Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2016, 09:30   #1
Senior - BHPian

Goa leads the country in vehicle density; 551 / 1,000 citizens

Goa has topped the list of Indian states with the maximum traffic density of 551 vehicles per 1,000 people. This translates to a vehicle for every second citizen of the state. Interestingly, India's national average vehicle density was 13 cars per 1,000 citizens in 2014.

The union territory of Puducherry is on the second spot of the said chart, with 488 vehicles / 1,000 citizens. Delhi ranked third with 424 vehicles per 1,000 people. In terms of sheer number of vehicles, Delhi has 8 times more vehicles than Goa.

Chandigarh is fourth on the rankings with 388 vehicles per 1,000 citizens. Tamil Nadu, which has 225.2 lakh registered vehicles for its 691.6 lakh population, ranks on the fifth spot with a density figure of 326 vehicles per 1,000 people.

Source: ET Auto

Goa leads the country in vehicle density; 551 / 1,000 citizens-07traffic.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 23rd December 2016 at 09:31.
dZired is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 10:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Goa leads the country in vehicle density; 551 / 1,000 citizens

Is it motor vehicle or car density ? They say registered vehicles and then replace that with car.

But having more vehicles than Delhi although surprising could be mainly because of lack of public transport ?

Last edited by srishiva : 23rd December 2016 at 10:53.
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 11:01   #3
BHPian

The report does not clearly mention on the vehicles being registered in Goa vehicles or tourist vehicles as well. Goa and Puducherry are both tourist destinations I feel this report has just taken into consideration on the cars than those registered in the respective places
centaur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 12:14   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Is it motor vehicle or car density ?
Searched around a bit. It appears that Goa has the highest car density.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 12:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But having more vehicles than Delhi although surprising could be mainly because of lack of public transport ?
It does'nt have more vehicles than Delhi. Just the density. Delhi has 8 times more vehicles than Goa.
vibbs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 12:42   #6
Team-BHP Support

If I'm not mistaken, Goa also has the highest accident rate (per capita) in India.

Largely due to visiting tourists, inexperienced bikers, unfamiliar roads & alcohol.

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd December 2016 at 12:45.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 13:01   #7
BHPian

I feel it mainly has to do with Tourism industry and private leasing of cars in Goa to tourists.

Walk in to any house in Goa and they would have a vehicle to rent. Most of them have private registration. You can get any car from Wagon R, Gypsy to Scorpio and Honda city.

Its a business model thats been in place for several years. With sharp increase in tourism to Goa I don't find the above stats surprising.

Also vehicles in Goa are cheaper than Maharashtra and a lot of folks register their car in Goa from neighboring states.

This I what I understand from the above stats.
tazmaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 13:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
I feel it mainly has to do with Tourism industry and private leasing of cars in Goa to tourists.

This was the first thing that came to my mind when I read the OP. Tourism is probably the biggest driver of these numbers and since most of them are registered as private, there isn't really a surprise. Is there a similar analysis on the TW as well? That should also be pretty high in there along with Pondycherry due to the lower taxes.
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 14:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The rental cars (pvt registered or rental registered) put together will not account for more than 5% of the total cars sold. Goa has a small population compared to most Indian cities so though the density may be high, the total cars are less.

Quote:
Also vehicles in Goa are cheaper than Maharashtra and a lot of folks register their car in Goa from neighboring states.
This was many years ago when Goa was a Union Territory. As soon as we became a state vehicles became more expensive than Maharashtra.

Last edited by pedrolourenco : 23rd December 2016 at 14:10. Reason: Correcting Typos
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 14:22   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Not really. I know hundreds of car owners in Goa, no one rents out their cars. Car rentals make up for less than 1% of the total cars in Goa. There are 2 main reasons for the high per capita car ownership-
1. Goa has the highest per capita income in India
2. Non-existent public transport system.

High per capita car ownership is primarily a function of per capita income, that's why Goa, Delhi, Chandigarh and Puducherry have the highest number of cars per capita because they also have the highest per capita income.
Astleviz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 14:22   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Is it motor vehicle or car density ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Searched around a bit. It appears that Goa has the highest car density.
The data shows motor vehicle density. But Goa may very well have the highest car density. It is lifted directly from the "Road transport Yearbook 2014-15" released by Ministry of Road Transport and Highways. The yearbook also shows total numbers of different types of vehicles in each state. So if you know the population, you can calculate the density of cars, motorcycles etc.

http://morth.nic.in/showfile.asp?lid=2495

Quote:
Cheaper tax is more important in case of Pondicherry. I can see a lot of luxury cars in Kerala with Pondicherry registration. I have seen many in Chennai too. Also the districts of Tamil Nadu bordering Pondicherry has a large number of vehicles registered in Pondicherry.

Last edited by deerhunter : 23rd December 2016 at 14:51.
deerhunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 14:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

Shouldn't vehicle density be measured in Cars per Square Kilometre? This figure will be more relevant as it will give an indication of the Pollution and Congestion levels.
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks