Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2017, 16:04   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 11% of accident-related deaths worldwide happen on Indian roads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The order and predictability is scary when you're not used to it, and I did not trust myself
This is exactly what I meant and I once met a friend who was frequenting South Africa over a long term assignment that he had there who said traffic jams are long lasting there too but no one gets impatient. However, he was also quick to mention that most of them who were breaking the rules were from India .

Forget South Africa, I know that even one of the closest neighboring country of Sri Lanka fares much better in terms of traffic discipline (than India of course).

But yes, as you mention, we may still not be the worst when it comes to accidents resulting in fatalities but at the same time, we may have had so many close shaves or have been the indirect reason for accidents involving some third parties like this:

Video category is tagged as "Entertainment".

At times, our speeds are too low due to snarls to cause only minor collisions than life threatening ones are most of the concentration of vehicles is around urban zones.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2018, 17:14   #47
Senior - BHPian

Re: 11% of accident-related deaths worldwide happen on Indian roads!

While on a routine stop at Swati Delicacy on NH75, I happened to click the following photo. The statistics put up by the Kunigal police tell a story that our daily reading of newspapers fails to.

11% of accident-related deaths worldwide happen on Indian roads!-img_20180129_085422.jpg
  1. In the year 2016, on a 28km stretch of highway between Anchepalya and Gondhihalli, a total of 130 accidents have been reported. 67 people have been killed and 175 injured in these mishaps.
  2. The corresponding figures for the years 2015 & 2014 are 125, 39, 155 and 144, 43, 163 respectively.
  3. That means a total of 399 accidents have happened in just three years, killing 149 and injuring 493.
  4. To put things into perspective, the above numbers mean that during 2014-2016, every kilometer of the 28km highway has claimed an average of 5.32 lives and one person has died on this stretch once in 7.34 days.

Shocking figures indeed.

Last edited by dailydriver : 29th January 2018 at 17:15.
dailydriver is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks