Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2017, 12:32   #46
BHPian

Re: Clogged Toll Booths! What's the solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
Mandatory Fastag is unfair. Most vehicles registered in India dont use toll roads, so forcing them to pay for Fastag is injustice.
Yes, why not make it very cheap, or even free of cost, and mandatory only if someone needs to pass a toll, along with good discounts in toll. I don't think people will crib too much, considering the time savings.

Quote:
For eg: The whole of Kerala has just 3 Fastag toll booths (one more under construction, and not anymore in the near future).
That is the problem. Looks like the toll operators are least interested in cashless or centralized toll collection for some reason. Being in India, we could possibly guess the reasons easily.
On the Bangalore-Hyderabad route most fastag lanes were blocked even in December 2016. The ones between Bangalore and Coimbatore work well, which is a good thing.

Quote:
There is disproportionately high percentage of toll road users in team-bhp (obvious because it is an auto forum). Not so much when we take all the vehicle owners in India.
I think there is something happening to block fastag usage. I hear that ICICI doesn't have fastag, even after 2 months of cash shortage. Doesn't this look weird? Seems like they have stopped taking applications for fastag.

Quote:
As of now, cash payment is cheaper for everything. It will be a different story if the service charges for card transactions are waived, but seems unlikely.
Completely agree. Cashless transaction benefits banks, credit cards and wallets. Consumers pay about 2% extra (mostly hidden inside MRP) for pretty much everything, which straight goes into the providers pockets. Many digital transactions blatantly charge convenience fee and service charge for online transactions. Surprisingly, over-the-counter transactions are free!!

Simplest example, just for cash withdrawal, if you go to the bank, any amount can be withdrawn, free of cost. While, if you use ATM you are charged (probably once you cross the 4 or 5 usage limit).

Even for reloading fastag, we need to pay 1.15% extra. For reloading BETL tag, we need to pay Rs.15+2.5% service charge for online transaction, while recharging over the counter is free. Surprisingly, BETL does not charge 2.5% for credit card usage over the counter.

So, our entire infrastructure is tuned to make cashless transactions and online transactions costlier.
samm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 12:39   #47
Senior - BHPian

I think highly clogged Tolls should be identified and infrastructure has to be developed at those tolls. Just splitting the class of travelers without improving the infrastructure may not be a long term solution. Infrastructure improvement can be in terms of building a fly over at that toll and allowing only Toll Paid, Fast Tag, Monthly pass holders. etc OR having more toll gate entries.
Other thought is, If the Road leads to several destinations, then, split the Highway into multiple roads within 2-3 kms range and divert the traffic to specific route 3 kms before the toll. Install separate tolls (Number depending on the rush) for different destinations and collect fee at starting toll. From next toll, since the car has already paid toll at starting toll, just an inspection and allow/disallow would work.

I think there are multiple solutions to solve the problem if Government has an intention to solve. If there is no intention, then, all solutions will lie only on Paper
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 12:40   #48
BHPian

Why would the country adopt Fastag ?
Lot of stakeholders involved in Fastag: Starting from banks that issue the tag, tool booth owner, then vehicle owner. What is the gain for each one. Why should they want fastag? If any one stake-holder does not profit from fastag, then that person will be the bottle neck for smooth implementation.

Here my experience is that the toll booth owner is the biggest bottle neck. I speculate, it may be due to the fact that, fastag mean fully accounted money, no cash dealings. If they had significant gain, you bet they would put as many lanes as fast tag and would be selling it themselves every time you pass the booth. Just like they adopted paytm during demonetization. There is no gain for them from Fastag

The transportation ministry needs to come up with a game changer in which all stakeholder gain. Then you will see fastag implemented like a charm.

Last edited by Czarcarsm : 19th January 2017 at 12:42.
Czarcarsm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 14:29   #49

Hi All,

Just to bring to notice
As per circular no. NHAI/CO/04/2016 by NHAI
At every toll plaza 100 meter ahead from collection booth should have a red line. If the traffic in que crosses this line, you can approach the booth and ask the barrier to be opened without toll collection.
And this is a given directive to all NHAI toll Booths for traffic smoothness.

Attached is the image of circular.
Thanks
Sameer
Attached Thumbnails
Clogged Toll Booths! What's the solution?-screenshot_20170119142628.jpg  

Sameey192 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 15:42   #50
BHPian

How about dynamic pricing for tolls, 1.5x during peak hours and 0.5x for non-peak hours (which is incentive), it may streamline the traffic little bit.
Old 19th January 2017, 16:03   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niv26 View Post
How about dynamic pricing for tolls, 1.5x during peak hours and 0.5x for non-peak hours (which is incentive), it may streamline the traffic little bit.
That would work if there are alternate roads to the same destination without any Toll.
Old 19th January 2017, 16:29   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sameey192 View Post
Hi All,

Just to bring to notice
As per circular no. NHAI/CO/04/2016 by NHAI
At every toll plaza 100 meter ahead from collection booth should have a red line. If the traffic in que crosses this line, you can approach the booth and ask the barrier to be opened without toll collection.
And this is a given directive to all NHAI toll Booths for traffic smoothness.

Attached is the image of circular.
Thanks
Sameer
Thanks for finding this circular.

There is a debate going on about whether 'no toll if queue is long' is true or not. This clears that up.

For those who wants to read the full circular. Link

Read page 3 and 4.

Quote:
The provisions are different for different concession agreements as given below:
-Not more than 6 vehicles in queue in the peak hours; or
-The number of toll lanes or booths shall be such as to ensure the service time of not more than 10 seconds per vehicle at peak hour.
deerhunter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 17:43   #53

The only solution is contactless toll collection at all toll booths and for all class of vehicles. Since toll collectors understate the traffic at their toll posts to earn extra and fleece the goverment as well as the public they are resisting electronic toll collection.
Old 20th January 2017, 11:02   #54
BHPian

Guys,
I belong to the Toll Industry and have been working with Toll Barriers company(www.ac-magnetic.com) since last 6 years until few months back. I have sold 100's of barriers till date and never saw regulations implemented (maybe it is impossible in India !!).

I would take this opportunity to enlighten you that every toll booth in India has a Yellow line marked before approaching it (300-400mtrs range). If you are ahead of this yellow line and see the lane clogged up with cars, the toll operator is not supposed to collect Toll as per rules. They are supposed to let the cars go without collecting toll, till there is no clogging within this yellow line.

My current job makes me travel till Thane from Chembur. 50% times I do not pay toll. I just look them in the eye with sarcasm . This is the catch, they know they should not collect but they do anyways, thats because commuters are unaware of this. I just think how can it not strike them ? They wait in the Queue to pay toll, damn !! I so wish that this message is displayed loud and clear ahead of every toll booth. MEP/IRB get richer day by day and we tax payers get poorer.

Please pass this message and keep spotting the Yellow line in every toll booth you approach.

P.S. Do not buy ETC tags for Mulund-Airoli-Dahisar routes. Its no use as those lanes are clogged during peak times.

Cheers !
spoth001 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th January 2017, 11:57   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoth001 View Post
Guys,

I would take this opportunity to enlighten you that every toll booth in India has a Yellow line marked before approaching it (300-400mtrs range). If you are ahead of this yellow line and see the lane clogged up with cars, the toll operator is not supposed to collect Toll as per rules. They are supposed to let the cars go without collecting toll, till there is no clogging within this yellow line.

Please pass this message and keep spotting the Yellow line in every toll booth you approach.

P.S. Do not buy ETC tags for Mulund-Airoli-Dahisar routes. Its no use as those lanes are clogged during peak times.

Cheers !
This is an eye Opener. We should somehow create this awareness among the people. Is there a way to create this awareness ?
Old 20th January 2017, 12:30   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
This is an eye Opener. We should somehow create this awareness among the people. Is there a way to create this awareness ?
Yes there is a way. We have to approach NGO's who are into Infrastructure domain and advertisements. IRB or as a matter of fact any Concessionaire will never display such messages. All they do is put up a crappy notice which simply says Yellow line. Other way I see is if local MLA/Corporator/Mayor can support and make everyone aware. But there are high chances of Toll operators buying these bureaucrats.
Lets stick to newspapers, the best and easiest way.
Old 20th January 2017, 12:57   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For those who wants to read the full circular. Link
The provisions are different for different concession agreements as given below:
-The number of toll lanes or booths shall be such as to ensure the service time of not more than 10 seconds per vehicle at peak hour..
Unfortunately, these dont seem to be mandatory steps. Its listed as Suggested action. The circular does not mandate toll waiver in case of long queues. Its only a suggestion.
Old 20th January 2017, 13:44   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Unfortunately, these dont seem to be mandatory steps. Its listed as Suggested action. The circular does not mandate toll waiver in case of long queues. Its only a suggestion.
It doesnt mandate toll waiver specifically, but it says this:

Quote:
-The number of toll lanes or booths shall be such as to ensure the service time of not more than 10 seconds per vehicle at peak hour. The no of toll lanes shall be increased if the maximum waiting time exceeds 3 minutes.
There is a need to strictly implement these provisions.
Link see page 4.

If the toll booths have no necessary infrastructure for additional lanes or handheld devices, then how else are they going to "strictly implement these provisions". That is why I think toll waiver, even though not specifically mentioned, is implied in their contracts.

Last edited by deerhunter : 20th January 2017 at 13:45.
Old 20th January 2017, 15:11   #59
BHPian

Quote:

Link see page 4.

If the toll booths have no necessary infrastructure for additional lanes or handheld devices, then how else are they going to "strictly implement these provisions". That is why I think toll waiver, even though not specifically mentioned, is implied in their contracts.
Purely from a legal language view point, "There is a need to strictly implement these provisions." does not mean it has to be strictly implemented.
The member finance has identified a need, that is all. He does not make it mandatory. Infact he goes on to recommend some action as well.
So basically member identified a need and then some recommended actions. Then he is asking RO (to whom the letter is addressed) to take it forward. This, in the current form, cannot be implement and the toll operators are neither obligated in anyway to follow it.

Last edited by Czarcarsm : 20th January 2017 at 15:12.
Czarcarsm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2017, 16:43   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Link see page 4.

Appreciate your thoughts, unfortunately the verbiage of this letter would not pass legal scrutiny. And hence, I do not think the toll operators will let vehicles through if there are more than 6 cars in queue or more than 3 minutes of waiting time.

Please realize that the toll operators in India as in most third world countries are not awarded these contracts in a fair and transparent manner and the laws are made to favour them. This circular is a classic case of appearing to side with citizens but in reality requiring no real action from the operator.
Lalvaz is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks