Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2016, 14:52   #1
BHPian

Dealer got me DL8S plates; I want DL11S. Now what? *Edit: Got it!*

I purchased a new Aprilia SR150 from Kaysons Associates Pvt. Ltd. They are authorized Vespa/Aprilia dealers in North Delhi. This was on 23 October 2016

At the time of purchase I specifically instructed the dealer to give me Rohini authority DL11S which was also specifically mentioned on file.

Still the dealer has given me DL8S registration which I insisted him I did not want (DL8 has twice proven unlucky to me first for Honda Stunner, then for Wagon R. I had to sell WR with on 6000 kms on odo and had to sell Stunner with mere 47.5kms on ODO.)

The dealer called me 2 weeks back and said they are giving me DL8S for Aprilia because the DL11S authority is not releasing registration numbers because of cash crunch arising out of demonitisation (Total load of horse manure!)

I warned him I will dispute the credit card payment based so the person who called me said that he will try to change it to DL11S.

Today I called the dealer again, the girl told me that they have got a DL8S number for Aprilia. When I told her the situation she transferred the call to Sales Associate Mr. Puneet.

He told me that they are trying to change the authority from DL8S to DL11S.

I want to know:

Is this change possible without and form filling or signature from my side?
If yes will it result in me becoming second owner of my own vehicle?

What can I do to ensure that I get DL11S?

Should I call up Citibank and dispute the payment?

Please advise!
Old 30th November 2016, 14:58   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Dealer got me DL8S plates; I want DL11S. Now what? *Edit: Got it!*

If the bike is actually registered I doubt they can do anything. If DL is similar to MH, then they will be able to transfer the number to DL11, but only the RTO will change on the RC card, the number will remain the same.
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 15:09   #3
BHPian

As in the number which right now is DL8S will continue to be DL8S?

In this case, should I sue them in consumer court for deficiency of service? How about criminal action for criminal breach of trust?

Should I also dispute credit card payment just for good measure?
Old 30th November 2016, 15:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK the RTO where the vehicle is registered depends on the address. If your address falls in the DL8 Area you have to register it there.
pedrolourenco is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 15:35   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
AFAIK the RTO where the vehicle is registered depends on the address. If your address falls in the DL8 Area you have to register it there.
Not necessary. Any RTO within the same city (mentioned in the address provided) can register the vehicle.
I stay in Bangalore and I got two vehicles (each) registered at Yelahanka and Yeswantpur, no questions asked, no extra money paid!
Divya Sharan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 15:36   #6
CDM
BHPian

+1 to what pedrolourenco has said.

The relevant RTO depends upon your address and while you may have a choice of the number series within that RTO, you cannot demand a number from a series of another RTO.

CDM
CDM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 15:46   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohitkumaar View Post
As in the number which right now is DL8S will continue to be DL8S?

In this case, should I sue them in consumer court for deficiency of service? How about criminal action for criminal breach of trust?
Not sure how it is in DL. But in the states that I have been, the number changes only if you reregister in a different state. So if it is already registered, you will be driving around with DL8 number. Do you have any documentation from their side that they will register it only at DL11 RTO?

I recently registered my car and requested my dealer to register at a particular RTO as I knew they were giving out numbers with a particular character series. They failed to do that and registered in a different RTO and I thought not to make a big deal about it.
madhavgpai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 18:04   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
Not necessary. Any RTO within the same city (mentioned in the address provided) can register the vehicle.
I stay in Bangalore and I got two vehicles (each) registered at Yelahanka and Yeswantpur, no questions asked, no extra money paid!
I am sure this is definitely not applicable in Mumbai else every one would want to register their vehicle in districts outside of Mumbai to save on tax. It will also be tough for the RTO's to manage and some might be loaded with work to the hilt and some might be literally sitting idle.

However if the law is different in Delhi, will be an interesting learning for sure.
Old 30th November 2016, 18:21   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Mohitkumar, like it has been said above - if registration is completed, then you cant do much about it. If it is temp registration, you can push with temp regn for some more time.

But if already registered as DL8, then the only option for you is - register outside DL with change of number, and register again in DL. But you will still need to again ensure it does not go back to DL8. Expensive, long-winded option.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 18:24   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
I am sure this is definitely not applicable in Mumbai else every one would want to register their vehicle in districts outside of Mumbai to save on tax. It will also be tough for the RTO's to manage and some might be loaded with work to the hilt and some might be literally sitting idle.

However if the law is different in Delhi, will be an interesting learning for sure.
I guess my post may cause some misunderstanding to people who aren't familiar with Bangalore -> both the suburbs of Yelahanka and Yeswantpur come under Bangalore (now).
One cannot for example register his vehicle in Hoskote, Kolar, Devanahalli and beyond with a Bangalore address.
Divya Sharan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2016, 00:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

The RTO that your vehicle is registered will depend on your address as per documents provided to the company. AFAIK you cannot choose any RTO you want. In some cases due to an error or maybe some overlap in jurisdiction you can choose one over the other but normally you cannot.
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2016, 02:03   #12
BHPian

So in Delhi we can choose the rto. It depends on the dealer location. My Honda Activa is DL11S (Rohini). My AStar Automatic is DL1C (Shamnath Marg). My home location falls in DL11 (Rohini).

DL8S was our authority 8-9 years back but Rohini was demarcated to DL11 around 6-7 years back. Dealer said they do both 8S and 11S.

After talking to sales associate and his man at RTO again in eveing, they have told me they will get me ne number and have asked me to wait for 10 days. I will get a DL11S number and has told me new number will be allocated by coming Tuesday. He informed me of another case like mine he is working on.

For now I am waiting and watching.

I will do what condor has suggested as last resort. (Yes I am really bent on it.) Only problem is I do not have any Non Delhi address proof. So will have to rely on some relative in UP or Punjab.

Moral of the story is:
1. Best to do registration myself in future.
2. Forget what dealer says as he just wants a sale.
3. For buying less popular vehicles like Aprilia or Vespa be extra cautious.

Last edited by Mohitkumaar : 1st December 2016 at 02:05.
Mohitkumaar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2016, 12:22   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The dealer's attitude sucks. If he knows you are so particular about the plate, he should have kept the registration on hold before just going ahead with DL8S.

Better you get the registration done yourself in the future.

If I may suggest, there's really no such thing about plates being lucky / unlucky. Since I buy used, I don't have a choice of RTO (have owned MH01, MH02, MH04, MH15, MP09...) and all of them were lucky for me . I don't even have a choice of numbers or any combinations!

Quote:
Should I call up Citibank and dispute the payment?
You'll only be wasting your time. Once Citibank knows that you have been provided a product / service against that payment, they'll close the case.

Quote:
Again, you'll just be wasting your time. I don't think it's worth the effort at all.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st December 2016, 12:58   #14
Senior - BHPian

In Dilli the option of choosing an authority is no longer available. Earlier the authority would be based on the purchaser's address proof but now it is based on the seller's location. The process itself is online and automated and therefore leaves no room for manipulations.

Moreover due to certain security advisories a dealer can not keep registration pending beyond a certain number of days once the invoice has been raised. It results in punitive action and penalties against the said dealer and no commercial establishment would willingly like to get in to a mess on account of any customer.

If one wants a certain leeway in choice of numbers etc. then one has to hold hands with the seller all the way until the needful is done. This holds true whether one is buying a scooty or a Bentley .

Last edited by khoj : 1st December 2016 at 12:59.
khoj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2016, 06:56   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Curious issue indeed. The things Dealers do (or don't do)!

While some (including me) can discount the validity of a number being lucky or unlucky, its a totally personal choice.

Tamil Nadu doesn't have TN 08 - XX - YYYY series at all, because people consider 8 as unlucky/inauspicious.

In fact there's a practice were the sum of the last 4 digits won't be 8.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...lnadu-rto.html

Off-topic: In Australia-Queensland, one can just apply for a new number and get it. Of course it costs quite a bit but the process benefits the car owner (Unlimited choice. Only money is the limit) and the government (revenue). A friend changed the number of his <6 month old car for $460. I would have bought bolt on parts for that money
kiku007 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks