Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2017, 18:06   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Oil Ministry: To beat lines at Petrol Pumps, home delivery being considered

I am just thinking about the last time I had to wait in the queue at a fuel pump? Yeah, it happened on the night of Nov 8th, may be lets just stop doing something stupid and I will be fine and don't have to wait in a queue.

What a ridiculous thought to fix a problem that don't even exist!
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 18:09   #32
BHPian

I think with high vapor pressure of petrol combined with the hot summer condition and with careless smokers throwing around the lit cigarette, it's a recipe for disaster.

On a lighter note, I remember an episode of "It's always sunny in Philadelphia" where the gang tries to do the same.
krishnadevanur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 19:04   #33
Senior - BHPian

I see apartment complexes with DG set and small industries /agriculturists as clear beneficiary.

While large STP and Business parks can afford to get Diesel delivered at doorstep. In most big cities in residential apartments this duty falls on watchmen to bring Diesel in 20L jerrycans balanced on a two wheeler and these leaky jerrycans are stored in most unsafe manner next to DG set itself.
Same goes for SME who can not have legal Diesel storage.

I see an unnecessary hostility towards this proposal in this thread. Typical case of since I am not target audience I will criticise. May be this is not useful for Car and SUV owners in cities and towns. But think of various other consumers such as small industry/Shops, Rural people running Diesel water Pumps , Apartment complexes , People in remote areas where there is no petrol pump for 10 -20 Km.

Since they don't have required licenses etc they can not ( or rather should not ) buy and store fuel in bulk in drums. I am not saying it is not done currently but that storage is illegal and could be hazardous . A

Allowing fuel delivery at doorstep can curb the practice or illegal and unsafe storage done by small scale industry and individual users.

Last edited by amitk26 : 24th April 2017 at 19:16.
amitk26 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 19:09   #34
BHPian

If the intention behind home delivery is to reduce long queues, there are better options available.
1) Keep more petrol pumps open 24 hours. The Company owned and operated HP outlet a few km from my home, where I always tank up, has now, just a few months back, started operating around the clock. (Though air filling starts only at 7.00 am). So an early riser like me can go at 6.00am, when there is hardly any queue, and fill up.
Now if the additional staffing costs are an issue, then implement the following.
2) Have a couple of self service fuel dispensers installed where one can insert a credit card and fill up his/ her own tank. This practice is followed in most developed countries. As it is ,there are separate queues for 2 wheelers and 4 wheelers. So what will happen is owners can fill up using credit/debit cards and drivers bringing their employers' cars, can use the normal dispensers paying cash.
So again, queues will be shorter.
SanjayDalal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 19:25   #35
BHPian

Home delivery of food, groceries, drinking water etc come under the convenience category. To include fuel in this category is carrying it too far..

Filling fuel in our vehicles is a part of our responsibility in maintaining and usage of our vehicles. Of course, there could be exceptions like a dry tank in which case Digital India can make provisions to deliver a certain amount of fuel home. But to expect gallons of fuel to be delivered home like water tankers is truly an out of the tanker idea!
Old 24th April 2017, 19:41   #36
BHPian

Definitely a useful option for housing societies at least. We require around 200-300L of diesel every month to power the DG and getting the diesel at the door step would be very convenient. Doesnt sound like a practical proposition for individual vehicle owners though. Maybe a fleet company can order fuel at their own premises and get all their trucks fueled up, thereby reducing queues at the petrol pumps
Old 24th April 2017, 19:50   #37
BHPian

The whole idea seem to be based on some advice given to the minister on how to skip/sideline the dealers (who have been threatening lately). "Home-delivery" might have been one of them which was taken too seriously
bejoy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 20:04   #38
BHPian

Lol, I thought it was a joke or some spoof news. However, don't think it's such a bad idea after all. Like many have mentioned LPG is as dangerous has been delivered for ages, long ago we used to small carts vending kerosene. Though this may not be very beneficial, there a few who might benefit.

1. Apartment / small commercial buildings with DG setup.

2. People who are setting out on a long trip on a pre decided specific date and time. Especially before long weekends.

3. People who have multiple vehicles, used by spouses or kids or elders.

4. Fleet owners.

5. Car owners with disabilities.

6. Finally, Lazy people like me who will buy something online just because I need not move my posterior doing it.

I wish they did something about the queues at the toll gates instead...
anand.shankar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 20:23   #39
Senior - BHPian

For individual commuters, this is complete wastage of time & effort.

For bulk users, like for instance in large residential apartments or offices, where diesel is required in larger quantity, this 'home' delivery may help.
Old 25th April 2017, 08:01   #40
BHPian

I dont see a problem in the idea itself, as i know of WEFUEL and a few more startups who do this refilling services abroad. On the contrary, execution and monitoring of the idea is going to be difficult in here. Proper fire fighting equipment will be required, on the delivery truck along with annual checks of the equipment, which ofcourse can be bypassed here. In the event of a fire one may end up with a big disaster.

http:// http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/26/10829702/wefuel-app-launches-gas-delivery-silicon-valley
Old 25th April 2017, 09:14   #41
BHPian

IMO, if the cost of diesel /petrol for home delivery is the same or discounted, if ordered through some mobile application and with a guarantee of quality, then I would be a happy customer.

OT - Waiting for all major cities to have electric cars some time in the near future. All pollution problems solved. No more spurious petrol, no more lines, no more fluctuations in price.
Old 25th April 2017, 09:37   #42
BHPian

The business model of mobile fuel centers/delivery units is not a new idea. Its been there in the American market for more than 2 years; as seen here http://filld.com/

But yes, the probability of this working effectively in India might be extremely low, considering the carelessness of attendants, erratic traffic conditions and even cases where fuel remnants in the line could catch fire.

Maybe an overly safe system would need to be developed for the market.
qr20de is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 09:42   #43
BHPian

IMHO, this is just to tame the regular pump dealers who threaten strike at fall of hat.
There are so many items where an average citizen has to stand in queue. I doubt the Govt. is really concerned about 'lines' at petrol pumps.
DwarkaDelhiWala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 11:31   #44
BHPian

When we can buy 'mineral water' at Rs. 20 per litre without verifying its purity, why target fuel? Taking care of the human body is far more important than your vehicle.

If Indian Oil starts selling fuel in sealed packs, especially for two-wheelers, what is the problem? If you pass through villages, you shall see shops selling petrol for two-wheelers in used plastic water bottles. Go to any remote area of the country and you shall see the size of the container increasing with remoteness!

Many people are very particular about the quality of the fuel that they put in their vehicles. They have a designated 'trusted' pump from which they fill up regularly. Some of them might not be on your regular daily commute. Imagine if that guy could come and fill-up fuel in all my vehicles without my having to go over there! My favourite pump, when I'm in Uttarakhand, is 10 kms from my house. I have to take my 3 cars and 2 motorcycles there in turn to fill up. I tried two places nearby but the engine sound always changed when i filled-up there.

As one of our team-mates rightly said 'it's a choice we can decide not to make'!!
Alfresco is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 12:58   #45
BHPian

Seems like an impractical solution, to an almost non-existent problem (except remote areas of the country, where home delivery could be very useful).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfresco View Post
If Indian Oil starts selling fuel in sealed packs, especially for two-wheelers, what is the problem? If you pass through villages, you shall see shops selling petrol for two-wheelers in used plastic water bottles. Go to any remote area of the country and you shall see the size of the container increasing with remoteness!
Sealed packs is a good idea. Direct from Indian Oil, with no chance of adulteration will be brilliant! However, we still need to consider the cost of packaging and transportation, which will add to our already expensive petrol prices.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks