Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2016, 09:19   #1
BHPian

To the Chennai Airport: Bike vs Car vs Metro

The Hindu has a funny article on 3 reporters trying to reach the airport from koyambedu using 3 different means of transports, though its not an apples to apples comparison still makes for a good read.

Quote:
Mode of transport: Car
Time taken: 41 minutes
Cost: Rs. 230
From where I stand, I can see the white building of the Metro Station, where my colleague is waiting for the next train to the airport.
A few feet away, I see my other colleague, helmeted, on an Activa, which to me, looks like the hind of a tamed bull ready to enter the fighting arena. With all the enthusiasm one can muster to fight what already seems like a lost battle, I book my cab to the airport.
Quote:
Mode of transport: Metro
Time taken: 40 minutes
Cost: Rs. 50
A large family is making its way into the CMBT Metro Station in Koyambedu. They’re taking in the sights and sounds of the station as they saunter onto the escalator. Clearly, they’re in no hurry.
But I am. I am in a race with two colleagues who’re taking the same route to reach the airport — but each of us has chosen a different mode of transport.
Quote:
Mode of transport: Bike
Time taken: 35 minutes
Cost: Rs. 65 for a litre of fuel (approx)
It’s about 5 p.m. on a Friday and the sun is still beating down mercilessly. But I don’t really mind. I’m race ready and all my concentration is on getting to the finish line. This particular finish line being Departure Gate Two at the Kamaraj Domestic Airport.
Here

Last edited by batterylow : 19th October 2016 at 09:23. Reason: Additional data
batterylow is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st November 2016, 21:19   #2
BHPian

Re: To the Chennai Airport: Bike vs Car vs Metro

I would say, the calculation should be done from home to lounge and not from the Metro station to lounge as the travel from home to Metro station is also a matter of concern (really a "big" concern as the last mile connectivity is always a question).

I assume if this race was done from home to lounge - everyone on their mark, ready to go, the guys book the CAB (one may drop the metro guy by his CAB to the nearest station), once the booking is done, the scooter wala starts from home, CAB and Metro guys wait till their CAB arrives, Metro wala is dropped at the station and then proceed to airport. In this scenario (from home), the scooter wala is definitely going to win. Again purely depending on the circumstances en-route to the airport (like traffic, if it is very light, CAB wala may eventually catch up with scooter and overtakes it).

If I am an "actual" traveler and if my luggage is light to medium, then I will use a combination of CAB+metro. If my luggage is really light (like a laptop + an overnight-er) then I may also ask someone at my home to drop me in bike or scooter (if they can and this purely depends on the situations). If I am traveling with family with normal to heavy luggage, then CAB would be better to avoid the hassles of transiting on the way.

I did this yesterday in Bangalore (not from airport) and here is how it went.
My train from Hubli reached Yeshwantpur at 6:45am.
I walked to the Yeshwantpur metro station which took a good 10 mins as I was having a slightly heavy trolley suitcase with me and outside the station, I didn't want to pull it, but lift it and go. Took the tickets and reached the station (2 levels up) in another 5 mins. In the mean time, I saw one train leaving the station. I waited for another 5 mins or so and got into the train which left at approx 7:05 am. And I reached Mantri Square station in ~15 mins. This costed me Rs.19/-.
From Mantri square station (which is the current last station on this leg), I came out, got into the bus (took ~5 mins) which took me to the Majestic Metro station in approx 15 mins. Being a holiday morning and that too Diwali, the rush was less, else, I am sure this could have taken upto 40 mins. This costed me Rs.12/-.
It took me 15mins to reach the platform from bus drop point after buying a new ticket (they wont issue a single ticket) and just missed the train and had to wait for the next one which took 15 mins. Majestic to Indiranagar, I covered in another 20 mins and this costed me Rs.22/-.
From Indiranagar Metro station, I walked up the road to the bus stop and got the bus to Vignan Nagar. Walking time + waiting time was approx 30 mins.
From Bus stop to Vignan Nagar, it took another 20 mins. Again, the traffic was really thing even at Tippasandra market area and I was purely lucky to cross this area so quickly. This costed me Rs.17/- (I feel in terms of VFM, this leg was the costliest).
From Vignan Nagar bus stand to my home, I had to walk (again lifting the luggage, as I didn't want to lug it on road) and this took a sweet 10 mins.
Overall cost was 19+12+22+17 = Rs.70/-
Overall time spent from Yeshwantpur to Vignan Nagar (door to door) is ~155mins.

Had I taken a CAB from Yashwantpur to Vignan Nagar (door to door), it would have costed me min Rs.250/- and also would have taken similar time since the traffic overall was thin, but for normal Bangalore traffic, I assume it would have taken atleast 25 mins more. However, there is no hassle of lugging the luggage everywhere.

Last edited by Jakku : 1st November 2016 at 21:40. Reason: to add matter.
Old 2nd November 2016, 05:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a metro advertisement I've had exactly 2 instances in 15 years when I've landed/departed the airport with minimal luggage. Have taken the bus out both times.

I'd say its unfair to compare the modes of transportation without luggage, and they should be done from door to terminal. Writing that there is space available for luggage is one thing, physical carrying one is another.

In this case, the metro fares being high (compared to MTC on the same route), is actually working for it, in terms of the crowd.

The one time I kept a close eye on timings to catch the 6AM Bangalore Shatabdi panned out like this: 3:55 home - 4:20 bus stop - bus arrives at 4:40 - 5:05 Central-5:10 platform.

Another interesting point is about bikes, the author mentions:

Quote:
Very practically, how many of us would ride a bike to the airport if we were actually travelling?
How many are ready in to drop you in their bike to the airport? At best would get to the nearest stop or metro station, which itself will be a rare occurrence.
Old 2nd November 2016, 07:03   #4
BHPian

It actually makes sense for weekly commuters. I travel to Hyderabad & Bangalore at least twice a month, for about 3-4 days. I carry just a back pack. Metro would make a lot of sense for me, IF, they get the mount road route operational.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks