Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2013, 12:14   #76
BHPian

Re: Non KA registered vehicles not welcomed in Karnataka!!!???

Thanks guys for your quick and honest responses ! Makes me feel at home every time I ask for a suggestion on Team-bhp.

I can see a mixed bag of experiences when it comes to getting caught by the cops for a cross border vehicle. For me, the peace of mind is very important. Say if i get into some collision with a KA- vehicle, won't the cops and the mob be on the KA- side of the story ? I guess, there are chances that I might get a heavier penalty even if my involvement in the mishap was negligible. Welcoming more opinions on this! Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 12:35   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manzone799 View Post
I need some honest opinion from my fellow BHP'ians (esp. the ones who use KL- registered vehicles in BLR) whether i should go for KL-registered new car or buy the new car from BLR by shelling out an extra 50K (Thanks to Road tax!). Please advice, as i need to nail down the deal by this month end.
I would suggest going for KA reg vehicle if you plan to work in Blore for more than 5 years. I have driven my KL reg vehicle to Blore N number of times and was caught once (Elevated highway - for speeding). He saw my number and didnt ask any other details. This happened 2 years ago. I hear from my friends that they are a bit strict now and they have advised me to retain my toll tickets to show that am on a visit. I have even seen cops stopping non KL cars here in cochin. So guess it's strict nowadays everywhere.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 13:18   #78
BANNED

It is ridiculous that it is not enough to be a bonafide citizen of this country. One has to be resident of the state , have vehicles registered in that state, have address proof, etc etc. The Aadhars and UIDs are nowhere.

It is time that the Centre took a stand and insisted that all states impose uniform tax.
I dont suppose non-bonafide residents like illegal migrants, terrorists etc have to endure this trauma.
To do a Manmohan, I strongly condemn this situation
fiestarry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 14:14   #79
BANNED

@fiestarry; I think something is on the cards. 6% tax etc. but then th govt does not succeed in even 10% of what it tries.

See
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-states-4.html

Last edited by sgiitk : 26th August 2013 at 14:18.
Old 27th August 2013, 08:13   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manzone799 View Post
I can see a mixed bag of experiences when it comes to getting caught by the cops for a cross border vehicle. For me, the peace of mind is very important. Say if i get into some collision with a KA- vehicle, won't the cops and the mob be on the KA- side of the story ? I guess, there are chances that I might get a heavier penalty even if my involvement in the mishap was negligible. Welcoming more opinions on this! Thanks
No, I dont think you would be penalised more for having a Non KA registered car, but in case of accident with Autos or Cabs they might try to blame/intimidate you. Please dont think of these scenarios, its not a good situation either being in a KA or Non KA registered car.

There are 10s of Non KA registered cars in my office and they dont face any harrasment from police or public.

Just one case where my collegue's UP registered car had a No Parking ticket 4 years ago. He was caught again this year for no parking and when he landed up to pay the fine, he was told since now they have proof that he has been in the city for nearly 4 years Karnataka Road Tax had to be paid on a prorata basis. He did pay up without a fuss.

Being a local Bangalorean, I used to drive a MH registered palio in Bangalore. Never faced any issues.

Regards
chandrda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2013, 15:22   #81
Team-BHP Support

For peace of mind i would recommend getting the vehicle in KA any day. Issue is from RTO, there are areas in the city where RTO does checks and pulls up outstation vehicles which is always a hassle and worry, esp if you are new to the city. And yes non KA vehicle will attract more reaction from elements no matter what.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2013, 08:56   #82
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
For peace of mind i would recommend getting the vehicle in KA any day. Issue is from RTO, there are areas in the city where RTO does checks and pulls up outstation vehicles which is always a hassle and worry, esp if you are new to the city. And yes non KA vehicle will attract more reaction from elements no matter what.
Absolutely! If you're actually living/working in KA it's better to get it registered here. I know some folks who were using their vehicles in Bangalore (that were registered in other states), and when RTO made them pay up KA road tax, fines, etc it was a very stressful experience, not worth it
Old 29th August 2013, 09:26   #83
BANNED

I have seen umpteen KL and PY plates in Udupi-Manipal!
Old 29th August 2013, 09:56   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I have seen umpteen KL and PY plates in Udupi-Manipal!
That's because people drive over from Kerala a lot. The PY plate are since a little bit of Pondicherry exists in Mahe on the east Coast.

I also wonder what happens if one works for a company in Hosur and is supplied with a company car but lives in Bangalore.
Old 29th August 2013, 10:10   #85
BHPian

Bought car from outside state? Change registration now

BANGALORE: If you have bought a vehicle, registered it outside the state and dared to ply it in Karnataka, change the registration now. The transport department has fined 3,543 two-wheelers and 2,275 cars and collected a whopping Rs 17.73 crore worth arrears from 2011 to July 2013 in Bangalore alone.

Vehicle buyers choose to buy and register the vehicle in Kerala, Puducherry, Tamil Nadu and Goa as the lifetime tax in these states are lower by nearly 10 per cent than in Karnataka. The tax levied by Puducherry is the lowest because it is a union territory. Most coastal districts in Karnataka ply Goa registered vehicles and in Bangalore you can find high-end cars or bikes with registration numbers belonging to Kerala, Puducherry and Tamil Nadu.

Read the full article: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/22130513.cms
Old 29th August 2013, 10:11   #86
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
That's because people drive over from Kerala a lot. The PY plate are since a little bit of Pondicherry exists in Mahe on the east Coast.

I also wonder what happens if one works for a company in Hosur and is supplied with a company car but lives in Bangalore.
1. PY taxation is far lower. I hear the dealer arranges everything (for a fee of course)

2. I hear in Bangy they are specially after cars with co stickers. I know someone who was in Hyderabad and was transferred to Bangalore, and seemed to get stopped every day. Also, TN plates come it for special Aggro!
Old 29th August 2013, 10:16   #87
Team-BHP Support

The PY tax is the main attraction, even the recently departed Ferrari was PY reg even though the owner never lived there. However, Mahe being a PY union territory 200km means actual visitors actually drive over.
Old 29th August 2013, 14:18   #88
BHPian

When one decides to come and stay in KA then what's the problem with re registering the car? Getting caught and then pleading with the cops and paying bribes to get away is certainly not the right thing in the first place.

When everyone knows very well that non KA cars are target by the RTO and other elements resolve the issue at the root cause. Re register or buy one here. We have this thing of unnecessarily complicating things and then whining about it!
sumathindra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2013, 14:53   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
That would be a rare occurence because the checks are usually in front of large commercial spaces where non KA registration cars stick out, there are hardly any checks on the highway to Hosur.

I think the whole tax rate thing is over rated today, Kerala and TN have hiked tax rates. The thing I appreciate about Karnataka RTO is that unlike Kerala MVD , a notary affadavit serves as address proof, Kerala requires a ration card -owning a car is proof that you don't need a ration card.
Old 29th August 2013, 15:35   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
When one decides to come and stay in KA then what's the problem with re registering the car? Getting caught and then pleading with the cops and paying bribes to get away is certainly not the right thing in the first place.

When everyone knows very well that non KA cars are target by the RTO and other elements resolve the issue at the root cause. Re register or buy one here. We have this thing of unnecessarily complicating things and then whining about it!
Isn't the whole system of needing to pay road tax in every state separately un necessarily complicated already?

Its easy to say- re register or buy. However, the procedures for the same are even more unnecessarily complicated. I tried to register my KL registered bike in TN once and was made to run around so much, canceled the whole idea.

And let's say- we do pay the tax in KA. Getting the refund from original state of registration is even more unnecessarily complicated.

And for people like me- I'm now working in KA for an unpredictable duration, but my main office is in Chennai- and may need to go back anytime. Don't see it feasible to keep registering every where I am forced to travel.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks