Team-BHP - Oil Ministry: To beat lines at Petrol Pumps, home delivery being considered
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   Oil Ministry: To beat lines at Petrol Pumps, home delivery being considered (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/186309-oil-ministry-beat-lines-petrol-pumps-home-delivery-being-considered-2.html)

I just have 1 question for my fellow bhpians -

1) What is this minister smoking?

I live in a city with most vehicles in India, New Delhi. Still, I don't think the queues at a fuel pump are that long that I start thinking about home delivery of petrol for my car.

Not to mention, what about the fuel that the delivery guys end up burning? This is as idiotic as the demonetization initiative. I think these guys get together in a room and place bets on who can propose (even better if implement) the most moronic of initiatives possible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A (Post 4187224)
I have not heard of this in any country, at least not for retail customers and not officially.

Well, there are a few startups (not in India) who have been into fuel delivery for some time now. I don't know if they are still operational but here's a report on them https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s-that-allowed

But definitely, I don't see this working out in India for the same reasons that other members have already mentioned.

Hi,

To me, this is some kind of a ugly joke for following reasons.

1. The scheme proposed is to stop queuing at gas station. The queue is bigger at CNG filling station than petrol pump. What you have so say about it. CNG Gas Cylinder home delivered. Please recall that your LPG cylinders (5 kg) are being also delivered at Petrol pumps.

2. If people are so concern with Queue (as its a waste of money and time), we have severe Queue problem at Highway Toll Plazas. FASTAG is just a eyewash (atleast in North India). Why not focus on ensuring efficient and professional toll plaza management by using faster server/computer, proactive/productive counter clerks, Exact change counters, unmanned counters for cash card and Paytm (so that others may not enter)

3. If my car runs out of fuel on highway, I do not get petrol in Can as it is danger and can be used for malicious intention, but I can get petrol delivered at home, intention is not questioned.

4. Some states dealers have called for weekly off of Petrol Pumps on Sunday, others are delivery at home. (Why both news at same time ?)

I think the reactions to this proposal are a little over the board. We do not know the finer aspects of what they are trying to do. Allow me to quote an example,

For many of the smaller apartment complexes (20 flats) or so, which have a diesel generator, wouldn't this actually be a blessing in disguise? for now, people ferry the diesel in cans and then pour some onto the gen set and keep some storage. There is a HP station near doddanekundi in Bangalore, which has a mini mobile fuel dispenser, but they only do it for bulk purchasers like IT complexes and not for smaller apartments. with the government officially making it possible, I am sure more such players will bring the fuel to the homes.

My thought is to wait and watch what form this would take.

While the risks of storing fuel at households in immense, this I believe will probably ensure people don't have to store fuel and just call for one when needed.

I don't think that Petrol/Diesel will be delivered in Jerry cans to store at one's home.
Apart from other funny / serious aspects, this concept itself breaks Petro corp's Rule#x - no filling in cans/bottles etc.
This will also go against stopping storage & black marketing of fuel(multiple requests from same family/group would result in storage / black marketing).

I think it will be more like LPG distribution - customer books via App, IVR etc, and a vending van would appear on a pre-agreed time for filling directly into the vehicle.

This way, instead of multiple vehicles idling & moving slowly for a couple of filling points, a single mobile filling point will move hence saving fuel & time.

I remember Kerosene delivered in 200 Liter drums a long time ago.

On the one hand I heard of a proposal to shut petrol (and diesel) stations on every Sunday. I couldn't figure how that would reduce the usage of petroleum products! It would only give opportunities for illegal sales to those who may be in a dire need.

Now we hear of them suggesting home delivery. Would one have to queue their vehicles at the spot of filling? As it is, the roads are chocked and they wish to add to the trouble!

I wonder where people come up such ideas from.

I support the move actually.

I am sure the delivery is not going to be in Jerry cans. I am sure a mobile vending machine is not too difficult.

and security concerns from arsonists is unfounded as all of are potential fuel sources for them in our cars and bikes.

I don't think this system will work as a on a need basics. more like the gas cylinder delivery. probably more efficient.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssambyal1980 (Post 4187034)

1. It would be quite risky to deliver petrol .

2. Even if fool proof measures are taken .. won't be wise to keep the fuel.

3. petrol pump dealers would have to invest in jerry cans,

4. As the delivery would cost a substantial sum of money,

To conclude, in a vast and populated country like India the implementation of this scheme is going to be quite difficult.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartcat (Post 4187065)
Arsonist friendly move by the Government if they go ahead with this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dailydriver (Post 4187129)

2. Unless the jerry cans are sealed like the petrol tankers .. adulteration is a given.

5. Would the delivery boy have to take mandatory lessons from his LPG counterpart

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssambyal1980 (Post 4187179)
Couldn't agree more...become a ticking time bomb.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyline_GT (Post 4187198)
A proposition like this in a country like India is just a bad idea.

1) Purity- Unlike food and other home delivered goods one cannot find out if the fuel delivered .

2) Storage- The government cannot take responsibility of the fuel once delivered. !

3) Safety- Safety and Fire Hazard w

4) Theft- .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anand3553 (Post 4187881)
This will probably work in a country where everything runs systematically.

Additionally, transporting these highly inflammable materials through the household areas... is a major risk.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fine69 (Post 4187886)
I just have 1 question for my fellow bhpians -

1) What is this minister smoking?

Not to mention, what about the fuel that the delivery guys end up burning? This is as idiotic as the demonetization initiative.

So much worries! that in turn create more reinforced worries and now by this post, this thread is like "oh my God, the world is coming to an end"

Just replace the word petrol with LPG. LPG too can be made into a bomb, it is already stored in homes and guess what, it is being burned right inside the house. You store another fuel in a sealed can outside the home, it is now a major safety issue!

Just a few suggestions. But I am sure the right brains will be able to better this.

Deliver fuel in translucent cans with measurement marks. The cans to be delivered, sealed from pump, to take care of can switching or adulteration. Only the customer can remove the seal. Just like LPG, it can be Aadhaar based enrollment, so the pump knows, to whom it was delivered and how much. If customer needs more, he/she has to return the previous can. Of course there will be a delivery charge, that is the revenue model.

Yes cost will be high. But then there are people willing to pay that.

For those who worry too much about safety of storing fuel at home, see the below video. You need a lot of Oxygen and a deliberate spark to start an explosion. Just like LPG. But then unlike LPG, full petrol fuel cans are far less dangerous than empty cans. LPG is dangerous even in full cylinder.
http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...gas-more-boom/

Diesel is even less volatile than petrol.

Every knife, LPG cylinder, rope, stone, words spoken, all can be made into dangerous weapons. The key is to focus on the delivery mode and storage. Safety issue is already there in our homes and society. Did removing sun film from cars prevent Nirbhayas from being raped on a daily basis? Everything in nature has a failure mode. But also a success mode. Focus on the success mode please. When Aadhaar started, lot of people said it cannot be done in a country like India, sighting all the failure modes. Same with demonetization. Today Aadhaar is something even developed and 'organized' countries are admiring with awe. But they just can't do it. We have come out of demonetization as if we took a shower. Fresh and with more vigor.
We need to come out of the mindset that, unless it is done in a developed country first, India cannot do it.

Home delivery of food, LPG cylinders, groceries etc obviously comes under the convenience category. To include fuel for automobiles in that category is carrying it too farlol:.

Filling fuel in our vehicles is a part of our responsibility of maintaining and using them. Of course, there could be exceptional cases of dry tanks in which case this facility can be introduced where in a phone call or an online request results in home delivery of fuel just enough to go to the nearest fuel station. To expect 70/80 litres of fuel to be delivered home to fill up SUVs? Wow!

While there will be beneficiaries of this, this is a highly risky thing to do. Oil companies are unable to monitor the fuel quality in their own pumps, and how are they going to do ensure the quality and quantity when its transported and delivered in mini-tankers? Its next to impossible in India given the current situation. Yes, genset operators can find it helpful if fuel can be loaded directly into those tanks.

Still, its more of a marketing gimmick rather than of a useful move to help common man.

Better one would be for the govt to come up with some system for essential things like supplying water, rather than petrol and diesel. Why cant they enable online ordering of water tankers instead of letting the water supply be run by some crooks and mafia? Govt has all the infrastructure to do this, but the politicians will never want to do that, unfortunately. Yes, there is a question of state and centre, but these issues are trivial when the need is so very critical.

BTW, BWSSB (Bangalore) does have a system to supply water in tankers to homes, but you will have to spend over a week to get one small tank to your home, and the process need to be repeated every time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Czarcarsm (Post 4188034)
So much worries! that in turn create more reinforced worries and now by this post, this thread is like "oh my God, the world is coming to an end"

Get me my LPG cylinder delivered ON TIME with the CORRECT AMOUNT OF LPG first.

Get me the RIGHT QUALITY & QUANTITY OF FUEL before you start delivering adulterated fuel at my doorstep.

Instead of focusing on improving the existing process one wants to introduce another process where lack of calibration, adulteration and bureaucracy is going to open another channel of corrupt practices.

I'm all game for getting everything online where I can order literally everything through an app but there are certain things that would help improve life to a minor extent while on the flipside open a significantly HUGE opportunity for bureaucrats to further rob taxpayers of their money.

So thanks, but no thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fine69 (Post 4188051)
Get me my LPG cylinder delivered ON TIME with the CORRECT AMOUNT OF LPG first.

Get me the RIGHT QUALITY & QUANTITY OF FUEL before you start delivering adulterated fuel at my doorstep.

Instead of focusing on improving the existing process one wants to introduce another process where lack of calibration, adulteration and bureaucracy is going to open another channel of corrupt practices.

I'm all game for getting everything online where I can order literally everything through an app but there are certain things that would help improve life to a minor extent while on the flipside open a significantly HUGE opportunity for bureaucrats to further rob taxpayers of their money.

So thanks, but no thanks!

Didn't quite catch that. Unlike LPG there are 'n' number of outlets for petrol and diesel. It is not a controlled market. You can get these fuels anytime you want.
Connecting LPG delivery issues to something that is easily available and then saying fix LPG issues first, is a totally different direction of discussion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by samaspire (Post 4187244)
Why isn't it possible that a tanker, similar to the one that delivers fuel to the pumps, be modified to have a dispenser with meter, etc. This could theoritically visit specific areas at specific times for everyone there to fill up - directly into their vehicles as in a fuel bunk. Sort of like a portable fuel station. Would work in densely populated areas.

So consume more fuel to sell fuel? :) I don't suppose those trucks run on solar power. Plus somebody has to maintain that truck so the cost will eventually add up to existing fuel price. The LPG delivery to your doorstep includes the delivery vehicle's associated costs. Since fuel arrives to pumps via tankers, having another tanker to sell fuel again seems like double work and double costs involved.

If the intent is to digitize payments why don't they just insist on payment by card or app at all the existing fuel pumps?
Barring some extremely remote villages i have never ever come across a shortage of fuel stations and Unless it is the evening before an announced strike i have never encountered the endless Que the article talks about.
Delivery of diesel for generators and heavy equipments used in construction projects already exists.
If the scheme does take off what happens to the millions of pump owners and workers who make a living off of it?

To be in the headlines even for a day our ministers utter the utmost bull these days!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackPearl (Post 4187190)
Why are we just thinking about jerry cans and push carts? Why can't the Tata Aces, Bolero Pickups etc be converted to mini tankers (like small municipal water carriers) who come to our doorsteps and fill petrol/diesel directly into the vehicles?

Many many years back, kerosene was distributed on carts like this:
Oil Ministry: To beat lines at Petrol Pumps, home delivery being considered-martinwickramasinghemuseum11.jpg

If these carts can have a proper dispenser, then auto-cutoff feature can be used :). So, It is possible to deliver petrol & diesel to homes. But the capacity is limited and delivery might incur transport charges.

Small sized oil truck.
Oil Ministry: To beat lines at Petrol Pumps, home delivery being considered-008ecb5ec6807629cf83fa8cf5fe5049_small.jpg