Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2008, 12:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Challenging a traffic violation challan?

Hey guys,
I was kind of surprised to get a challan of Rs 100 yesterday, allegedly for wrong parking in Jubilee Hills area on Septemeber 22nd! It has the sender's name as 'I/C e-CHALLAN BRANCH, o/o The Commissioner of Police, Basheerbagh-Hyderabad' and was sent U.C.P. (under certificate of posting) and was despatched on May 13th, 2008. It alleges wrong parking/ no parking on Sep 22 at 1500 hours.
What surprises me is that I was never informed about wrong parking anytime. I did park my car once or twice on the main road beside my office, when the parking lot was full. But Sep 22nd was a Saturday, and I don't work on that day!
I have the option of paying the challan online using esevaonline. But what is troubling me is whether it is worth visiting the Basheerbagh traffic office to argue, or is it better to pay up and shut up?
Old 26th May 2008, 12:57   #2
BHPian

Its worth.
1. Each person complaining will make them alert. (Eg. due to large no of complains against the airlines, the ticket re-imbursement rules are changed. WOuldnt hv been possible otherwise.)
2. It will be 1 count against you. When you repeat, your count will be 2 and not 1 as expected.
subscrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2008, 12:59   #3
BHPian

we can always go to their office and talk about this. these days they are roaming around with digi cams and taking pictures as a proof. but for 2007 we can still argue and ask for proofs. Not sure to what extent it will help...:(
Old 26th May 2008, 13:43   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Venu, my suggestion is to ignore the challan and go about your life. I have received a few such challans both for my car and bike and i have ignored them and nothing happened till now.

Some of the challan i received was over 6 months ago for allegedly wrong parking 6 months prior to receiving the challan.

So it's a year now, nothing happened.
Old 26th May 2008, 13:47   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Venu, my suggestion is to ignore the challan and go about your life.

The car will go back to the RTO for one of these reasons:
1. Updating the RC book for change in address.
2. You sell the car.
3. You want an NOC.(police check)
4. You want a loan from a bank with your car as surety.

Will there not be an alert out with your car number on it.
Old 26th May 2008, 14:15   #6

I would say you pay up, if you had parked it wrongly, and don't if you had not parked on that day. It would definitely be worth to fight for your rights.

Both RTO and Police in Hyderabad are trying to work closely nowadays, but don't know for sure, if there is a system in place, to alert RTO for such petty violations.
Old 26th May 2008, 14:25   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Will there not be an alert out with your car number on it.
Nothing as dramatic as a "red alert" for the vehicle will happen. From what i heard, the worst case is you receive a court notice with a fine of 500 bucks or something if you don't pay up the initial fine notice.

But, this will not happen as they can send a court notice only if they can prove in the court that your alleged wrong parking ( or any other traffic violation) is indeed a wrong one ( via a video or picture).

So it is better to ignore unless you are sure and remember that you did that traffic violation ( if is tough to recall a 6 month old incident of where you parked your vehicle)
Old 26th May 2008, 14:48   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Hey guys,
I was kind of surprised to get a challan of Rs 100 yesterday, allegedly for wrong parking in Jubilee Hills area on Septemeber 22nd! It has the sender's name as 'I/C e-CHALLAN BRANCH, o/o The Commissioner of Police, Basheerbagh-Hyderabad' and was sent U.C.P. (under certificate of posting) and was despatched on May 13th, 2008. It alleges wrong parking/ no parking on Sep 22 at 1500 hours.
What surprises me is that I was never informed about wrong parking anytime. I did park my car once or twice on the main road beside my office, when the parking lot was full. But Sep 22nd was a Saturday, and I don't work on that day!
I have the option of paying the challan online using esevaonline. But what is troubling me is whether it is worth visiting the Basheerbagh traffic office to argue, or is it better to pay up and shut up?
In 2005. My folks got a ticket for my Pulsar. This was when the bike was locked in the Garage & I was abroad. Apparantly the offense was Signal Jumping on the Airport road.

My dad went to the authorities & had to tell them that I had jumped more more than just the signal. They ended up canceling the challan.
Old 26th May 2008, 14:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Nothing as dramatic as a "red alert" for the vehicle will happen. From what i heard, the worst case is you receive a court notice with a fine of 500 bucks or something if you don't pay up the initial fine notice.

But, this will not happen as they can send a court notice only if they can prove in the court that your alleged wrong parking ( or any other traffic violation) is indeed a wrong one ( via a video or picture).
Thanks Avi. The notice does seek info on who was driving my car on that day and time, and failure to furnish that info within 15 days would be an offence under the MV Act, punishable with a fine of Rs 500/- or imprisonment for 3 months, in addition to the normal fine. However, if I wanted to have the traffic offence compounded, then I could do so by depositing Rs 100 at any eSeva centre, with Rs 35 as service charge.

Another thing I recalled now was that Sep 23 was my daughter's birthday, and I do remember taking a drive to Shamshabad a day before in the afternoon. On the return, we stopped at Keshava Reddy sweets at J Hills to pick up some stuff. I do remember the security guard for the sweet stall asking me to park a bit ahead to where I had parked, which I did.
No cop asked me to move my car. If they had done so, I could have driven 30 feet ahead and parked in my office parking lot, that was empty that day (i went to the loo in the office and noticed the empty slot).

Since there are many other victims to this crazy system, I think I shall ignore the notice, though the tenor of the letter is really worrisome.
Old 26th May 2008, 15:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

Just pay it man. In delhi, we ourselves found out challans online and paid in the mega traffic adalat

Can't get any worse no?
Old 27th May 2008, 18:54   #11
BHPian

Reminds me of Andrew Flintoff. He was charged with speeding but was let off as the challan didnt arrive in the requisite 14 days!

He had a famous lawyer - Nick Freeman also known as Mr Loophole, who got Flintoff off the hook - Flint was doing 87 mph in a 50 mph zone.

A wag commented something to this effect: "He can pay a lawyer a 1000 pounds, but not pay a 60 pound ticket"
Old 28th May 2008, 13:23   #12
BHPian

today a policemen in civil dress just clicked a pic of my car at jubilee check post circle for no good reason. I was well in the limit. donno what will happen now...:(
Old 28th May 2008, 13:40   #13
Team-BHP Support

in civil dress, you sure you don't have some funny mods in the car and some one from here was clicking the pic for the weird mod jobs thread.
Old 29th May 2008, 18:09   #14
Senior - BHPian

venu sir,
one of our other hyd bhpians furiuossphynx got a traffic violation challan for signal jumping. Funny thing is he bought the used car two months ago and violation was in August. If the traffic guys can get the address(changed address) from the RTO, could they not verify the change of ownership???
Old 29th May 2008, 18:19   #15
BHPian

similar thing happened to a friend of mine. he got a challan in january for signal jumping in september. he didnt care about it. In the month of February, a policeman came to his house, telling to pay the challan. and he was reluctant to take the money then and there. he insisted us to go to the nearest e-seva centre.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks