Team-BHP > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2018, 07:04   #16
BHPian
 
sanagg1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: HIMALYAS
Posts: 279
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Driving an 18-year old PB registered petrol car in Delhi-NCR?

Please excuse me for reigniting the old thread

After going through the thread I am still confused

Mates please help me understand only one thing ..
Is it legally allowed to drive a diesel vehicle older than 10 year dully registered in non Delhi-NCR in Delhi ?
sanagg1 is offline  
Old 21st August 2018, 11:08   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
joybhowmik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,380
Thanked: 2,064 Times
Default Re: Driving an 18-year old PB registered petrol car in Delhi-NCR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanagg1 View Post
Is it legally allowed to drive a diesel vehicle older than 10 year dully registered in non Delhi-NCR in Delhi ?
If the vehicle has a valid PUC, registration and Insurance - you can drive it without fear not only in Delhi but anywhere in India till the validity date of these documents.

That being said - if the vehicle is registered in Delhi , with valid PUC , Registration and Insurance - you will be able to drive it till the validity date of these documents. At the end of the 15th year the Delhi RTOs will not grant fitness certificate or extend the registration, or issue a NOC for out-of-state transfer of registration. At that point the vehicle has to be scrapped.

Between the 10th and 15th year , while you may drive the vehicle , you cannot transfer the registration of the vehicle to any one else in Delhi. The rules are unclear , if you may transfer the registration to an out of state person.
joybhowmik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 12:06   #18
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 5,224
Thanked: 6,207 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
If the vehicle has a valid PUC, registration and Insurance - you can drive it without fear not only in Delhi but anywhere in India till the validity date of these documents.
I disagree. The rule hasn't been defined exactly leaving room for a lot of misinterpretation. But from what I have understood is that:
1. No diesel vehicle can run on Delhi roads older than 10 years regardless of state of registration and what the rc says.
2. No petrol vehicle can run on Delhi roads older than 15 years regardless of state of registration and what the RC says.
The above includes even a valid fitness certificate etc issues from another state RTO.

Rule specific to Delhi:
1. No transfer of ownership or fitness certificate for more than 10 year old diesel vehicle and more than 15 year old petrol vehicle. One is free to scrap or sell it out of state.

Rule least defined and needs clarity:
1. Issuing of NOC for purpose of selling a more than 10 year old diesel and 15 year old petrol vehicle outside Delhi. A lot of people are hence selling in the penultimate or last year to outside state buyers since they can obtain a NOC. There are mixed reports about issue of NOC too once the age of the vehcile has crossed the stipulated years with few people claiming they have managed to procure it while others say they have been refused.
drmohitg is offline  
Old 21st August 2018, 17:11   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
joybhowmik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,380
Thanked: 2,064 Times
Default Re: Driving an 18-year old PB registered petrol car in Delhi-NCR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
1. No diesel vehicle can run on Delhi roads older than 10 years regardless of state of registration and what the rc says.
I respectfully disagree Sir. I had a detailed discussion about this with the GM of the Toyota Workshop here. The upshot is that in Delhi (and indeed anywhere in India) one can drive a diesel vehicle > 10 years and <= 15 years vintage subject to valid papers.


Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Rule specific to Delhi:
1. No transfer of ownership or fitness certificate for more than 10 year old diesel vehicle and more than 15 year old petrol vehicle. One is free to scrap or sell it out of state.
I agree. By that token I have decided to not sell our ageing Delhi registration Innova - choosing to continue with it until the end of 15th year. This however does not apply to vehicles registered outside Delhi

Last edited by joybhowmik : 21st August 2018 at 17:12.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 21:03   #20
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 5,224
Thanked: 6,207 Times
Default Re: Driving an 18-year old PB registered petrol car in Delhi-NCR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
I respectfully disagree Sir. I had a detailed discussion about this with the GM of the Toyota Workshop here. The upshot is that in Delhi (and indeed anywhere in India) one can drive a diesel vehicle > 10 years and <= 15 years vintage subject to valid papers.
Whats the definition of valid papers? All RCs, atleast the ones issued before the NGT ruling were for 15 years. So does that mean you can drive for that long in Delhi and then scrap the car or sell it out of state?

Can't we file a RTI or shoot a mail to the RTO regarding this query? My altis diesel is 7 years old now and is in flawless condition. I have been looking to sell it only for the fear of the 10 year rule.
drmohitg is offline  
Old 22nd August 2018, 08:17   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
joybhowmik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,380
Thanked: 2,064 Times
Default Re: Driving an 18-year old PB registered petrol car in Delhi-NCR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Whats the definition of valid papers? All RCs, atleast the ones issued before the NGT ruling were for 15 years. So does that mean you can drive for that long in Delhi and then scrap the car or sell it out of state?
Validity date of all papers should be greater than or equal to current date. The papers are PUC, RC and Insurance.
a) No petrol bunk issuing PUC may deny a test if RC is valid even if the vehicle is > 10 years old but within RC validity date.
b) Insurance companies must offer insurance for valid RC. They cannot deny Insurance if the vehicle is > 10 years.
c) RC itself will not be amended by the authority. Key point is that the Govt has expressed inability to return road tax paid upfront at the time of purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Can't we file a RTI or shoot a mail to the RTO regarding this query?
Good idea to file an RTI. Emails will probably not be responded given the laxity in the department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
My altis diesel is 7 years old now and is in flawless condition. I have been looking to sell it only for the fear of the 10 year rule.
I for one, as I said , am not parting with my diesel Innova (of 9 years vintage). I am assured of parts availability until Y15 by Toyota. I am certain MS will do the same for its valuable customers. Having said that some manufacturers may decide to force parts support withdrawal to generate new vehicle sales. A despicable practice if I were to say so.

Last edited by joybhowmik : 22nd August 2018 at 08:34.
joybhowmik is offline  
Old 22nd August 2018, 09:01   #22
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 12,586
Thanked: 7,731 Times
Default Re: Driving an 18-year old PB registered petrol car in Delhi-NCR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
a) No petrol bunk issuing PUC may deny a test if RC is valid even if the vehicle is > 10 years old but within RC validity date.
As a general rule, the testing centre cannot refuse testing. In places where the 10 year rule is not there, and you have a vehicle with expired RC, you would need the emission test results to be able to apply for RC renewal.
condor is offline  
Old 22nd August 2018, 12:24   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
wanderernomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 2,493
Thanked: 1,011 Times
Default Re: Driving an 18-year old PB registered petrol car in Delhi-NCR?

As from a legal point of view no vehicle with valid RC, Insurance and PUC shall be denied to be plied on road. This is also true for NCR as the MV act has not been amended to that extant. Further, it is also true that due to the confusion prevailing on the issue, the Delhi police is known to fleece the car owners who have valid papers but the vehicle in question is above the stipulated age. Recently, there was a news item where in the traffic wing was on record saying that during routine checks, if the vehicle is found to be above the stipulated age, they are impounding the said vehicle. How far it is true, I dont know, as I am yet to find someone having a personal experience of the same.

Last edited by wanderernomad : 22nd August 2018 at 12:25.
wanderernomad is offline  
Old 22nd August 2018, 22:07   #24
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 5,224
Thanked: 6,207 Times
Default Re: Driving an 18-year old PB registered petrol car in Delhi-NCR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Recently, there was a news item where in the traffic wing was on record saying that during routine checks, if the vehicle is found to be above the stipulated age, they are impounding the said vehicle.
Exactly. This is why I am forced to believe that it will be tough to drive a 10 year old diesel vehicle and it is just a matter of chance before one is caught. As per driver accounts, maximum incidents of such checks are at the approach and exit roads of the T3 airport.
drmohitg is offline  
Old 23rd August 2018, 11:43   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
joybhowmik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,380
Thanked: 2,064 Times
Default Re: Driving an 18-year old PB registered petrol car in Delhi-NCR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Exactly. This is why I am forced to believe that it will be tough to drive a 10 year old diesel vehicle and it is just a matter of chance before one is caught. As per driver accounts, maximum incidents of such checks are at the approach and exit roads of the T3 airport.
Agree it may be tough - but for me what's tougher is letting go of a perfectly good car that's fully paid up for, only 2/3rd of the way into the lifetime. To add insult to injury, I would have to pony up Rs 24 Lakhs for a replacement , which by most technical accounts is not a worthy successor to the one I have!

I would rather argue the point with the cops, assuage any hard feelings with "tea-money", and be on my way. On the face of it, even if I do get challenged 5 times a year - that's just Rs 500/- per year for the next 6 years. A small price to pay- to stand for what's right!
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2019, 17:41   #26
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 162
Thanked: 481 Times
Default Re: Driving an 18-year old PB registered petrol car in Delhi-NCR?

Sorry for bumping up this old thread, but my querry is of a similar nature.

Can I buy a 10 year old Diesel car in Delhi, get it registered out of state, say UK, and then continue to drive it in Delhi NCR?
HyperRetard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2019, 18:05   #27
Distinguished - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,557
Thanked: 5,002 Times
Default Re: Driving an 18-year old PB registered petrol car in Delhi-NCR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperRetard View Post
Sorry for bumping up this old thread, but my querry is of a similar nature.

Can I buy a 10 year old Diesel car in Delhi, get it registered out of state, say UK, and then continue to drive it in Delhi NCR?
You can't buy a10 year plus one day old car if it's registered in Delhi. No noc will be issued. So you can't register it in UK.
Next step, if an out of state car older than 10 years is caught plying in Delhi, not ncr, you'll be fined 15k, and have to make a court appearance. Next offense in Delhi is seizure of car.
Hope that answers both your points.

In other news, I managed to get a PUC from hapur on my way to that area. So that means I'll have to plan quarterly vacations to the mountains.

Last edited by mayankk : 10th March 2019 at 18:07.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2019, 18:12   #28
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 162
Thanked: 481 Times
Default Re: Driving an 18-year old PB registered petrol car in Delhi-NCR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
You can't buy a10 year plus one day old car if it's registered in Delhi. No noc will be issued. So you can't register it in UK.
Next step, if an out of state car older than 10 years is caught plying in Delhi, not ncr, you'll be fined 15k, and have to make a court appearance. Next offense in Delhi is seizure of car.
Hope that answers both your points.

In other news, I managed to get a PUC from hapur on my way to that area. So that means I'll have to plan quarterly vacations to the mountains.

I assume yours is a 15+ year old petrol.

So this fine + seizure is only for 10+ year old diesels, while 15+ year old petrols can ply just fine?

Interesting.
HyperRetard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2019, 18:15   #29
Distinguished - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,557
Thanked: 5,002 Times
Default Re: Driving an 18-year old PB registered petrol car in Delhi-NCR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperRetard View Post
I assume yours is a 15+ year old petrol.

So this fine + seizure is only for 10+ year old diesels, while 15+ year old petrols can ply just fine?

Interesting.
Mine is a 14 year old Diesel. For petrols, anything over 15 years is in the same boat.
mayankk is online now  
Old 29th March 2019, 16:32   #30
SCH
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Kashipur
Posts: 162
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Driving an 18-year old PB registered petrol car in Delhi-NCR?

My Honda city Petrol was March 2004 registered at Delhi. I got a NOC in Dec18. Since I am now staying at Uttarakhand; I got it reregistered for another 5 years by paying road tax/ green tax till March 2024and have a new UK number.

The RTO at Uttarakhand says that now since I have a new registration I can drive anywhere in India till March 2024.

Though the same needs to be verified at Delhi RTO.
SCH is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks