Team-BHP - Kerala MVD to suspend licences of traffic offenders caught since October 2016
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   Kerala MVD to suspend licences of traffic offenders caught since October 2016 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/187235-kerala-mvd-suspend-licences-traffic-offenders-caught-since-october-2016-a.html)

Malayala Manorama reports:http://www.manoramaonline.com/news/just-in/2017/05/26/kerala-to-suspend-driving-license-of-one-and-half-lakh-people.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by darklord (Post 4205816)
Malayala Manorama reports:
  • Licenses of traffic offenders caught since October 2016 to be suspended for 3 months effective this Saturday.
  • A total of 1,58,922 licenses to be suspended.
  • Specific listed offences include DUI, use of mobile phone while driving, speeding, signal violations (etc).
  • Apparently, according to Supreme Court guidelines.
http://www.manoramaonline.com/news/just-in/2017/05/26/kerala-to-suspend-driving-license-of-one-and-half-lakh-people.html

What nonsense?!

Some people dont even know what a lane is, forget discipline. Same case with overtaking through the left and more..

I just wish their speed cams are caliberated correctly. Where else on this world do you get your DL suspended for going at 1kmph more than the limit.In numerous places the limits way too unrealistic. Aahh.. enough of the rant. :Frustrati

Type in your car's reg. no. here and see if you are in trouble.:D
http://payment.keralapolice.gov.in/

Less than a month ago, our car was chauffeured and he stopped ahead of the line. If the cams were working, I should have receive a red signal jump ticket but luckily nothing has shown up in the website as of now.

If someone tries to fight it out legally, I think, it will be yet another failure for the Kerala govt. Is over speeding/signal breach, liable to the registered owner? What if the registered owner doesn't even have a license/or drives, what are they going to suspend ? What about out of state licenses/vehicles? No way that the license data base will be updated, with valid licenses issued more than a decade back.

If implemented, there will be no one on the road. :D.

On a serious note, WHAT A JOKE.

If serious, bring on a better solution. This current one is pathetic, there should be gradation based on the seriousness of the offense. What we actually need is a point based penalty on the license for traffic violations. Penalty points and its duration can be decided based on the severity of the traffic violation.

The license is suspended only if one is involved in five or more of these traffic offences from October 1, 2016 to May 25, 2017. The five offences are red light jumping, overload, driving without helmet, speeding, and drunk driving.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hindu
As many as 14,000 cases fall in this category, with one vehicle involved in 168 traffic offences. Twelve vehicles, including eight registered in Karnataka, are involved in 100 or more traffic offences.

For fatal road accidents, the driver’s licence will be suspended for one year and for drunk driving, the period is six months. It will be three months for all other offences. Three suspensions will automatically result in cancellation of licence.

The registered owner will be issued notice by the MVD and will get 15 days to appear for hearing.

The endorsements on the licence will be life-long. Inter-State vehicles that figure on the list will be nabbed at the check-posts.

source

^^ & all this is as per a SC order and in place since Dec'15 , I think.

Wonder why it took Kerala so long, to implement this !

11695 licenses suspended by MVD in July and August.

In August, most of the cases were related to use of mobile while driving, 511 cases, 432 licenses suspended; accidents, 235 suspensions; speeding, 226 suspensions.

Kerala MVD to suspend licences of traffic offenders caught since October 2016-f51be78c208a43978174020dc94d4b16.jpg

Thanks to clip and share facility of Mathrubhumi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by darklord (Post 4269667)
In August, most of the cases were related to use of mobile while driving, 511 cases, 432 licenses suspended; accidents, 235 suspensions; speeding, 226 suspensions.

No 'section 185' , DUI ! clap:
May be the Kerala Police would have been in the good Onam spirits and let the guys go free, :D or after the 'Highway bar ban', has this reduced ? OR were the numbers too high that even the government would have got shocked at the figures.

The 'published' cases are the ones which would have been actually 'charged' with the monies going into the Kerala exchequer, and the 'unpublished' catches would have served as the Onam bonuses. If every DUI case was really charged, I believe this would top the list.

Quote:

Originally Posted by darklord (Post 4205816)
Malayala Manorama reports:[list][*]Licenses of traffic offenders caught since October 2016 to be suspended for 3 months effective this Saturday.[*]A total of 1,58,922 licenses to be suspended.[*]Specific listed offences include DUI, use of mobile phone while driving, speeding, signal violations (etc).[*]Apparently, according to Supreme Court guidelines.

This is definitely a step in the right direction which will go a long way in curtailing indiscipline on the roads. Similar kind of measures are also being followed in Chandigarh City wherein the serious violations of drunken driving are inviting troubles for the offenders. In case of drunken driving the licenses of the offenders are sent to the court where they are made to stand outside the court till the rising of the court i.e for the whole day as punishment. And if is someone is caught thrice for drunken driving then license is cancelled for a period varying from three to six months as per the discretion of the court. These harsh measures have brought in the desired change as drunken driving instances have come down considerably.

Hi Folks,

I got a call from Kadavantra police station (kochi) , regarding remittance of fine for using Mobile phone while driving. My DL is issued in Kerala.
The officer said, that the incident was reported in late 2016.

Is there any way to find the offences like using Mobile phone while driving via online?
I checked the Kerala MVD website and could search offence only for vehicles.ie, there is no option to search for offences related to DL.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshiqueS (Post 4626255)
Hi Folks,

I got a call from Kadavantra police station (kochi) , regarding remittance of fine for using Mobile phone while driving. My DL is issued in Kerala.
The officer said, that the incident was reported in late 2016.

Is there any way to find the offences like using Mobile phone while driving via online?
I checked the Kerala MVD website and could search offence only for vehicles.ie, there is no option to search for offences related to DL.

Are you sure this is not a scam? There should be an official challan with the proof (CCTV footage of you using your cellphone while driving) that you should have received via post, email or even SMS, if your phone number is linked with your DL (assuming that's where they got your number from). Also, how on Earth would these people get to know your DL number? They can challan the vehicle, but nowhere is your DL linked with your car.

By the way, mParivahan app has an option to check for challans issued against DL. Don't know how effective it is though, but it shows no pending challans for my DL, and I've never been challaned. You should check it out once.

Just call the officer back, and ask him to send you a challan along with the proof (via email or post). If this is a scam, he'll try to bully you by saying things like "How dare you argue with the police?" etc., but don't give in. Also, in case you have to finally pay up, make sure you're paying online on an authentic government registered site.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshiqueS (Post 4626255)

Other than Kerala MVD, you can check Kerala Police website for any fines from them.

http://payment.keralapolice.gov.in/epayment.com