Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2016, 22:45   #1
Team-BHP Support

Cashless Tolls after demonetisation - Hit and Miss

I drove into Bangalore today from Coimbatore on day 2 of the tolls reopening after demonitisation. All I can say it was a hit and miss affair. I ensured my PayTM was fired up and I also enrolled in Mobikwik.

-First toll - no sign of cards or any e-wallet - cash was king
-Second Toll - PayTM signs all over - the operator was clueless but knew how to operate the card
-Third Toll - The card machine was being shared by various booths with one guy running between booths with a toll. Seeing the folks getting backed up behind me, I paid up by cash instead
-Fourth Toll - clueless or not trusting about PayTM despite have the QR code posted - they took my card
-Fifth toll - only Rs20, why use card said the operator
-Sixth Toll -EC - They were clever- they walked up to cars in queue, took cash and made them drive into the fasttag lane

I saw two fights happening over payment issues. Note Rs 500 old notes will be accepted only if the toll exceeds Rs 200 - read trucks only.

Fasttag lanes were closed in 2/5 toll booths that I passed through.

Summarising - travelling will not be easy unless you have sheafs of 100/50/10 and a pocketful of silver. The card might be useful in some places.

Last edited by GTO : 5th December 2016 at 13:29.
ajmat is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2016, 23:22   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Cashless Tolls after demonetisation - Hit and Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
-Fourth Toll - clueless or not trusting about PayTM despite have the QR code posted - they took my card
Seeing this board at krishnagiri toll, I was really wondering on how these guys would have learned to operate Paytm app at such a short notice. So, looks like its not implemented yet.

Cashless Tolls after demonetisation - Hit and Miss-15356494_10154661833479088_7998692388449053404_n.jpg

And regarding Credit card payment, we will have to make sure that the toll operator has entered the correct amount because there are chances of making mistakes with zeros. Ex: 600 instead of 60.
arun_josie is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th December 2016, 00:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Operate the PayTM app? That's what you will do. They will just confirm receipt of money by sms.

In my limited experience with Meru and a fuel bunk, PayTM is faster than a credit card. But nobody would want to pull out one's phone, swipe the QR code and then pay. That would stil be slow at toll booths.

Also there are two methods of electronic payment: buyer initiates the payment, such as PayTM or vendor initiates the payment, such as card. With interaction times to be minimized in case of a toll booth it is possible that the buyer might pay less or vendor might charge extra, deliberately or accidentally. And it will further complicate the process.

Maybe a PayTM like solution that works reverse. A QR code could be stuck on the car which is read by a device at the booth and a debit is made to the wallet of the car owner. The owner has an app which prompts him to accept or decline the Debit.

Last edited by GTO : 5th December 2016 at 13:32. Reason: Merging both your posts
honeybee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2016, 07:15   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Operate the PayTM app? That's what you will do. They will just confirm receipt of money by sms.
I just wondered how they got familiar with paytm so quickly. Maybe, a campaign from paytm. Wonder how they tally the paytm toll collection at the end of the day as they may need to use different mobile numbers for the same toll booth itself.
arun_josie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2016, 09:08   #5
BHPian

I work for a public sector bank and have witnessed the mad rush for cash from close quarters in Chennai and it's suburban areas. Here the que was much more disciplined and people seem to have cooperated with this massive change in their day to day life. Post demonetization move, I am flooded by customers and non customers for obtainment of EDC or swipe machines. We have three options of POS machines which are:
1. PSTN linked machine which require landline connection
2. GPRS enabled machine
3. M-POS which works on an Android phone with wifi or internet connectivity

Amongst all the aforesaid options M-POS is easy to own and operate as there are no issues of printing the receipts and all. The person using his card will get an sms and email regarding the debit on his card and so does the merchant. At NHs the third machine could be very handy as it will reduce the annoying wait time at plazas.
MDED is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th December 2016, 09:38   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I drove into Bangalore today from Cimbatore on day 2 of the tolls reopening after demonitisation. All I can say it was a hit and miss affair. Summarising - travelling will not be easy unless you have sheafs of 100/50/10 and a pocket ful of silver. The card might be useful in some places
I have collected a few 100s for my upcoming trip. Will I get 'change' if I hand over 100 rupee note for Rs.30 or Rs. 40 toll charge? Also, was the wait at toll booth significantly longer than usual?

I'm considering opting for longer but toll-free routes.
Old 4th December 2016, 10:03   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I have collected a few 100s for my upcoming trip. Will I get 'change' if I hand over 100 rupee note for Rs.30 or Rs. 40 toll charge? Also, was the wait at toll booth significantly longer than usual?

The queues towards Chennai were big. Queues towards Bangalore were no issue. They could change 100 notes without an issue. Keep Rs 5 coins handy
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2016, 10:28   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post

The problem is not change for Rs 100 but for 2000!

If you give hundred rupee note, you will always get your change back whether the toll amount is 20 or 80. Even today no one is going to question you.

I handed over 200 yesterday at KIAL booth and the operator asked for 20 change and when I declined, he handed me back 80 without a noise.

Again, just look at NICE Road. For the past one week, I see them happily returning change for 2000 Rs and ending the party for those who thought they can escape paying toll. It happened with 2 BHPians and I see people handing over 2000 ahead of me and getting change.

Regarding stcoking of 1,2 or 5 Coins, that's something we always do when we pass tolls isn't it? Not anything remotely connected to this whole demonitization exercise.

My worry is how efficiently these Mobile Wallet and Card Swipes are managed and as we notice, not all is well.

For someone like you having 100s, you should not worry at all
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th December 2016, 11:07   #9
BHPian

Guys, just a thought, sorry if it's sounds stupid - How about NHAI introducing prepaid online payment of tolls on their authentic website ?? Say for example, someone intends to drive from Mumbai to Belgaum (500 kms) on a particular day. There can be a provision made on NHAI website to select a particular route and a particular day and pay for all the tolls enroute ( single journeys ). This payment could be done one shot, together for all the tolls, valid for next 24 hours from the time of payment ( of each toll ) and an SMS/Screenshot authenticating the same could be used to flash at the toll booths. 24 hours is a huge time, as Bombay-Belgaum can be done in mere 7 hours. So even in case of any unprecedented delays, you still have many hours left to use the prepaid payment. My idea is akin to any simple online booking of flight/bus/train etc. There would be no hassles of change or scanning QR code etc. It can be used for shorter routes as well. Say for example, Pune--Satara - I will pay online in advance only for Khed Shivapur and Anewadi tolls.

Does the above sound feasible ?? I would anyday vouch for RFID tag but given that it's not efficiently working as of now, I was thinking about an alternative.

Last edited by vivek95 : 4th December 2016 at 11:08.
vivek95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2016, 15:58   #10
BHPian

I think FASTag is the way to go. Govt should make FASTag mandatory. All Toll Plazas should have only one cash lane and all other lanes for FASTag . The cash lane should provide FASTags to non FASTag vehicles and assist users to recharge their FASTag accounts. Cards/Mobile wallets would only increase the wait times at tolls.
gopalnayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2016, 00:22   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Guys, just a thought .. snip..

Does the above sound feasible ?? I would anyday vouch for RFID tag but given that it's not efficiently working as of now, I was thinking about an alternative.
Although your plan is brilliant but why start another mode when fast tag exists which is easier, can be precharged and used without any time limits. In your proposal how do you account for delays beyond 24 hours and knowing the Indian mentality there will be lots of users showing photoshopped or xeroxed pages at toll gates and fighting with the toll guys.. as is the toll guys are not very popular in the driving fraternity. My suggestions use fast tag or prepaid NFC cards like Delhi metro should be catered which a driver can buy and precharge. Once at toll gate he will touch this card onto a reader near the toll operator and be granted access these I think will be faster and easier to implement.

Last edited by RajeVenu : 5th December 2016 at 00:25.
RajeVenu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2016, 13:39   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Summarising - travelling will not be easy unless you have sheafs of 100/50/10 and a pocketful of silver.
Toll booths are the best places to break big notes. On my next highway trip, I'm giving a 2,000 rupee note at the first toll & then using that change for the next ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
PayTM is faster than a credit card
Still too cumbersome.

Agreed with Gopalnayak that FASTag is the way forward. Hopefully, the government makes it compulsory on all cars & streamlines the collection process.

If PayTM really wanted to innovate, how about this = Our phones have fairly accurate GPS. When approaching a toll booth, PayTM asks you 'want to pay toll?'. Green button for yes, red for no. Hit green and your car is let through. The prompt should come up before you reach the booth (as you approach), so perhaps, there's no need to even talk to the toll attendant or roll your window down. Just drive through.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th December 2016, 14:10   #13
BHPian

I have never had to check for network connectivity when driving but wouldn't a poor internet network be a hurdle for the PayTM transfers? I am imagining how will things work if there is no/poor net connectivity around the toll booths. Am I missing something?
Old 5th December 2016, 14:46   #14
BHPian

Isn't simply showing unique QR code associated with PayTM account to the toll operator is enough? They can simply scan the QR and validate the transaction against the PayTM server as like validations happens against FASTag server. In this case, internet connectivity in our mobile is not required as the QR code can be shown while offline too.
Old 5th December 2016, 14:54   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smnrock View Post
Isn't simply showing unique QR code associated with PayTM account to the toll operator is enough? They can simply scan the QR and validate the transaction against the PayTM server as like validations happens against FASTag server. In this case, internet connectivity in our mobile is not required as the QR code can be shown while offline too.
Nope! Otherwise, you will go bankrupt if user-end validation is omitted. People will simply take a picture of your QR Code and print-n-paste in their vehicles You will end up paying for all of them!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks