Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2016, 14:12   #31

Re: Video: Karnataka man comes up with innovative parking solution for his Zen

Smart piece of work - though I would look at this more as a long term storage solution when I am out of town for a few days or during very bad weather.
Old 5th October 2016, 14:57   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
...In this case platform is inclined, how about a design where platform is flat, guy reverses over that platform and only rear end is raised by means of a motor or some mechanism? ( Maybe remote controlled )...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
...more parts and ANOTHER motor, possibly a powerful one to lift the ramp...
Adding a motor means more expenditure, maybe more expertise & more maintenance. This invention looks absolutely maintenance free to me! Except for a little oil and grease!

Also, is there a first motor at all? If yes, why can't it be used to pull the car back into the stowing space?
Old 5th October 2016, 17:37   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Also, is there a first motor at all? If yes, why can't it be used to pull the car back into the stowing space?
Please watch the video closely from 0:37 onwards, the ramp is motorized and comes out with a whirring noise when he turns it on. But the motor seems to be a puny one to actually pull in the loaded ramp. May be his math went wrong here!
Old 5th October 2016, 18:46   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... May be his math went wrong here!
Yes. This might have been the point where decided to give himself 9/10 and quit while winning. Also, the motor is controlled from inside.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 04:07   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Please watch the video closely from 0:37 onwards, the ramp is motorized and comes out with a whirring noise when he turns it on. But the motor seems to be a puny one to actually pull in the loaded ramp. May be his math went wrong here!

Notice, at 3:15, that the motor is able to push out the loaded platform. Doesn't look like the person is pushing it out. Motor Should be enough to pull in too?
Old 6th October 2016, 05:34   #36
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakri400 View Post
Notice, at 3:15, that the motor is able to push out the loaded platform. Doesn't look like the person is pushing it out. Motor Should be enough to pull in too?
The motor needs a reverse gear, or a bi-directional motor. That would be his v2.0.
prasadee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 06:39   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

@prasadee all you need to reverse two phases to get reverse direction.

Ingenious solution that meets his needs and creating space out of nothing.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 14:09   #38
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Smart but DUMB. Is what comes to my mind.

I would NOT want to do this with my car or space for sure, so easy to get a nick. Plus the effort.

I can visualize that this keeps the owner fit since one would select to walk or use public transport or another owned vehicle like a 2 wheeler for all short trips.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 14:20   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Smart but DUMB. Is what comes to my mind. ...
Well, I'm too dumb for it. I'd never manage all those potential hazards to the car each and every time I used it. But that I wouldn't be good enough for the solution doesn't make it a bad solution for him.

To be fair to myself, everyone who has to drive or park regularly in a tight space gets the knack of it, and that includes me, but that knack can sometimes cost a scuff or even a small dent. Depends on the skill level. Cab drivers don't even slow down for gaps that I crawl through.
Old 6th October 2016, 14:33   #40
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Well, I'm too dumb for it. I'd never manage all those potential hazards to the car each and every time I used it. But that I wouldn't be good enough for the solution doesn't make it a bad solution for him.

To be fair to myself, everyone who has to drive or park regularly in a tight space gets the knack of it, and that includes me, but that knack can sometimes cost a scuff or even a small dent. Depends on the skill level. Cab drivers don't even slow down for gaps that I crawl through.
Oh I do drive through the narrowest of spaces with the largest of vehicles. That said the time taken to park even by this gentleman (who obviously has a bit of practise) is too high for it to be acceptable for me.

Yes people have to at times even park their car in a garage at a bit of a distance from their house for safety from car robbers (rather than parking on the street), but that again is something that somehow does not appeal as a good solution.

In this case if it was required to keep the passage way clear than a simpler, safer & in my view better solution would have been to keep a 4 poster lift in the passage way and raise the car up when parked keeping the base clear for through fare (presuming that is why he does not part the car in the open space adjacent to the stairway.

Last edited by ACM : 6th October 2016 at 14:35.
Old 6th October 2016, 16:23   #41
BHPian

Hats off to his skills : in problem solving, designing, manufacturing, installing, and finally driving. Many or all of which might have been done by others, but the execution of each day's parking has to be done and redone perfectly ! It is something like threading a needle without the thread even touching the inner sides of the 'eye'. From the rear wheel stop (so that the bumper does not hit) to the shaved plaster on the underside of the stairs, everything has been engineered precisely !

I only wonder, what if his Zen crashes and he has to buy an Estillo ?
I also wonder, how do people execute such perfect reversing with windows closed, just by looking into mirrors ? The Zen did not seem to have any sensors or camera fitted onto the rear bumper !
SnakemanJohny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 17:25   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny View Post
I only wonder, what if his Zen crashes and he has to buy an Estillo ?
Back to the drawing board! Another day, another challenge.
Quote:
I also wonder, how do people execute such perfect reversing with windows closed, just by looking into mirrors ? The Zen did not seem to have any sensors or camera fitted onto the rear bumper !
Real drivers put one hand on the passenger seat and look over their left shoulder

Seriously, though, that is what I was taught, very strictly to do: look in the direction the car is going in, and not use the mirrors for reversing. The stiffness of age is making this harder, but I actually find it hard to reverse for any distance looking in the mirror. But I'd say that, for very close work, mirrors are good for lining up.
Old 6th October 2016, 18:12   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny View Post
I have driven the Zen for a bit and feel it is nimble enough and you really get to know where the exterior of the car ends on all sides very quick so it is really easy to drive and park.
sjcherian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 19:28   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Back to the drawing board! Another day, another challenge.
Nope. My guess is that he has the blueprint figured out and merely needs to adjust proportions to suit whatever new small hatchback that he buys.

If there is sufficient clearance under his staircase to fit an estilo that works fine.

The rest of it - width of the runners, where the rear wheel backstop should be etc are all likely to be adjustable on that rig.

Height / width of the staircase gap is going to be the only limiting factor.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 21:02   #45
BHPian

Very ingenious approach! A clean and compact parking solution, which is closed and doesn't obstruct the main entrance of the house (which it will do, if the car is parked in the space in front of the house)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckystryker View Post
Smart piece of work - though I would look at this more as a long term storage solution when I am out of town for a few days or during very bad weather.
Yes, this sounds a more practical approach. i.e, using this only for a slightly longer parking time - say few days or so. Parking it during the day where it needs to be taken out frequently, may be a bit painful.

But let's not dig holes in approach, but appreciate the sheer simplicity and brilliance of this guy!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks