Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2017, 22:03   #16
BHPian

Re: A long battle against noise pollution - High Court, RTI, Police & more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
Hats off to you Sir. These stories show that as long as you have the patience and perseverance, the system does work. But more importantly, it is these stories that gives the confidence to others to take up similar matters to the authorities.
One of my relative, a senior citizen has been suffering from this noice pollution since his house is near a temple. We did talk to temple authorities but they had been ignoring the complaints.

What should be the next step? Should we file a complaint with police or should we go to Pollution Control Board?
I recommend writing to the Pollution Control Board via Registered post and immediately after a week filing an RTI regarding the status of the complaint with a photocopy of the complaint and proof of delivery to them. They will be forced to reply and assuming the laws are the same around the country, they will direct the local Police station to take action and mark you a copy. Don't bother going to the Police Station - just file an RTI once again this time with the police station with the relevant documents including the letter from the Pollution Control Board.

That should do the trick.
invidious is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th April 2017, 01:09   #17
BHPian

Dear Invidious,

Kudos to your efforts and persistence. Its an amazing example for many of us to replicate.

I think I am in a some what similar scenario like you and need some suggestion. I live on a stretch of road which is not too broad. A lot of multi level buildings have come up on this stretch in last 2-3 years. Most of these shops are commercial ventures and you assume the road becomes extremely crazy to drive specially early morning and evenings. Since all these buildings do not have any parking space so every one parks their vehicles on the road including owners and their staff. All the PSU and private banks, eating joints etc have a office on this road now. And I see a trend, more and more smaller shops are giving way to bigger showrooms/shops.

And this ways regular commuters like me are left with hardly one lane on each side of the road. We also have another menace in terms of public transport buses owned by private parties. They love to stop their buses at any place and can wait for their passengers to board till time immortal. This also leads to huge pile-ups around multiple times in a day.

The situation has become so bad that many of our family & friends have stopped visiting us because of these jams. Its a inconvenience to everyone. Therefore now something needs to be done.

I look forward to any suggestion or guidance from you.

Thanks & Regards
vikasshu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2017, 07:02   #18
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Indians are a noisy and cacophonous lot.
In every sphere of activity.
The sheer decibel levels are frightful.
The din is overpowering, which is why these modern cars with their excellent sound insulation make all the difference!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2017, 07:42   #19
BHPian

Since the topic is noise pollution, i would like to know the views of members about extreme noise from some brands of motorcycles.

Apparently more the noise, more buch/muscular the driver of such motorcycle feels himself.

While driving serenely in quite hours, I've been suddenly startled by the noise of such 'phut-phuts' coming either from left or right and whizzing past me. On few occasions my kids sitting beside me become suddenly afraid clutching my arm on the steering wheel.

Are there no noise control standards on exhaust of such two-wheelers?
I guess the 'noise', not the efficiency, is important part of the image of such brands.
DwarkaDelhiWala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2017, 11:20   #20
BHPian

Thanks for all the kind words; I didn't realize so many people would be affected by it. I've received PMs as well seeking advice in the matter. I shall set up a Folder on Google Drive with the documents I have - most are already scanned; some are not and I shall try setting up a PDF as well with a FAQ. Please give me a week or so; I shall also be blanking out my personal details - so please let me figure out how to go about it.

It is obvious every case is different. In hindsight, I had some really funny/bizarre moments which at that time left me exasperated. Once, an old Gujarati uncle who has illegally parked simply refused to give his license to the cop who had come and kept putting his cheek in front of me saying in Gujarati - "Manay bay majboot lafa maro pan police pasay nai - "Give me two tight slaps but don't take me to the police station". The cop behind him kept telling me - "Uncle kitna bhi bolay, tum lafa mat marna - assault ka case ho jaye ga." - "Don't hit uncle else it becomes a case of assault."

In another instance, the groom hadn't come or was delayed so they tied the horse to my gate and went away. The beat marshal who came was dumbfounded - "Main Ghoda ka kya karoon?" "What do I do with the horse?" I told him - "Call Animal Control" - neither he nor I found if such a department exists as the horse-owner came running.

Last edited by invidious : 17th April 2017 at 11:21.
invidious is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th April 2017, 11:39   #21
BHPian

Great to see your perseverance finally pay off. This is becoming a big issue in Bangalore with restaurants popping up everywhere with no parking. WHich ends up clogging the residential roads with valets sticking their cars wherever the feel like.
VellVector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2017, 13:58   #22
BHPian

You, Sir, have demonstrated immense perseverance and patience. I admire your courage and dedication to fighting the system and the culprits simultaneously.

Hats off to you (and presumably your family).
revvenant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2017, 17:20   #23
BHPian

Incredible indeed. Wouldn't have believed that such a turnaround could happen if not for a first person account. Thanks a million for posting.
megazoid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 08:04   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwarkaDelhiWala View Post
Since the topic is noise pollution, i would like to know the views of members about extreme noise from some brands of motorcycles. I guess the 'noise', not the efficiency, is important part of the image of such brands.
You've breached a controversial topic, but me not being one to shy away from controversies shall elaborate. Yes, the noise is part of the "image" of the bike, its attention grabbing to say the least. Owners of such bikes will say just about anything to defend it, however I feel the noise in certain cases is deafening and not good. I'm not saying the owners of Bullets or other Enfields or Harleys are all guilty, there are many of those I've seen who rev it responsibly and only cruise when in city and residential lanes, however those who just drop gears and raise the throttle to create havoc and gain attention in calm residential areas, I've nothing but disrespect for such riders.

Same goes for the modded cars. There is no excuse for making unnecessary engine noise where people have homes, it is anti-social, anarchic and period, psychotic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
Thanks for all the kind words; I didn't realize so many people would be affected by it.
I'm going after a food delivery service myself for reckless endangerment of lives via bad riding/rule breaking, not an associated topic but lets say, is my way to contribute to a safer, more humane society. They also indulge in errant parking as well. As for marriage halls, there needs to be regulations on where they are built and should be located in commercial areas with a lot of space inside (minimum 5-6 acres to accommodate cars, carts, people, food vans etc). We being one of the poorest countries on earth believe in marriages that are blow-out parties.. pomp, revelry, music, animal slaves, what not.. that's each one's personal choice but I guess we all should draw the line where other people are affected by such celebrations.

I know of a marriage hall here in Bangalore and the entire lane crossing is blocked off when the venue is in business, their private goons co-ordinate the vehicles coming into the venue by blocking off traffic when their visitors need to come out or go in. Long crawling jams are the result.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 23:16   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikasshu View Post
Dear Invidious,

I look forward to any suggestion or guidance from you.

Thanks & Regards
I shall be happy to help. This weekend, I shall prepare a doc with FAQs and share my documentation. If that doesn't help, please PM and I shall be happy to assist.
invidious is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 09:00   #26
Team-BHP Support

This is perseverance at its best and well rewarded. We have similar nuisance value in our locality. Not from a marriage hall but all the surrounding areas & grounds where the residents have loudspeakers blaring a few times a week. Its either random wedding type naach gaana, or some local kabaddi tournament where music or the "sports commentator" is blaring on the mike.

I wish we could do something to get these people to pipe down as well.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2017, 01:11   #27
BHPian

Sorry for the Delay -

First up - Here is a copy of the RTI Format for Noise Pollution. My personal information has been deleted.

You need to submit this with a Rs. 10 stamp - this is true for Maharashtra. From what I understand, some states have different rules. Please find out.

I do most of my work on Google Drive using Google Docs. But I have changed the Format of this RTI to .docx for Microsoft Word. If anyone has any issue opening it, do let me know and I will get it sorted.
Attached Files
File Type: docx RTItoPoliceStation-Generic-Noise.docx (7.8 KB, 376 views)
invidious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2017, 01:45   #28
BHPian

Second -

This is the Format of the letter sent as a Complaint before the RTI is filed. Again, I have deleted my personal information.

A copy of the letter was sent to 7 authorities.

1. Maharashtra Pollution Control Board
2. Assistant Engineer (Environment) - BMC - Local Ward Office
3. Chief Justice of Bombay High Court
4. Senior Inspector of Local Police Station
5. Chief Fire Officer - Mumbai
6. Minister of Environment for Maharashtra
7. Chief Minister of Maharashtra

Their addresses are attached for your reference. Depending on your location, obviously some addresses will have to be changed.

I forgot to add in my saga -

I had sent an additional letter (NOT RTI) to the Bombay Municipal Council as well because the letter from Maharashtra Pollution Control Board was addressed to both - Mumbai Police AND The BMC. I wasn't sure who would take the requisite action. It wasn't that I didn't want to file an RTI - I had taken up so many issues at that time to file RTIs that I ran out of the Rs. 10 stamps!

Much to my surprise, after the RTI reply from Mumbai Police was received, a BMC officer visited my place asking if my issue was resolved with a copy of my complaint!

Here is a copy of the letter sent to BMC too. Note: I have referenced the letter sent by Pollution Control Board to the Municipal Corporation.
Attached Files
File Type: docx Format for Noise Complaint.docx (6.2 KB, 334 views)
File Type: docx Noise Pollution Complaint - Letter to BMC.docx (5.6 KB, 370 views)
invidious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2017, 17:58   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Indians are a noisy and cacophonous lot.
In every sphere of activity.
The sheer decibel levels are frightful.
The din is overpowering, which is why these modern cars with their excellent sound insulation make all the difference!
Absolutely.

Just read some of the car reviews....

Pros
Twin horn is a boon.

Cons
Horn not loud enough.
Old 1st May 2017, 19:25   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post

Since then, there has neither been a procession nor has the road been blocked.

It took the better part of two years but finally I got them to stop.

I have most of the documents with me - if someone is facing similar issues, I shall be happy to share the documents with you via e-mail or on the cloud.

Moral - In India, you need infinite patience to deal with the system but if you keep at it they will finally do what is right.
Dear Sir,
I would like to seek your help on similar issue that we have been facing since a new marriage hall has opened up in our peaceful locality.

Waseem.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks