineer/mechanic, with the skills to make this thing himself, I don't think the materials cost would be that high?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 12:29   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
A friend commented after seeing this video on whatsapp "this person has spent more on this contraption than the price of the car itself!" Good thing that he saved the tree though. But given the small trunk of the tree, it could have been cut and similar sapling planted at a better location, I think.
This is a minor modification of what malls call puzzle parking to park one car atop the other.

Ingenious but if he can park it behind that telephone pole why not just do that?

Plus those metal pathways and wedges are hell on the tyres, more work for the handbrake / brake shoe being parked on an incline like that etc etc.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 12:44   #23
Senior - BHPian

Wouldn't have cost much.
Given the space constraints, his solution to have a closed and safe parking spot for his car is ingenious. Cute car too that Zen !
Old 4th October 2016, 16:03   #24
BHPian

What did I just see!!!!Brilliant!!

There are many cons to this arrangement as many have pointed out but this is the worst case scenario that he has considered for building this setup. An obstructing tree, a sloping stair and a space just as much to fit a zen.
This setup(sans the slope) can be used by many of us where we have narrow spaces where the car can be slid in but not driven in.
Old 4th October 2016, 16:24   #25
BHPian

As Thad said, the joy of getting this done would have more than compensated him. What if we simply assume he did it as a hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
The weight of the car, when parked, is biased towards the front. That's more load on the front suspension and other components.
Ok this made me think. I have a slight ramp where I park my Civic and usually reverse before parking, thus the weight is a bit laden toward the front. Would it be advisable to not do so ?
Old 4th October 2016, 17:48   #26
Senior - BHPian

I saw this video, its amazing to even have thought about it.
Just my 2 cents ( not sure if this can be done )

In this case platform is inclined, how about a design where platform is flat, guy reverses over that platform and only rear end is raised by means of a motor or some mechanism? ( Maybe remote controlled )

I believe same result can be achieved in that way, which can save that guy the difficult task of reversing up on that ramp, and also inconvenience of getting in and out of car when its at that height.
Old 4th October 2016, 22:21   #27
BHPian

Immaculately maintained Zen, look at the red color glow. Beautiful.

Well deserved ingenuity for a well maintained car.
Crazy_cars_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2016, 06:00   #28
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Totally amazing parking scenario!

What phenomenal ingenuity and "jugaad"!
Wow!
Old 5th October 2016, 06:37   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
...how about a design where platform is flat, guy reverses over that platform and only rear end is raised by means of a motor or some mechanism? ( Maybe remote controlled )
Though your solution seems a bit more handy, it would demand more parts and another motor, possibly a powerful one to lift the ramp which translates to more expenditure. Instead, he relied on his skills and saved some bucks!
Old 5th October 2016, 09:40   #30
BHPian

Hats off to his ingenuity ! I mean see the clearance near the bonnet edge ! while most of us would just park on the pavement and leave it there.

Showed the video to my colleagues and they were like "woow"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks