Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2017, 12:53   #46
BHPian

re: Fuel stations in 8 states to be shut on Sundays. EDIT: Cancelled

I fail to understand how closing the pump for one day will "save fuel", this will only lead the junta to fill up the tanks on the other 6 days and crowd the bunk on Saturday evenings like the day before a fuel price hike. Why can't the association just say they want the commission to be increased instead of such ignoble posturing in the name of fuel saving.
batterylow is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 19th April 2017, 13:14   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
This is plain shameful, both on the part of such spokespersons as well as media for twisting facts. If and when commissions are increased and association withdraws this shutdown call, will they them come out and admit that greed for money has again put their recently-awaken conscience back to sleep?
Absolutely... Couldn't agree more. There can be no denying that the whole issue is about money. At the moment the government is finding it difficult to accede to the demands of petroleum dealers regarding hike in commissions, as such the ridiculous idea of closing the pumps once a week is doing rounds. But once the commission thing is sorted out, this very suggestion would be thrown out of the window. At the receiving end of this tussle between the government and the petroleum dealers is the public which will be greatly inconvenienced if this proposal is implemented and to add to the hullabaloo is the overzealous media reporting.

Last edited by ssambyal1980 : 19th April 2017 at 13:22.
ssambyal1980 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2017, 14:18   #48
BHPian

Is this going to be followed by private companies like Shell, Reliance etc as well?
Old 19th April 2017, 14:27   #49
BHPian

Correct me if I am wrong, but I presume Reliance, Shell, Essar etc will remain open as will be the PSU COCO pumps. Also, Kerala Supplyco pumps should remain open.
darklord is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th April 2017, 15:22   #50
BHPian

My Opinion & Suggestions to tide over this decision

It's a really bad decision in my opinion, especially for people like me who travel on weekends. Our return journeys are usually planned on Sundays so that we can attend office on Mondays and this just means that we will have to tank up on Saturday. I think the people who came up with this idea are really bird brains. What about folks who go out on Sunday outings? I sincerely hope that the 20,000 odd bunks which are going to shut are spread across in such a way that there are fuel pumps which will be open at reasonable distances so that anyone in dire need of tanking up will not find themselves stranded

On NH47, there are a bunch of very good Lorry Owners Association (LOA) bunks which I believe will continue to remain open. I always had a good experience tanking up these folks. This also means that anytime your fuel gauge shows 50% or less, you better tank up at the next fuel station, preferably a company owned fuel pump

The Govt seems to favour all sorts of bans and restrictions and they are going to hit themselves in the foot with such useless decisions and support for public agencies.

Last edited by sudeepg : 19th April 2017 at 15:23. Reason: adding more context
Old 19th April 2017, 15:38   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
PM's vision in reducing fuel consumption.
I just don't understand how will this EVEN remotely reduce fuel consumption. I am Indian and my curse is in my genes. We always prepare ourselves for the worst and plan ahead when it comes to public machinery.

So, it is only instinctive for me to tank up every Saturday night to prepare myself for smooth weekend plan.

This also brings a sense of panic in every vehicle owners mind when we see bunks closed and gives me that panic attack of tanking up even when there is no need for it. The visual of closed bunk is enough to tweak the mob attitude in us.

This is just an insane policy and absolute curb on my Article 19. This is plain violation of my basic right to lead a happy peaceful life by creating an artificial curfew.
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2017, 16:13   #52
BHPian

If controlling pollution, conserving fossil fuels and saving the planet is the motive, we should be looking at reliable alternatives like Hybrids, EVs, alternate fuels like Ethanol & bio-diesel, Fuel cells, Solar etc.

But frankly at least in India, none of them have proved to be a promising solution as of now. Especially speaking in terms of range or the mileage covered before needing refilling/recharge. None of the alternatives can stand before fossil fuels. I would have happily welcomed such a move, if have a Tesla S parked in my garage, but all I have is a humble Figo

This being the case one should be looking at the Growth and Development perspective as well. What a ridiculous move is this by the Petroleum Dealers Association? What do they gain by this narrow minded approach ? Do Oil Marketing Companies support the move ? Do they even realize the implications of such a move ? What would fleet operators and commercial vehicle operators do ?

In my humble opinion , this will result in creation of artificial surge in demand during weekends, resulting in black marketing. Don't know whether to laugh or cry at a short sighted approaches like this .Hope better sense prevails and this decision is withdrawn soon enough. The night of November 8, 2016 comes back to my mind when huge queues were waiting outside ATMs. Will it be the same on all Saturdays? Then money , now fuel.

Also is it true that fuel pumps in will be operated from 09:00 A.M. to 06:00 P.M.starting 15 May, 2017 ? Source

Last edited by BLACKBLADE : 19th April 2017 at 16:28. Reason: Added some more rant :)
Old 19th April 2017, 16:27   #53
BHPian

Sorry for not following up, but is there any exception on petrol bunks on highways?
What about people who need to travel long distance on Sundays (when there's no other option)?
Old 19th April 2017, 16:38   #54
Lij
BHPian

Now the government says they might invoke the Essential Commodities Act if the petrol pumps decide to go ahead with Sundays off. (source)
Lij is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2017, 16:59   #55
BHPian

It was more or less assured that the government wouldn't let the fuel pumps go ahead with their decision. And it was even ridiculous of them to attribute their move to a call by PM to save fuel.
vamsi.kona is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th April 2017, 23:23   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kptraveller View Post
There's going to be a good demand for Jerry cans now.. those who venture out on long drives would need this in their trunk as an essential.
Absolutely, with this additional baggage, folks on 4 wheelers will get mostly covered since it will become a way of life. On the other hand, shudder to think of all the safety issues this will beget, with every 4 wheeler having such a can with fuel.

And what is the fate of the poor 2 wheeler riders?
Old 19th April 2017, 23:25   #57
BHPian

All fears may be put to rest. Perhaps this drama by a faction of petroleum dealers association won't be staged at all. Oil ministry has come to aid. Also such a move by the dealers will invoke Essential Commodities Act (ECA) which covers all petroleum products. The act has provisions for taking strict actions against those who try to disrupt the delivery of essential commodities by any means.

Quote:
Oil ministry criticises petrol pumps' plan to be closed on Sundays

In what may trigger a fresh battle between petrol pump owners and the government, the ministry of petroleum and natural gas today distanced itself and criticised the move by a section of petroleum dealers to shut their retail outlets every Sunday starting May 14.

“@PetroleumMin neither endorses nor approves of move by small section of dealers to keep their petrol pumps closed on Sundays. Such closure of petro pumps by a small section of dealers will lead to inconvenience to general public,” the ministry said in its Twitter handle. Sources revealed that the ministry may consider strict actions against the dealers, if they go ahead with the plan.
Source: Business Standard

Quote:
The government can invoke Essential Commodities Act (ECA) over the decision by the Consortium of Indian petroleum dealers of shutting down the petrol pumps across eight states from May 14.

Commenting over the matter, on Wednesday, the Centre said the threat by the association would be dealt according to the measures necessary to maintain supplies of essential commodities.
Source: Business Today
BLACKBLADE is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 10:40   #58
BHPian

I think we should stop analyzing the possible scenarios resulting out of pumps being closed on Sundays. It is something that is not going to happen. Fuel pumps functions 365 days a year, even on national holidays.

I am sure there are powers vested with those from Central Government down till District Collector to ensure unrestricted fuel supply. This drama has unfortunately attracted far too much attention though. Common people have suddenly started talking about pumps being closed on Sundays. This itself is enough to spark panic and people randomly queuing up at bunks to tank up their activa and scooty with 5 ltrs of fuel.
ksameer1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 21:15   #59
BHPian

IMHO, the purpose of any news put out on various medias have an objective. In this scenario, specifically when there is a talk of drastic change, it is only to create maximum impact and get the public involved so much so that all the conversations will be only around this topic. Slowly this drives their concerns up pushing the levels of hysteria, and finally it makes the administration jittery which makes them to either call the parties involved to the table for discussion or otherwise issue statements in the press. The fact that the ministry or the oil marketing companies are issuing statements that they will take stern action itself means that they are concerned and are getting jittery.

So, the objective is achieved and there is no need for the proposed action to be put into force as within the next few days there will be a sense of urgency shown from the concerned departments which otherwise was missing . To me nothing else creates more attention than panic messages and the best way to do this is to put out information in the media and given media's penchant for breaking news and converting anything into sensation it is easy to occupy everyones mind and vision. Also, with today's internet connectivity and high level of social media's penetration, it is very easy to create panic and the best part is that without our knowledge we aid those very things that we think is incorrect.

Cheers
sumzup is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 20:15   #60
BHPian

Government: Fuel stations won't shut on Sundays
Putting all the rumours and speculations to rest, the government has rejected the proposal by petroleum dealers to shut petrol pumps on Sundays. The petroleum ministry has snubbed the move by a section of petrol pumps dealers (based mostly in South India) to shut pumps on Sundays saying it will cause inconvenience to public. The ministry said it neither endorses nor approves of the move by a section of dealers.

Here is the detailed news report regarding the same... Courtesy: Indian Express
http://indianexpress.com/article/bus...tlets-4621327/

Last edited by ssambyal1980 : 21st April 2017 at 20:17.
ssambyal1980 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed