Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2017, 11:12   #1
BHPian

Avis self-drive car rentals in India

Hi Everyone,

Recently I was looking to rent a 7 seater car for our next 4 day trip with 5 adults and 4 year old kid. Checked out the usual Zoomcar, Myles, Revv etc. Then I came to find out that Avis is pushing very strongly in India and have a wide range of cars available.

I wanted to know if any of the forum members have had experience with Avis in India, and how was their view on car condition, service, assistance etc. Please share if you have more info, I wish to do booking soon.

I can see below features from casual browsing.
  • Free pick up and drop.
  • Most of the cars are available to pick and drop, round the clock, saving money on not having to book the previous night when starting early morning.
  • Unlimited kms. Rates are comparable inmost cases to Myles.
  • Good promotions going on. 25% off on mobile app.
  • 5000 Rs security.
Avis self-drive car rentals in India-screen-shot-20170617-11.05.21-am.png
Avis self-drive car rentals in India-screen-shot-20170617-11.05.42-am.png
Avis self-drive car rentals in India-screen-shot-20170617-11.05.52-am.png
autorahul is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 13:05   #2
BHPian

re: Avis self-drive car rentals in India

Thanks for sharing autorahul .

The terms in case of any third party damage is far more stiffer in case of Avis when compared to Myles, where one can opt for a comprehensive cover.

Last edited by GTO : 19th June 2017 at 11:09. Reason: typo
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 11:17   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Avis self-drive car rentals in India

Seems to be a small re-entry as Avis self-drives are currently available in a small number of cities (Mumbai not on the list). By the way, they used to offer self-drive rentals before - link.

Prima facie, pricing seems to be higher than Zoom, considering that fuel isn't included?

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
Free pick up and drop
Got to love the convenience . It's a win win. Benefit to them is no need to rent prime parking spots in the city. Cars can be stored in a cheap location anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
The terms in case of any third party damage is far more stiffer in case of Avis when compared to Myles, where one can opt for a comprehensive cover.
Does seem expensive. From their FAQ page):

Quote:
Damage cost up to INR 5,000 to be borne by the customer. In the case of a damage exceeding Rs.5000, insurance claim will be filed by Avis and the depreciation amount and the parts which are not covered under insurance to be borne by the customer.
Therefore, if you damage their car, it's 5K + whatever the insurance hasn't covered.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 12:29   #4
Team-BHP Support

If stricter terms mean I'll get an actual functional car and not a stinking hunk of junk posing as one, I'll gladly pay up.
Old 19th June 2017, 13:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Prima facie, pricing seems to be higher than Zoom, considering that fuel isn't included?

Does seem expensive. From their FAQ page):

Therefore, if you damage their car, it's 5K + whatever the insurance hasn't covered.
And I do not think they advertise what type of insurance coverage the car has. Zero dep is good to have, but if it is a plain jane comprehensive cover, better to avoid, since even removing a small dent & repainting can cost more than 5k at the A.S.S.
Old 6th July 2017, 01:33   #6
BHPian

Ok, so needed a big MUV for 6 people for coming long weekend around Independence Day.

The usual suspects were zoom and myles.
I am big fan of myles with more than twenty successful booking and not even one complaint.
Zoom is very cost effective for low mileage use with their lite plan and I can just about tolerate their poorly maintained vehicle.

However, Zoom has no proper 6 seater in their cavalry and myles innova are getting a bit old. I did not want to be stuck with a lakh+ abused innova for my trip to hills. Was looking for crysta but myles is not offering it yet.

After going through half a dozen other self drive options in capital (voler, revv, self drive, ecodrive, youdrive, me drive etc etc) stumbled upon Avis. They are back in India and have crysta in their lineup and are charging same amount as innova for it (other are charging double for crysta).

In addition they are offering free drop and pickup anywhere in Delhi NCR. This meant I could get delivery on the same morning as I want to leave at a location which no one else services (Faridabad).

Plus with 25% discount on their app it was no brainer with crysta working out to be a measly INR 11912 + INR 5000 security for 4 days against 25-30K with others.

With the decision made my misery started. Their web and app interface is very poor. Also the discount code was not working on App. A holler on their social media account got the wheels moving and after more than a dozen interaction with different avis representatives over two days, I was made to make a payment on a link with discount 'manually' done due to system error.

Since it is a manual booking it does not reflects in my account with Avis. I am hoping it does reflects in theirs.

I anyways made them send me a mail with complete details including pickup and drop off location. A few minutes later I got a message telling me that my booking has been modified and now pick up time is 02:50 against original 03:00.

I am keeping my finger crossed on this one. This experience is also uncannily similar to my first self drive experience with myles way back in 2013. deja vu Link here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3322838

I think I will give Avis a fair try, after all since my tryst with myles in 2013, true to my declaration then, I have never hired a driven taxi again.

cheers
Vishwas
Old 18th July 2017, 13:19   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

They just added an E-Class to their self-drive fleet. 9,500 / day - link.
Old 27th October 2017, 16:35   #8
BHPian

Feedback on Self Drive AVIS car booking @ Hyderabad,October 2017

Hi All
Had to plan an unscheduled trip to Visakhapatnam on 19th Oct 2017 along with 7 family members.
Checked Zoomcar and Myles but couldnt get a 7 seater Innova for my timings , maybe due to festival.
Got a quote for Innova Crysta from AVIS - 19500 for 3 full days (12 midnight), Full Tank fuel and unlimited Kms with free pickup and drop at customer location. Interstate tax would be extra to be paid by customer.
The security deposit was 5K. In the event of accident, the Rental policy terms state that any extra charges for repair beyond the 5K Security deposit needs to be paid by the customer.

Just 1 hour before drop time, AVIS team called up and informed that the Innova Crysta booked for me had been damaged by the previous customer and would not be delivered.They offered me a replacement XUV 500 ( new with less than 10k odo ) . Had to accept it due to the urgency of journey.

The vehicle was new XUV500 W6 variant with just 5K odo.
The driver was courteous and walked me through the checklist to check for Full tank fuel, any external scratches and tyre condition including the toolkit and spare wheel.Also guided me to check the cabin of car for neatness,AC settings, Radio connectivity on the ICE, Navigation and odo settings.He also fed the destination for me in Navigation.
He finally gave me a copy of checklist to sign along with all Vehicle documents. Fortunately the car had an ALL INDIA permit which was helpful since I did not have to pay Entry tax to Andhra Pradesh state.
AVIS team had advised me earlier that the State tax would be around 400-500 valid for 10 days. This was extra to be paid by customer.

Overall the car was good with almost nil scratches and the New car smell had still not gone in the cabin.
During the journey, the car performed well and kept us comfortable.

On the return date, the same driver called 4 hours prior to reconfirm my return time to Hyderabad.Had to return the car with a Full Tank fuel as per policy.The same procedure was followed by driver while collecting the car from my location.The extra hour was also not charged.Tipped the driver and called it a day.
The Security deposit would be charged back to the payment mode within 15 working days as per policy. Awaiting it.

Thanks
Alton is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 20:46   #9
BHPian

Anyone used the self-drive from AVIS in Bangalore recently? I made a booking for Innova today and later read that they have 80kmph speed governors installed in their cars, which is a bummer as we would be doing a 500km round-trip within a day and I am not sure how the 80kmph speed limit is going to affect the journey time.
Old 31st January 2018, 00:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
Anyone used the self-drive from AVIS in Bangalore recently?

Hi, I had rented a self-drive Innova Crysta from AVIS in Bangalore this month. It was an Oct 2017 manufactured vehicle in mint condition (just over 2500 km run), and there was no speed governor fitted to it. We did Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore runs at comfortable highway speeds.

If you are concerned, you can talk to someone in their corporate office in Gurgaon. I do not have the phone number handy, but can dig out if required. Let me know. Drive safe!
Viju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2018, 01:34   #11
BHPian

I booked for an XUV500 with Avis for the upcoming weekend. In the terms and conditions, I see that they have a clause for levying fines for speeding more than 90kmph. How will they know? Do they have any sensor?

I called their number which can be seen from their app +91 124 472 4888. The phone number on the website is not connecting.

Upon enquiry the support guy confirmed that the seating will be bench/sofa seats and not bucket seats. I was very much interested in this due to the convenience. So, it would be 2+3+3, though officially it is a 7 seater.

The free door delivery and 25% discount is still available to claim.

I will try to post review of the rental after completion of my trip.
Old 21st February 2018, 11:19   #12
BHPian

Update:

We did go ahead with AVIS for our 2 days of trip. We travelled from Bangalore -> Vellore -> Kanchipuram on Day 1 and Bangalore -> Nanjangud -> Chamundi Hills -> Bangalore on Day 2. Coming back to the self-drive experience from AVIS, I had made a booking for Ertiga which got upgraded to Innova on request. The MUV had 60K on ODO already and there was slight pulling to the left and vibrations on the steering wheel while driving due to which we had to firmly hold the steering at high speeds to avoid any unwanted pulling. The issue was mostly because wheel balancing/alignment wasn't done. Nevertheless, we went ahead with the trip and reported the issue to AVIS as feedback. The car performed well with 7 on-board, there was no speed-limiting device installed but we didn't push the car too much since we wanted a decent mileage as the fuel was on us. We managed around 12kmpl over a 1000km trip, which I think is pretty decent for a car of this size with 7 occupants. AVIS provides pickup and drop-off service which is very convenient for those who want to start early without worrying about the pickup and drop-off time. The driver arrived before time for delivery and pickup, took copy of Aadhaar and DL, showed us the vehicle documents and walked us around the car to take note of the scratches/dents and also the fuel quantity which was about 90% full. I had used Zoomcar on two occasions in the past and I feel AVIS is a bit better in terms of pricing and unlimited kms rental. The damage to the pocket was about 12K including rental and fuel expenditures. Overall it was a satisfactory experience and I will surely consider AVIS again in the future. The security deposit was 5K which will be returned within 15 days, I am still waiting for the same.
Funny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2018, 16:51   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_heart View Post
I booked for an XUV500 with Avis for the upcoming weekend. In the terms and conditions, I see that they have a clause for levying fines for speeding more than 90kmph. How will they know? Do they have any sensor?

I called their number which can be seen from their app +91 124 472 4888. The phone number on the website is not connecting.

Upon enquiry the support guy confirmed that the seating will be bench/sofa seats and not bucket seats. I was very much interested in this due to the convenience. So, it would be 2+3+3, though officially it is a 7 seater.

The free door delivery and 25% discount is still available to claim.

I will try to post review of the rental after completion of my trip.
Here is an update of this booking experience with Avis.
The vehicle was delivered on time and handed over as per procedure. There was a crack in windshield which would have been missed out if it not for the dawn coming up. That too was noted. Vehicle was XUV500 and had run 25k. It was a pretty good condition. I can't comment on condition of engine since this was my first drive in it.
I had rented for 2 days, around 41hours. Total cost came to Rs.7297, including insurance and excluding deposit of 5k. There is no limit on distance. Fuel has to be paid by ourselves. The deposit was returned the very next day, which was quite a surprise.
Vehicle return also was good. I had retained same level of fuel as when it was handed over.
I would not hesitate to use Avis next time as well.
rich_heart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2018, 20:19   #14
BHPian

Has anyone used Avis self-drive from Chennai recently?. Do they gave have the 80km/hour speed governor installed? Planning for a 900km round trip later this month. At-least 100km/h will be good.
Old 19th October 2018, 18:38   #15
BHPian

What are the interstate rules with Avis? Are their vehicles with all India permit. I was planning on renting their E class for two days for travel between NCR and Lucknow.

Last edited by haldar_siliguri : 19th October 2018 at 18:41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks