Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2006, 18:11   #46
Senior - BHPian

It was 2100rs lifetime payment for bikes 2 years back. NOw its just 4300Rs and hence I dropped the idea of getting a road tax.

I am checking for teh option of paying for one or 2 yrs. Will keep you guys updated.
Old 31st October 2006, 18:13   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC
Does anyone has any idea about the amount i have to shell out to pay tax in KA?
nearly 10% of the car value I guess
Old 31st October 2006, 18:21   #48
kph
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
It was 2100rs lifetime payment for bikes 2 years back. NOw its just 4300Rs and hence I dropped the idea of getting a road tax.

I am checking for teh option of paying for one or 2 yrs. Will keep you guys updated.
....... 4yrs back I remember paying around 1800 for my 8 yr old RX. Now dont they fix the amount after cutting the depreciation. Any idea how they calculate it?
Also pls check how much for Car, in case if you visit RTO again. Pls check if any option for car to pay 1 or 2 yrs.

Last edited by kph : 31st October 2006 at 18:23.
Old 13th November 2006, 18:41   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC
Does anyone has any idea about the amount i have to shell out to pay tax in KA?
take a look at the link....
http://rto.kar.nic.in/ltta5-mcar.htm
Old 13th November 2006, 21:01   #50
BHPian

Thanks antonichen. That was exactly what i was looking for...
Old 12th January 2010, 11:04   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anToNIcHeN View Post
take a look at the link....
http://rto.kar.nic.in/ltta5-mcar.htm
Most of the old RTO links mentioned are no longer accessible or valid.

Any one has links to the new rules regarding lifetime tax payment for non-KA vehicles plying in Karnataka?

In Karnataka, is it still 10% of vehicle cost irrespective of the depreciation?

Thats freaking more than what I'd have paid while buying a new vehicle in AP and that too for plying on non-existent roads infrastructure of Bangalore
Old 12th January 2010, 11:29   #52
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK it is still 10% of the depriciated cost. but i was shocked to see this thread coming alive after 3 years of hybernation.
Old 12th January 2010, 12:14   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
Most of the old RTO links mentioned are no longer accessible or valid.

Any one has links to the new rules regarding lifetime tax payment for non-KA vehicles plying in Karnataka?

In Karnataka, is it still 10% of vehicle cost irrespective of the depreciation?

Thats freaking more than what I'd have paid while buying a new vehicle in AP and that too for plying on non-existent roads infrastructure of Bangalore

Follow this link,
http://rto.kar.nic.in/Taxation%20Ame...0TO%202008.doc

This is under RTO Services -> Fee, taxes and Fine on the main page left menu itself.

Its 12%, 13% and 16% based on the size and cost of the vehicle and then a %age of thie tax based on the age of the vehicle.

Last edited by dadu : 12th January 2010 at 12:18.
Old 12th January 2010, 15:10   #54
Senior - BHPian

You have 2 options.

1. Pay up the tax and finish it once and for all.

2. Once every 6 months, make a trip to Kerela. . . . .collect toll, fuel and any other reciepts showing that you are using the car in Kerela and only come to Blore once in a while.

Just to be on the safer side, make sure all your car papers including pollution certificate are upto-date.

PS : If you plan to settle down permanently in Karnataka, it would make more sense to sell your car in Kerela and buy a new one with a KA reg, instead of wasting 10% of the cost value on road tax.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 12th January 2010 at 15:15.
Old 12th January 2010, 19:00   #55
Senior - BHPian

Believe me folks, getting your registration number changed to KA is not worth the trouble. Its better that you sell ur car in the state where you bought it from and buy a new car here.

U are more likely to be stopped/caught. Even if all your documents are correct they will try to find a way to fine you. I've been accused of speaking over the mobile while driving and jumping a traffic signal when none of these happened. I put my foot down on both these occasions and the cops relented.

You have to keep your papers upto date. Carry all relevant documents.

It took me 10 months to change my number. I had to first take my car for an inspection, thankfully the inspector was all merciful and didn't find any problem in my car. It then took nearly 3 months to get the address changed to the current address.

After this you need to wait for 3 months and then reapply for number change. This process takes 3 months again. In my case it took longer as the RTO Bangalore insisted that they need a reply from Chennai RTO. The usual process is the Bangalore RTO will send a letter to the original registering RTO and if there is no response twice over, the number is sanctioned. In my case this didn't happen. Thankfully I had gone through Automobile Association of South India. They followed up with the Chennai RTO, got the letter, and got me the number. All for around 700 bucks.

I started this process in Feb 2008 and got my number last week. So would strongly suggest people selling off their cars and buying a new one here.
Old 12th January 2010, 20:38   #56
BHPian

The special eye on those vehicles which are registered in another state happens in every city in India . Cops will be extra 'interested ' in you and your vehicles if your vehicle has a registration from another state .

Thanks to all who have confirmed about the rules in such a case .

One of the incidents that I remember is when my bike was parked near Forum and was towed away on being parked in a no parking area , but sadly only my vehicle was missing though there were 2 more bikes parked beyond where I parked . Mine was attractive due to KL registration .
But when I went to the Adugodi station , the middlemen / those who help the cops to take the vehicle was so rude and even asked to sell my ring and pay them 1500 , while I was trying to negotiate with them . His 'request ' just made me so irritated and I directly went to the Police man and paid him Rs 300 including the towing charge . ( He also gave the bill ) .
Old 9th February 2010, 10:45   #57
Senior - BHPian

Does the option to pay just annual tax still exist?

I would be driving in a 5 year old MH car and be keeping it here for a period of 1-1.5 years. So paying the LTT does not make as much sense, and that's why I was thinking if I can just pay tax on an annual basis. And if so, is there calculation as to how the figure for the Road Tax is arrived upon? Like would it be some %age of the vehicle's current value (as declared in the Insurance)?

Or should I just get fuel bills from MH once every 6 months and manage the PUC too?

On the same lines, I have been using a TN registered bike for the past 1.5 years here in Bangalore. In the initial 6 months or so I was caught numerous times, but was usually left as I somehow used to manage to convince them that I was on a short trip from Chennai! . Off-late i.e. in the past 1 year, I have almost never been caught for a TN plate atleast. And I have a relatively high amount of running within city limits.
Old 9th February 2010, 11:01   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post

Or should I just get fuel bills from MH once every 6 months and manage the PUC too?
Can't one go upto Tumkur toll naka and come back with the toll receipts ?
Or can't someone from MH courier fuel bills on a regular basis ?

But all in all the cops are very smart. Even if you have toll receipts and fuel bills, if its not your day, you're finished. Its not that people with complete documentation are spared. Some or the other reason is always ready for instant cash withdrawal.
Sometimes I feel it is better to get caught and pay your way out rather than go the legal way. Coz ultimately every rule gets redesigned to fill up pockets of corrupt gov officers.
Old 9th February 2010, 11:18   #59
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

if one is moving between states in a transferable job, there is a way out - the company has to give a letter stating that the person has been transferred on duty. this can keep you going for about one year max.

but generally to avoid harassment it is probably easier and better to sell one's car in the state in which it was bought and buy another one when one moves to a new state.

i think it is about time the Government and the Transport authorities changed the rules - given the high incidence of people in service who are in transferable jobs and the relatively free movement of working people across the country, any car registered anywhere in India should have a right to live anywhere else in the country.

India is for all Indians kind of thing - all this parochial behaviour on the part of each state is absolute nonsense and should not be allowed by the Centre.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 9th February 2010 at 11:19.
Old 9th February 2010, 11:23   #60
Senior - BHPian

My folks are in Mumbai, they can courier me Mumbai receipts every now and then!

But as you rightly mentioned its upto the cop and his mood to let you go.

When I moved to Bangalore about 1.5 years back, I was told that I'd have to shell out about 6K (4.5K Tax+1.5K Broker) for paying LTT. I reckoned, I'd have to get caught 60 times to reach that amount. As 60 times x 100 bux = 6K LTT for my bike, so I decided just to pay the fine everytime I was caught. Till date have paid only 100 bux.

Since I might not be lucky with the car I was planning on paying the road tax atleast annually. But still considering it, not yet decided!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks